How is tea made?

Samantha Jacobs

55' grad 🎓 | biggest heart ❤️ olivander's asst.

OOC First Name
Maria
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
ren
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence Of Sphinx Remains
Okay, so I found this video on Facebook the other day, and I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on it. I posted this video on the videos thread as well but I wasn't sure if anyone had seen it. So I thought might as well make a new thread? But basically this American mum made 'English Tea' and I think its completely wrong! But what do you think?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loYRymELHx8

Ahaha, I'm not a tea drinker myself, but after moving to the US I was horrified to find this is the common way most Americans make tea. Kettles/Electric jugs aren't a very common household item so heating water in the microwave is pretty much how everyone does it. Though adding the milk in first is weird.. (as is the monumental amount of sugar but hey, to each their own??)

Ahaha, I'm not a tea drinker myself, but after moving to the US I was horrified to find this is the common way most Americans make tea. Kettles/Electric jugs aren't a very common household item so heating water in the microwave is pretty much how everyone does it. Though adding the milk in first is weird.. (as is the monumental amount of sugar but hey, to each their own??

Oh, yeah, i know that in America that Kettles/Jugs aren't the usual household item. I could defiantly get that. It was the milk that was put in between the water and tea bag that got me. I'm not a usual tea drinker myself either. I was slightly annoyed tho haha

I just showed this video to my husband (he is English) and he shrieked at the TV. Now to send to my MIL :teehee:

Update: As expected, my in-laws are very affronted by this video. I am rolling =))

Last edited:
I don't make tea like this.
Boil water in a pot. Put about 8 tea bags in for about 6 minutes. Pour into a pitcher. Add over a cup of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add cold water to the top. Stir again and place in fridge.
#southernsweettea
Also: I hate tea. I only make it for my mom so she allows someone who has no idea what she is doing to make her tea. Smart, yeah?

I should share this to my cousin's husband (English). Also, my cousin is Kelsey, if some of the much older members can remember her. :teehee:

Omg that is horrific. Absolute sacrilege and makes me feel physically uncomfortable
I think I need a cup of tea to recover from that video.

as a big tea drinker there are a few ways I make it depending on the situation

if making for myself I boil the kettle and put a bag on a cup. Or I put a couple of spoons of leaves into an infuser and put it in a cup. I then put the boiling water over the tea and let it brew for a few minutes. I then remove the tea as the milk (and honey if it is chai) and go on my sweet merry way.

if I am making for a group and we are all having the same tea I make a pot (if we are all having different tea or I can’t be bothered to make a pot I do the same as above just with multiple I boil the water add some of it to the tea pot and swish it around to warm the pot then discard it. You then add a large infused ball of tea leaves out enough teabags for one per person and one extra for the pot. Pot the water over the tea let it brew as above then pot to serve and add milk and honey as needed (I believe proper etiquette is add milk to the cups before tea to protect the cups from thermal shock however I come from the potteries where the tea is added first to prove that the China is good quality).

if I am at work I cheat a little as I don’t have time to keep going out the back to complete the three stage process to I boil the water put that over the tea add the milk and let it brew (on my desk) as them there is at leafy a chance I get some hot tea though it is usually cold by the time I get to it)

I'm much more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker, but in both, I just drink tea and coffee black. Tea I don't particularly enjoy adding milk or sugar so I drink it as is. Mostly it's earl grey but really anything that's got bergamot is a solid. I don't drink breakfast tea or builders tea because honestly it's gross.

I own a kettle, and I'm not even a huge tea drinker. It's bright red and one of my favorite kitchen items. I also don't own a microwave... xD I mostly drink tea when I'm feeling sick and only add milk to certain types of tea. But I also come from a family who owns one of those pots to make coffee on the stove. I don't know what they're called in English, but we call them grecas. I think my family just likes using special pots. :p

EDIT: Greca=cafetera= moka pot in English

Last edited:
now proper (in my opinion) hot chocolate is made with milk that is usually heated up in a microwave or (if you are doing it properly) on the stove, or the modern/fancy way with a milk steamer.

I always make hot chocolate with water and top it off with like coconut milk - it tastes great. I'm also like 95% guaranteed to vomit if i have straight hot chocolate with milk and nothing else, like I don't know why, I just have a poor reaction to it xD

I drink milk and boiling water :r

Edit: OK OK some context, I started this when I had braces because tea would stain the clear elastic bands. And I just still do it cus I like it =))

The video is extremely uncomfortable! My mind started tilting when she put the tea bag in the milk....🤯🤯🤯
I'm not usually a tea drinker, I just drink it when I get sick. Never really tried English Tea as here we just drink natural tea but making tea (in a normal way) and then add milk seems suspicious. Is that even good?

now proper (in my opinion) hot chocolate is made with milk that is usually heated up in a microwave or (if you are doing it properly) on the stove, or the modern/fancy way with a milk steamer.
This is highly true. Now I want a milk steamer for this purpose
And when our apartment isn't over 77 degrees indoors. :tut:

First of all that is not the way you make tea, the order was all wrong and confusing wow =))

But what I think confuses me most about all of this, is do most people in the states not own kettles? Like it messes with my mind to think for a lot people in the states there's no quick and easy way to boil water, and that's just normal?

Outside of making coffee/tea, boiling water quickly seems so essential for cooking, etc. Is there just no way to just press a button and a few short minutes later there's boiling water? How does anyone drink instant coffee? does everyone just own a coffee machine or one of those coffee pots Cyndi mentioned?? Is it normal to microwave water like that for most hot drinks? :o

People who live in the united states please explain because I am confusion x_x

Edit: I am aware that boiling water from scratch for cooking is an option, what confuses me is there seems to be no easier way for people in the states to boil water than from scratch!!

Last edited:
As an Asian living in the US we both have a bright red kettle (I think me and Cyn have the same) and a Keurig. My mum never microwave water for tea, she’ll freak out on you. She’ll even follow the instruction on the back of the individual packets xD

I can report that this American here owns a kettle pot to heat up on the stove. Growing up we had this kettle but it almost looks more like a pitcher to boil water on the stove. I can also say I don't put the milk in first but that's because I don't put any milk in at all. I find it waters down the taste of the tea, and yes I know that doesn't make much sense as tea is literally made of water xD I might reheat tea in the microwave if it's gone too cold :teehee: I would think most people own a coffee pot and maybe this woman did as well but did not think of it as a way to boil water xD But the fact it was for tiktok should give you a bit of a clue to this recipe xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back