Character Spotlight: October

It's October so we're here with a new character to spotlight! As you all know, we are always on the lookout for characters to spotlight. This could be because they have an amazing bio, fantastic character development, or something else really special that we want you to see about the character to hopefully provide inspiration for your own bios, development, etc and to show our appreciation for that character and roleplayer!

This month, we are thrilled to highlight Connor Holland, roleplayed by Rowan! :party:

We encourage you to take a look at his biography, relationships, aesthetics, and family tree.

And don't forget to join the spotlight chat this month and ask Rowan your burning questions about this character! ^_^

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?

BLIND PANIC FOR A MOMENT bc Cyndi titled the PM "Quick question for you!" and my dumb paranoid brain went 'oh god I'm in trouble' followed by 'oh my god what did i do i don't think i did anything wrong????' followed by EXCITEMENT!! (Double excited because it's my birthday month so this feels like an early bday present :3!)

What was the inspiration for your character?

I honestly don't remember the inciting conversation where I picked him up, but he was always intended as a foil to Eric. His original character concept was this very gentle-hearted boy who's a people-pleaser to his own detriment, and his original conflict was going to be trying to make Eric happy by being tough, versus trying to be true to his own nature. He's changed quite dramatically over the years, but that was where he first started out.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?

Oh man, anything with Kas and Freya is always golden, their whole character dynamic is so much fun, and really helped me flesh out and evolve Connor. Tipping The Scales was way back in second year, but it makes me laugh every single time I remember it.

What is your favourite aspect of your character?

That's a tough one, because he's changed in a lot of ways I never intended and if I'm honest I don't really like him as a person right now :p He's fun to write but man I just wanna shake him sometimes. I suppose I really admire his flexibility and willingness to just go along with things. It's a character trait he's definitely developed due to Kas & Freya's antics and it's fun to explore this new rascally side he never had before. It's not really a personality trait but I also really enjoy how buff he's gotten through Quidditch - after years of Eric trying to toughen him up and failing, Connor went off on his own and got so strong he could pick his brother up with one arm :p The perfect himbo confluence of gentle heart, one single brain cell, and huge muscles. Just needs to work on his emotional intelligence now...

Your least favourite aspect?

Connor sees things very black-and-white, which has put him in some awful social situations in the past. (Never 4get the fourth year brawl in the library...) He's also become more and more self-absorbed with time, largely due to me accidentally making too many romance plots in too short a timeframe which required a rapid run of broken hearts. (Sorry Connor...) He's working on it now, but his people-pleaser nature has sort of taken on this selfish energy where he just needs people to like him, regardless of their own actual feelings, and he doesn't know how to leave people alone when they're rightfully angry with him. As I said it's interesting to write, but man I just wanna talk some sense into this kid...

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?

Hmm, I don't think so. I'd have a lot of advice for him, but he's quite an emotionally needy person and I don't vibe super well with that. Also, we don't really have any interests in common to discuss, we'd probably talk about gardening for like five minutes, but he's only interested in flowers and I'm mostly interested in veges/fruit so we'd run out of steam fast.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?

I think I'm good at avoiding homogeneity, as much as I do like to joke I've got four characters I keep recycling. I put a lot of work into differentiating my characters personalities, mannerisms, and speech patterns, and I do my best to make them feel like unique, distinct people.

Your weakness?

I really struggle with connecting backstory to personality. Usually my characters start from 'oh, I want to write someone who's like this', and connecting the present state I want to write to a backstory that makes it make sense sort of escapes me. I've been trying to start more from a family and build out recently, to ground my characters a bit more, but I know I need to work on developing characters in ways that make sense when they don't already have a preset family background to build from.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?

Start from the core of who your character is, but don't be afraid of change! Whether it's planned (like Blake's) or unplanned (like Connor's), a character going through an arc of growth and development keeps them feeling dynamic and exciting to write. Trying to stick too closely to one idea and never letting things evolve can wind up with characters feeling stagnant, and struggling to match changing situations in their lives. If an event or an environment causes your character to behave differently, follow that feeling and think about the ways they might evolve from there! (Also, don't be afraid to let your "good" characters do bad things and develop in negative ways - it can lead to some interesting new kinds of plots and ways of looking at the character!)

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?

I mean, obviously sorting is the most exciting time of the year, so definitely that :p I'm especially looking forward to wand sales, and exploring Ainsley's new perspective more as she's adjusting to her new job.

What is your favourite part of HNZ?

The people, but specifically the special kinds of friendship you find on here. Developing characters and plots can lead to all kinds of connections you never would have found otherwise, and help you get to know people you knew already in all new ways. I'm unbelievably grateful for all the friendships I've made and deepened through HNZ, and all the fun to be had when you get in the zone developing a plot with someone. :wub:

Congrats Rowan!

~Cyndi
(on behalf of the site staff)

Tilly Drage

Beater | Changing with the Tides

OOC First Name
Amanda
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
12" Pear with Mermaid Scales
Congratulations on the spotlight, Rowan! Much deserved.

One question I have- does Connor ever want to reconnect with his father or other estranged members of his family? If not, why?

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Yay Connor!

Congrats Rowan, well deserved!

Samantha Jacobs

7th year | heta pres. | friendly | clueless

OOC First Name
Maria
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi ) ( Ren
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence Of Sphinx Remains
Trophy Showcase:
Yayyy!! Congrats! Well deserved! :party:🎊

I also have a question! Since Connor has left a trail of broken hearts (sorry connor), does he ever see himself in a committed or long-lasting relationship?

Kiara Wood

Queen of Arts | Vibez Assistant | Chaos

OOC First Name
Sophia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Arthur
Omg, yay, Rowan!! It's really deserved, Connor is amazing!

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🪄ollivanders🪄

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Aaaah thank you guys so much!!! :wub:

One question I have- does Connor ever want to reconnect with his father or other estranged members of his family? If not, why?
I would say absolutely not his father. Connor grew up in the wreckage of his father leaving and saw the pain it caused his mother and brother. As far as he's concerned his father is a villain, and he's best out of all of their lives. The same goes for his uncle Vincent, though Connor's been making small steps to reconnect with the other Hollands (much to Eric's distaste.)

I also have a question! Since Connor has left a trail of broken hearts (sorry connor), does he ever see himself in a committed or long-lasting relationship?
Ohhh definitely! He really wants to find a stable, long-term love, he's just been going about it in the worst way imaginable, which I'll blame largely on him being 15/16 and Figuring Things Out :p One of Connor's biggest flaws is that he NEEDS to be loved by the people around him, so having someone he can rely on long-term to love and support him is definitely one of the things he's looking for in life.

Harper Alston

we will go nowhere we know

OOC First Name
Ana
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Straight 12.5'' Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Rowan!! :party: Connor's threads are always a fun read. (Also I love the little smiley faces in the school year section headers in his bio — they're very Connor)

I saw in his bio that one of his goals is to stand up for himself more. He seems to be pretty good at standing up for others (see: the whole fourth year + Eric drama). But has he gotten any better at standing up for himself?

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🪄ollivanders🪄

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Thank you so much!! (I had so much fun making those silly headers hehe ty for noticing!!)

In terms of standing up for himself, I'd say he's gotten better and worse at the same time. Being friends with Kas and Freya is a bit of a crash course in growing a spine - if you can't stand up for yourself, you won't survive long as their friend. He's not very good at directing that energy though, his breakup with Nikko was a pretty massive overreaction to a petty quidditch rivalry, because he instinctively tried to push back when he really shouldn't have. It's a skill he's still working on, but he's definitely come a long way from his first year, and a lot of it is thanks to Kas and Freya.

Users who are viewing this thread