Get to know you!

I'm from the Netherlands, in the province Zeeland (not to be confused with New Zealand)

I'm from the Netherlands, too (more specifically the province Overijssel)!

I’m from the US. I grew up in California, then went to college/grad school in Louisiana for six year, and now live in Texas 🤠

I've only been to Kentucky once (Franfort specifically) for a work trip, wasn't a lot going on but it was early November and it was gorgeous out there compared to flat and brown Texas lol

I swear I am going to make a road trip to the HNZers that live in the east. I am finding more and more of y'all that are within a stone's throw apparently.
And the upper Midwest :r

I live in Minnesota, USA. Yes, I like the cold winters. Although I am looking forward to spring as it's my favorite season. Can't wait to take my babies for walks outside.

It's been a while, so here's a new question. What's been your song of the summer(or winter)? What song has been on repeat for you?

I'm in a bit of a dry spell with music, but the song I've listening to a lot over the summer months is Nirvana - Aya Nakamura. I like the steeve west remix the most.

The first half of the summer, I pretty much only listened to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat because I was playing the Narrator, but currently, I have really been liking "Speed Drive" by Charli XCX (it just tickles my brain in the right way) and "What Was I Made For?" by Billie Eilish (can you tell the Barbie movie has had an impact?). But generally summer... maybe "Sunchoke" by Aly & AJ.

New question!

Have you or someone you know seen your doppelgänger?

I have! I went to high school with her. We even owned the same gray fleece, and my friends would mistake her for me all of the time! xD

So I went to primary school with a girl who had a similar build and hairstyle to me. We had different faces, so it wasn't really doppelganger, but everyone called me Maddie and her Camilla anyway :r

I haven't however when I was in Florence, Italy some old Italian man came up to me and was hugging me and kissing my cheeks like he knew me... I was shocked... He was more shocked that I wasn't who he thought I was. My Italian is pretty awful but he apologized for touching me and went on his way. I never found out who he thought I was although I remain a little curious.

I have one as a co-worker. I don't see it but people often mistake me for her and the other way around. xD

oop i missed one!

It's been a while, so here's a new question. What's been your song of the summer(or winter)? What song has been on repeat for you?
I jump around music a lot, but the things I've had on loop the most over the last few months have definitely been the Barbie movie soundtrack, and Kylie Minogue's entire discography. Upbeat music to get me through the winter :r
The advantage of having a pretty unique look is that the answer is 'not really', but a couple of times over the years teaching I've had kids come through my class who were dead ringers for what I looked like at their age, it's always a bit spooky haha

New question!

What's the story behind your given/chosen/nick name?

My parents couldn't agree on a name they liked, so they went with my mom's favorite singer at the time - Cyndi Lauper - because they liked the spelling.

I am a bit late to the disco. but for me this winner i have been listening to a lot of conan gray. especially
Crush culture and People watching I suppose that shows a lot about my general mood this year.
New question!

I have! I went to high school with her. We even owned the same gray fleece, and my friends would mistake her for me all of the time! xD
Not really. Though when i was at highschool some used to get me and one of the other girls mixed up. we both had the same Initials, had redish hair and were in the top three students. I defiantly distinctly remember one of the office staff telling me that they had my (aka her) umbrella in th office.
New question!

My parents couldn't agree on a name they liked, so they went with my mom's favorite singer at the time - Cyndi Lauper - because they liked the spelling.
so my real name came from a song. Amelia by Joni Mitchel my parents have always liked Joni Mitchel and while thet admit amelia wasn't their favorite but they liked the name and how she sings it. I must admit i love some of the imagery such as "Then your life becomes a travelogue of picture-post-card-charms" though it it sort of feels like the lyric "So this is how I hide the hurt as the road leads, cursed and charmed" or "Maybe I've never really loved, I guess that is the truth, I've spent my whole life in clouds at icy altitude" hare more accurate.

As for mia. that name got given to me on my first day in high school in Australia when I introduced myself and one of the girls (who later became my best friend) said "Oh like Mia in the Princess Diaries" and that kind of stuck though highschool and as that was when I signed up here and I didn't want to use my real name Mia has kind of stuck as my online name.

7b746e17ee09830ba00aa43b6ad4d0ee1987adda.gif

So, my mom was going to give me the name of my paternal great grandmother, Violet. Glad that she didn't cause mamaw picked favorites really bad, and I obviously was not the favorite. My dad managed to get my name to Kaitlyn while mom was still under painkillers (caesarian section). Mom agreed but she misspelled my name. I was supposed to have my name start with a C because of my brother's name, Christian. But alas, mom wrote it down with a K. So, that's the story of my name.

My online name, on discord and other sites I use Kitty. I used that because at my old job, they called me Catlyn, and eventually, Meow. They even wrote it on the bottom of my car (I have images if anyone wants to see because I didn't know it was there until I was working underneath my car and saw it). I just embraced it and went by Kitty from there on out. It is also gender neutral so it works. I don't use it here because I've went by Kaitlyn for so long, I didn't want to confuse anyone xD

My name didn't really come from anywhere. My parents made suggestions, and Claire was just the first name they both agreed was nice =)) I could have been called Bernadette if my dad had it his way. I honestly would have liked that, but the grass is always greener I suppose haha!!

I was named after my dad (yuck) but my nickname is actually kinda cute. When I was little I couldn't pronounce my name properly so I would say "Me Essie" to introduce myself and Essie just stuck. Genuinely most people in my life call me Essie. I still wanna change my first name to something where Essie works as a nickname but the only thing I can think of is Esther but I'm not 90 so it doesn't work lmao

I think my mum was trying to pick something unique but not unique, you know? I believe she picked it from the Fanny Burney novel (she was doing a BA in English Literature at the time) but also I think just went 'that's a nice name'. She did consider Charlotte, but worried I'd get called 'Charlotte the harlot'. I don't think anyone would have but hey. If I was a boy I would have been Lachlan, not sure what prompted that probably also just 'that's a nice name' as well.

Unfortunately 1. the Charles and Camilla scandal happened and despite the reputation rehabilitation of the now Queen Consort that's the primary association and 2. I ended up in the same year level as 2 other Camillas. (And a Jamila.) We all played on the same hockey team in year 8. So much for being unique! (I think all our mums laughed about it).

I've never really gone for nicknames, I absolutely hate being called Cam or Cammy and the aforementioned other Camillas already covered 'Milly' so I just don't really have one. :lol:

New question!

I was apparently named after Annelise Coburger, an olympic skiier from NZ, she apparently won a silver medal so she must have been pretty darn good :D

Nickname wise everyone just calls me Anna because its much easier to say and spell. If I had a cent for every time my name was spelled wrong I would be a millionaire probably, cause there are so many different ways to spell my full first name but the specific spelling of mine is so rare that most get it wrong =))

My mum is pagan and she knew she always wanted to give me a celtic name with ties to magic, so Rowan was a pretty natural choice. When I was born she planted my umbilical cord under a Rowan tree so it would protect me, and it's still growing strong in my dad's back yard. She also wanted my sister and I both to have gender neutral names in case we grew up to be trans, and when she turned out to be bang on the money I decided to keep my name, because I do really love it both for the sound and the meaning.

My middle name is a different story nobody knows how to spell it because its french and its gender neutral in french but FEMININE in english and it doesn't suit me and it's awful and i hate it but i haven't gotten around to changing it bc i ✨hate bureaucracy ✨

Sarah is a name on both of my parents' sides, so I'm named after two of my great-grandmothers. It's the similar thing with my brother's name - it's just a name that's on both sides. I'm not really a fan of Sarah for me but I haven't come up with anything I'd like to change it to so I'm just living with it for now. I always wanted to have a nickname when I was younger - I feel like I came up with a convoluted one when I was in Primary that Kris might remember or might not. It was an acronym of some sort. SSD maybe? It was weird, I don't know xD

My name has nothing fancy behind it. I think my dad mostly decided on it. The spelling was influenced by a weatherman (I think the surname may have been Kieroff or something), and I only know a few other people with the spelling. Other options were apparently Chelsea or Tatiana. My siblings have family-influenced names so I'm the oddball.

The only nickname I really have is KC, but only some family and my best friend call me that so I just tend to go by Kiersten (and answer to anything relatively close to it because most people mispronounce it for some reason).

My name has nothing fancy behind it. I think my dad mostly decided on it. The spelling was influenced by a weatherman (I think the surname may have been Kieroff or something), and I only know a few other people with the spelling. Other options were apparently Chelsea or Tatiana. My siblings have family-influenced names so I'm the oddball.
Man I may have already told you this idr but Kiersten is my mum's childhood best friend's name, and I had never encountered it anywhere else in the entire world before meeting you haha it was v exciting

Man I may have already told you this idr but Kiersten is my mum's childhood best friend's name, and I had never encountered it anywhere else in the entire world before meeting you haha it was v exciting
I feel like maybe you had mentioned it before! It definitely seems to be a unique way of spelling it because most people have a variation like Kristen or Kirsten. Some people who pronounce it like mine still spell it the other ways, too.

My dad knows a lot of Latin, and Verity derives from the Latin word veritas, meaning truth. Nickname wise, I get called Vee by most people, and also Vez and Vezza. Some of my family call me Betty which I don't mind but the origin is mean. I had a speech impediment and a stutter growing up and I couldn't say Verity. When I was asked what my name was, the closest I could come out with was Bare-tee (Betty), until I was about five years old. But I did overcome that and I can say my name properly now, thank goodness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back