Pure Blood
Relationship Status
It's Complicated
Sexual Orientation
asexual
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Sturdy Cypress Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Howdy!​
So as most of you know - I'm moving to England. I had hoped that the hardest part would be my visa application and what have you, but clearly I've severely underestimated the amount of work that goes into uprooting your entire life because it's been kicked into high gear now! I've been pretty absent the last couple of days, but I've been slowly crawling my way through replies. I'm still very much around, but posting has become slower. I'm definitely trying to keep plots active, but pls feel free to ping me if I've not replied in over a week, I don't want plots to go stale and there's a couple of time sensitive ones I've been jumping on first that have had me neglecting some of the others. (I don't want to neglect them though! I have them all written down so I don't forget!)​
Just letting you all know I'm still very much alive and around - just super stressed ahaha.​
If anyone has any tips or tricks for making this more of a smooth transition - pls do let me know. No-one I know irl has ever made such a big move before so we're all kinda just guessing at the point and trying to do everything at once. Admittedly the move isn't until March - but apparently that's almost not enough time to get everything all together D:
Happy posting and stuff!​
Teigs.​

I don't have any move across the world tips, but keeping your paperwork all organized has been helpful in my travels (especially with whatever COVID measures are in place). So exciting for you!

Congrats on the visa application at least, Teigs!

I fortunately(?) don't actually recall a lot of the prep before I moved to the States, our timeline got pushed from 6 months to 2 weeks :x so it was very rushed. I can rec a few things though!

1. Pack however many suitcases that you'll be bringing with you on the plane first. You live out of these now. It'll a) keep those things in a nice separate space hopefully from your other packing/cleaning and keep them out of the way and b) help you gauge what you will and won't miss if you need to leave something behind/stuff takes awhile or gets lost in transit.

2. If you're not sure what should come with you, weigh the cost (emotional or financial) of replacing it versus the space it takes up, that should hopefully help you choose

3. If you haven't already, make sure you have a good way to communicate once you're in the UK. Either phone travel plan or internet messenger etc and make sure you have access to any contacts at home and in the UK that you'll need.

4. When you can, take some time to appreciate and visit your fam/friends and/or places around your hometown. Take lots of pictures. Travel is expensive and it may be awhile before you get to see everything again and you'll appreciate having it when the homesickness hits

5. Be ready for culture shock! Hopefully it'll be easier since I figure UK culture is closer to Aussie culture, but I figured I'd be fine moving to another Western country when I came to the States. I was wrong! Stuff is different and weird and it can take some time to get used it (grocery stores still stress me out there are So Many Brands and I don't know what they are).

Hope some of that helps, I know it's crazy stressful, but at the very least if you've got a bag packed, accommodation and travel sorted, and your visa/papers in order, you should land on your feet alright even if you need to do a few things on the fly elsewhere ❤

Wow! thanks Kris this is all super helpful!

No tips to offer other than remember to make time for self care and breathe as you work on all of this. But how exciting! I hope everything goes as smoothly for you as a big move like this can go.

Hey Teigs.
I can't remember much about my move to be honest. i was not really involved with it. but i can remember we brought suitcases with us (I think we even shared one between two) with clothes and essentials and high value items in them and the rest of our stuff and furniture was shipped. I am not implying that you have as much stuff as a family of four. but if you are taking a fair amount with you it may be worth looking into shipping a few boxes via surface mail. it does take a few months. it is also worth doing a good (and harsh) clear out and get rid of things that you don't need as after moving house (no matter how small the move) you find a heap of things you dont want when unpacking.
if you want i can ask my parents for any tips.
Mia

Wow what an change Teigs. That will be an adventure for sure! I don't have experiance with moving around the world, but thankfully heres an site with people around the world who can help you out. Good luck with everything!

Hey Teigs!

Good luck with the move.
Oh geeze, I don't know if I can ever move that far away. You're braver than me, that's for sure.
I hope it all goes well! :hug:

Madz

No tips, but tons of support when you get here, I got you.

Plus you've already seen (and complained about) the shops here so hopefully thats one less thing to adjust to. Just get ready for the difference between London and the North (its colder up here).

I would give you tips as I have moved to an entirely different continent before, (around a 12-hour flight so probably not nearly as stressful) except I was very little and ignorant when I did so I'm not sure what exactly it entails (besides the actual moving part) xD

Good luck with everything, and can't wait until you get to the UK :wub:

No tips, but tons of support when you get here, I got you.

Plus you've already seen (and complained about) the shops here so hopefully thats one less thing to adjust to. Just get ready for the difference between London and the North (its colder up here).
Yes well, i’ve already had you check for vegan alternatives in your nearby shops so, yanno
I would give you tips as I have moved to an entirely different continent before, (around a 12-hour flight so probably not nearly as stressful) except I was very little and ignorant when I did so I'm not sure what exactly it entails (besides the actual moving part) xD

Good luck with everything, and can't wait until you get to the UK :wub:
Well you’re just miss super helpful aren’t you :glare:

joking ofc you know I love you!

At least I’ll finally get to meet you! (Well, hopefully regulations will have eased up a lot by then :glare: )

So... I guess the only update I have for this is that there is no update. Not really much point in posting, but just to let you know this is still active. I'm hoping for better in the new year. Cheers guys!

SO!

My area is back in lockdown. My move has been pushed back to about April/May - at the moment we're not really sure. I've been stuck in my house for a while now and we're not really allowed to leave, but we'll see what happens. Lmao.

Ahh that sucks, Teigs. More time to pack and plan hopefully? 😬

I hope so, but it's hard to plan around a pandemic as i am discovering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back