Y36 Sorting Reactions

Ohh this one was completely out of left field. I had been so convinced Sawyer was a puff or maybe even a stealth Gryff at a stretch. I'm so excited to see him in 'claw. (I also think it's karma I spent quite awhile talking to Kadi earlier about how I find accidental Ravenclaws really difficult oops).

I'm loving the official tallies people keep showing me, I can't be bothered to do it myself
I'm laughing because I didn't even get a chance to post my predictions here ahaha, so I'll do it now.
Nora Blythe I'm no surprised she got Hufflepuff, I was pretty sure she was going to front he beginning. She wouldn't really have cared what house she got, though she would not have wanted Ravenclaw as her mother was a Ravenclaw at HS, so she would have felt like she was being compared to her mother, which is not something she likes at all. She's got the patience and dedication for it, and she does value hard work, so I wasn't really expecting any other house for her, so this came as no great surprise. I didn't think she would be Ravenclaw anyway, because she's really not got the right stuff for that, she's creative but not really, she's smart but its not her greatest asset. I think probably the most outstanding asset for her would be her compassion and willingness to sacrifice her morals for her passion, which I find to be a very Hufflepuff thing. I really should have added more to her sorting form, but I don't think it would have changed the outcome much if at all.
Land Zephyr, honestly, not surprised. I'd pretty much expected Gryffindor, he's kind of a more malicious Elio type. What I mean by that is he's hyperactive, and impulsive a bit like how Elio was in the beginning, but he's prone to more malicious intent, if you will. Where Elio would apologise to someone for hurting them accidentally, Land would figure it was their fault for getting in the way. I can see him getting into quite a bit of trouble as the years go on and he really has very little to no self control at all, so that's going to be a lot of fun for Cyndi I imagine.

Cami Zephyr - this one was a bit harder to place, because as I was doing her sorting form, I was getting a lot of Hufflepuff vibes from her. But I def felt like it would be between those two, because Cami is also very much a thrill seeker who doesn't let herself get pushed around. She highly values strength of character and sticking to your morals. She doesn't even care if you morals are fundamentally different to hers, or "wrong" as long as you stick to them, because as far as she can tell, being able to argue for your fact or opinion, even if it is wrong or unpopular makes you rather a strong and interesting person. She has a lot of bravado as a front, but she's really quite a soft person on the inside, which was where I thought the Hufflepuffness might come into it. To be honest though, she's not a particularly "fair" person, so Gryffindor makes sense in that area.

Jemima Kaster, I was honestly hoping for Gryffindor, I'm not entirely convinced I couldn't have nudged her into Hufflepuff if I hadn't slacked on her sorting form because there's a lot about her that I think would have made more sense in Gryffindor, but I'm happy with this placement even if she is not. Moral to the story, write better sorting forms! Explanations are important guys. Being sorted into Hufflepuff will grown her in a way that being in Gryffindor wouldn't have and she wouldn't have been very safe their either to be honest, so maybe Hufflepuff really is the best place for her, despite her brother being in that house.

Reid Porter: This came as no surprise either, I was hoping for and expecting Hufflepuff with him, giving his chill attitude towards everything and wanting to be laid back and relaxed. He's fair and tries not to judge people and is loyal to the people in his inner circle.

Saoirse Smith - I had no doubts about Saoirse, a major chunk of her family are all Slytherin, and she's ambitious and loyal to the name, so I didn't really see any other options for her to be honest.
Hadley Orel - I didn't know where she was going to be, though I initially thought Gryffindor until I wrote more into her app, she's very logical and super optimistic. She's imaginative, she has to be as a muggleborn trying to marry science and magic, but she's really outgoing. She chases knowledge for the sake of understanding it and really loves helping people out.
Caleb Bennett - I really didn't know where Caleb was going to be, he has a lot of qualities and the hat even admitted he could have gone anywhere (though I think that's more owed to me not being very clear on who he is, I was terrible with filling out the sorting form for him, so I'm excited to see how he goes with his house.
Eretria Shannara - She was a Puff from the get go, though she'll be really disappointed that her best friend isn't in the same house. He's the only one who can communicate with her properly and so she's a bit terrified to be on her own essentially. She's not very opinionated or ambitious and she definitely is a fair person since she doesn't pass judgements on most things, she's loyal to her family and those close to her and she is sometimes a bit of an outside. She's an introvert, but would change her opinions to match who she was talking to as she doesn't like conflict. I'm looking forward to her development.

I always find it so interesting to see what qualities people feel exemplify certain houses.. I've thought in the past with the right angle you could argue almost any character/person into any house if you think hard enough 🤔 though that usually comes from getting into arguments with other people over what house x fictional character would be in...

I always find it so interesting to see what qualities people feel exemplify certain houses.. I've thought in the past with the right angle you could argue almost any character/person into any house if you think hard enough 🤔 though that usually comes from getting into arguments with other people over what house x fictional character would be in...
I think this reality is why we haven't just automated sorting and let people run wild with it year over year. It'd be pretty simple to do - but it wouldn't be very nuanced, or sensitive, or consider the angles between "sure, learning's a 10 and ambition is a 8, but when the character is described it's more about helping others than themselves..." to say nothing of the je ne sais quois that places Longbottom and Granger in Gryffindor (rightly) and not Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, respectively. People grow and change or have a deep spark and capacity in them for something truer than the surface. In universe, the hat sees that stuff.

Yess, I personally love the sorting system and the chance to really try to explore motivations and hidden depths (if you so chose) in your app. I never really trust those 4 answer quizzes tbh. And the element of chance and interpretation is way more fun to RP with.

(Also I'm rethinking Sawyer's sorting app and I totally get the claw choice now whoops how'd that slip me by)

When I'm not sorting a heck tonne of characters, I get really, really in depth, but its hard to do nine times ahaha. I've argued for houses that seem completely inappropriate on the outside, but seeing the inner workings of a characters has made it quite clear where they should be... I just could not be hecked to do it this time ahahah

I think it's important sorting is not an automatic process not only to keep balance but it also helps people keep things a bit fresh, granted I would have been extremely surprised for Luxen to have ended up in a different house than Slytherin but any of my other characters really could have gone into any house at the end of the day. The surprise makes it kinda exciting when the character isn't hard set and allows people to grow OOC as Rper's I believe. I don't think a person should change their character based off the house they get sorted into but at the same time it can make you think more about why that character got placed where they were.

I don't think a person should change their character based off the house they get sorted into but at the same time it can make you think more about why that character got placed where they were.
Yeah I think it's a great way to keep things fresh like you said and consider how they can grow. And often I find just having other chars around them in their house makes them develop in ways I couldn't have planned. (Also why I try to avoid "aiming" for a certain house anymore. The surprise is way more fun even if I have vague ideas about placement beforehand)

but its hard to do nine times ahaha.
Feeling this pretty hard :r

So far I've been surprised, not just by where my students have been sorted, but how when I'm doing the form I realise that actually they may well end up in a house I'd never considered. For the most part I like being surprised though, I have vague plans for people these days but it's fun when it's challenged.

Yeah I think it's a great way to keep things fresh like you said and consider how they can grow. And often I find just having other chars around them in their house makes them develop in ways I couldn't have planned. (Also why I try to avoid "aiming" for a certain house anymore. The surprise is way more fun even if I have vague ideas about placement beforehand)

I'm neither for not against 'aiming for a house' all of my characters did end up in the houses I suspected they would be In after filling out the form, however Luxen being the character I would honestly consider my main is actually super hard set (I have plots in motion for when he eventually leaves Hogwarts) while I would have figured it out should he have been sorted into a different house...there just wasn't anything in my mind that said he would or should have been in a different house so I can understand others feeling the same way. Any other character of mine really did have qualities that could have put them in other houses and I probably would have explored those qualities when around others to see how they fit the character if that makes sense..at the same time I do think your setting yourself up for disappointment if you aim for all of your characters to be in select houses without considering the possibilities. Especially with the larger families, sure most might end up in the same houses but it can be unrealistic that every member would fall in the same, example would be Sirius and the Blacks from Canon.

Of you keep an open mind than it opens up fun and exciting possibilities at the end of the day...

I'm hoping Slytherin but I dream last night that she was sorted into Ravenclaw
like Tamara said next time I dream some numbers I’ll let y’all know for the people who play lottery =))

As a fresh face, I really love the sorting form! It made me develop aspects of Angelia that I had not previously considered, and allowed me to build a more solid base for her than I initially had in place. Now I actually have ideas for where I want Evangelia to go :D . Thank you to the staff(?) for working hard to ensure the Sorting Process is fresh, exciting, and meaningful!

While reading the series, I always thought one of the major problems of sorting at Hogwarts was the fact that people change and develop as they get older. An 11-year-old Gryffindor could very well be a 17-year-old Slytherin, y'know? Just throwing out a random thought, but I wonder how much future potential is considered in tandem to current personality traits during sorting? ^_^

But back to the reason I was here, I am happy to see Evangelia in Slytherin. I think it will do wonders for her maturity, as I think that here she'll truly be able to cultivate her passion and excitement for life and orient it towards a more specific goal (but who really knows? Not me haha).

Last edited:
I'm honestly happy with what my characters were sorted in to be honest. I had a feeling that they were best fit for the houses they were sorted into.

While reading the series, I always thought one of the major problems of sorting at Hogwarts was the fact that people change and develop as they get older. An 11-year-old Gryffindor could very well be a 17-year-old Slytherin, y'know? Just throwing out a random thought, but I wonder how much future potential is considered in tandem to current personality traits during sorting? ^_^
In terms of HNZ sorting the staff can't take the future into consideration unless it's included in the form itself, but I imagine if a person did include their planned personality arc it would be taken into consideration!

As for characters changing though, that's honestly one of my favourite parts of HNZ. Because we RP the same characters for such a long span of time they do change as they grow up, sometimes substantially. There have been some notable characters over the year who have left Hogwarts as very different people to how they entered. Case study because he's my favourite ever, Daph's character @Tristan Collins entered Hogwarts as a pretty normal timid Hufflepuff new to the magical world, but over the years his experiences shaped him into a deeply cruel and manipulative person who... was still definitely a Hufflepuff, but the worst side possible to the house's core traits. There's an argument to be made that as an adult he would be sorted into Slytherin, but his negative behaviours grew out Hufflepuff, not Slytherin, so the roots are still tied to what made him a Hufflepuff. Because we have all this time living in the heads of characters who have been told at a formative age 'you have THESE TRAITS' there's a lot of space to play with how those traits do and don't manifest, and how having been told that for years would affect your image of yourself. (Neville growing into his bravery being the obvious example from the books)

Oops I rambled but I love characters changing over the years it's such a fun and fascinating subject

Hi, I was exciting waiting for answer which house Amara could be sorted, I wanted her in Ravenclaw, but when she was sorted in Hufflepuff I thought, why not? I really hope that this house ir the best for Amara.

Interesting talks over sorting. I agree fully with Rowan. Lots of mine students have changed over the year. I remember with Evelyn my first one I was so mad she wasn’t in Slytherin but after all I’m so happy she went to Gryffindor it suited just so good and she has changed so much from first year until her last. She turned out nicer than I first had in mind for her. Sometimes you just have an idea of how the person is but through roleplaying you just find out how they actually are. I personally love the sorting way, it’s personal and I like the suprises. With Lauren I never had thought she would be an Hufflepuff but this is actually like real life a bit. You can’t place people in boxes and I think that is beautiful. Always the thought that Slytherin has all the mean people, that’s not true at all. And you can be mean but have a good heart too for others. I’m glad there is no automatic sorting this is way more excited as well the waiting.

I'm happy with Penny being in Slytherin, I think the house will suit her as she gets older.

And now I want to sort another one! :wub:

I love Rowan house posts - you're as enthusiastic with deep dives as I am, I'm sure we could chat for hours based on house traits and sorting, though the only thing that really gets me sometimes is I think people tend to sort more on personality traits over values, which is what it was supposed to be about, and was why characters usually got put into the same houses as families. If you did the Weasley's based solely on personality for example, they'd have been in different houses than they were placed into - there's a lot of discourse on Percy Wealsey being a Slytherin vs a Gryffindor if based solely on traits, but then I think about how HNZ isn't the Hogwarts from the books and so it does make more sense to have them sorted a bit different to how the hat sorted those students. I dunno, it's just something I think about a lot.

I guess I can try to guess here.
My GuessActual
Toshiro AraiRight!
Grace BarosRight!
Collineus Cardosi IIWrong - Collineus Cardosi II
Corvus HenselWrong - Corvus Hensel
Peyton OrelRight!
Kirsten SnowWrong - Kirsten Snow
Lucifer StyxRight!
Jade WintersRight!
Inanna ZhefarovichRight!
So, this is the results! I got 66% right, which is better than none at all. So, this year, I have 1 lion, 3 badgers, 2 eagles, and 3 snakes. Not really a balance, but I wasn't hoping for any house, or shooting. I just love the outcomes!

I was shocked that Prudence was placed in Slytherin... which is actually quite humorous since I realize I put that as my preference for a close decision.

I really didn't expect to get it! I was imagining a Hufflepuff or a Ravenclaw with some interesting Slytherin potential.

I'm happy with Estella's placement, especially since my only Hufflepuff just graduated xD I feel like she could've been placed in Ravenclaw too, or even Slytherin, but Hufflepuff is my favourite so I'm happy and looking forward to see how she develops ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back