Yule Ball Dance Lessons!

Theia held her breath, entirely from being nervous about dancing and especially by having to dance with a girl. She was thankful at least for the fact she wasn’t leading as she knew she would mess up regardless, but maybe if she was letting someone else lead her inability to dance wouldn’t be so terribly obvious. Theia shrugged slightly at Poppy’s influx that was almost a question, before looking over to Professor Castillo and Nurse Josephine. When it was their turn to follow the steps, Theia nodded at Poppy’s question of whether she wanted to try. She then moved to follow the steps that had been demonstrated, and yelped when she realized, she had accidentally stood on Poppy’s foot. “Ah, I’m sorry!” Theia exclaimed, suddenly stepping back so she didn’t step on Poppy’s other foot as well.​

@Poppy Perkins

Saira smiled awkwardly as he lead, they seemed to be doing alright so far, no one's foot was harmed... yet. The other students seemed to not be entirely comfortable either, which gave her, some sort of relief at least. "Not exactly, no." She replied, truthfully. She didn't want to but she did think she was getting used to it. "Sorry, um. I'm a horrible dancer." She said, when he leaned to the side. "Well, um.. I do think we are getting better, and it is a dance class, innit." She said, "So.. yes?" They were in the dance lesson after all, it would be a shame to waste the class just because she wasn't too interested in it.

@Nikko Blackwood

Angel had to admit he wasn't paying the most attention to the students. His eyes were drawn to Josephine, even when they didn't have the excuse of demonstrating for the class. He was doing his best to behave appropriately, and he was quietly grateful the kids were as well. The last thing he wanted was to have to break up any couples for being inappropriate, himself included.

He was getting tired of the quiet shuffling echoing around the hall, and once it seemed like everyone was at least passably competent with the basic steps, he decided to get things moving properly. "Alright, now that you mostly know what you're doing, let's actually try to do it to music," He announced to the class, stepping away from Josephine, though not far enough that he needed to let go of her hand. "A waltz follows a basic 4/4 time signature, so just simply a count of 1, 2, 3, 4," He said, reluctantly dropping Josephine's hand to clap to the basic beat. "So you want to step in time, 1, 2, 3, 4," He continued, stepping through the basic box step as he did to explain before flicking his wand, letting the sound of a metronome fill the room with the beat.

After the class had run through the steps with the basic count for a bit, Angel was content they could really get to dancing properly. "Alright, time for some music I'd say. Anything you can match that 4/4 beat to, you can dance to," He said, holding a hand out to Josephine and smiling at her. He flicked his wand again, letting the music finally fill the hall. "Go ahead and practice now, swap partners, whatever you need to get the hang of everything," He said. "Josephine- Nurse Arora and I will be around if you have questions." Angel hoped there weren't any more questions, but he would at least try to keep an eye on the class. For now though, he was happy to have another excuse to dance with her undisturbed, if only for a few minutes.

OOCOut of Character:
This is the last part of the lesson officially, so feel free to continue RPing as much as you'd like! If you'd like to interact with Angel or Josephine, please @ us.

Brooke had to give a genuine laugh when Lillith started singing something as they awkwardly stepped around the room. "Honestly, I think it's actually helping," She admitted, doing her best to copy the steps the teachers were demonstrating. "Have you done this before? You're already pretty good," She asked, noting Lillith seemed to have decent rhythm, or at least better than some of their classmates. Lillith's singing aside, it was a relief when the professor gave them actual music and a beat to follow, Brooke finding the steps coming much easier when she had a count to follow, though her footwork was still a bit messy. @Lillith Montgomery

Sully made a vague shrugging motion at Chloë’s return question, though it was somewhat hampered by their joined hands. He’d been thinking about asking Chloë anyway, and what better time than while they were practicing for it and stuff. “Yeah, sure. You wanna go with me?” He asked her, only half listening when Professor Castillo moved onto to talking about something else before music filled the hall. “Oh, that’s more like it,”He said, grinning with Chloë and not quite waiting for her answer before trying to move them a bit quicker along to the music. “You can't turn down moves like this, right?” Sully said with a grin, though inside his heart had sped up at the idea that Chloë just might. @Chloe Thompson

Chloë was about to think Sully hadn't meant going to the ball together when he shrugged, that perhaps he had just meant dancing together at the ball to show of their newly learned skills, but not actually going together. In that case she'd likely have to go on her own, again, which would definitely be a whole lot less fun. Her attention was completely taken away from the adults when he did ask her if she wanted to go with him but before she could even answer the sound of music filled the hall. Chloë laughed when Sully suddenly started to move along to the music, trying her best to keep up with the change of pace as they moved along. She chuckled again at what he said next. "Don't think I can, no." She responded with a little shake of her head, before quickly realizing she might now be the one who would have to be more specific before he'd interpret her words the wrong way. If that was even possible. "I mean I- yeah, I'd be happy to go with you." She smiled at him, although her mind wasn't even ready to process the question of whether this was like a friends thing or an actual date. @Solomon Tofilau

Lysander wasn't about to argue with Juniper, and instead tried to focus on what the professor was telling
Juniper attempted to follow Lysander, but as she predicted, she should have led the pair. "Mostly so I can say I know how. You? Trying to learn for a date?" she asked curiously, not really knowing much about Lysander's personal life. At the same time, she didn't know if she really cared to know. Most of her friends were in Ravenclaw, but her impressions of Gryffindor were kind of wrapped up by a few select students, Lysander included. As they continued to hobble around, the boy seemed to be confused but not really asking for help... until he did. Taken a little aback, she softened her tone from her usual abrasiveness. "Oh, umm, you start with your left," she said, attempting to guide for a moment as she still pursued the follower's step. "And then you'll step with your right, my left. Like a square?" she suggested, finding it a little amusing that she was trying to teach him how to dance. Juniper suddenly found Lysander a little more pleasant when they weren't trying to hit each other with spells or bludgers.

She paused when the man told them to start dancing to music and stared at Lysander, making a face. "Do you think you've got the step down?" she asked, unsure how well they would fare to an actual beat. She had only seen waltzes in 3/4 time so this was rather new to her. The only people she had ever danced with like this were her sisters, and it was more for fun than show.
@Lysander Summers

Poppy nodded back to Theia before taking a deep breath and biting her lip. She tried her best to be confident as she tried to lead Theia through the steps of the dance. She had hoped that it would come easily to her and she would somehow be able to intuit the motions but she was having no such luck. Poppy glanced away to watch some of the other pairs when she felt a sharp pain in her foot as Theia yelled her apology. She sucked in a sharp breath and winced before smiling reassuringly. “It’s ok.” she said quickly. “I’m surprised I didn’t step on you first.” Poppy added with a small laugh. “Do you want to try again?” she asked tentatively right before Professor Castillo put on some music. @Theia Carnahan

Nikko was focusing so hard on keeping the different steps clear in his head he struggled to listen to what his partner was saying, or anything else for that matter. “I think you’re doing pretty well.” he said with a small laugh. “Considering you have to deal with me leading. And I have no idea what I’m doing.” he offered sympathetically. They were fumbling through this together, which was nice. He knew Saira hadn’t wanted to do this at all and he was grateful she was sticking it out. It didn’t take too long for their movements to get slightly less awkward, just in time for Professor Castillo to turn on some music and Nikko found himself counting to four over and over in his head as he continued to focus on his feet. No toes had been harmed yet, and he wanted to keep it that way. @Saira Lykims

Theia wanted to stop dancing and give up right then and there, knowing she had accidentally stepped on Poppy’s foot. But the fact Poppy did not seem too bothered by it reassured her, if only slightly. Taking in a deep breath, Theia nodded to Poppy’s question of whether they should continue dancing and try again, and with the music playing Theia counted, looking at her feet and where she was stepping as she tried to follow Poppy’s lead. Theia tried to focus on following where Poppy was stepping and tried to step after her, focusing more on the technicalities of the dancing than the flow of the music. “I think I might get the hang of this, maybe.” Theia eventually said softly, knowing that if she kept counting and made sure she wasn’t standing on her dance partner’s feet she couldn’t be that terrible.​

@Poppy Perkins

Lysander nodded the affirmative as Juniper asked if he was learning to dance for a date, blushing lightly. It was a date, and he wasn't quite used to the idea. "Yup. Me and uh, me and Connor." He told her quickly. He wasn't sure if Connor expected them to dance fancily like they were doing now, but he was glad to be a little more prepared for it. He watched Juniper's feet, following her instructions. "Left, right, okay. Why are there so many shapes in dancing?" He laughed, mostly at himself. This was the second time someone had mentioned squares now, and he had to hope it stayed simple. He thought he had the hang of it, and as the music started he had to fight the urge to bop on the spot to the beat. There was no bopping in fancy dancing. Now that he'd gotten the steps down, he had the faintest memory of already doing them at some point in his childhood, lead around whilst stood on the tops of his dad's shoes. "Yeah yeah, I think I've got this." He responded, a little more confidently than he perhaps should have been. The music helped, he felt. It wasn't as fun to trot around in silence. Left, right, square. He had this. "Are you going? To the ball, I mean. Don't you make all your own clothes and stuff?" He asked, mostly focused on making sure he was headed in the right directions as he stepped around the dance floor.
@Juniper Zumwalt

Juniper was surprised to find out Lysander was going to the dance with Connor. From what she had seen of the two in class, they seemed a little like opposites, but then again, love was love (or infatuation). She continued to follow Lysander as he tried to lead but still wished she had been the one in charge. "Are you two like dating or something?" she asked in reference to his Yule Ball date, curious how many people her age were starting to fall into relationships. As they continued, Lysander seemed to be getting more confident, but she wasn't sure how much longer they had to go on like this. "I am, and I do," she added as they finished another square. "You looking for some fashion advice?" she asked jokingly.

Lysander almost tripped over his own feet as Juniper asked whether he was dating Connor. "Oh uh, I dunno. We're...we're dates." He shrugged his shoulders, more aware of the weight of Junipers hand on one of them as he did. Did it count as dating if you went as dates? Is that what dating was? He didn't really know how it was supposed to work, but everyone else seemed to have it all figured out now. He supposed he'd find out when they went. Connor was cute. Like, really cute, and they both liked a lot of the same things. And he had nice arms. "Do you have fashion advice?" He asked, realising now that if he really wanted to impress Connor, maybe he could do more than know how to dance. He didn't geti fashion. His dads did, but he liked wearing whatever and not worrying about it matching or looking good. He ruined a lot of his clothes in the outdoors anyway, so he'd never quite seen the point. Yule and Valentines were really the only time he ever dressed up.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back