Let's learn together!

Okay, this is more of a question than I learned something myself.. am I just not finding it, or do we need to know the Hex# for group colors now? They used to be right there in the color pallette.

I feel crazy cause I swear I saw this show up in shouty and answered it there, but I believe the colours reset to the default ones for now. If they don't switch back, you can use this code:
Code:
 [class=HOUSE/USERGROUP] TEXT[/class]
So for example above, I used:
Code:
[class=Hufflepuff]this code[/class]

things I learned. if you want to see your post in the bb code before posting or edit the bb code the button click the three squares next to the preview button then it is the button that looks like [ ]

as for colours you can also use the pantone names for the colours inside the color= code. which for houses and professors are (i might not have the green exactly right)
darkgoldenrod
mediumblue
firebrick
green
midnightblue

The hex codes are:
#b22222 - gryffindor
#b8860b - hufflepuff
#006400 - slytherin
#0000cd - ravenclaw

if folks wanna use the hex codes

Yes, the ability to edit the colours in the colour picker is one feature we've lost (at least for now).
as far as what the colours are: there has long been a site doc for that! https://hogwarts.nz/docs/#Styling

I feel crazy cause I swear I saw this show up in shouty and answered it there, but I believe the colours reset to the default ones for now. If they don't switch back, you can use this code:
Code:
 [class=HOUSE/USERGROUP] TEXT[/class]
So for example above, I used:
Code:
[class=Hufflepuff]this code[/class]
You are not crazy because I posted it in the chat, thought I should just post it here, and then deleted it like a minute later. Sorry :doh:

And thank you, all! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

This might be common knowledge now, but I just discovered that you can change the banner behind your avatar on your profile page. It also shows up when you hover over your name/avatar. The black stroke around the name isn't the prettiest thing, but I'm enjoying the feature.

(As a warning, I've found that cluttered images don't look great. I tried using Harper's Pinterest aesthetic, and it looked horrible).

This might be common knowledge now, but I just discovered that you can change the banner behind your avatar on your profile page. It also shows up when you hover over your name/avatar. The black stroke around the name isn't the prettiest thing, but I'm enjoying the feature.

(As a warning, I've found that cluttered images don't look great. I tried using Harper's Pinterest aesthetic, and it looked horrible).
Sorry, this was a feature we meant to explicitly disable for users. I trusted it was disabled by default when the "registered" group didn't have permission to use it after upgrade - this was my mistake, as every other group did apparently. I've just gone through and disabled it fully.

Was just talking about this in shouty, but here it is for this thread too!

If you want to register multiple accounts with the same email address, (so that your PMs will all be sent to your main email address, for example,) there's a little workaround for this. Adding a + and a few numbers to the end of the username for your email address (not the entire address) will allow you to reuse the same email again and again, so you can link as many accounts as you like to the same email address. For example, if I've registered Account 1 with email@email.com, in order to link Account 2 to the same email address I would put email+1234@email.com, and still be able to receive emails from Account 2. You also don't need an email address if you register via the sub accounts page, but if you'd prefer to have one for communication purposes, the numbers are an easy workaround :3 (I'd recommend turning off news & activity summary emails with all but one of your accounts though, so you don't get the same emails over and over again :r )

The plus sign works in gmail for sure, but I don't think all email providers necessarily treat "+" addresses as the same inbox.

Addendum from the conversation in shouty: https://hogwarts.nz/shouty/message/42369/view
Using a temporary email address is a tremendous security risk if it's one of those "disposable" addresses. Anybody who knows the address can get to the inbox, and from there they could reset the password and access all other sub-accounts. Do no email address before you do a disposable address. D:

one thing I have known for a while but may not be widely known is if you want to search for someone by a partial name (such as last name) the member search doesn't work
But you can search in the gradebook or inventory and it will show all the accounts with that letter combination.
the exception for this is if you get the exact match for an account name in which case you just need to search for one less letter.

The plus sign works in gmail for sure, but I don't think all email providers necessarily treat "+" addresses as the same inbox.
Only just spotted this & very good to know but will add that it works for me on Hotmail too, so seems to be a functional system for Hotmail/Outlook accounts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back