Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Swishy Pear Wand with Boomslang Venom Core
Similar to the Netflix thread, I figured we should have a thread for podcasts because holy crud I am obsessed and I'm sure you guys are too. I started listening to podcasts because a few of my travel friends introduced them to me and I adore them.

These are ones I love:
Risk!
Crybabies
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Guys We F****d
The Heart
The Mortified Podcast

Which ones are you guys listening to?

I moved this to the same area as the Netflix topic. :)

I used to love Girl on Guy, but Aisha Tyler isn't making new episodes anymore. :(

I mostly listen to crime related podcasts so listen at your own risk :

Serial
S-town was not what I expected it to be, but still intriguing.
Up and Vanished is what I'm currently listening to. The last episode I heard had one of my old professors in it so I felt like I was back in lecture. xD

Spirits: A drunken guide to myths and legends is also fun and interesting. I listen in between episodes of Up and Vanished.

My Brother My Brother and Me
The Adventure Zone
Sawbones
Reading Glasses
Unspoiled! Harry Potter
The Worst Bestellers
Trends Like THese

These are some of my favorites ^_^ a lot of them are by the McElroy brothers who do My Brother My Brother and Me + The Adventure Zone together and a few separate from each other, but also a few just random.

I love The Adventure Zone!

I mostly listen to Welcome to Nightvale, which is about a radio presenter in a fictional desert town discussing the strange things that happen there. Its very Twilight Zone meets your daily news station. I went and saw one of their live shows when they visited Australia.
Every other podcast I listen to are mostly just youtube entertainers branching off from their core channels, so I don't really count them as much

Literally never listened to a podcast in my life

Myths and Legends
Dude Soup
Stuff You Missed in History Class
The History of Egypt
Punch Drunk TV
Off Topic

These are the ones I have been listening to!

TitleDescription[/td]</TH>
CANADALANDA media-criticism show, obviously about the Canadian media.
This American Life...pretty much the most popular podcast in the world, no?
Beautiful Stories from Anonymous PeoplePeople call in and talk to the host for an hour about... whatever. "1 phone call. 1 hour. No names. No holds barred."
99% Invisible"A weekly exploration of the process and power of design and architecture."
What Trump Can Teach Us About Con LawHosted by the same guy from 99% Invisible, but with his friend/neighbour the constitutional law professor!
About the things the Trump presidency in the United States is revealing about the constitution... and, in my opinion, just how incredibly both broken and untested the American constitution really is. (So many of the clauses they've discussed so far have not been tested in court so have no obvious defined meaning. Presidents have just always roughly adhered to what previous presidents have done to be safe... and Trump doess nottt careeeee @_@ )
Grownups Read Things They Wrote as KidsLiterally what the title says?
People read things they wrote as children to live audiences.
It runs the gambit from silly to intense and heartbreaking.
It's also often completely uncertain whether or not I'll enjoy the episode!
The DailyThe failing New York Times' very successful podcast - every morning, a quick update on stuff I should know from a journalist who's on the beat.
[th colspan="2"]Currently[/th] [th]

TitleDescription[/td]
S-TownWhat Cyndi said.
Fair Folk PodcastAbout folk music on different themes across cultures, or within specific cultures. Just finished its first season.
Also the only podcast with the word "podcast" in the name.
Intrigue: Murder in the Lucky Holiday HotelThis one was sooo convoluted and messy of a story, I forget what put me onto listening to it exactly - but just highlights the ongoing political situation in China, and how they do politics internally (and a little bit how they interact with the rest of the world).
HeavyweightI'm not sure that's going to have a second season (maybe I should just start listening to "Homecoming" instead...) - but this is "Jonathan Goldstein [with] road trips, thorny reunions, and difficult conversations as he backpedals his way into the past like a therapist with a time machine."
No Such Thing As A FishFrom the QI elves. Really just people chatting and joking about random facts they've found over the last week.
I used to listen to this show all the time - now I just download a couple episodes if I've run out of stuff to listen to.
[th colspan="2"]Previously/Whenever it's back on...[/th] <TH> [th]

...as you can tell, I have some long commutes with no data. xD

I've never really listened to podcasts before, but after reading this I started listening to Up and Vanished because I love true crime stories :)

YESSS PODCASTS! I was meaning to make a thread like this at some stage, I'm glad someone did :lol:

I'm also a big McElroy fan, they make all but one of the podcasts I listen to xD

My Brother, My Brother and Me (Comedy "Advice" podcast)
The Adventure Zone (D&D live-play podcast)
Sawbones (Medical history podcast)
Rosebuddies (Bachelor/ette recap podcast) (I have never even watched the shows but the hosts of this podcast are so dang charming)
Oh No, Ross and Carrie! (Investigative podcast studying fringe groups, cults, strange practices, and conspiracy theories)

There are so many interesting sounding podcasts in this thread, I'm gonna have to make a list to check out!

I love this thread. It's going to help me out.

I teach a podcast to my American literature students every Friday as part of an ongoing digital literacy/storytelling unit. At the end of the semester, students are going to create their own podcast.

In the past, we've only taught serial but we are branching out a bit. I'm teaching the first two episodes of Limetown this friday. It's a fictional story but super interesting.

Alright this is gonna make me sound dumb, but I didn't even realize that some of the stuff I listen to can be classified as podcasts until now =))

Going to look into some of the podcasts mentioned here because I've clearly been missing out :D

Last edited:
Oh man Anna, that reminds me, I keep hearing ads for a podcast I think you'd really enjoy, and forgetting to mention it to you! It's called Song Exploder, they sit down with musicians and take their songs apart and talk about how they were written and why they made the decisions they did... I haven't actually sat down and listened to an episode yet, but every time I hear the ads I'm like "Oh yeah, I need to tell Anna about this!" and then immediately forget :lol:

Ainsley Lynch said:
Oh man Anna, that reminds me, I keep hearing ads for a podcast I think you'd really enjoy, and forgetting to mention it to you! It's called Song Exploder, they sit down with musicians and take their songs apart and talk about how they were written and why they made the decisions they did... I haven't actually sat down and listened to an episode yet, but every time I hear the ads I'm like "Oh yeah, I need to tell Anna about this!" and then immediately forget :lol:
That sounds interesting! Will have to check it out :D Thanks for letting me know :hug:

I finished Up and Vanished (for now) over the weekend, so I've just started a podcast called Convicted. True crime, obvs. It's hosted by a social worker who investigates wrongful convictions.

I've been enjoying Levar Burton Reads lately.

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:
I've been enjoying Levar Burton Reads lately.
He was a guest on one of my favourites (Two Dope Queens) recently and he was hilarious and charming and when my podcast app starts working again I'll have to check this out because Reading Rainbow was my jam as a kid.

I love Welcome to Night Vale, and I've very nearly caught up to The Adventure Zone (which, surprise surprise, Rowan got me into). I don't listen to any others at the moment, but some of the things mentioned in this thread sound interesting to check out.

This is just a rundown of podcasts I've been listening to lately.

Stuff Mom Never Told You: A Podcast that shares the significance of different aspects of life through a feminist lens. Talks about everything from Taylor Swift to the #MeToo campaign.
Stuff You Missed In History Class: I've only just started to listen to them because of their Halloween scary historical episodes but the hosts make history so much fun. I particularly like that they talk about Theodosia Burr's disappearance.
Terrible, Thanks for Asking: Hosted by a writer who lost her husband and father in a matter of weeks of one another while she was pregnant with their first child. Explores how sometimes responding 'I'm fine' to 'How are you' is not true and that's fine. It's not just about grieving though. Some episodes have been about traumatic brain injuries, assault, etc, etc.
The Daily Zeitgeist: Talking about news and pop culture. Pretty funny, actually.
Modern Love: Stories about love, loss & redemption. People read personal essays about these topics.
The Heart: About sex and love and recently body autonomy. Many episodes can have very mature themes, sometimes about assault so keep that in mind but Kaitlin Prest always warns if that is the case.
Rough Guides Podcast: As a traveller I find some of the things discussed in this podcast interesting but in my opinion they miss the mark sometimes when it comes to the political aspect of travel considering this podcast is part of a huge travel guide writing company.
The Mortified Podcast: Adults read entries from their teenage diaries. It's hilarious, trust me.
Sawbones: A medical history podcast. Super neat!
Girlboss Radio: The founder of Nasty Gal interviews amazing female entrepreneurs about their career, personal life and what it means to them to be a 'girl boss'. For the most part I think it's rather sweet but it can be very white, hetero-centric so watch out for that.
Dear Sugars: An advice podcast like 'Aunt Meg'. I'm not sure why but I always found this really interesting.
Where Should We Begin? Hosted by Esther Perrell, who frequently is a guest on Dear Sugars. She is a relationship therapist and the podcast follows 10 anonymous couples beginning therapy with her.
Broken Record: They're brand new - only have one episode but it's promising. They discuss music of all kinds which I think could be really cool. Their first episode they had Eminem talk to them about his career & his latest single.

Nicolas King said:
HeavyweightI'm not sure that's going to have a second season (maybe I should just start listening to "Homecoming" instead...) - but this is "Jonathan Goldstein [with] road trips, thorny reunions, and difficult conversations as he backpedals his way into the past like a therapist with a time machine."
[th colspan="2"]Previously/Whenever it's back on...[/th]
It's been harder to listen to as many podcasts as I was since I started biking to work and moved a bit closer (much shorter commutes now) - but Heavyweight is back on and it's been pretty good! ^_^

Bringing this back!

I've been listening to Happy Face, which is talking about a serial killer but is mostly about his daughter and her coming to terms with who her dad is.

I've also been enjoying Armchair Expert with Dax Shepherd which is pretty interesting.

I'm new to the podcast world, better late than never thought right?

I started on a Harry Potter theme listening to Mugglecast and Potterless.

I've since branched out and started listening to more political stuff, the Daily (New York Times), Today in focus (The Guardian) as well as POD Save the World and POD save America. Its quite nice to listen the problems from another country. I've also recently finished listening to Wolf 359 an audio drama (highly recommend) and started listening to Imagined Life which uses a second person narrative to put you in a celebrities life (one of them was JK Rowling).

I am fairly new to the podcast world. And have only listened to one and have almost finished it.
The worm audio book. I am sure I have mentioned it before but it is an audiobook about a world where some people develop super powers but not generally you main ones of flight strength speed and invincibility. The main character for example can control bugs. Which may sound boring but trust me she can make it work. On her first night out in costume she tries to be a hero fights a bad guy and accidentally gets mistaken as a villain and it all goes from there. It definitely deserves more publicity than it has.

Bringing this back!

I've been listening to Happy Face, which is talking about a serial killer but is mostly about his daughter and her coming to terms with who her dad is.

I've heard about this! Is it a long series? I myself enjoy My Favorite Murder.

Posting again because I'm hoping to have podcast discussions :woot:...

I've recently been listening to Little Known Facts with Ilana Levine and the new The Office podcast by Angela Kinsey and Jenna Fischer. What are you guys listening to?

Podcaaasts! I'm still listening to all the shows I listed above, plus Wonderful, which is just a podcast about enthusiasm and positivity. It's a really good pick-me-up!

I tried listening to Jonathan Van Ness's podcast, Getting Curious, has anyone else listened to it? I wanted to like it, but I don't think Jonathan is a very good interviewer, he kept cutting people off rather than listening, which I found frustrating. In one episode the interviewee actually had to ask him to be quiet so he could finish a sentence.

Also, The Adventure Zone just started a new campaign and I'm HYPE for it! Anyone else listening to Graduation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back