Hogwarts Legacy

My stance is the same it's always been - anything that gives JK Rowling money or acclaim feeds into her hate campaign, and however good and fun a game might be it's not worth the damage she's doing.

I'm actually excited for the game, after seeing a wee bit of the gameplay - i am hoping to get my hands on it, though with all the controversy as well, especially with.... (I'm not gonna mention her name tbh), I am unsure. But I'm excited and happy to learn more about it hehe

Why they gotta push it back to February 2023? x_x Pre-purchase is going on rn on Steam with the Deluxe Edition being $10 more T_T with the only perks I can see that I would use is the 72 hour early access. Husband said I should just wait for the release .... anyone pre-purchasing?

I orginally pre-ordered the standard/original edition when they announced the release date, but when i found out that there was a deluxe edition, i cancelled my original pre-order and pre-ordered the deluxe edition instead...

it sucks its like $10 more but i get a discount for it cos I work at a video game store where they're selling it 🤭

At least you aren't me and simped for the collector's edition. My work (also a game store lmao) managed to have some for staff allocation so uuuh yeah. £280 babyyyyyy

Everybody are big mad about the PS4 and 5 exclusives =))

Everybody are big mad about the PS4 and 5 exclusives =))
And an exclusive mission for the $300 edition, too. :doh:
I think premium cosmetics or physical merch totally makes sense... exclusive game content is pretty annoying at such a premium!

image.png

AHHH its real

And an exclusive mission for the $300 edition, too. :doh:
I think premium cosmetics or physical merch totally makes sense... exclusive game content is pretty annoying at such a premium!
So true. I'm still waiting for the PC collectors edition price (we only have a gaming laptops and PC plus a switch but willing to buy a PS5 if anyone has them on sale).

They also better not have bugs if they keep pushing the release date.

Exclusive missions and whatnot have always been a thing in gaming, so I'm not really surprised that Avalanche and Sony have made a deal for exclusive missions and recipes. Everything has been showcased on a PS5 after all.

And a game will always have bugs, no matter how many months or years it's been worked on. I'm fully expecting this game to have a handful of bugs at launch as well, which will likely be patched out as they receive player feedback.

Y'all idk why in merlin's beard Tiktok algo puts me on this one particular guy. The game isn't even released yet and they're already thinking of unaliving the whole class xD

Can you give us some more context, Alex? I don't think I have any idea what you're referring to!

I said it earlier in this thread, but since this game is about to come out I want to reiterate and articulate my feelings more clearly, speaking as a transgender person who used to love Harry Potter enough that I got a damn tattoo. If it weren't for everything else I'm about to say, I would be frothing at the mouth for this game. This isn't intended as an attack on anyone in this thread, but this is a thread for expressing opinions, and these are my very strong opinions.

Hogwarts Legacy makes me feel actively unsafe. The hype around it makes me feel unsafe. The aggression people experience when they point out the problems with this game makes me feel unsafe. It may sound silly to say about a wizard game, but that's the reality. Bigots have chosen to rally around the HP franchise and JK Rowling because they know it's safe. They know people want to play a wizard game more than they want to protect the trans people in their lives. It's a safe community for them to hide in and find like-minded people, to gang up and harass trans people just trying to live our lives.

JK Rowling has spent years now rallying violently against the trans community. Calling trans women words I probably can't say on HNZ, calling trans men confused girls that have been led astray. She's pouring money and public support into groups that want my existence to be a crime. That's where those licensing fees are going. She may not be involved directly in the game's development, but it all still lines her pockets, and she's openly claimed she views people financially supporting her as support for her hateful, bigoted views. To her, every dollar is another person rallying behind her hate campaign.

All those problems aside - the game itself is stupendously antisemitic and glorifies slavery. They advertise that the player character has their own personal house elf slave like it's a good thing. The plot itself draws directly on blood libel accusations, furthering the portrayal of goblins in HP as antisemitic caricatures. The original lead developer had a far-right anti-feminist youtube channel dedicated to attacking women working in the gaming sphere, a channel he claims the company was fully aware of. This game is rotten to the core, and slapping a gender-neutral character creator on doesn't change anything.

If anyone wants sources on any of this or perspectives from other people directly affected, here are a few links. (Warning for strong language.)

(If nothing else, I strongly recommend watching the section beginning at 2 : 53 : 00. This is what matters.)

The Antisemitism of ‘Harry Potter’ Returns in ‘Hogwarts Legacy’

"Made the main plot a goblin uprising and included house-elves everywhere": Community reacts to J.K. Rowling and Hogwarts Legacy's problematic representations

And as a final note - if this post makes me the fun police, consider how little fun it is to see people prioritising a videogame over your safety. Real people are being harmed in real ways in the name of this game. And I want to reiterate the point I made at the start of this post - this is a thread for people's opinions and feelings about the game, and these are mine.

Last edited:
I've been playing this game for.. 9 hours so far! I've loved every moment spent with it - it's honestly everything I could have asked for in a Harry Potter game. Broom flight feels phenomenal and it's been so fun just exploring the countryside!

There's even a trans character - which is a good move from the devs to help seperate it more from Rolling.

I plan on buying it in the future. I have other games that will come first though, but it looks really fun to play. I just hope I can steer clear of the spoilers.

The gameplay looks neat but weighing it up I don't want to give Rowling money especially knowing she's deliberately putting it to such hateful use. Also I've got Fire Emblem Engage, Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, Octopath Traveler 2 & Like A Dragon: Ishin to play at the same time so something's gotta give. I may consider getting a used copy down the line. Good to know it plays well at least.

I might have bought the deluxe and have been playing since I woke up this morning (400am). There's a few glitches on PC but we all know we're getting an update patch anytime soon.

I have been playing since Tuesday evening and have clocked about 21 hours now and GOD I am in love with this game. Just getting to fly around Hogwarts and explore the castle is just so aaaaah I am in love. You can see the detail they've put in, adding bits not shown in the film and lovingly bringing it all to life. Also, do have to give them some props for character diversity in the game.

Sony have also released a limited edition dualsense controller which I may have.... also bought. It's just so pretty okay I couldn't resist.

I want to play this so badly but my laptop is too bad for games and I don't have an xbox or playstation or anything. I'm gonna wait for an moment as well to buy it. But I watch video's from other playing and it looks so good!

But I actually want to buy one.
EDIT: I bought an xbox :lol: and there is an sale when you bought one you get nice discount to Hogwarts Legacy so win win. Can't wait to play it, just couldn't get it out of my head. And gave myself an present. Also love playing games but this game really made me do this XD

Last edited:
I've been playing on PC, which has its share of bugs (mostly frame rate drops during cut scenes - it's a trip regularly being at 90+fps and then dropping to 17fps for a cutscene). There was also some psychedelic background trees during a troll attack once. :tut:

I've been playing since Tuesday but only had a couple of hours to put in with work and family and normal stuff... but then I tested positive for COVID - so I'm not at work and isolating from family. A shockingly good way to sink some hours into a game! xD

I think money is too difficult to come by when a lot of the things you need to purchase are 1-3k and you get 150 for the best items. :tut: But my biggest complaint is how they've handled the spells. Having only 4 spells accesible at a time, and not enough spell groupings to cover them all, is very annoying. Especially when there are specialty spells just for the room of requirement and beast-things. Have to recreate those sets every time because it's a waste to keep them always accessible.

Despite the above moaning, I am quite enjoying the game!

I love the game so much. I’m wondering if who you are playing with based on someone you created here? I made June for example. Planning on making more students and try out houses. But don’t know how many you can. I think I would like Gryffindor as the second option.

Also love to be able to see more of Hogwarts and for example the dorm of Slytherin girls and common room . Now I have more an vision to how it would look for inspiration here. And that with more rooms.

Last edited:
I watched a bit of the developer's twitch stream and they were talking about how hard it was to fit the number of beds into each common room area because the design for the castle and rooms within is 1:1. So they had to fit the common room and all the dorms into the amount of space that room takes within the castle...
And in almost any other game, that might impress me...
But it's Harry Potter? Magic is the whole point? Of course the dorms can be bigger on the inside than they take up on the outside?
I really couldn't believe they went to such pains and seemed to miss the reality of this universe entirely.

I'm also surprised by how many variations of the same quests there are based on your house, but then all leading to the same end result (getting whatever item, for instance).
Sometimes I'm not so sure that my dialogue choices are actually producing other results, so I may have to make another student to find out.

I completed the main storyline today and most of the sub storylines are finished or very nearly finished. Most of what I have left to do are the collection quests or all the puzzles everywhere.

Still really enjoying it, and hopeful about DLC sometime. (Quidditch DLC is being rumoured already.)

On another note, I retract my point about money above. I was probably frustrated because I went from having a lot of galleons to none in a very short period of time. Really there's not enough worth spending money on.
Though it is hilarious when you beat a big boss, pick up the loot they dropped, and it's 7 galleons...

Last edited:
Hello!! I spent just over a week playing the game, when i could! I’m almost done with the main storyline quest! 10 out of the 14 quests completed (i think) I am quite enjoying the game! It’s so fun doing the quests to gain the unforgivable curses hehe!

I don’t have many complaints about the game, as I am enjoying the game so much. Flying the hippogriff and on the brooms are so much fun! The only complaint i have is what nick said above, which is about not having much access to the spells as you can only use four spots at a time! Other than that, I am enjoying it a lot!

I am angry ... The game was the last straw for our desktop and just broke one of our drivers (it's so laggy now and the graphics are icky). I have to wait for my husband to buy new graphics and stuff :cry: I do play on our gaming laptop but on low quality (I thought it was game problem and waited for the update). For now, the game sits on our steam and thinking if I should ask for a refund, any thoughts?

$75 for the game and I can't play it with the intended graphics it should go with. (NO, console isn't an option as we don't even use our switch)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back