Last BOOK you read

The house in the cerulean Sea by TJ klune

A Silk Pair of Stockings by Kate Chopin (technically a short story but I'm counting it)

I am not your perfect Mexican daughter by Erika Sanchez. I finished it just days before they announced it's going to be a film and being directed by my pb. :D

The last book you read,
pride edition.
I have been listening to and reading quite a few books recently many with LGBT+ characters so I was saving them up for a pride edition post. so here we go.

I am combining the four books in this one
Simon vs the homosapians agenda (mlm)
the upside of unrequited (the main character is straight, but a lot of the plot is related to wlw)
Leah on the offbeat (bi)
love, Creekwood. (mix)

if you are a fan of the movie love, Simon you will know the characters in this series (other than the upside of unrequited) many characters appear throughout. book one is from simons perspective, a boy who is sending emails to a mysterious boy at school. add in blackmail, a school production and a dynamic group of friends
book two is sort of a stand-alone with a few brief encounters of people from the other books based from Abby's cousin's perspective. a girl and he twin sister and their moms. her sister gets a girlfriend and it is set around when gay marriage just becomes legal in the USA. add into that the girlfriends cute best friend and the dorky guy at work.
Leah on the offbeat is from leahs view a year after book one. see why Leah seems so angsty. who she is definitely not falling for (or maybe she is). and why she feels like she is living just one step out of time to everyone else as they heat towards prom and the end of high school.
and love Creekwood is a small one between the main characters of 1 and 3.
the books are not intense reading. but oh so cute. you couldn't help falling in love with blue in book one. and well if you want a sweet feel-good story then this series is good.
5/5 oreos

Ace, with lesbian, bisexual and non-binary characters
I have never read a love story I have related to so much. i read it in 24 hours (I literally couldn't put it down) i felt like I didn't breathe until it was done. then I made my mum read it straight after and she said that it made ger 'get' me a little bit easier.
18/5 shakespere acts

Ace, Trans, possibly a Bi/pan character i cant remember/
I wasn't expecting queer when I started reading this book. its premise was about children who come back from a fantasy world (think Alice returning from wonderland) but by the end of the first chapter, I learned that the main character is ace, and one of the other main characters is trans. the way it is done is good. it isn't the main part of the past, it isn't a love story, at least not beyond a love for a place. but it also feels like it is more than just a token queerness (at least the trans character, the ace does feel a little tokenish, and he is my favourite person in the book) but either way the premise is interesting and the plot pulls it together well. teenagers at a school for lost children. and they slowly start being killed horrific ways.
7/5 secret doorways

wlw
the story was unusual. an island where when people get older they slowly turn to stone. two sisters and a missing brother. and a stranger who claims she is a mermaid. it is sort of what people would call low key. but the writing was very lyrically done. some beautiful
4/5 released secrets.

I am still reading it about 1/4 of the way through. set in alternate past new Salem during the suffragette movement. we follow three sisters as they fight for rights and rites. one of the sisters appears to be wlw but it is too early to see how it is worked into the plot.

Last edited:
The Wives. It had such good potential during the first half and then...severely disappointed.

Now I'm reading The 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

wlw
the story was unusual. an island where when people get older they slowly turn to stone. two sisters and a missing brother. and a stranger who claims she is a mermaid. it is sort of what people would call low key. but the writing was very lyrically done. some beautiful
4/5 released secrets.
The Gloaming is great novel, I really enjoyed the writing

:r

I need to start reading again instead of watching YouTube before bed (I get thrown off by late night classes). I bought a bunch of books last time I was in Melbourne but I also got lent a book called Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention (thanks mum) so I should read that first...we'll see if I can defeat the irony.

(Although as someone who's been a speedreader since the age of like, 3, I'm offended at the suggestion it isn't legit, lol)

Edit: more likely I'll reread Jane Eyre instead, lol.

Last edited:
I'm reading The Hundred and One Dalmations because I found out it was written by Dodie Smith, who also wrote one of my favourite books ever, I Capture the Castle!!!
Well, and because I've never read it before :D

Deadly Education by Naomi Novak and its sequal immediatly after, The Last Graduate.

very good,
idk about second book ending tho

I'm very slowly reading Dracula via Dracula Daily - anyone else on this train? It's such a fun way to consume the story!

Deadly Education by Naomi Novak and its sequal immediatly after, The Last Graduate.

very good,
idk about second book ending tho
Ooh I want to read that. I enjoyed how her other books spinning silver and uprooted played with folk tales especially more Eastern European ones and still had their own stories.
I'm very slowly reading Dracula via Dracula Daily - anyone else on this train? It's such a fun way to consume the story!
Yes I am on the 🧛‍♂️ train too. Thank you for getting me into it. I agree a good way to read it.

the last book I read was graceling which h had recommended by about three different friends (from three friendship groups) I enjoyed it but it took me a while to get through.
I am currently re-reading Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin alire sáenz and listening to what if it’s us by Beckie albertalli and Adam silvera. Next up is either the second Aristotle and Dante or the house on the Carulian sea.

listening to what if it’s us by Beckie albertalli and Adam silvera.
Ohhh I read this earlier in the year and really didn't enjoy it :( I hope you get more out of it than I did!

I mostly found the main characters irritating in different ways, and didn't really feel any chemistry between them - it just didn't hit any of the points I look for in a romance.

I am trying to get back into reading more. I just have such a hard time focusing, but right now, I'm reading I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy.

I heard that's really good and I kinda wanna check it out sometime.

I ordered copies of Dogsbody and Fire & Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones - the former I haven't read but I am curious to, the latter because my original copy I bought by chance at like a year 6 book fair is 1. in Brisbane, 2. very well loved to the point of being worn out despite taking care of it and 3. one of the most formative books in my life. :lol:

I'm having more luck finding those than some other formative novels I'm looking for but we'll keep trying.

I finished The Silent Patient a few weeks ago. It was definitely a thriller, and I didn't see the plot twist coming until right as it was unfolding which was good fun.

I'm reading The Shining now.

I love books. but i am a painfully slow reader. (and i swear i am getting slower) so most of my "reading: is through audiobooks from the library.
unfortunately the last two i have listened to i have had to return half way through reading them.

one is in the life of puppets by TJ klune which had to be returned today at exactly 50% of the way through. thankfully i noticed the other library app also had it so i get it from them in a week. It is good but i am curious which direction it will go. so far is is not the same league as his other works.

The other is He Who Drowned the World by Shelly Parker Chan. which is a new release and I was very lucky to get it when i did. unfortunately, i only got part way through when i had to return it. and the wait is until January. the question is will i be quicker to buy the book and read the rest. probably, but it will be close (as i have a few more on myTBR list)

I am also reading The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow. which i have been reading for a while (I won't admit how long, especially as it isn't a big book) and am getting towards the end.

next on my list is probably Legends and Lattes. which I have recommended from a few places or the book i have reserved for hugos next book corner.

I mostly read non-fiction, so the last book I read was Shifting Grounds: Deep Histories of Tāmaki Makaurau. It's a really interesting book about the history of three areas of Auckland (aka Tāmaki Makaurau). If anyone here is into New Zealand history I thoroughly recommend it. It goes into the Ihumātoa Stonefields, the Domain near Auckland Museum, and Maungakiekie/Cornwall Park. It's really interesting to me mostly because I've grown up in Tāmaki Makaurau and one of the areas is somewhere I've been a lot! Reading about local history is a lot of fun, I'd recommend finding books about the history of where you grew up, or where you live, because it is really eye-opening and shifts your perspective in an awesome way. Anyway, sorry for the mini rant! Just a really good book lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back