Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
12 and a half inches willow with unicorn hair
Hi guys!!

Welcome to the first character spotlight of 2019! The character spotlight is where we, the site staff, like to take an opportunity to highlight the hard work so many of our RPers put into their characters, their bios and their roleplaying. We like to aknowledge these wonderful people, and their wonderful characters, because they give so much to the site, and we can all learn from them.

In the interest of learning, the character spotlight is going to gain a new addition, starting now! We're going to set up another section of shouty, where we, as a site, can ask the roleplayer of the highlighted character questions, discuss our favourite aspects of the character, or the writing, maybe even just talk over some of our favourite roleplays they've been involved in!

So, without further preamble, our highlighted character this month is Elliot Briar! Elliot is roleplayed by the wonderful Kris, and his bio is an excellent read! Congratulations Kris, and thank you for gifting us all with a character it's so fun to read! Also, make sure to check out the new shouty room and get chatting!

AND SO, as you may have expected, we asked Kris to answer a couple of questions...

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?

Besides this, it was mostly disbelief. I swear I've only joined the site like 3 months ago yesterday.

What was the inspiration for your character?
Elliot and I share a lot of traits, especially his nervousness (also the half-kiwi half american part), but he's also heavily based on the character I was rp-ing on the Hogwarts Mystery mobile game at the time I joined the site hahah :shifty:

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
Ohh, I think it's a tie between Blind Leading the Blind and Stars and Snacks

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
It hasn't really come up yet in his plots, but Elliot has a complicated relationship with his family. He struggles to relate to his dad and his mother often forgets he's a kid and not her friend which puts a lot of stress on him. I really relate to those dynamics a lot of can't wait to explore them as he gets older.

Your least favourite aspect?
He wants everyone to like him so much and just worries all the time! And so do I, which is an exhausting headspace to be in. I already worry enough about what I'm writing to have to worry about what he's worrying about too.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
Yes and no. I love my soft boy, he's such a big sweetheart. But I also have no idea how to talk to "kids" and fear I would try to mentor this tiny child and embarrass myself.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
I use roleplay to explore (often exaggerated) ideas, traits, or dynamics either in myself or that I see in people around me and find interesting. Not only is it hugely personally satisfying, but I think it adds a layer of relatability or realness to characters.

Your weakness?
I love focusing on tiny details and often get too caught up in pre-established ideas rather than letting the character grow organically as I play them. Reminder to self, let go of the reins every now and then..

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
Variety! Try different dynamics or traits you'd never consider in the same character before. Real people are hugely contradictory and it can be interesting to challenge yourself in a certain character you might have not explored before

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
Everything is still new to me so anytime an event or new class starts I'm excited. But definitely looking forward to the new school year and new characters

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
Besides how amazingly welcoming and lovely everyone on the site is, HNZ gives me the kick I needed to start writing pretty much every day. I've never done forum RP before but I missed writing so much. It's been nice to get back into something that I love with such a great community :wub:
WELL DONE KRIS!!

Now, everyone let's head over to shouty and gush about this gem.

Maia :maia:

~on behalf of the site staff

Nicolas King

"I am the hero who eats the lesser man..."

OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Hey Kris - congrats! I wonder what it's like for Elliot to be going to wizarding school in New Zealand (where his mother father lives) and not in the United States (where his magical mother lives). Did that surprise him? Seems like his worlds are colliding in unexpected ways, perhaps!

Elliot Briar

Softie | Patient | Nervous™

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Alder Wand 13 3/4" Essence of Dragon Heartstring
Ahh, thanks Nick! While the HNZ letter was a little unexpected, in my mind Elliot chose HNZ over Ilvermorny or other schools as an intentional attempt to be closer his dad's side of the family a bit more. He doesn't get to spend a lot of time with his NZ family so it seemed like a good idea at the time. They both suck at communicating with each other though so things are currently still very awkward oops. Him not going to Ilvermorny is actually a point of contention with some of his US family, and something I hope to get into plotwise when he's older...

Hayley Elridge

6th year | Snarky | Artist | Punk 🔥 Revolutionary

OOC First Name
Jasmine
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
lesbian
Wand
Straight 13 Inch Flexible Ash Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
WOOO KRIS CONGRATULATIONS
I love Elliot so much, he's such a sweet lovely boy

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Fashionable | Hufflepuff 💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Congratulations Kris!!! That's so awesome and SO deserved. I love Elliot, he's such a sweetie!

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼queen of flowers🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Congratulations Kris!!!! This is so deserved, Elliot is wonderful and it's been so great RPing with you the past few months! :hug:

Sara Moon

Former 'Claw | Auror | Grieving

OOC First Name
Maia
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
12 and a half inches willow with unicorn hair
Congratulations again Kris! I was wondering if Elliot's sorting had any impact on his development, were you expecting Hufflepuff?

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Thank youu :wub: I'd pretty much always seen (and hoped) Elliot would be a puff. He's pretty much the definition of one and (currently) doesn't really have any major drives beyond friends and staying out of trouble. I'm looking forward to the upcoming sorts with a few more wildcards though. I will definitely say he's gotten to have some wonderful RPs with his fellow puff 1st years and I'm so so grateful for that

Charlotte Owens

holyhead harpies chaser | pregnant

OOC First Name
kaye
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Dan ♡
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Unyielding Dogwood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Congratulations!! This is so well deserved :party:

We have never RPed before but this needs to change! Elliot is such a good character and I think it will be fun :wub:

Samuel Phillips

Part-Veela | Artist | Scrivenshafts Owner

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 1/2" Flexible Cypress Wand with Veela Hair Core
Congrats!! Elliot is such a sweet character :D

Rama Mowry

abrasive ♦ soul searchin ♦ florean's cashier

OOC First Name
Lovi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
bi (syrus)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Unyielding Mahogany Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Congrats!! Well deserved!

Professor Monty Pendleton

Inventor | Potions 1-4 | Adoptive Father | Deputy

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
I got a question! (or maybe two) ^_^ What trait do you think Elliot values most in his friends? What does he look for in a person when deciding whether to befriend them or not?

Athena Holmgaard

Danish | Motivated | Musically | Organized

OOC First Name
Jamie
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Curved 10 Inch Rigid Rosewood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Congrats Kris! I like Elliot really much and hope we get to plot more together! ^_^

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Ohh that's tricky :erm: - Right now he's often so wrapped up in hoping everyone likes him he doesn't often consider whether he should care if they do or not. He definitely seems to hit it off best so far with the other quieter students. He's quick to want to reassure and make others comfortable, which can bring out a good friendship in more timid characters. For the...louder.. and more confident kids this could lead to more trouble if he just keeps letting them run over him, something I'm hoping to get into with a few people's characters..

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
So I guess to answer the question is: The criteria is very very low and (hopefully) that will make things go badly interesting for him down the way <_<

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Congrats, Kris! So, in terms of character development, what came first for Elliott: his avatar, name, personality, other?

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Ohh, I was talking about this the other day actually. With Elliot, it was definitely Name - Personality - playby/avatar - and then some more personality. I'd never done an RP with playbys or avatars before so it was a struggle to finally find someone who "fit".

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼queen of flowers🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
I know you said you always expected Elliot to be a Hufflepuff, but which house would you consider the second most likely? I'm always curious about secondary houses :p

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Ohh that is tricky, Rowan. I feel I have to reverse engineer that. He's so methodical and reserved that immediately rules out Gryff, and he's lacks any real ambition or cunning motivations to put him in Slytherin, so I would have to settle on Claw. He's pretty academically driven, though outright creativity is a bit daunting since he's very of Being Wrong. So only barely claw

Nicolas King

"I am the hero who eats the lesser man..."

OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Or, to put another spin on Rowan's excellent question: If Elliot did go to Ilvermorny, would he be a Pukwudgie? Or would the slight twist on the houses make him be something else?

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
I have actually considered that one for once! Pukwudgie is definitely the best fit. He has a cousin in Thunderbird, so the temptation would be there to want that house, but I doubt the Thunderbird would want him (sorry, El). He's just not the adventurer type. At least not without some outside intervention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)