Open Planting A Wiggentree - SDA & WPC

Connor was miserable. Coming here today had been a huge mistake. He knew Eric was going to be here, and he knew Eric wouldn't approve. Why had he thought it would be okay? Over his muffled sobs, Connor heard the sound of movement in the bushes, freezing quickly. Oh no. He tensed as the older boy came into view, looking up at him in horror. The SDA looked like it was full of bullies, and Connor had made the mistake of going off by himself, without Eric to protect him. And now here he was, hidden and cornered by a bully, where Eric would never find them to defend Connor. "Nothing!" Connor said quickly, raising his trembling fists. "I'm... I w-was just... I was getting r-ready to... to fi-fight you all!" He stammered, voice still weepy from crying. It was the best Connor could do though, and he hoped he seemed tough enough to scare this bully away.

@Elio Zephyr

Ajaccio couldn’t believe he’d been invited by both clubs to the event, so of course Ajax was doubly sure that he would go. He had a flower in his hair, kept upright by the sheer mess of his curls, he hadn’t had his hair cut once all year and the curls had grown larger and wilder. He would’ve put his hat on to tame them a little bit the hat and the flower couldn’t both be worn and he didn’t want to not have the flower so it just, in his mind made sense to go with the flower. He spotted Star immediately when he reached the area, and though he was talking to someone else Ajax wandered over, ”Star!” he said waving excited at the boy as he approached, ”Hey,” he said to the girl that was talking to him, ”What have I missed then?”

Between the boys pink eyes, trembling hands and wobbly voice, Elio wasn't convinced much by his reasoning that he was hiding behind a bush in order to get ready to fight everyone. "I don't think this event will be like that." he said, thinking that if there were going to be any fights at all, they were supposed to be in the dungeons. "I don't really know what we're doing here but I can tell you you're not going to find out what it's about hiding down here," he raised his eyebrows, glancing between the first year and the crowd a little way back. Another boy had come and gone, leaving them by themselves once again, and the fourth year wondered how he could get the boy to join in. The Gryffindors camera was a constant around his neck, and with an idea springing to mind, the took the strap off from around his neck. "You know, these things have more than one use. Sure, you can take pictures of the most beautiful costumes or capture memories for the yearbook, but you also get to see things through a lens. It's like..a portal between you and them," he did his best to explain how it had helped him at times, "People look at you, and they only see the camera, you know? Then they'll pose, and the focus is back on them." he didn't really know if he was making much sense, but there had been a few occasions when it had been useful. "Wanna try?" he said, offering it to the first year, just hoping he wouldn't break it.

Ilija looked up as another Ravenclaw joined the girl, and then another boy too, and suddenly there were almost too many people around him for comfort. "Ilija," he smiled at Nell, trying to keep cool as she did the introductions. He didn't feel bad that she had remembered who he was, it wasn't like he knew a lot of people. All of the girls friends though seemed to know her quite well and he had more than half a mind just to leave the group, when a familiar blonde popped up beside him and a large smile appeared on his face. It couldn't have been at a better time, having someone near that seemed to actually "get" him. They were still in some sort of strange limbo area between a friendship and relationship, but he was happy enough as they were for now. He couldn't resist thinking about how Alice was here as was Blake, and how both of them were probably oblivious to the fact Ilija was too. Between thinking that he was grateful for Padme's company, and not wanting to focus too much on the other strange pairing across the group, his hand quietly slipped lightly into hers, his eyes too nervous to look down at her reaction but keeping his attention on the others he'd joined instead. "It's nice to meet you." he nodded at Selene and Jasper, "This is Padme," he added, doing his best to remain stable given everything.

Phoebe grinned when a few more people joined in on Leda, though she hadn't meant it that way. She really didn't like the Slytherin, and just laughed when she went in against Alexis by pretending her work with the paper was so important. Everyone knew it was only read for the gossip. But Phoebe decided to leave her alone when she headed off, instead turning to Charlie and wiggling her eyebrows. "I dare you to smile." She told her. "And I dare you to try and enjoy yourself." She added, poking her shoulder.

@Charlie Madison

Poppy had arrived to the Wild Patch meeting a little late and was alarmed to see so many people already here. It wasn’t until a moment later she remembered how it was a joint meeting with the Student Defense Association. She had been looking forward to meeting new people who she didn't regularly spend time with when she first heard about it. But as she walked around trying to find a friend, she overheard a few of the SDA students talking about how dumb it was to hold a meeting to plant a tree and she frowned.

Lysander didn't often find himself in completely awkward positions he couldn't handle, but being ignored utterly by both of Wendall's friends was a major yikes moment. He blinked a few times before turning to the Hufflepuff boy. "Uh, cool friends, Wendall, but I'm going to go and help Alistair with digging." He told him, turning away to join the smaller group hanging around the tree plot. He recognised some of the boys already there from his team during the Brotherhood Trivia Night, and gave them a small wave before he sank to his knees and scooped up handfuls of dirt. He'd never planted a tree before, but it seemed small enough to be a lot like most other plants.​
@Wendall Layton

Eric flushed at Alistair's words. Why did he have to say something like that? Ugh! He ignored the Hufflepuff who asked him a question, it was the same nosy boy from the arts room a while ago. Angry, Eric walked off from the group a bit and kicked a random rock. He was tempted to just leave the meeting, but he didn't want to be kicked out of the club. He wanted to be around for any future meetings that were better.

Alice laughed softly at William's words, looking at the SDA club. She smiled at Blake, but stayed near William to chat to him a bit more. Blake seemed busy with his own friends, but Alice hoped to talk to him later. "I guess not. I think they're pretty used to fighting at their meetings, they don't know what to do when they're here." She said with a small giggle. "I hope things will be okay, I think it's a neat idea to meet with two clubs at once." She said softly. "It's nice to talk to different people, you know?"

@William Kaimarama

Last edited:
Jasper laughed. "I know Selene, we go way back." He said, grinning. "She got mad at me for trying to put stink pellets in the punch at the yule ball that one time." He added as explanation. "But I don't know you. Nice to meet you Ilija." He added to the older guy who had joined them. He was joined by a younger girl, and Jasper waved, though he wondered why she didn't just introduce herself, instead letting the guy do it for her. "Jasper." He said. "Anyone know why we're planting a tree together?"

@Nell Wright @Selene Le Fey @Ilija Olaf @Padme Hume

Tyler smiled a little in amusement as Blake explained. He nodded, then followed him when he picked up a shovel. "I think we should wait until we get instructions." He said, glancing at the older Slytherin prefect who ran the club. He hadn't told them to do anything yet, and Tyler assumed he had a plan for all this.

@Blake Irons @Alistair Lancaster

Daintree’s adventures to become a more popular person were the sole reason that he had decided to come along to the event of the wild patch and SDA, he was a part of the latter and not the former, but perhaps it was time to be a part of everything. It wasn’t like he was that concerned about his grades, so long as he pass who were his parents to give him anything for it. He knew they would just be pleased that he was getting involved. The boy arrived at the area, and spotted a few people he knew vaguely, that boy he’d fought with at the beginning of first year, a few from the quidditch team, a few from his year. He didn’t know that many really, but he was there and perhaps it was time to get to know a few others. He knew Jenna, but she was talking with others, people he didn’t know much at all, so didn’t exactly want to go over to them. He’d find someone to speak to, he was sure.

As irritated as she was by this whole mess, Charlie couldn't help cracking a small smile at Phoebe's teasing. The closer they got to Phoebe's inevitable graduation, the more Charlie felt her walls falling down. It was harder and harder to keep her face stony in public when they were together, almost instinctively wanting to get every moment of happiness they could together. And it wasn't so bad, Charlie supposed, to laugh and smile more, but she was very afraid of the other end of that spectrum. As graduation drew closer, would she become a weepy mess? Charlie didn't think she could stomach that. It was too hard to think about though, so she tried not to, poking Phoebe's shoulder in return. "Fine, but you owe me." She raised an eyebrow. "Skateboarding lesson. I'll get you to ollie eventually."

@Phoebe Holland

William really didn't know what to do with himself when Alice kept talking to him. What was happening? Were they friends now after he had teased Phineas in front of her? Was she just talking to him because she didn't have any other friends around? That wasn't possible, everyone loved Alice. William didn't know what to do with himself. He shrugged and half-nodded, hoping he was giving the right response. "I guess so." He said, glancing around. "I think they've quieted down, at least."

@Alice Holland

"Ilija! Sorry!" Nell smiled apologetically at the older boy, filing his name away in her memory. She didn't like forgetting people's names, and it would be doubly rude to do so again now that he had told her. Her smile brightened when a younger girl joined him, and Nell looked down when Ilija introduced the girl. "Padme, that's a cute name! Is this your little sister?" She asked brightly, part of her wishing Stella was here too. She saw plenty of her big sister around the castle, but it would be nice to do club activities together. She was distracted quickly by Jasper's antics, pulling a face as he spoke. "Jasper! That's gross!" Nell protested, giving him a frustrated look. "And Alistair just explained what we're doing, it's a tree with defensive magic. You should use your ears!"

@Ilija Olaf @Padme Hume @Jasper Night @Selene Le Fey

Connor was both dismayed and unsurprised when his show of strength failed to scare the older boy off. He wasn't entirely sure this was a bully anymore though, the boy's tone seemed... more pleasant than how bullies usually sounded, and he didn't know what to think anymore. Connor kept his trembling fists up, ready just in case, but he listened silently, neither striking nor fleeing. Maybe this would be okay after all. He was shocked when the boy started talking about his camera again, fists raising higher in case this was a trick. It didn't seem to be though, and the boy kind of had a point. Maybe if there was a camera in front of his face, Eric wouldn't even notice he was here. He certainly wouldn't be able to tell Connor had been crying. He was surprised when the boy offered him the camera, fists finally releasing to take it in trembling hands. Connor was terrified he would drop something so obviously important, so he gripped it tightly enough that his knuckles turned white, raising the camera to hide his face completely. "Li-ike this?"

@Elio Zephyr

When it seemed as if everyone was done fighting, Alistair drew in a breath. A few people were helping to dig already, but there were still plenty of new and old arrivals who couldn't understand what the purpose of the meeting was for. "Can I have everyone's attention, please." He called, dusting the dirt from his hands as he rose to gather people, or at least just get heads turning his way. "This tree," He began, gesturing to the potted sapling nearby. "And the reason we've combined the Wild Patch and SDA for today, is because it concerns both clubs activities. Some of you may already know what this tree is and what its capable of, but for those of you that don't - It's a Wiggentree. A type of rowan that can protect you all from dark creatures, so long as you're touching its trunk. It's important to me that everyone knows how to recognise and identify one of these, because it could change your life, or even save it. The world isn't a safe place, and depending on the careers you pursue, or simply if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, knowing what a wiggentree is could mean a matter of life and death. Admittedly, they're not a common tree to come across, but on the off-chance that you do, you'll want to know exactly what it is, and to know that there's more to magical defense than protective charms and shields. Not every spell will work protect you. There's plenty of things out there that can't be harmed by a stunning spell, or repelled by protego." The explained, pausing on a few particular people in his club who seemed to believe that being the best duelist was all they needed to get through life.

"Dark creatures are more common than you would think. I was barely ten years old when I..." Stair paused to take another calming breath. His attack seemed like it happened a lifetime ago now, but he could still recall every little detail as if it were only yesterday. "When I was bitten by a werewolf. I had nothing to defend myself with. Too young to have a wand or know spells. Was there a wiggentree nearby that night that could have saved me? No, there wasn't, but even if there had been, I wouldn't have known what it was capable of doing then. That's why this is important to me, and important for everyone here to know, and to pass on. I don't want anyone else to go through the same thing I did, so please, take planting this tree as seriously as it is, and learn from each other." His voice grew more strained by the time he finished explaining. It was a bit personal, and definitely still uncomfortable to be open and honest about. He didn't expect each and every one of them to find the information on the tree useful, and definitely assumed there'd be a few younger kids who still scoffed at the idea, but he'd said what he needed to say, and if it helped any of them in future, then he would have made a difference. Stair cleared his throat. "Ahem. Now that that's over, if anyone would like to help, I believe this hole is just about finished." He said, looking at the pit that had been dug by a couple of the helpful ones, and then to Norton who probably had a better idea of planting these sorts of things. "I'll need help removing the sapling from its pot, and planting some sticks to keep the tree straight. After that, we add some mulch and anyone can chip in with aguamenti or sementis medicates to help it grow." He went over the instructions in his head a second time to check he hadn't missed any of the crucial steps he'd learned about, before turning away to begin removing the sapling from its pot.​

Selene smiled as nell said tht she was in all of the clubs. 'of course you are, how could I forget" she said shaking her head slightly at her friends enthusiasm. she listened as she explained what the tree was for and smiled. "that is interesting. it looks a little like the tree that is growing outside my mums house. but not quite the same" she said when they had been little they had been told not to eat the fruit. but their grandma had made jam out of it. by th time she had reached the end of that memory, she realised that there were more to the group Jasper was there and a boy in the year above. she nodded at both of the boys as nell introduced them. she did already know jasper but she had never spoken to Ilija. "yes and he almost got me into trouble for it" she said as jasper explained how they knew each other. "nice to meet you Ilija. she said. as the boy introduced himself. she vaguely recognised him as being older than them and possibly in Hufflepuff but she didnt know him. then another girl arrived and the group grew. it almost felt like she had friends. "nice to meet you padme. I won't forget your name. i have a cousin called padme" she said. thinking of her cousin and aunt Lilith and uncle praneil. she hadn't seen them in ages. they lived in France and padme went to beauxbattons, or maybe she had graduated already. she couldn't remember.
By this time the man running the event explained what was going on. she listened and her eyebrows raised in surprise when he said that he had been bitten by a werewolf. "does that mean he's a..." she whispered to nell. it made sense why this tree was important to him. it really was an interesting tree. she would have to see if the one at her mum's place was a Wiggentree or something else. she didn't help with removing the tree from the pot as she was sure some older students would be stronger and make an easier job of it. but she did help adding the mulch to the base of the tree to help it grow.

Wendall gave a silent Oh when Lysander decided to go and help Alistair instead. "Alright," he said, his eyes following after the boy, before the Slytherin made a speech about the tree. The Hufflepuff listened carefully, taking in everything he was saying, and he wondered how they even got the seeds for something like that. Also, if a tree was so defensive, would it be possible for him to eat the seeds and then he would stop making as many mistakes as he did? "Come on!" he said to the others. He was excited to see how the tree turned out though, and wandered over to the soil to see if there was anything else he could help with too, hoping no one had learnt the hard way about what to do.

Elio wasn't sure whether he'd said enough to convince the boy that he was alright, and that if he tried to use the camera maybe he would find it easier to be in part of the group. The Gryffindor was vaguely aware that something was going on near the tree grounds, and while he did want to go and see what was happening, he couldn't exactly leave if this boy was still sad and hiding round the corner. "Exactly," he nodded, watching as the younger student held up the camera. "When you want to take a shot, use this," he pointed at a button at the top. "You've got about forty shots left on that film." he said, hoping he would take advantage of at least some of them. It would have been good to get his perspective on the event. "Shall we join them?"

@Connor Holland

The girl decided to no longer join Wendall and therefore decided to go to Daintree. ''Hey, can i join with you?'' Jenna wanted to get to know him a little more and hoped he wouldn't mind.

@Daintree Vaskevold

Jasper scoffed at Nell's words. "It would have been funny." He insisted. "And I know that, but are we really all going to plant one three together? And then what?" He scoffed. "It's just going to stand here." He argued. But then the president started speaking, and Jasper listened quietly. It was a long speech, but Jasper found himself invested in it quickly. Alistair told them about the tree, and he immediately felt bad for scoffing at the idea only moments before. That only grew when the boy told them about being bitten by a werewolf. Jasper's eyes widened in shock. He'd heard rumors of a werewolf in the upper years, but had never expected it to be him. He looked at the other kids in the group he was standing with, at a loss for words for a moment. Then, a ton of questions popped up in his mind to ask Alistair. He opened his mouth to ask one, but then spotted Nell and realized how she would react if he shouted a rude question to the boy after he'd told them something so personal. Jasper bit it back, though he really did wonder how big his fangs and claws were as a werewolf. Maybe he could ask him later. Jasper decided to be helpful instead. He headed over to Alistair, giving him a slightly awkward smile before starting to plant sticks as instructed. "Uh, is this right?" He asked him quietly.

Phoebe groaned at Charlie's words. She was terrible at skateboarding, and she hated being terrible at anything. She sighed. "Fine, but then you have to do more than try to have fun. You have to actually have fun." She said with a grin, nudging her girlfriend. "And only one lesson." She added quickly. Charlie might disagree, but there were a lot more awesome things to do at Hogwarts than skateboarding. Alistair started to speak, and everyone quieted down to listen. The information about the wiggentree wasn't new to Phoebe, but she was glad he was explaining it so everyone would stop complaining so much. Phoebe was pretty glad they were doing something different for once, even if duelling was super awesome. Phoebe was surprised when Alistair talked about his own experience, confirming he was a werewolf. She supposed it wasn't exactly a secret anymore after the latest issue of Hogwarts Monthly, but at least it had only been a rumor up until now. Phoebe gave her friend an encouraging smile, then glared at people in the crowd as if daring them to be rude about it. Then Alistair told them what they had to do, and Phoebe headed over to him. "I'll help you remove it from the pot." She told him before she got to work. She kept an ear out for anyone saying something bad. A stinging hex wouldn't be difficult to do quickly, and she might even get away with it in a crowd this big if she was careful about it.

@Charlie Madison @Alistair Lancaster

Blake shrugged at Tyler, holding his shovel poised to dig. "I mean, people are just digging, right?" He said, glancing at Leda and some other random kid. He lowered his shovel to listen when Alistair started to talk though, hoping this would be a quick speech. Any previous thoughts he had were washed away though, when Alistair started talking about being bitten by a Werewolf. Did that mean he was.... Blake dropped his shovel at once and moved way back from Alistair, retreating from the group with Tyler. "That's so gross!" He said, voice slightly higher than a whisper, but not by much. "Who let him come to school with normal people, what if he's just waiting to bite all of us?!"

Willow had been helping with the digging. she would much rather have been doing something than standing around. besides she was not giving leda an excuse to claim that she did all the work. once the hole was large enough she listened to Alistair's speech. she somehow felt a glow of pride inside her at the second half as he spoke about his experience. she knew it would have been a tough decision to talk about. living with one werewolf who was open and one who wasn't she knew what it was like on both sides. and was glad that he had picked to be honest. She was also starting to understand why her mum was so invested in her werewolf services and activism even giving up a career as a pro quidditch player for it. she started to develop respect for the woman now compared to the bitterness she had towards the choice when she was younger.
she offered to help take the plant out of the pot alongside @Phoebe Holland and nodded at @Alistair Lancaster smiling encouragingly as she helped. "Thank you. and congratulations on a great speech" she said as they worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back