Get to know you!

My name, equally to some, has nothing fancy about it. My parents just both liked Emily, and it has an easy french version Emilie.

However, my mother, did originally wanted to call me Sophie after a french series call Sophie's Misfortunes. But my dad disliked the name so they settled on Emily.

I feel like I came up with a convoluted one when I was in Primary that Kris might remember or might not. It was an acronym of some sort. SSD maybe? It was weird, I don't know xD
Oh wow SSD I completely forgot about that... I cannot remember exactly what it stood for but I have a horrible feeling the "D" had something to do with Daxter. You know.. like Jak and Daxter jksdfh (you also went by Sorcha for awhile but that was closer to high school during the Irish times).

EDIT: STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE DAXTER

I do have an story behind my name but Kris is short for my full name and it's juuuust different enough a name that I don't feel comfy sharin it, sorry gang I will be mysterious to keep my cool points. I'm also notoriously un-nicknamable, nicknames just do not stick to me so Kris it is!

Oh wow SSD I completely forgot about that... I cannot remember exactly what it stood for but I have a horrible feeling the "D" had something to do with Daxter. You know.. like Jak and Daxter jksdfh (you also went by Sorcha for awhile but that was closer to high school during the Irish times).

EDIT: STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE DAXTER

I do have an story behind my name but Kris is short for my full name and it's juuuust different enough a name that I don't feel comfy sharin it, sorry gang I will be mysterious to keep my cool points. I'm also notoriously un-nicknamable, nicknames just do not stick to me so Kris it is!
Omg it was too! What a terrible nickname haha. I've never even had a strawberry shortcake, I just really liked the sound of it. Child logic. I've been replaying Jak and Daxter lately actually, funny coincidence. Ah, the Irish times, when I was obsessed with early 20th century Irish history. I really pushed for that name but no one could say it confidently because pronouncing Irish is slightly counter-intuitive to English so it didn't work out. Fun memories though.

I think I know the story behind your name but I could be wrong? I'm not going to hint at it here because, y'know, that'd be rude.

Loved reading all of the stories! 💜

New question: what's a 'strange' food combo that you enjoy?

My step-dad introduced us all to this but it's actually good - tuna salad and...then crumble some doritos (the red bag) into it before you slap it all on some bread. Though now that I think about it the spicy ones would probably also be really good too. :teehee:

That sounds pretty decent! If I actually liked tuna I'd try it. :lol:

I mostly weird people out with my pizza combos. My go to is like a pumpkin, feta and pine nut pizza (if not chili prawn), and I will always defend pineapple on pizza and seafood pizzas. I am also a fan of dessert pizza. I make no apologies for this.

(Also, if you've never tried it, banana and bacon goes surprisingly well together - I remember having banana and bacon on like a toasted sandwich and I loved it).

Omg these are some surprising combos, maybe I'll give it a go one day hehe!

My strange combo is oreo and banana together - I dunno, why, but for me it just tastes good together hahaha! I haven't had it in a bit, but i remember i'd have it almost every day when i was in high school. Sometimes i split the oreo and put a bit of banana in between or ill put a bit of oreo in my mouth and then bite into the banana haha

(Also, if you've never tried it, banana and bacon goes surprisingly well together - I remember having banana and bacon on like a toasted sandwich and I loved it).

Reading this reminded me of the time I had a banana, bacon and peanut butter sandwich which was soooo good. I was meaning to make it at home but forgot all about it!

I like a really milky earl grey tea with a little vanilla. Also eating chocolate with ready salted crisps, simple but sooo good!

My go to is like a pumpkin, feta and pine nut pizza (if not chili prawn)
This sounds good, but I'm curious how to put pumpkin on the pizza. Are we talking slices of pumpkin on top or like pumpkin in the crust or sauce?

That sounds pretty decent! If I actually liked tuna I'd try it. :lol:

I mostly weird people out with my pizza combos. My go to is like a pumpkin, feta and pine nut pizza (if not chili prawn), and I will always defend pineapple on pizza and seafood pizzas. I am also a fan of dessert pizza. I make no apologies for this.

Pineapples on pizza I’m also for!! I think what is “strange”???! is that here in the netherlands we do chocolate on bread. I like peanutbutter and something we call “hagelslag” on top which is like little chocolate sprinkles. But perhaps others do it as well. Also an pickle with an sausage around it is nice. But I don’t know how to call it I guess an sausage thingy. We call it “worst” in The Netherlands but it is not the worst thing ever not like that. xD

This sounds good, but I'm curious how to put pumpkin on the pizza. Are we talking slices of pumpkin on top or like pumpkin in the crust or sauce?
slices! Small pieces of pumpkin on top.

New question: what's a 'strange' food combo that you enjoy?
I have a couple...
I dip a lot of things in ice cream. Fries, pizza, burgers, chicken, shrimp... Cinnamon on a pickle is good. Shrimp in bbq sauce. Peanut butter and apple jelly sandwich.

I like peanutbutter and something we call “hagelslag”
I love that it's so gooodddd and I don't even like peanut butter.

I guess my weirdest food combo would be kraft dinner and canned sardines. It's the opposite of nutritious but it's so yummy. Or I also really like cottage cheese with a little bit of honey and peaches. It's yummy and helps you hit macro goals. So yay

I love that it's so gooodddd and I don't even like peanut butter.
It's funny how that works, I don't like peanut butter either but peanut butter and chocolate? Yes please!

(I think it's the same with cherries, I don't like them by themselves but I like cherry chocolates and black forest cake, chocolate is just powerful I guess!)

Though this didn't make me keen to try the vegemite chocolate, I can be adventurous but some things I'm just not brave enough to touch...

New question!

Where do you like to sit on a plane? And if you've never been on a plane, another form of public transportation works!

I always choose the window seat and somewhere in the middle for planes, buses, trains... On local trains, I usually stand but if I do sit, it's somewhere in the middle too.

I've only flown a handful of times, so I tend to prefer window seats to enjoy the view. Trains aren't really a thing down here (🔪 government refusing to invest in basic infrastructure in the south so they can build more roads in tāmaki makaurau 🔪 ) but I take the bus daily and I tend to default to sitting near the front, usually right behind the accessible seat. My mum is disabled & needs to use the accessible seating, so it's just my default Bus Zone to be in ever since I was a kid. Feels weird to sit further back. (And you're not allowed to stand on our buses...)

With flying I usually try to get a window seat, because I get motion sick at times, doesn't matter where on the plane. With trains, I tend to prefer spots with table, usually by a window, but if it's a short journey I don't mind being without a window, doesn't matter where. For the bus, it usually depends how busy it is, but I like sitting on the top deck, usually by the window and by the stairs, because i have zero balance and will fall if it stops too abruptly.

Window seats 100%, I will take aisle though. Never doing middle seat again after I was stuck in one from London to Brisbane. My god, it was miserable. I'm not a small person so I had to kind of hunch forward to not be hitting the people either side of me with my arms. Usually I only go on short trips (2 hours max) but even then I'd really prefer a tiny bit more arm space. I don't really get a choice of where though because that costs extra.

Trains and buses I usually only take city ones and they're usually busy. Trains I'll just stand or sit in the easiest spot if it's going to be longer than 5-10 minutes. Usually I'll be near a door. Though there's no public transport out here so I just have to drive everywhere now.

I guess for planes either window or aisle. Middle seats don't seem to have much going for them. But I'm not picky either, I just take what I'm given.

For the bus, I like to sit in the window seat on the left side on the seat that's just behind the second door. I don't know why, I just gravitate there. It is a quick place to get out of so maybe that's why, but I don't know for sure. I don't go on trains enough to have a preferred seat.

I like the window seat for the view

plane - Window seats for sure. Usually nearer the back as you are more likely to have an empty seat next to you (the plane usually gets filled from the front). And i would pick a seat that looks like i have a chance of an empty seat next to me. But if I had to pay for the slightly higher tickets and get access to one of the priority seating areas for no cost, I would be nearer the front. There was one time when i booked a window seat and changed me to a middle seat. But it was also a change to the front row with extra leg room so there was no way i was complaining about that. as for the side i always forget to take into acount but idealy the side furthest from the sun so i can have my blind open without being blinded.

I catch the train and bus to work every day and in the morning, i have a specific seat. that is optimum.

in the first car of the back half of the train (the trains are made of two three car sections) i take the seat second row back from the door on the left hand side (Or right hand side from behind) as this is not one of the priority seats, however being only the second row it is less of a push to get out when it comes to my stop (which is one before the city centre where most people get off) and on the left as this is the west side an advantage in the morning as it means that i don't have the sun in my face or my phone reflecting the sun onto everyone. if this seat is taken i will go as close as i can and still get a window seat. if it is one of the trains that i call a "commuter train" with sideways seats. i will sit nearer the same door (it is the best to get out at my stop and may mean i can get the earlier bus sometimes) on the east side of the train (with the sun behind me not in my eyes) in a seat next to a pole, preferable in a block of three (you get an extra inch of space in a seat next to a pole, plus it means my bag can lean against the pole without getting in anyone way as i like to sit with my legs crossed, and in a block of three you are less likely to have someone sit in the middle seat than next to you in a block of two)

on the bus i like seat two behind the back door (the one just in front of where the back wheels remove all hope of you having leg room). as this is where the seats go up and it feels more spacious. the side of the bus depends on which bus i am on. default is the right (the side of the door) but if it is some trips (like when i take the 950 home) the left side has a better view as the bus goes along the river.

hmm. i guess that was a longer explanation than you wanted.

Middle seats don't seem to have much going for them.
What made me think of this question was that I was watching something where folks were debating if the middle seat person should by default get both arm rests since otherwise they get the short end of the stick with seating which I'd never thought about before but think I agree with. :p

I definitely agree with that after that 24 hour painfest. :r

Also remembered on longer bus trips I tend to sit closer to the back, but in the city on buses (or more likely trams cause Melbourne) I'll sit right near the front. Depends a bit on if I know where I'm going - if it's somewhere unfamiliar/a line I haven't taken before, definitely prefer the front so I can keep an eye out to make sure I don't miss my stop.

I do feel like middle seat especially on planes should get both arm rests, like the window seat gets the window space to lean against, and get comfortable with, and the aisle seat has aisle space and can get up much more easily.

This chart comes across my feed every now and then so I thought it would make a fun question. Which one is most similar to your preferred sleeping position?

tp-graphic-sleeping-positions-1.jpg

I'm closest to 2 :p .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back