Fantastic Beasts Discussion

Professor Monty Pendleton said:
IT WAS SO GOOD :party: Loved the story, loved the actors, loved the setting. I don't have much else to say, except that

The strudel scene was amazing. I've always wondered about wizard cooking and it was so fun to watch xD
Judging by Jacob's face, you weren't the only one enjoying it :p

I've went this evening together with Cian, and we loved it! I have to see it again, to really understand anything. But it was so cool!! I just love Queenie so much haha

Just putting all my thoughts in a spoiler to be safe :cool:
I was entertained by this movie and I really liked seeing more magic and the beasts and stuff, but I wasn't really blown away to be honest. I felt like the story was a bit weak and while I liked the characters a lot, they weren't very deep. I think it's setting up for some cool things, though, so I'll definitely watch the sequels. I just feel a little bit mixed about it I guess. I just felt like it was a bit too much showing off how cool the magic is and how fun the creatures are and not enough focus on the plot. But maybe I'm critical :r It still exceeded my expectations, partly because I really didn't know what to expect.

Just been to see this and overall it was pretty good. I loved the animals and Newt (Eddie Redmayne was adorable and amazing in this movie :wub: ). Definitely still prefer Harry Potter though.
Not feeling Johnny Depp as Grindelwald. Very, very disappointed with that tbh.

Madeline Walden said:
Not feeling Johnny Depp as Grindelwald. Very, very disappointed with that tbh.
Agreed. I couldn't even really take his appearance seriously =))

My brother and his wife asked me to go and although I had never seen or read Harry Potter before, I liked the movie more than I had expected.
My favorite part was all the little living creatures in the "basement sanctuary".

So i've watched it again and there are a couple of things I want to address.
There are a lot of theories turning up now about legillimens, about ariana dumbledore and I have to say I'm a little annoyed by all of this. I feel like if JK was going to introduce legillimency like that she should have made more of a use for it. As it is Queenie was literally around only to tell us what Newt was thinking which could have been better achieved some other way. Ariana Dumbledore as a possible obscurial makes no sense and i feel like she'll be going against her own canon. I've had several discussions with others on this topic and we can't seem to agree on whether it would even be plausible for Ariana to be an obscurial. I suppose we're probably running away with it a little, but the fact of the matter is if Dumbledore even suspected obscurial's and as we've seen Credence isn't dead, so he would have known about them, then why the heck would he place Harry with the Dursley's? It was very possible that Harry could have turned into one. We know why he didn't, but Dumbledore couldn't possibly have known that. I'm sort of ranting now and the more I think about it the more I decide I really actually didn't like the movie. I'm hoping most of this gets all cleared up in later movies, but as it stands right now I'm not a fan.

I am so late on the wagon. Once I get home for christmas break, I will run to a theater to watch it!!

Clara Hayes said:
So i've watched it again and there are a couple of things I want to address.
There are a lot of theories turning up now about legillimens, about ariana dumbledore and I have to say I'm a little annoyed by all of this. I feel like if JK was going to introduce legillimency like that she should have made more of a use for it. As it is Queenie was literally around only to tell us what Newt was thinking which could have been better achieved some other way. Ariana Dumbledore as a possible obscurial makes no sense and i feel like she'll be going against her own canon. I've had several discussions with others on this topic and we can't seem to agree on whether it would even be plausible for Ariana to be an obscurial. I suppose we're probably running away with it a little, but the fact of the matter is if Dumbledore even suspected obscurial's and as we've seen Credence isn't dead, so he would have known about them, then why the heck would he place Harry with the Dursley's? It was very possible that Harry could have turned into one. We know why he didn't, but Dumbledore couldn't possibly have known that. I'm sort of ranting now and the more I think about it the more I decide I really actually didn't like the movie. I'm hoping most of this gets all cleared up in later movies, but as it stands right now I'm not a fan.
So, I finalllyyy saw the movie today with my family. xD
Overall, I thought it was a pretty fun movie, but I'm not convinced we needed something like this. At first I was annoyed it was so disconnected from the canon we know and about some random throw away character - but now I'm annoyed at how it was connected...
Anyway, my main grievances are below:
First, the way she's set up the "ministry" equivalent in the US is antithetical to the system in the UK. The "ministry for magic" is like the "ministry of defence" etc. - answerable to the prime minister with another minister in charge. So the American equivalent would be a "department" with a "secretary" at its head. Sheesh. So lazy.
Secondly, obscurials. First, WTF. Secondly, care to explain why Harry never became one? Because he didn't personally suppress his magic? Credence was pretty jazzed about joining the wizard world... It seems like a half baked idea at best. Intriguing, sure, but pretty solidly out of nowhere.

Youve actually addressed one of the main points that annoyed me Nick. I didn't worry so much about the set up of MACUSA, but the other thing. Ugh.

I finally saw Fantastic Beasts today! It was better than I expected it to be. I'll post more when I've had some time to think about it a bit and read through some of the spoilers above again now that I've seen it, but I quite enjoyed seeing the magical creatures. ^_^

Has anyone rewatched and had any new thoughts?

I rewatched it last night actually and to be honest I found a lot of what happened in the movie to be a bit dumb.

For example, they hyped Leta like mad last movie and then she appeared for all of like five minutes and the died?? And Queenie's portrayal was bad, I disliked her immensely, she seemed like nothing more than a dumb stereotype in this movie and her portrayal in the first movie wasn't great but it was better than this. That spell, the revealing one Appare Vestigium was really obviously just a way to move the story along since it never existed before that movie and probably will never exist again. Newt is apparently the only person in the wizarding world who can accio living things, and apparently even though he neither graduated from Hogwarts nor had specialty training, is the only one who can hunt down a person the Ministry is looking for, yet they won't send an Auror? I don't understand how that makes sense at all. McGonagall apparently taught at Hogwarts eight years before she was born, did she use a time turner? Who knows, certainly Rowling doesn't seem to.

I haven't re-watched, I'm usually the kind of person who has to wait like five years before I can watch a movie again because it feels too fresh otherwise xD
Reading back, apparently I loved the movie, and overall I did enjoy both of them in a lot of ways, but after the second one I certainly found more to dislike than like :(

As much as I love magical creatures n HP, I'm still not a fan of the MacGuffin that is the Swooping Evil. The whole "suddenly it turns into HANDCUFFS" was too bizarre for me even by wizard standards :lol: And yes, while I did like Queenie initially she suddenly turned insane out of the blue. I'm also not a big fan of the whole "born with legilimency" thing, and suddenly no longer needing eye contact to use it. It's like if they suddenly came out and said some people were just naturally animagi I'd be pretty irked too. I love the concept of magical bloodlines where you have your seers/your metamorphs/your parselmouths, but turning a canonically learned ability into a genetic one is a bit meh.

It also brings to question, is any of it HNZ canon? Not in terms of plot because that would be ridiculous, but your obscurials, your maledicti, magical concepts of that sort. Just not half-elves no

Just not half-elves no
Okay see this was something I had a major issue with in the movie

She was a half elf, okay and the only elves we’ve even been introduced to are house elves... ergo, it’s pretty apparent they know we’re gonna jump to that conclusion, which means she’s half house elf. So she had one house elf parent and one human parent, probably magical given I can’t really see a muggle running into a house elf or thinking it would be a good idea to have sex with one, which then leads me to the point that house elves are canonically enslaved... which is a whole other problem of its own. So just... why? Why? WHY?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back