Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Derek<3
Wand
Curved 10 Inch Rigid Rosewood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
7815804BFE63360BA4DD56F5C7813C3E199989DB

EUROVISION SONGCONTEST!
Yeah it's that time again! :party: I'm always very excited for the songcontest because I just like music and singing and I'm kind of a die hard fan of the Eurovision Songcontest. Even if I don't always agree with the winners.. but small detail okay! Thanks to Cyndi for her lovely idea to start an topic here it is! I'm curious who is gonna watch it this year and who your favorites are. In this topic we can all discuss everything about Eurovision Songcontest, from the clothes to the song.

My top 10 for now: (I find it hard the top four. I guess this will change after the first semi final)
[ul][li] France</LI>
[li] Sweden
[li] Belgium
[li] Estonia
[li] Cyprus
[li] Bulgaria
[li] Netherlands
[li] Australia
[li] Austria
<LI>[li] Denmark[/li][/ul]

I'll definitely be watching, but I'm not as serious as you are Jamie xD I haven't actually listened to any of the songs yet. I'll let it surprise me!

I don't really have high hopes for the Netherlands though :correct:

I have a question as someone who knows nothing about Eurovision. xD Who decides who gets to represent each country?

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:
I have a question as someone who knows nothing about Eurovision. xD Who decides who gets to represent each country?
That's different for every country. For the Netherlands people just say I want to go and than the organisation there decides if that can happen or not ( I think? Tamara help me out if I'm wrong) A lot of people from The Netherlands wanted OG3NE to go last year, and that happend. But in the most country's they host competetions and than a jury and people at home can vote and someone wins!

Daphne: Haha! I'm guessing Waylon had to bring Ilse along. I hope we will get to the finals. But Waylon already had lots of heads turning for the dancers. At least they are talking about him haha. I hope he will suprise us. But don't think Amsterdam 2019 will happen xD

Although this year my country's final was canceled as most contestants were disqualified and only one representative remained, usually it is the national broadcaster that announces an artistic committee that will evaluate the songs to be submitted for the country's final.

But this differs from country to country. Sweden for instance (where Eurovision is a huge thing), it has its own small Eurovision (Melodifestivalen) which is an annual music competition with semi-finals of around 12 to 32 contestants out of which the Eurovision representative is determined.

IReland I think has a competition which barely anyone follows

Alkander Avaskadiras said:
Although this year my country's final was canceled as most contestants were disqualified and only one representative remained, usually it is the national broadcaster that announces an artistic committee that will evaluate the songs to be submitted for the country's final.

But this differs from country to country. Sweden for instance (where Eurovision is a huge thing), it has its own small Eurovision (Melodifestivalen) which is an annual music competition with semi-finals of around 12 to 32 contestants out of which the Eurovision representative is determined.
What happend that all was canceled? Which country are you from by the way? :D

in Australia the broadcaster just announces the representative. no competitions or anything.
last year I was up early watching the competition at some ridiculous time in the morning (3 am or something like that) this year I might wait for the evening replay as my parents are visiting and they don't like Eurovision and my house is small and not good at hiding sound.

Eurovision is my favourite night of the year. I may end up on my own watching it this year, BUT, that won't stop me enjoying it. (I also have to go in completely blind) but I'm thinking Spain might finally pull a good one and win. Hoping for some good tunes and less ballads.

They might do an avicii tribute considering he helped write the modern Eurovision theme song.

In the UK for selecting the singer, it depends, I think they get asked/volunteer to do it, but tbh, i've never cared about it. I'm just expecting it to be rubbish

I always watch the UK coverage, because of Graham Norton, he's a national treasure in Ireladn :wub:
Why can't I spell Ireland today?

I always love Graham Norton his comments on the show. My friends and I are sometimes watching the show from his point of view.

Tonight the second semi final!! Can't wait! Who has watched the first one?

I think it's too bad Belgium didn't go through to the finals.

I didn't watch the first semi final but I think I'll watch this one :p

I don't watch the semis (because we aren't in them :r ) but I love the final.

James Cade said:
I don't watch the semis (because we aren't in them :r ) but I love the final.
Yeah wish we could have that luxuary :D Than cheer for us!!

I didn't dislike our song as much as I thought it would. I did hate the act though xD

im still trying to figure out why we're in it

hel34wQ.jpg

Not sure what you mean :r

But we are through!!! The Netherlands made it to the finals woehoee! Here is a happy Eurovision fan! :woot: :woot:

The netherlands song was so funny, just suddenly american country music style in amongst the rest.

I have to admit, I didn't particularly like the results, Cyprus were cheated, they had the better song.

Overall though I loved the show, there was such a variety of songs this year, I loved Denmark's song and Hungary. There were eurovision classics, heavy metal, ballads, some fun pop songs. I also really enjoyed Finland's song. That was catchy. France didn't do terribly this year which was nice, and the song was lovely. I find the disparity in the how the juries vote and how the public votes kinda hilarious and this still new manner of annoucing the points after they've done the juries is nerve racking as all hell.
Nadia Kaster said:
im still trying to figure out why we're in it
After the one off time during the 50th anniversary, the Eurovision heads decided to let them take part annually because they were really impressed with how they did, but they have to qualify. Where as the first time they got straight through to the final. Plus australia isn't allowed to host it in australia they'd have to pick a Euro tv zone country to have it in.
I also still LOVE that even the juries vote for their neighbours, like Greece and Cyprus. Also shout out to the lady from greece who made a la la land joke over a year late.

some of my favourite memes from the night: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdCKEArXcAAXZmS.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdCGR6HXUAA3M79.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdBx1p4X4AEwjBP.jpg - about the voting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back