Dueling: Reboot

Perseas Stratis said:
"You may only cast spells on items that are on the duelling platform."

Are there any items on or around the dueling platform that can utilized for extra creativity?

Can we use some (reasonable) objects that could be there? (like tables, chairs, armors etc)?
The platform is void of objects, initially.
There may be objects like tables and chairs in the room, but not on the platform. (Think movies for how this was set up.)
However, your opponent has robes and a wand and you can conjure things (like Draco did with a snake), so there's plenty of room for creativity.

Are students allowed to bring things up with them then? Like just stick some quills up their sleeves to turn into spoons or something.
As useless as that is it's just an example. :r

In addition, how does count a spell or a curse that normally is used offensive but in some way can be used defensively as well. For example, the Reductor Curse sounds like an offensive spell but I can already think a few instances where it could serve defensive purposes. In this case, could it count as a defensive spell like protego and the character can cast an offensive spell right after it in the same round?

And with spells aimed towards your own character (for example, Dexter using the featherlight spell on himself, or any spell aimed towards the caster by the caster for that matter) would that take an entire turn, or would your character also be able to shot an offensive spell at their opponent? Would it be considered a defensive spell if used on ones self an thus allow he character to aim a spell at their opponent also?

Dexter Lesley said:
And with spells aimed towards your own character (for example, Dexter using the featherlight spell on himself, or any spell aimed towards the caster by the caster for that matter) would that take an entire turn, or would your character also be able to shot an offensive spell at their opponent? Would it be considered a defensive spell if used on ones self an thus allow he character to aim a spell at their opponent also?
I believe it would count as either one, generally speaking, but in a duel, I think I would count it as defensive. So, then you are free to send an offensive one.
Perseas Stratis said:
In addition, how does count a spell or a curse that normally is used offensive but in some way can be used defensively as well. For example, the Reductor Curse sounds like an offensive spell but I can already think a few instances where it could serve defensive purposes. In this case, could it count as a defensive spell like protego and the character can cast an offensive spell right after it in the same round?
No, Reducto would be strictly offensive. So, if you use it defensively, you have taken your turn.
Esme Lancaster said:
Are students allowed to bring things up with them then? Like just stick some quills up their sleeves to turn into spoons or something.
I'm just going to make this easy and say no. XD

Esme Lancaster said:
OR WHY NOT A PISTOL?!

how do we know when a duel is over. it keeps saying when people are knocked out. but when does that occur? it is like with bluddgers in quidditch you get hit so many times and then have to die or is it when your points reach 0? If it was the latter then it would be the person most successful at casting spells who looses which seems backwards. (or in some cases power modding but that is an asside).

Lowan Kickett said:
how do we know when a duel is over. it keeps saying when people are knocked out. but when does that occur? it is like with bluddgers in quidditch you get hit so many times and then have to die or is it when your points reach 0? If it was the latter then it would be the person most successful at casting spells who looses which seems backwards. (or in some cases power modding but that is an asside).
It occurs when a spell like stupefy hits you, or you can't send spells anymore. Also, when your points hit zero, you are done.

ahh okay thank you Kaitlyn.

This right here is the current list. Bolded are in current matches, and mainly for my reference of the tournament.
[ol]
[li]Victoire Fontaine: Second Year</LI>
[li]Ellington Hayes
[li]Maya Corby: Second Year
[li]Ivaylo Zhefarovich-Dolohov: Second Year
[li]Lucien Snow: Second Year
[li]Francesca Grimm: Second Year
[li]Esme Lancaster: Second Year
[li]Joanna Dragonov: Second Year
[li]Belladonna Metzger: Third Year
[li]Skye Taylor: Third Year
[li]Lowan Kickett: Third Year - Winner of Match 2
[li]Graeme Fergusson: Third Year
[li]Mathew Cosgrove: Third Year
[li]Pandora Matthias: Third Year
[li]Vladimir Zhefarovich: Third Year
[li]Tomas Hayes: Third Year
[li]Lux Hamilton: Third Year
[li]Casey Daniels: Third Year
[li]Zechariah Powell: Third Year
[li]Dominque Grimm: Fourth Year
[li]Perseas Stratis: Fourth Year
[li]Rhiannon McGowan: Fourth Year
[li]Willow Jaye Hydran: Fourth Year
[li]Dexter Lesley: Fourth Year
[li]Aaren Nightray: Fifth Year
[li]Hanna Mitchelle Freecss: Fifth Year
[li]Sage Ottavi: Fifth Year
[li]Tybalt Archer: Sixth Year
[li]Kelsey Ariyah Boneheart: Sixth Year
[li]Rosie Reilly: Sixth Year
[li]Sergei Zhefarovich: Sixth Year
[li]Killua Freecss: Sixth Year
<LI>[li]Abel Smith: Sixth Year[/li][/ol]
Match 6 is between third years: Tomas Hayes versus Graeme Fergusson. The match is here.
Sorry Teigan. xD

[ol]
[li]Victoire Fontaine: Second Year</LI>
[li]Ellington Hayes: Second Year
[li]Maya Corby: Second Year
[li]Ivaylo Zhefarovich-Dolohov: Second Year
[li]Lucien Snow: Second Year - Winner of Match 1
[li]Francesca Grimm: Second Year
[li]Esme Lancaster: Second Year
[li]Joanna Dragonov: Second Year - Winner of Match 9
[li]Belladonna Metzger: Third Year
[li]Skye Taylor: Third Year
[li]Lowan Kickett: Third Year - Winner of Match 2
[li]Graeme Fergusson: Third Year
[li]Mathew Cosgrove: Third Year
[li]Pandora Matthias: Third Year
[li]Vladimir Zhefarovich: Third Year
[li]Tomas Hayes: Third Year - Winner of Match 6
[li]Lux Hamilton: Third Year
[li]Casey Daniels: Third Year
[li]Zechariah Powell: Third Year - Winner of Match 11
[li]Dominque Grimm: Fourth Year
[li]Perseas Stratis: Fourth Year - Winner of Match 3
[li]Rhiannon McGowan: Fourth Year
[li]Willow Jaye Hydran: Fourth Year
[li]Dexter Lesley: Fourth Year
[li]Aaren Nightray: Fifth Year
[li]Hanna Mitchelle Freecss: Fifth Year
[li]Sage Ottavi: Fifth Year - Winner of Match 4
[li]Tybalt Archer: Sixth Year
[li]Kelsey Ariyah Boneheart: Sixth Year
[li]Rosie Reilly: Sixth Year
[li]Sergei Zhefarovich: Sixth Year
[li]Killua Freecss: Sixth Year
<LI>[li]Abel Smith: Sixth Year - Winner of Match 12[/li][/ol]
Match 7 is between fourth years: Rhiannon McGowan versus Willow Jaye Hydran. The match is here.

Match 8 is for fifth years, the final match for that year: Sage Ottavi versus Hanna Mitchelle Freecss. The match is here.
Match 9 is for second years: Maya Corby versus Joanna Dragonov. The match is here.
Match 10 is for third years: Belladonna Metzger versus Vladimir Zhefarovich. The match is here.
Match 11 is for third years: Lux Hamilton versus Zechariah Powell. The match is here.
Match 12 is for sixth years: Kelsey Ariyah Boneheart versus Abel Smith. The match is here.

In case dueling rules are being revised, there should be a new rule about casting only protective spells for several, consecutive posts. It should be allowed for only two straight posts or something. After that you'll have to cast an offensive spell as well. I noticed that somewhere and as a reader I found it really monotonous. I can guess how irritating it can be for the other person roleplaying against that.

Minoas Stratis said:
In case dueling rules are being revised, there should be a new rule about casting only protective spells for several, consecutive posts. It should be allowed for only two straight posts or something. After that you'll have to cast an offensive spell as well. I noticed that somewhere and as a reader I found it really monotonous. I can guess how irritating it can be for the other person roleplaying against that.
We won't legislate fun, Liam. :tut:
Let the monotony continue!

I don't know about you, but I let my characters do what they like, if they want to continue making defensive choices then they can, and I also think its funny as hell and so it's not stop any time soon :r

I am quite enjoying reading them, I don't mind the peow defending I find it entertaining especially that one where she isn't fighting back heheheh :p

Can I maybe suggest that the time limit be 24 hrs instead of 12? And if not 24 maybe 16? Because I know we want it to be rapidfire and all, but it's not fair on people if they time out because of tthings like work or school commitments. For example Jesse who easily exceeds the time limit because he is often at work for long hours and the timezones really mess him up. Also whilst it's no problem for me now, being on holiday, I start back at uni next week and I'm going to have the same problem as Jesse unless I'm up at obscure hours...

Or if not that then maybe could individual duels have their own limit if both agree to it? I know it was a little hard for me yesterday and possibly most days to meet the 12 hour limit when I'm at work and have limited 3G and have to type the post out on my phone.

I had the same problem. I timed out because my opponent replied at something like 1am and I had a job interview the next day and couldn't get online until after 1pm so I lost the duel.

Whoops sorry Pat I didn't know there was a time limit. I only got to use my laptop at like 1am and I was too tired from work.

The issue I have with it is the thought of duels going days without a post, not giving others a chance to duel too, without a time limit. I head to work today, so let me give it some thought while I work on perhaps extending the time limit or leave it as is.

If it was twenty four hours it wouldn't go days without a post :lol:
Like in my case, if someone posted at 1am, I'd likely be asleep and not wake up for another six hours at the least, then immediately have to get ready and go to work for nine hours, so that's a whole fifteen hours I can't reply.

Even if it was something like seventeen or twenty hours, it'd make it a lot easier for people in completely different timezones or long work hours. D:

Lux Hamilton said:
Whoops sorry Pat I didn't know there was a time limit. I only got to use my laptop at like 1am and I was too tired from work.
It's alright, I didn't mind winning :r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back