Spam-A-Lot! Your one stop shop for spam!

Did anyone watch the Olympic opening ceremony in Paris last night?
I watched it, honestly I was a bit underwhelmed but I dont understand why it's being absolutely trashed online. They did well considering the bits they had to cut due to weather

I don't have good coordination at the best of times, but I stubbed my toe two hours ago, and it still hurts so much! Then, I hit my head on the corner of the kitchen cupboard that I had just opened, and now my head aches. How is everyone else doing?

Ouch!! Hope they both feel better soon, I hate it when that sort of thing happens. I used to stub my toe a lot when I was a kid so I empathise, it sucks (I think I just had under-developed coordination or something?)

I'm hanging in there, got an assignment due on Friday that I've mostly done but I feel like the writing is all over the place (maybe planning would have been wise). Then, after this week, I'm on mid-semester break! Two weeks off uni but I've still got my te reo Māori classes happening.

oh wow verity, what a day!

my sister is coming down to visit next weekend so that’ll be nice, i haven’t seen her physically in quite some time since she lives in a different state with her partners.

otherwise mostly i’m working!

My toe's still purple, but it's healing up thanks! Good luck with your assignment, Sarah. And Zazz, that sounds like something exciting to look forward to! :D

Yeeouch, purple?! Hope your toe's doing better, Verity! I'm cheering the healing process on.

Life has been life-ing. :o💨 Hope you're all having a good week though!

Haha, funny the site won't let me post the upside smiley emoji.

the upside down smiley is the best tho

Not sure if anyone from outside the country follows major events here, but the Māori king Kīngi Tūheitia Pōtatau Te Wherowhero VII passed away last week, and yesterday the new monarch was raised up, his youngest daughter Kuini Ngāwai Hono i te Pō Pōtatau Te Wherowhero VIII. She's the eighth monarch to hold the position, the second woman, and I believe the second youngest. Māori monarchy isn't automatically hereditary, but she was chosen by the Tekau-mā-rua (the official Kīngitanga council) based on her strong and prominent record of representing and uplifting Māori culture and values.

I wasn't really paying attention to the Kīngitanga when Kīngi Tūheitia took the throne (I was busy being thirteen) so it's been interesting actually being aware of the succession procedures this time around. (I hadn't even realised it was an elected position until recently.) Kīngi Tūheitia did a lot of incredible work in his time, especially in the last year as our right wing government has been making overt and violent attacks on Māori rights, and I have no doubt Kuini Ngāwai Hono i te Pō will follow in his footsteps and keep moving forward in a positive direction in such a difficult time.

It's really funny you mention this because this came up on my tiktok fyp last night so i was watching her succession on tiktok

Not sure if anyone from outside the country follows major events here, but the Māori king Kīngi Tūheitia Pōtatau Te Wherowhero VII passed away last week, and yesterday the new monarch was raised up, his youngest daughter Kuini Ngāwai Hono i te Pō Pōtatau Te Wherowhero VIII. She's the eighth monarch to hold the position, the second woman, and I believe the second youngest. Māori monarchy isn't automatically hereditary, but she was chosen by the Tekau-mā-rua (the official Kīngitanga council) based on her strong and prominent record of representing and uplifting Māori culture and values.

I wasn't really paying attention to the Kīngitanga when Kīngi Tūheitia took the throne (I was busy being thirteen) so it's been interesting actually being aware of the succession procedures this time around. (I hadn't even realised it was an elected position until recently.) Kīngi Tūheitia did a lot of incredible work in his time, especially in the last year as our right wing government has been making overt and violent attacks on Māori rights, and I have no doubt Kuini Ngāwai Hono i te Pō will follow in his footsteps and keep moving forward in a positive direction in such a difficult time.
Kia ora e hoa, he ātaahua āu kōrero. Ngā mihi ki a koe mō whakamaranga te mana o te Kīngitanga. My Māori is limited and I'm still learning so that probably wasn't fully grammatically correct but I just felt the urge to use the reo (it is Mahuru Māori after all). It is a difficult time, and a sad time, with our current government doing what they're doing (too many things to mention, insidiously done as well, I might add). I can only hope for the future and I'm sure the new Kuini will pave the way forward for Māori and Pākehā alike. (I feel a bit weird saying that as someone from Ngāpuhi where we don't really go for Kīngitanga but I'm in a position where I want the best for Māori and if the Kīngitanga is it then I'm not going to be a naysayer. I need to have hope in something lol).

edit: forgot kōrero was 'a' category not 'o'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back