Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
Character spotlights are one of my favorite parts of the site because we get to spotlight the wonderful work that you all do to create such creative, unique, characters in this place we share. It's such a special part of the site because we get to bring the attention to individual characters and now, with the addition of the shouty chat, the people behind them. It's always fun to see just how different our creativity works, and goes to show that it takes all kinds of people to make such a fun space. ^_^ Site staff are always looking at bios and developments, hoping to give you the chance to be spotlighted and we'll get to you eventually! :p

But for March, it's going to be all about Teigan's character, Zennon Baros! 🐍
Teigan has had a character spotlighted before so she knows a thing or two about developing characters. We hope you'll give her questionnaire as it's a good read, and we hope you'll pick her brain on Zennon, character development, and other topics throughout the month in her shouty chat. And I can absolutely attest to how excited she was. :D

For now, why not take a look at her Biography Relationship, and Development pages for Zennon.

And please don't forget to join us in offering a big ol' congratulations to Teigan! 🎉🎉

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted? I was at work, so, I had to be fairly demure in my response, but Cyndi can probably attest that I was very excited. I messaged Cyndi as soon as I read it, because I had to let my excitement out somewhere!

What was the inspiration for your character? Zennon was actually a character I was never supposed to have. He's an addition to a family that isn't mine, I messaged Kaitlyn and I complained that I didn't have someone to sort and I was upset about it. She basically told me I could make a cousin/sibling of one of hers and I took it from there. I generally take a lot of my inspiration from the things around me, and there is quite a bit more of myself in Zennon than I thought initially, so it's been an exciting journey for him, and for me.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in? There's a lot of Zennon's stuff that I've enjoyed, but one of his first or perhaps the first thread he ever did which really helped me develop him was his first meeting with Jacob here. It's where he first got his nickname, and started the development of who he was. He's a bit different now from then, but I like to go back and see what he was like as an eleven year old. Another favourite that I often reread is Monty's Collapse, he started to develop a high level of respect for the Professor which continued throughout his education and culminated in Monty being the first person he went to about his Parselmouth abilities here. And actually another good one (sorry) is his sort of fight, or whatever they call it with Arvel here. Because I wasn't expecting Zennon to laugh and then he felt so bad about it, but he finds it hard to face Arvel and basically resolved to the idea that he probably easier just to hate Arvel than worry about trying to fix anything, because that's easier for him. >.> Most of his role-plays with Analei or Jacob have been fun, as infrequent as they were. I love all his role-plays, but those stand out the most. Cold Swimming with Jenna Jusantrea was incredibly adorable and it was out of the blue. I wasn't expecting much development to come from it, but I got a whole different vibe from Zennon than I was thinking. I never expected him to be so supportive of someone he barely knew, but I liked seeing him encourage a younger student to follow her dreams.

What is your favourite aspect of your character? Zennon doesn't believe in grudges or not giving people chances. He's incredibly forgiving and doesn't believe in revenge. Of course there are moments where he's angry enough to think about someone tripping down the stairs, but he'd be right there with a towel and a potion to fix them up afterwards. He puts others before himself frequently and will happily give people second and third chances until he simply can't do it anymore. He values that same compassion in his friends and absolutely adores when his friends talk about their passion, often asking them about it even if its something he's not particularly fond of.

Your least favourite aspect? Zennon doesn't function well when he's presented with conflict and he tends to favour his own. So, he has a lot of trouble when people don't like him for whatever reason and he sometimes has a tendency to feel victimised by situations that are out of his control. He's not so much of a control freak, but he likes to know where a situation is heading and doesn't deal well with curveballs. When things don't go his way for whatever reason, he can feel like he's failed and he finds it hard to get himself back on track sometimes. Even though he's a lot more open about himself, he still has a strong instinct for secrecy and doesn't like to shout things from the roof top, but in saying that, he doesn't like being kept out of things either. He prefers to have the same knowledge as his friends and doesn't often appreciate finding out from a third party. He's his own worst enemy and judges his own actions very harshly, though often will do nothing to improve his actions.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not? I would love to meet Zennon, we have a few of the same interests and I think we would get along for the most part, though his tendency to keep secrets would be annoying as I'm generally more of an open book with people who know me. I think we'd have a great time at the movies or something, and if he could teach me some parseltongue, that would be awesome. I love snakes.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is? Character building and background are both things I've always been really good at. Having a feel for a character and still allowing room for natural growth is a hard thing to balance, but years of practice and being a writer have allowed me to come to some sort of low grade balancing act for it. Haha, I'm really good at making the characters seem like they've been around for longer than say... a year. Depending on when they were created. I think I've always had a knack for delving into the psychology of a character and what influences them and their motivations for things. Every reaction has a counter reaction and I constantly think about what the characters are doing between classes and role-plays and when they're not around at all. Providing context for their lives outside of what I can role-play is really important to me as I like to have thoughts, feelings and emotions integrated into their classes and general RPs.

Your weakness? Sometimes it's too much. Often I get so tightly wound up into this cave of nonsense that I forget how much of it people who are not in my head are aware of. I don't often write everything down because I don't always have the time or patience and so a lot of if just stays in my head until theres a specific reaction that gets triggered and it all comes pouring out, like Zennon laughing at Arvel, for example. It wasn't a reaction I've ever needed to talk about, even though I've mentioned previously that Zennon was socially awkward, there hadn't been a situation specific enough to talk about his tendency to nervously laugh. My development process tends to look a bit like an iceberg with maybe 10% available to people and 90% inside my brain where it's probably going to stay forever and ever xD

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters? Everyday life is a great focus point. There's nothing bad about looking at your friends, family, people you work with etc, for traits, behaviours and personality's. It's hard to know every little detail about a person, so don't feel bad if you forget your characters birthday or what they look/sound like, it doesn't have to be perfect. Sometimes you get stuck on wanting your characters to be nothing alike, but the truth is there are just some people in the world who could be the same person and that's okay. Write what makes you comfortable, or don't, there's no judgement and no criteria. Be you, or be your character, it makes no difference ^_^

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months? So many plots are coming to fruition, it's so exciting to see all the amazing plots that are upcoming. I can't wait to see what direction the site takes with everything. It's going to be a lot of fun, I'm sure!

What is your favourite part of HNZ? I love that we can all come together for a common purpose, to pretend to be wizards. I mean I'm sure we all dreamed about getting our Hogwarts letter in the owl mail and since that failed (shhhh) this was really the next best thing. I've met so many people through HNZ and gone to places I never would have gone. I've learned so many things, including languages from other HNZers and all about different cultures and all from the comfort of my bedroom (most of the time) The best thing, probably, though is that all of this just makes me want to do more, see more, be more, and to travel the world and meet everyone I can. I've always had a love of travel, but I never knew where to start. So, if nothing else, HNZ gave me a place that I can call home, no matter where on the globe I am.

~Cyndi
(on behalf of the site staff)

Syrus Stilinski

Qq's Assistant 🦁 Kaikōura Kea's Seeker 🇳🇿

OOC First Name
Madz
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Ramasexual
Wand
12 ½' Dogwood Assorted with Phoenix Tail Feather
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats, Teigs! You already know I looooove your writing! :wub:

I also think it's not always easy joining/writing someone else's offspring. I feel like it's double the work when developing them.

Zennon Baros

questioning; unsure; confused

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Sturdy Cypress Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Trophy Showcase:
Thank you!

Yes I can see why would might say that, I think it’s important to keep asking questions when developing a character you didn’t create from the get go. Even though Kaitlyn gave me free reign to do as I liked, I always double checked certain aspects with her, as to whether it would make sense to the character given what his upbringing would have been like. I still on occasion will message Kaitlyn about his parents and siblings to confirm with her the path he’s on, but for the most part he’s been my character and I know enough about his family to see his trajectory. Don’t be afraid to question anything.

Ai Nightray

mum • all of it was worth getting here • loyal

OOC First Name
Marga
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Demisexual
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Unyielding Redwood Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congratulations Ateeeeeee!! Zennon is great <3

Edward Elric

"No Risk, No Reward"

OOC First Name
Brian V
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
14 1/2 inch Flexible Ebony Wand with a Phoenix Core
Trophy Showcase:
Yay Teigs, I can honestly say I'm going to enjoy the Rose RP with him lol

Zennon Baros

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Trophy Showcase:
Looking forward to it, Brian!

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Teigs!

Stanislaw Kurek

Cautious Rule Breaker | Werewolf | Stubborn

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Sturdy Reed Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats! :party:

Adorah Zumwalt

Future Astronomer | Type A | Stubborn

OOC First Name
Kiersten
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Vine Wand 12 3/4" Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats, Teigs! This is awesome!

Geovanna Volt

impulsive; got your back; overachiever; training⚡️

OOC First Name
Pheeb
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Austin
Wand
Knotted 10 Inch Sturdy Aspen Wand with Boomslang Venom Core
Trophy Showcase:
Yay congratulations!! For some reason in my head I already he had been once =)) Love Zennon :wub:

Professor Monty Pendleton

☕ Inventor | Potions 1-4 ☕

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
I LOVE Zennon (even if Arvel can't stand him :teehee: )!! You deserve this so much, he's an incredibly well developed character. Congratulations!! ^_^

Zennon Baros

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Trophy Showcase:
Arvel helped ;)

Sapphire Michaels

Clever- Mischievous- Snarky

OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Pear Wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 inches
Trophy Showcase:
Zeennnyyyyyybooooo

Samuel Phillips

Part-Veela | Artist | Scrivenshafts Owner

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 1/2" Flexible Cypress Wand with Veela Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:

Zennon Baros

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Trophy Showcase:
I need to update some parts of his bio actually 🙈

Sapphire Michaels

Clever- Mischievous- Snarky

OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Pear Wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 inches
Trophy Showcase:
Has zennon ever surprised you with a development??

Zennon Baros

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Trophy Showcase:
Well, not especially. I try not to plan too far ahead on that score, but I think the first big bit of development was his parselmouth ability, which was unexpected at first, but after that I think it was the larger group of friends than I was ever really expecting him to have. He's much more open than I thought he was going to be even when he was hiding his abilities, so it's been a lot of fun. But for the most part now, really just the small things, everything else is pretty much what I've expected for him.​

Elliot Briar

American | Softie | Nervous™

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
I can't remember if I said congrats or not, so congrats! When it comes to Zennon's house, did you always think he would be a Slytherin? And do you think his house has had more of a positive or negative impact on how he view/ed his abilities?

Zennon Baros

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Trophy Showcase:
Thank you!

I had a fair idea from his conception that he was going to be a Slytherin, I didn't really see a lot of other reasons for other houses, obviously there are always exceptions and sometimes they throw in a curveball as you're sorting, so I wasn't 100 percent sure, but I was fairly certain. Zennon tends to value traits in others that he lacks, which is probably why two of his best friends are Slytherin and why most of his friends are similar, because he values things like resourcefulness and cunning as well as leadership and ambition. He is fairly ambitious and resourceful himself, but he certainly lacks quite a bit in the leadership category and he's not the most cunning of students. I think it's hard to say specifically that he was negatively impacted, except maybe for his abilities. So, a large portion of why he was so scared to let people in was to do with the fact that maybe like every parselmouth in history that would have been in a history book, Voldemort/Slytherin etc, were considered to be quite bad people and given that Zennon was a pureblood, a Slytherin and a parselmouth and basically figured he would be considered a bad trifecta, since theres still a lot of stereotyping of the houses and I think thats made him sort of more willing to aide other Slytherins over the other houses simply because he is bias to Slytherins because he perceives (perhaps wrongly) that others a bias against Slytherins. So he's more likely to drop and help a Slytherin than he is a Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw for example. Of course there are exceptions and he stereotypes people himself too, mostly through what he knows of the people around him. His sister is creative, therefore Ravenclaws are creative. Jacob, Rowan, Elio etc - are loud and out there, therefore Gryffindors are brash and loud, etc. Had he been in another house, like Hufflepuff for example (which was really very unlikely to happen) I think he might have been more open about it, but honestly it's hard to tell, because it wasn't something I specifically thought about.​
Does that answer your question? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)