Open Professor & Staff Meeting Y45 | S1

Landon was in an excellent mood starting the new school year. His daughter was now attending Hogwarts and he couldn't be more proud of her. The professor's meeting was about to start, so Landon promptly made his way there, a beaming smile on his face. It was good to see all of the professors again, and maybe this time he would actually make a friend. As he entered the room, he began making himself a tea until he heard a rather disappointing comment from one of his colleagues. "Trenches?" he said, turning to Gabrielle. "This year is going to be better than the last, I can feel it." He reassured her. He could only hope she was joking.

@Professor Gabrielle Moncrieffe

Gabrielle wondered if sometimes her humour was far too dry, since Landon seemed to not really appreciate her comment. It had been sarcastic, but perhaps not obviously enough so, and she turned to him with a look of mild bemusement. "I suppose you are the expert on trenches, and digging them," she quipped, again perhaps a bit too dry. It had been a long time since she'd paid much attention to Herbology. "But I hope you are right. If the duels don't devolve into dark magic, use of foul language, and second years trying to pull each other's hair, it will be a vast improvement on last year." She still regretted how poorly she'd handled controlling the duels, and if she ever put her hand up for it again, she'd have to be much more stern and quick to enforce order. Same deal with class trips - being very strict with time and with ensuring students were touching portkeys. "Personally, I'm hoping the new second years have learned a little more responsibility."

@Professor Landon Carter

Landon chuckled a little at Gabrielle's comment. He knew her humour was different to most, and it was one of the things Landon liked about her. He continued making his tea as she spoke, pouring the water into his cup before responding. "Well I think this year's batch of second years are lovely. I'm sure they will be okay. I mean, can't be any worse than last year, so I'm optimistic." Landon smiled. He was always optimistic and didn't think dwelling on the past was worth it. "Will you assist with the dueling tournament again this year you think?" He wondered if he should help out with the tournament himself, however also didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Angel couldn't help but smirk at Sarah's hopes for Ravenclaw. "Well, I suppose they did come close last year," he said, mostly humouring her. At least until Elvera joined them with a rather ominous prediction. "Oh really?" He said, gamely, raising an eyebrow. "Care to make it interesting? If Slytherin wins, maybe you two can lend a hand mucking out the greenhouses for me at the end of the year," Angel offered with a grin, tucking his hands into his pockets.

@Professor Sarah Harrington @Professor Elvera Le Fey

Grace had now worked at Hogwarts for years and years, more than a decade. And she still didn't really have close friendships with any of her colleagues. She knew it was partly her own fault for not socializing a lot. It was a lot easier to stay on the pitch and away from the professor's common room. When she had started here at nineteen, she had been by far the youngest professor. Now, she definietly wasn't anymore. There were professors here now that she had taught, which was very strange. Grace grabbed herself a drink and stood to the side, wondering what this meeting would be about.

Josephine found these meetings tiring and usually mainly focused on the professors. But he knew she couldn't skip it, so she had shown up. She spotted Angel instantly and smiled fondly as she walked over to him. She could hear the end of the conversation and shook her head. "And what happens if another house wins? What are you going to do for them?" She asked innocently as she took Angel's arm.

@Professor Angel Castillo @Professor Sarah Harrington @ @Professor Elvera Le Fey

Matt watched with a smile as more and more of his colleagues walked into the professor's common room. He noticed how a lot of them stood by themselves, though a few were starting to socialize. This encouraged him to go on with his plan. A lot of the teachers stuck to their own part of the school and barely interacted with the others. Matt himself had been guilty of this when he as a professor. But if they wanted to give the best education they could, they would have to work to be one united front. He cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Hello and welcome everyone to the first staff meeting of this year. I hope you all had a wonderful break." He said with a smile. "I'd like to welcome Professor Noel Waldgrave and Professor Eleanor Schmidt to our school. They will teach lower year Defence Against the Dark Arts and upper year Arithmancy respectively." He gestured to the two new professors.

"That was it for announcements today. This meeting won't be about me telling you what we'll be doing this year. I want you all to participate."
Matt reached down to where he had put the quaffle out of sight and grabbed it, smiling as he showed it to the other teachers. "I'd like you all to stand in a circle. Everyone here has their own challenges and goals, and I think it'd be good for us to share them. So what we're going to do is toss the quaffle to someone else in the circle. If you get the quaffle, I want you to mention one personal goal for yourself this school year. It can be something to do with your teaching, your subject, your students, or anything you can think of." He knew some of the professors would hate this, but he hoped it would have a positive effect anyway. Matt gestured for them to form a circle and waited for it to happen. "I'll start. My personal goal this year is to be more visible to students and more approachable." He told them. He then made eye contact with Kahurangi. He trusted her to go along with this, he wasn't entirely sure about some of the other teachers. "Kahurangi, here." He said, tossing her the quaffle.

@Professor Kahurangi Josephs

OOCOut of Character:
Source: I am a teacher, I've had to do stuff like this :r

For this game, after you had your turn you just @ someone who has already posted in the thread and throw the quaffle to them

Kahurangi wanted to get involved in the conversation with Angel and Elvera, but the meeting moved on before she could really dig into the house rivalries. She listened as Matt introduced the new professors, applauding politely, though she couldn't shake her worries about Noel's behaviour as a student. She could only hope he was more respectful to Adorah than he had been to Minnie. It wasn't her concern for now at any rate, as Matt introduced their task for the day, and handed it off to her first. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes at him, thinking for a moment about her goals. "I think my goal is to engage with my seventh years more about the purpose of the seventh year course. It's very different from fifth and sixth, and last year there were students who didn't really understand which aspect of rune reading they were supposed to be developing. So I'm going to be clearer with that class this time around." She finished with a small nod, before throwing the ball on to Sarah.
@Professor Sarah Harrington

Sarah nodded to @Professor Adorah Zumwalt as she came over to the group that was gathering around her. Her focus at the moment was more on Angel and his teasing about Slytherin winning the house cup for another year. Elevera came up and suggested another team would win. That made Sarah grin a bit, she didn't mind who won but she would always be the proudest of her Ravenclaw house for winning. As she was about to respond to the current conversation Matt began his introductions of new Professors and a little game he wanted them to do. She wasn't sure but she knew they weren't children that needed to learn teambuilding through silly exercises like this. But unfortunately for Sarah Kahurangi picked her next. "Right, I have a goal of making it to a few more quidditch games and showing support for my students outside class," she said before tossing the quaffle towards Elvera. She had been tempted to throw it at someone who might derail the entire thing sooner but she liked Matt so she decided not to.

@Professor Elvera Le Fey

Elvera was slightly surprised when her comment had turned into a bet. If slytherin won she and kahutangi would be helping in the greenhouse before they could set the counter terms the meeting started. She listened as Matt introduced the exercise what was her goal for the year. She didn’t really have one. She had been teaching so long it was just what she did.
Before she had much time to think the quaffle came towards her she caught it. umm my goal for this year would be to get to know my students better so I can focus the course to their needs. and my colleagues it would be nice to get to know them better too. she said. Looking around the circle she passed the ball towards Adorah one of the younger professors who she didn’t know very well.

@Professor Adorah Zumwalt

Adorah was not prepared for the headmaster to put them all in a circle, but she shuffled in next to Sarah and the others, feeling anxious as she sifted through her thoughts. She wasn't sure what her goal was this year. She had just wanted to get used to teaching and be more organized last year, which she had somewhat accomplished. She was getting better about her lesson plans, keeping track of goals and what worked and didn't with each group of students. But she hadn't thought about this year and specific goals yet, which may have shown her inexperience at teaching. She almost caught the quaffle, but it slipped through her fingers and onto the floor. Feeling her face flush, the former Ravenclaw picked it up and looked up at everyone, trying to lock eyes with Noel so she had at least a little comfort. "Uh, well, I suppose a goal I have is to learn my students' names faster since I won't have as many to learn right off the bat. Hopefully, that will help with getting to know them better, too." Adorah swallowed hard and then tossed the ball across the circle a little to her left, watching as it headed for @Professor Kalif Styx .

It never occurred to Styx that he would even be involved in such an exercise, but before he could even slip out, a young professor tossed the quaffle at him. His gloved hands caught it, and he muttered under his breath in his native tongue, "This is absolutely ridiculous." He let out a sigh and said simply, "My personal goal is to not push Haden in a Devil's Snare." He tossed the quaffle toward @Professor Cyndi Kingsley and stepped away from the others to make himself some tea since he would need the caffeine. Being around a large group of people just sucked his energy away. He could just leave personally, but if called out or told to stop, he would lose his temper and he just did not want the drama and headache.

Matt was glad the exercise was being picked up, even though he knew a lot of his colleagues weren't trilled about it. He smiled at Kahurangi and watched as the ball went back and forth, nodding at some of the answers. When Adorah tossed the ball at Kalif, Matt watched with bated breath. He hadn't been entirely sure Kalif wouldn't outright refuse to participate, and he wasn't sure what to do if that happened. He let out a breath of relief when he did say something, not even caring that it wasn't a serious answer. He nodded at the man in respect as he left the circle to get himself some tea. He hen turned his attention to Cyndi.

The professor was usually a fan of icebreakers and games, but she was feeling off today. She figured everyone was entitled to that every now and then, though having this particular ice breaker meant she had to push her way out of it. Plastering a smile across her face that she didn't quite feel, the professor stood in a circle with her colleagues. She tried her best to listen to the personal goals each one had. It was only when Kalif went that her smile became a bit more genuine. She was surprised he participated at all, so that he had a goal to not harm Misha on top of it was quite a victory for the Headmaster's event. Catching the quaffle easily, the professor let out an involuntary sigh. "My goal is to make sure my upper year students feel more prepared as they get ready to graduate and enter the world beyond this school." She glanced around and tossed the quaffle to @Irene Holland.

Irene was just glad to receive word that there would be something new to look forward to for the first meeting of the term. Seeing the rest of the staff was lovely before things got crazy busy. There were refreshments and she just stayed to the side until they were asked to gather in a circle. Soon enough a quaffle was passed around along with personal goals being said. She caught the quaffle after it was tossed to her by Prof. Kingsley. "My personal goal is to encourage students to read outside of their comfort area.", she simply said, tossing the quaffle to @Professor Killian Borisyuk, "Professor, catch."

Killian attempted to be in a circle, but it was a bit rough for him. He kept a distance and remained on his knee for this exercise. And soon enough, the quaffle was thrown to him. He caught it with one hand, and had to think of a goal on the spot. "Just keep the kids of today from repeating the mistakes of the past." Killian shrugged his shoulders and tossed the quaffle toward @Professor Misha Haden although, it might have been a bit too hard of a throw considering the lack of restraint he held.

Misha had been watching as others threw the quaffle about and had been waiting for it to arrive at him. He didn't however expect it to be Professor Borisyuk, or the strength of it. It completely winded him. His stomach was absolutely going to be bruised. "My goal," he said with a strained voice. "Is continue to have a calm environment for the kids to focus on their spell casting," and then tossed it to the herbology professor. @Professor Landon Carter

Landon thought the headmaster's idea was great. As he watched others have their turn, he began to think of what he would say. He had many goals yet to achieve in his life and wasn't exactly sure where to start. The whole activity made him realise that his goals were important and he should always be striving to achieve them. As Misha threw it to him, he caught it and spoke. "My goal is to make as many friends as possible, both with my colleagues and students, and allow my students freedom to come to me with any issue without feeling upset or guilty." he explained, attempting to put a couple of goals into one. He then passed the quaffle on to Gabrielle, interested in what she had to say.

Gabrielle thought for a moment, half about to answer until the meeting actually started. She gave an apologetic smile to Landon, listening the plans for their meeting and being a bit caught out by what they'd have to do. Thankfully, she had some time to listen to the others and ponder her own answer. She did have to bite back a laugh at Kalif Styx's response - she didn't think he'd appreciate the laugh, nor would Misha, but it did rather amuse her to hear such a frank response. Though she sobered up and took the quaffle when it was passed to her, trying to think up an answer that wasn't too trite. Or that would be taken entirely the wrong way. "My goal is to be a little better at enforcing the rules." She grimaced. "Not in an authoritarian sense, in a being a respectable authority figure sense." She tossed the quaffle over to @Professor Angel Castillo rather than elaborating further, tempted to make a comment about how saying getting Slytherin to win the House Cup again would be a cop-out but thinking better of it.

Angel smiled as Josephine joined them, looping an arm loosely around her waist, ready to hear Sarah and Elvera's potential counter offers for their little wager he was hoping to get going. When Matt started the meeting however, Angel settled for a hand motion that he hoped implied they'd finish this conversation later, tuning into whatever activity their headmaster had planned.

It was all a bit twee and Angel smiled along good-naturedly as the quaffle was tossed around. As much as he wanted to act too cool for the activity, he did have to admit he had an actual goal this year, ready when Gabrielle threw the quaffle his way. "My goal this year is to encourage a bit more shall we say, friendliness and comradery in the Slytherin common room," he said as he turned the quaffle in his hands, figuring the rest of the staff there didn't need him to tell them that his house's general attitude wasn't exactly the most cooperative at the best of times. He wasn't even sure half of the students in the same year were even on speaking terms most of the time. "You're up," he said, lobbing the quaffle over to their new Arithmancy teacher. @Professor Eleanor Schmidt

Eleanor became a bit nervous, but she watched as the quaffle went between different professors as they spoke. She nodded along, liking what was being said. It wasn't long before the quaffle was thrown in her direction. a little clumsy as she caught the quaffle, which made her a bit embarrassed. She thought for a moment as she tossed the quaffle between her hands as she thought. Eleanor knew she should've thought of something while the quaffle was being passed. "Hmm, I guess getting to know my students a little better and have them be comfortable in the classroom and to make them feel encouraged in some way that they can easily approach me for anything at all" Eleanor spoke with a small smile. Maybe it wasn't the greatest answer like the other professors before her, but she felt like it was somewhat of a start. She looked around the room at the other professors, before gently throwing the quaffle to one of the other professors. "Here"

@Professor Lena Williams

Mallory had come in quietly to the teachers meeting, a lot on her mind. Her sisters' health wasn't doing too well, and it had her worried. She chewed on her lip as she sat off to the side, twisting a handkerchief in her hand as her mind wandered. She blinked as she suddenly heard the headmaster speaking. She looked up, taking a few deep breaths and focusing on what the man was saying. The game seemed interesting, so she stood and took her place with the others, listening to the others go on.

Lena was listening to everything her coworkers were saying until the ball was passed to her. She thought for a moment and then spoke, spinning the ball in her hands. "I want to make Arithmancy more exciting this year... or at least get the students more excited." She knew that was hard to do, what with them doing mostly math, but it was an important part of divination. She tossed the ball to a nearby coworker.
@Josephine Arora

Users who are viewing this thread

Back