Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
Hi guys!! It's the first of Spooky Month, and that means a new character spotlight!

At the beginning of each month we spotlight a character who we feel deserves a bit of love and attention, whether it be for their amazing biography, development, or for all the hard work and commitment put into them by their roleplayer.

For October, we decided that this character is Jesse's brilliant Lysander Summers!! If you have a moment, I'd highly recommend checking out his biography; it's stunning (seriously, I'm in awe), and it's clear that a huge amount of time and effort has gone into it.

As usual, we asked Jesse to answer a few questions for us:

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
When a staff member sends you a PM just titled "Uhh..." it does not fill you with confidence, Claire :glare: :p My initial reaction was certainly "oh god no what have I done." but I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened it! Followed by "oh no now I have to think about all these questions." xD

What was the inspiration for your character?
This is so tough, because Lysander wasn't made in the same way as my other characters, who just spring forth from the abyss as if they've always existed. It's been a completely different experience with him for me, because he's the son of my first character on the site, so he's had like, ten years of built-up background history and development from all these other characters, related to him or otherwise. Knowing where he comes from in so much detail makes it easy for him to just naturally come together without too much effort on my half xD

It's really been just a natural progression. I've pulled from his parents, how they've been shaped in their own journey from eleven-year-olds into adulthood, what they've learned growing up and what they don't want to repeat with their own children. I've pulled from the general world or family events in his life, which has been easier to do when I've been able to follow him from birth to now. With him, it really has just been about the pre-existing history. HNZ inspired him :p

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
Gosh, all of them. I had a lot of fun with Dessert Experts early on, which was a thread where he and a few others entered a competition to make their own ice-cream. Any competitive event he's been in has been a lot of fun for me, since we share a healthy love for competition (I don't know if you guys know that about me I keep it pretty under wraps). More recently I loved The Search for The Yorishiro because of how generally crazy it was. Its been ages since I'd seen such a massive group of people outside of your usual Club Fairs and the like, and it reminded me a lot of HNZs older days, which has some of my absolute favourite RPs in general despite how cringey some of the writing is to look back on now :lol:

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
He's my babies baby! When I first made Aeon, I never ever would have thought I'd be sorting his own kid at some point, and now here we are! That's one of the things I love the most about him. It's a crazy thing to experience, and its been an incredibly long wait since he was born to finally being old enough to be sorted, and continue on now that his father is older and less inclined to have whacky adventures. :p

One of the things I like most about him is that he's been involved in both muggle and magical life. I tend to play a lot of characters who are quite magically dominant in their background, and have little to no knowledge of how the muggle world works, or are quite limited in their interactions with it. It is harder to do in this setting, especially being so far in the future as we are, so predicting what muggle life and technology is going to be like is a challenge. Even with Lysander, the muggle world is still something of a novelty, or a treat. Its always really exciting to get to play video games or something because electronics don't function in his house, but he's still grown up with a lot more muggle-oriented interactions than my other characters, and will continue to do so. I'm trying to keep a more modern mindset with him rather than his life revolving around magic and medieval life. He wants to be a superhero like the Avengers, and has all these powers that could allow him to do so, yet he has to keep it a secret from his non-magical friends and the majority of the world, so it's going to be fun to explore more of that, and how he interacts with wanting to do good things while being bound by the law.

His youth and sense of adventure have been some of the most fun parts of playing him. Usually I don't enjoy playing really young characters, and the first couple of years of having a new student can be the toughest to be motivated for once the hype of sorting dies down, but I haven't had that issue with him at all! All of that childlike wonder and innocence has been different and fun to play, but we'll have to see how long he retains that before the big bad world gets to him, if it does :p

Your least favourite aspect?
He's got too much. It's hard to give him flaws and difficulties when there's as much happening in his background as there is, but I can't ignore all of it because he's tied to so many characters and their own stories. It's kind of like oh yeah, his father is an animagus and a professor, his grandmother is the headmistress of Hogwarts, his aunt is a famous quidditch player, his cousin is a werewolf, his other cousin is a seer, blah blah. I feel like whenever he runs into a major issue, he has a lot of avenues to find an easy resolution without encountering too much of a problem becuase of the privileges afforded to him, so its something I need to work through. That, and there's a lot he's grown to be accepting about, which is totally nice and all, don't get me wrong, but there's less room for controversial opinions and drama.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
Currently? No, probably not. I don't have the patience when it comes to kids so I think I'd find him annoying and too enthusiastic, so I'd need him to dial it down a few notches. Once he's actually grown up I think I'd be more down to hang out :p Though I can't say for sure until he actually reaches that stage.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
Bluhhhhhh I don't knooow. I guess I've always had a vivid imagination and tendency to daydream so I think that helps? There's a lot of development and character building that takes place in my head. I don't know if I really have a particular strength!
I think it does help (but also hinder, as I'll talk about next) to not be spreading myself so thin with too many characters at once, at least in my case. I don't have the creativity for so many different characters, and I honestly don't know how so many people do it!

Your weakness?
Trying not to overwhelm one character with too many concepts or ideas, which has been a particular struggle with Lysander because he already has so much in his life and history, while I'm also trying to add things that are more unique to him so that he can grow to become more of his own person, with his own sense of identity.
Recently I've cut back on characters so I don't have fifty that I'm trying to keep active at one time and overworking myself with, but in doing so it's harder not to collapse traits/skills/etc from those into my fewer active characters. It's all about trying to find a balance!

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
Everyone has a different process that works for them, but I've found classes to be one of my best ways to develop a character. Funnily enough, they're a real teaching experience. They touch on a few subjects I didn't, or wouldn't have really thought about, and there's a lot of variety with each. I always use this an example, but one of my previous students, Esme, came from a prejudiced background, and though I'd intended for her to be on the fence about it and potentially realise for herself that muggles and muggle-borns weren't so bad, all it took was one History of Magic lesson to completely tip that balance and suddenly she was in the mindset that they're all barbaric. Who knows if she would have turned out completely differently had she been sick for that lesson or something :p
Also, re-reading the books is a huge help, because there's so much of the HP world that I forget about, and reading over the story gives me tons of new ideas, or a different perspective!

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
Oh, tons. Lysander growing up and developing further for starters. Alistair just got outed as a werewolf so that'll be a lot of fun to delve into. Hopefully we might see some more Scitorari activity in the future, seeing as there's been a couple more people popping up in the group (and more people who should definitely apply :r )
There's also a couple of other plots I'm really looking forward to as well, but that's a secret, sorry :r
Other than that, Old School Week! That's going to be a lot of fun (Will have been? Depends on when this is out since it's VERY soon!) and any and all upcoming site competitions. I can't wait to win them all

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
The bowchuckle emote

I'm sure I've already said the people/community in a previous Spotlight, and I want to avoid repeating myself but its hard to pick something else. I think HNZ as a whole is a lot better than most other roleplay sites. There's a reason its survived as long as it has, and there's so many aspects to it that make it great. I mean, just look at the front page. We've got this amazing graphic of a roll of parchment that immediately stands out (if you're a regular person and don't use the Classic them like The Crazies out there). We've got Nick being amazing at coding and implementing tons of cool features, like the Quidditch and Wand systems, we've got staff that work hard and scare you with ambiguous PM titles. We've got talented graphics makers that keep the site pretty with gorgeous signatures for everyones characters, we've got a whole unique and built out world based on Harry Potter without needing to touch on all of the canon characters and setting. There's a lot of freedom and creativity to do our own thing and have our own stories. I've made a lot of friends here, and I've met a lot of people here. For ten years it's been a huge part of my life, and one I've always been happy with. So, yeah, its all my favourite. :jesse:

Congratulations Jesse!!! :party: ^_^
~Claire :claire:
(On behalf of the site staff)

Tristan Collins

🖋️Two-faced | Ambitious | Charming🖋️

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curly 11 Inch Swishy Ash Wand with Kelpie Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
And I thought I had lengthy answers to these questions...

Congratulations Jesse! Definitely well deserved ^_^

Apollo Bixby

Trying to Fit In | Energetic

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Sturdy Blackthorn Wand with Demiguise Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congratulations, Jesse!

Zennon Baros

Parselmouth / Secretive / Hates Confrontation

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual (Homoromantic)
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Sturdy Cypress Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Trophy Showcase:

Professor Monty Pendleton

☕ Inventor | Potions 1-4 | Deputy Headmaster ☕

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:

Ilija Olaf

📚 quiet academic; sporty; compassionate 📚

OOC First Name
Pheeb
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Straight 11 inch Larch wand with Hippogryff Feather
Trophy Showcase:
OMG :o yay! Congrats Jesse, Sandy is adorable ^_^

Lysander Summers

Young Adventurer • Alt Beater Hoarder • Trouble

OOC First Name
Jesse
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 11 ½ Inch Sturdy Maple Wand with Ashwinder Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
Thanks guys! :wub:

And I thought I had lengthy answers to these questions...
Originally mine felt too short so I had a glance at yours to see what kind of length I should have =))

And can we all take a moment to appreciate Claire's roast xD
JESSE
As you know, once a month we choose a sooperdooper cool character to spotlight so that everybody can love them as much as we do. That's why we went with someone else this time.
SLAYED ME

Daisy Parker

Meow Meow Meow 🐶

OOC First Name
Donna
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Blackthorn Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Jesse!! Such a fun character!

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼ollivanders asst🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congrats Jesse! This is definitely well deserved, the amount of thought you've put into Lysander really shows!

Sara Moon

Former 'Claw | Auror | Grieving

OOC First Name
Maia
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
12 and a half inches willow with unicorn hair
Trophy Showcase:
Congratulations Jesse!! Also, LOVE when a characters family gets all grown up and roleplaying, it's so wholesome. :wub:

Sara Moon

Former 'Claw | Auror | Grieving

OOC First Name
Maia
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
12 and a half inches willow with unicorn hair
Trophy Showcase:
I always wonder how different roleplayers operate in terms of planning out their characters, do you have any general idea where you'd like Lysander to end up as an adult, or do you tend to see what happens and which direction emerges?

Lysander Summers

Young Adventurer • Alt Beater Hoarder • Trouble

OOC First Name
Jesse
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 11 ½ Inch Sturdy Maple Wand with Ashwinder Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
I am a huge fan of organic growth and seeing where people tend to go on their own, but I definitely do already have a few ideas of where I see him in adulthood. I think he may always want that sense of adventure and to not be stuck in one place for too long, so Curse-Breaking stood out to me as something potentially for him in the future. Even now though, I'm seeing Quidditch emerging as something he might want to end up more invested in, but that could totally change in a few IC years time too! For the most part its very open-ended and I'm more excited to see what happens on its own ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)