Last BOOK you read

I’m in the middle of the book Eragon, by Christopher Paolini, but just finished An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

Just finished Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. I don't really know how I feel about it xD it had some good ideas, and I liked parts of it, but... other parts just really annoyed me. I read it cus John Green mentioned it being good in a vlog buuut it didn't leave any impact on me like it did him. Each to their own!!

I must sound like a nerd. Quidditch through the ages. I actually found it funny to read. I actually understand more of the Quidditch team my character is Chaser off. The first page from the librarian cracked me up :")

The Child Thief by Brom

It was good but not an easy book to get through x_x

I recently bought a bunch of new books because I started reading books on the way to work. I've just finished Jinni's Wish, which is a great book if you're into romance. It's part of a series called Kingdom, all the big bads, like Captain Hook, The Big Bad Wolf, The Mad Hatter etc, have like Soul Mates and their fairy god mother Danika, the little witch that she is, nabs ladies from our world and drops them in Kingdom. It's great for a little light reading.

Soooo funny

Just finished I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Took me a while to get into it :lol: but about half way through it picked up and it was a good read... if you like 1930s romance and old castles xD

Anddd just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - another one I put down a long time ago and never bothered to pick back up again. Trying to get into the habit of finishing books, now :lol:

It was a good story, I guess, but I didn't feel moved by it in any way. Maybe I'd need to read the next two books for that? xD Not going to bother though.

Professor Monty Pendleton said:
Anddd just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - another one I put down a long time ago and never bothered to pick back up again. Trying to get into the habit of finishing books, now :lol:

It was a good story, I guess, but I didn't feel moved by it in any way. Maybe I'd need to read the next two books for that? xD Not going to bother though.
I read the first book ages ago and still haven't read the second (or third, I think there's a third now? ) book because I felt similarly. xD

I felt the same way as well! I did end up reading the other books though xD in my opinion, they weren't really all that better. I can't even really remember what happened in them :r

It's a bit of an over hyped series, I feel :x

I'm the same actually, though the book nerd in me died alittle with the movie.

I just finished reading Tell Me A Riddle by Tillie Olsen, she inspired a generation of women writers with this novel like Margaret Atwood, Sandra Cisneros and Alice Walker, all great women in their own right. This book started it off and it's so raw and intimate that you can't help feeling the words on the page. I love it. Highly recommend.

Reading on my way home is my Zen time. :p

I've been reading my way through Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen series. I'm in the middle of book 3.

Ohh Cyndi that is on my to read list, is it good so far?

I just finished To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo, sort of a retelling of The Little Mermaid with a twist and I really loved it!

After I finish my books I'm totally going to check a couple of these out :p

Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray the other day, really awesome, loved it (especially as I had no idea what it was about when I bought it). Now I'm reading Frankenstein but not enjoying that so much right now xD going to be a chore to finish I think.

Amber Chou Wilson said:
Ohh Cyndi that is on my to read list, is it good so far?
It took me a bit to get into the first one, but yes I'm enjoying them. I thought it was a trilogy but I just saw the last one comes out very soon. x_x
Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray the other day, really awesome, loved it (especially as I had no idea what it was about when I bought it). Now I'm reading Frankenstein but not enjoying that so much right now xD going to be a chore to finish I think.
Dorian Gray is one of my favorite books! :wub:

Now I'm reading Frankenstein but not enjoying that so much right now xD going to be a chore to finish I think.
Totally agree, Frankenstein was one of my uni texts and I swear it took me the whole semester to read it. <_< <_< <_<

I'm currently reading Iluminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff. I really love it so far! It's a science fiction book but it's told entirely in transcripts, files, emails and things like that. It's so cool, and looks really awesome too! I usually am more of an ereader but I'm so glad I got the physical book for this. :wub:

Last I finished if I remember correctly was A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah Maas. I love her writing and it was good book overall though the fighting stuff ended too quickly for me.. I wanted to see more D: But it was also devastating! :cry:

I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I've been meaning to read more of his books for ages, since I'm a huge Pratchett fan and I loved Good Omens, and this did not disappoint. A fairly standard premise, secret magical world beneath London etc., but really well done. Great characters, and some excellent plot twists.

I've not read anything for agesss but I just bought the Southern Reach trilogy. I heard good things so fingers crossed :r

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:

I read the first book ages ago and still haven't read the second (or third, I think there's a third now? ) book because I felt similarly. xD
Same. I read the first one and I have book two and three but hmm, not especially tempted to continue =))

Darcy's Diary.

It was amazing. I was so sad when it ended. If you liked Pride and Prejudice you have to read it.

I manage to get a lot of reading down in work, during lunch breaks etc., most recently I finished Ready Player One, which i had a lot of thoughts about. So if anyone else has read it and wants to chat about it, i'm here for that sort of chat.

I also read Flowers for Algernon recently and by christ that book is amazing. Just such an incredibly well crafted story and oh man, so sad.

I'm currently reading The Testament of Loki by Joanne Harris and it's very good. Hers is my favourite version of Loki out of all the adaptations; this is I think a sequel to the Gospel of Loki, which is a retelling of the Norse myths from Loki's point of view and one of my favourite books.

So it's set after Ragnarok, in the modern world, and is rather sillier than most of her books, but it's a lot of fun. And there's a canon disabled character, and a canon lesbian couple who currently seem very likely to get a happy ending.

I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. @Professor Cyndi Kingsley already told me the entire story, but I really wanted to read something in the Harry Potter world again. I am not a fan of Rose Weasley.

I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's calling. I've had it for a while and since the new book in the series just came out I figured I'd give it a go. Early days but I like it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back