Character Spotlight: April

Hey everyone!

It is the beginning of the month, so it is time once more to announce someone to spotlight. If some of you don't know, or are new to the site, the staff scout through biographies, looking to see who would serve as an inspiration to the board. We want to shine the light on none other than Chloe Thompson, role-played by Marijke! Let's all come around and congratulate her!

Come here to take a look at her biography, relationships, and last but not least, her aesthetics! I know that the last link there has to do with pinterest, but the fact that she went out of her way to make that, that alone is an amazing way to represent your character.

Also, check out her questionnaire!
What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
I felt a bit honoured to be honest. I'm always keen on reading the spotlights so to have Chloë picked for it was definitely exciting.

What was the inspiration for your character?
Honestly when I first created Chloë I didn't have a whole lot of her figured out yet. She was supposed to just be this smart, studious kid who didn't need anyone and was fine on her own. If anything I did not expect her to end up in Gryffindor at all. After that it has mostly been her house and the interactions she had with others that really inspired what she is like now and formed her character.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
Oh man I love pretty much all of them so it would be hard to pick. The saga where Lysander and her are looking for the eel has been a lot of fun

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
I like her determination and how she almost always tries to stay positive. Sure, she'll sulk and be disappointed for a little while every now and then (like when they lose another quidditch match) but it normally doesn't take too long for her to shake that off.

Your least favourite aspect?
I guess it's sort of the same. Finding a balance between being true to her character but trying to stay realistic as well. I like how she's so happy most of the time but it'd be weird if she never got nervous or upset.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
For sure! I think she'd be a lovely person to hang out and joke around with. I feel like I'd want to protect her when she's perfectly capable of that herself. She always gives me these 'looks like a cinnamon roll but could actually kill you' vibes.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
I dreaded this question because I have no idea. I've realized that usually I don't spend a lot of time thoroughly thinking about what a character would be like. I have this initial idea and start creating a bio around that but most of their real development happens when writing for them. They mostly resemble the first idea I had for them at their core but always end up being different in other aspects. I think for all of them I've had to go back to their bio after a while to edit their initial personality bits.

Your weakness?
Probably coming up with like backstories or bigger storylines for them. I feel like my characters often lack a bit depth. I'm always genuinely impressed with big dramatic plots or other serious things people on this site have their characters go through.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
I guess just focus on what you like? Try out new things, throw your characters into the deep end and situations that will make you have to explore their personalities further. (Perhaps I should take my own advice here). It might be obvious but creating a bio definitely helps keep tracks of them and their lives. I like working on bios but to each their own so make it as big or simple as you like, don't force yourself into creating a huge bio when it feels like something that has to be done rather than something you want to do.

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
So much! I'm still living for the yule ball topics but I'm keen to see all of the roleplay roulette slowly start appearing. Rose giving, more quidditch, IC superlatives, it's all exciting.

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
The openness of it all! I'm super impressed by the creativity everyone seems to possess. Not only in writing but also in things like coming up with characters and carefully thought out plots and stories and creating bios and gorgeous graphics.

So, again, give your round of applause to Marijke on her hard work on her Gryffindor prefect! Come join us in the spotlight chat where you can hound her with all the questions that were not asked here.

~ Kaitlyn
(On behalf of HNZ Site Staff)

Samantha Jacobs

6th year | heta social chair | vibez assistant

OOC First Name
Maria
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi ) ( Ren
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence Of Sphinx Remains
Ahh congrats Marijke!! 💕

Tilly Drage

Beater | Duelling Champion

OOC First Name
Amanda
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
12" Pear with Mermaid Scales
Congrats, Marijke! ^_^ I love the aesthetic :o

Elliot Briar

7th Year | King of Flowers | Puff Co-Captain |

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Demi (Alice)
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Yaay, congrats Marijke, I love Chloë :wub:

Asaiah Murphy

Impulsive | Macaws Beater

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Freya
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Rigid Cypress Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Eyyy, congrats Marijke!

Chloe Thompson

☆ 5th year ☆ Astrophile ☆ Chaser ☆ Bubbly

OOC First Name
Marijke
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Sully
Wand
Curly 14 1/2 Inch Flexible Larch Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Aaaah thanks guys!! :wub:

Kiara Wood

Sunshine | Artsy | Vibez Assistant

OOC First Name
Sophia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Demi
Yay! Congratulations Marijke! Chloe is really amazing, love her :creep:

Saira Lykims

Creative / Loyal / Plants

OOC First Name
Soho
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Knotted 13 1/2 Inch Sturdy Walnut Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Congrats Marijke!! :party: :party:

Charlotte Harper

International Confederation | Ambitious | Selfish

OOC First Name
Jamie
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Simon
Wand
Curved 13 Inch Swishy Yew Wand With a Veela Hair Core
Yeaaah well deserved. Congrats Marijk! You know I love Chloe :wub:

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼ollivanders asst🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Congratulations Marijke! Chloë is a darling & I always love seeing her in threads!!

I'm curious, does Chloë have any contact with the pureblood side of her family? Her bio makes it pretty clear she doesn't approve of their views about blood purity, and that most of them have cut Chloë and her mother out entirely, but is there any lingering connection there or has the contact been entirely severed?

(Also reading her bio made me realise she lives in my hometown aw yisss Dunners squad :wub: )

Elliot Briar

7th Year | King of Flowers | Puff Co-Captain |

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Demi (Alice)
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Iiii also have a Q. You mentioned you hadn't expected her to get into Gryffindor, so want house were you expecting? And can you think what about her has changed the most since her sorting?

Samuel Phillips

Part-Veela | Artist | Scrivenshafts Owner

OOC First Name
Anna
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 1/2" Flexible Cypress Wand with Veela Hair Core
Congrats!! Chloe is an awesome character :hug:

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
Congratulations on being spotlighted!

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Congratulations! I love Chloë!

Chloe Thompson

OOC First Name
Marijke
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Sully
Wand
Thanks all :wub:

Congratulations Marijke! Chloë is a darling & I always love seeing her in threads!!

I'm curious, does Chloë have any contact with the pureblood side of her family? Her bio makes it pretty clear she doesn't approve of their views about blood purity, and that most of them have cut Chloë and her mother out entirely, but is there any lingering connection there or has the contact been entirely severed?

(Also reading her bio made me realise she lives in my hometown aw yisss Dunners squad :wub: )

She has no contact whatsoever with that side of the family. She can count the times she saw her grandparents when she still lived in France on one hand and has never met the rest of her mother's family.

Iiii also have a Q. You mentioned you hadn't expected her to get into Gryffindor, so want house were you expecting? And can you think what about her has changed the most since her sorting?

With the vague idea I had in mind when filling out her sorting form I expected her to probably be a Ravenclaw or a even a Hufflepuff. She was supposed to be a bit of a quiet kid which she turned out not to be at all so I reckon that's what changed the most :r

Adorah Zumwalt

Content | Future Astronomer | 6th Year

OOC First Name
Kiersten
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi (Aisa)
Wand
Vine Wand 12 3/4" Dragon Heartstring Core
Congrats! I love Chloé so much :D

Question because I'm constantly obsessed with your aesthetics - how do go about making them? Do you have an idea and then search for certain things on pinterest or just wait until to see something that sparks inspiration?

Chloe Thompson

OOC First Name
Marijke
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Sully
Wand
Congrats! I love Chloé so much :D

Question because I'm constantly obsessed with your aesthetics - how do go about making them? Do you have an idea and then search for certain things on pinterest or just wait until to see something that sparks inspiration?

Aaah thank you :wub:

I don't know if there's much of a tactic but I really like them being focussed around specific colours. I usually look for a few things to do with their personality traits/hobbies/house/things that are significant for them matching the colour(s) I want and from there on out the 'more ideas' tab is my best friend. Also I'm a sucker for short quotes and text-posts because I feel like just a few words can say a lot about a character.

Users who are viewing this thread