Character Spotlight: November

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening!

Character Spotlighting is definitely one of my favorite things that we do on HNZ. We get to show off your amazing characters, hard work and creativity with the rest of the site, and pick your brains to see how your creativity works and what advice to you can give us.

For those of you who don't know what this is, once a month we like to show our appreciation for a character we feel is particularly amazing or well developed by shoving them into the spotlight, so that you guys can learn more about the character and the inspiration behind it! Sometimes we pick a character because they have an incredible biography, an awesome character development, or simply because we think the roleplayer deserves some recognition for all the time and hard work they've put into them.

This month, we've decided to spotlight the amazing and wonderful Harper Alston!

Make sure you have a look at her amazing Biography, Pinterest Aesthetic, and Mixtape, and make use of our Spotlight shouty chat to ask some questions and congratulate Ana on such a phenomenal character!

As per usual, we asked Ana some questions,
What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
Shock. Harper's still a fairly new character, so I was surprised that she was chosen. But also excitement from knowing that someone had read Harper's (kind of lengthy) bio and had liked it enough to consider spotlighting.

What was the inspiration for your character?
When I made Harper, I knew I wanted an active and extroverted character. I was in a bit of a rush to get her sorted, so I borrowed parts of her personality and interests from a couple of fictional characters I liked and thought would be fun to write. After figuring out her backstory (middle child of a large muggle family), developing the rest of her personality became much easier and she morphed into a more original character.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
I love chaos and drama, so it's probably a tie between A Toast to Trouble and The Social Event of the Season. But I've been lucky in that all my RP partners have been great, and I've truly enjoyed all of Harper's threads.

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
Even though her being a muggleborn is occasionally exhausting (she has to react to every new magical thing she encounters), it's been a surprisingly good source for plot ideas, and I've enjoyed watching her worldview develop with each new lesson/magical experience. It will probably also lead to some angst in the future, which should be fun to explore. She grew up in a very tight-knit community, where she had a lot of close relationships with family and friends, but then she was ripped away from that and thrust into a completely new world where she's considered a minority. Someday the novelty of magic will wear off, and she will have to deal with being caught between these two worlds.

Your least favourite aspect?
Her lack of interest in joining the Quidditch team. Sometimes I find her easy-going nature difficult to write, especially when she gets into hostile environments. It's a delicate balance trying to figure out what would bother her and what would not. I want to make sure she stays in-character and her actions are true to her easy-going personality, but at the same time, it would be unrealistic if she never got angry or upset.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
Of course! It would be so cool to see a character you created in real life. Given the age gap and different interests, I'm not sure we'd have much in common. In fact, she'd probably find me a bit boring, but at least she'd be nice enough not to say anything about it.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
I think I'm pretty good at coming up with initial concepts for each character and writing a bio that is cohesive and makes sense. In general, if you point to a personality trait one of my characters has, I can tell you why they have that trait and what factors of their history contributed to that. I try to have IC reasons for every main aspect of a character's personality.

Your weakness?
Probably everything that comes after writing the bio. I'm not great at coming up with big, dramatic plots, and when I do have ideas for character arcs or struggles, I find it hard to turn them into concrete threads. Also a lot of the arcs/struggles that I gravitate towards are internal conflicts that I find difficult to transfer to a RP environment, where everything is defined by a character's interactions with others.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
I think taking the time to flesh out a character's history helps a lot with uncovering a character's motivations and further developing their personality. If you keep on asking why, you'll force yourself to uncover more and more information about your character. Also don't be afraid to throw your character into random or difficult situations since you never know what plot ideas might emerge.

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
The Yule Ball should be fun. It seems that the big school events attract a lot of drama, and I'm looking forward to seeing what goes down this year. I'm also looking forward to the next Quidditch game since I find the dynamic of the Ilvermorny team amusing, and I've enjoyed reading their practice thread.

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
Definitely the creativity. I love reading all of the plots and threads and bios you guys come up with (shoutout to the people who link threads in their bios for easy stalking). I've been really impressed with the writing and creativity of everyone here, and I've had a lot of fun following all the dramatic, angsty, funny, sweet, heartbreaking, chaotic threads.

Congratulations Ana!
~Emzies
(On behalf of the site staff)

Hildegard de Valeriane

Candy distributor and apprentice ghost hunter

OOC First Name
Janna
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Spruce wood with a dragon heartstring core, 11 3/4" and suprisingly swishy flexibility
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana !!! :party: :party::party:

Ruben Right

Triplet| Moody| Friendly| Stubborn

OOC First Name
Ruben
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bi
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Flexible Elm Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
THAT'S MY GIRLLLLLL:party::party::party::party::party:GO ANA!!!!! CONGRATSS!!!!!

I don't wanna be that person but...the threads you chose as you favourite have 1 thing in common...Blake Lodge...you don't love drama, you love her😌😌😌=))=))=))I rest my case

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼ollivanders asst🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana! Harper is great (and that BIO WOW so much detail!!) and this is so well deserved!!

2 questions though..... how would Harper feel if Lila or Ryland got a Hogwarts letter? And why isn't she interested in Quidditch??

Amber Chou Wilson

πŸ’— Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 GradπŸ’—

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana!

River Hopkins-Vance

Metamorphmagus, Persuasive Writer, Sister

OOC First Name
Sam
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Unknown
Wand
Straight 10 Inch Flexible Fir Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana! Harper has been amazing to role play with! :) Her personality always shines. She is so well developed and your bio is amazing :)

Poppy Perkins

Chronically Enthusiastic 🌼 HM Assistant Editor

OOC First Name
Kadi
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Sturdy Vine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana! Harper is great! ^_^

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congratulations Ana!

Harper Alston

nothing is too wonderful to be true

OOC First Name
Ana
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Straight 12.5'' Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
Ahhh thank you guys for all the lovely comments :wub: Still can't believe Harper was spotlighted

I don't wanna be that person but...the threads you chose as you favourite have 1 thing in common...Blake Lodge...you don't love drama, you love her😌😌😌=))=))=))I rest my case

Hahahaha I won't lie, I do love Blake's and Harper's friendship. It's been one of the most unexpected storylines in Harper's development, and I've enjoyed watching it unfold.

2 questions though..... how would Harper feel if Lila or Ryland got a Hogwarts letter? And why isn't she interested in Quidditch??

Thanks for the questions!

Harper would be thrilled if Lila or Ryland got a Hogwarts letter and that's why it will never happen. There's so much to the wizarding world that she wants to show her family and so much that can't be conveyed simply through letters or conversations. She'd find it nice to have someone who just gets it, who she doesn't have to explain every little detail to. It would also drastically change her relationships with her siblings since she's currently much closer to her older brothers.

As for Quidditch, well, she's definitely a soccer snob who thinks every other sport pales in comparison. She also finds a lot of the rules in Quidditch to be nonsensical (the whole snitch thing, time-outs being allowed, brooms not being standardized). In her view, the sport boils down to two players flying in circles until one gets lucky. And finally the thought of getting smacked in the face by an iron ball while she's fifty feet in the air is kind of terrifying β€” not that she'd ever admit it.

(For the record, I think Quidditch looks like a lot of fun, and I can't wait until I have a character who's actually interested haha)

Tilly Drage

Beater | Blocking Your View | Food-Motivated

OOC First Name
Amanda
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
12" Pear with Mermaid Scales
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats, Ana! Harper is lovely and I think your question responses are so well-developed and thought-out :wub: You deserve it!

Lillith Montgomery

cookie monster / constant sugar rush

OOC First Name
Soho
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Knotted 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Ivy Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana! I love Harper! :party:

Skylar Anderson

Bubbly ~ Fun-loving ~ Outdoorsy

OOC First Name
Samantha
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Knotted 11 1/2 Inch Unyielding Aspen Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Ahhh congrats Ana!!! It's so awesome that Harper got spotlighted, she's been so much fun to roleplay with!! Also WOW YOUR BIO IS AMAZING. :o (Hope you don't mind me taking some inspiration from it... ;)) Congrats again!!! :party::party::party:

Samuel Phillips

Part-Veela | Artist | Scrivenshafts Owner

OOC First Name
Anna
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 1/2" Flexible Cypress Wand with Veela Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Ana! Very well deserved! :hug:

Daisy Parker

Meow Meow Meow 🐢

OOC First Name
Donna
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual (Lizzie)
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Blackthorn Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Trophy Showcase:
YAY! Congrats Ana!!!!

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
What's the most surprising thing you've learned about Harper from role-playing with her?

Harper Alston

nothing is too wonderful to be true

OOC First Name
Ana
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Straight 12.5'' Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
Thanks for the question, Cyndi!

Harper's competitiveness has definitely surprised me. I originally intended for her to be much more laidback, but then she kept on befriending competitive people :tut: These days, I chalk it up to her not having her usual outlet (organized sports), so she's been channeling all that competitive energy towards informal athletic contests with her friends, which have been a lot of fun to RP. She's still fairly chill when it comes to other areas of her life (like academics, for example)

Users who are viewing this thread