I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine Porter

OOC First Name
Brandi
Wand
Straight 10 1/2 Inch Unyielding Ebony Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
I am very new to HNZ and haven't really RPed in ages... Soo I'm a bit lost on meeting other people and jumping in on other's RPs. Hopefully this is the right place for this post.

I've only got my one character, Katherine (Kat) Porter. First year Ravenclaw.

She is a half-blood who comes from a long line of purebloods on her father's side. She is the only heir to the Porter line, but her grandparents don't think she is fit to be heir. They did not approve of their son's marriage to a muggle woman.

Despite her grandparents' attitude, she was well loved by her parents growing up, along with her best friend Luna's family. Their fathers attended Hogwarts together and had been best friends, and thus their daughters became best friends in turn.

Kat grew up knowing the best of both worlds but would love to be a Potions Master some day. Her hobbies include flying and reading.

She is extremely shy and thus far has only met and befriended Davina Rollins and Audrey Luna Birch.

She spends most of her time with Luna, as they have been friends since they were born. But she has a hard time branching out from her friend because of her shyness and anxiety.

I'd be open for a couple friends (Casual or close) from other houses. Also open for bullies/enemies, with her being so shy and withdrawn she'd likely be a target.

I'm also extremely open to tips from anyone. Seriously, I need all the help I can get. It's been literally more than ten years since I roleplayed last. I'm really not super dead set on anything for her yet since she is only a first year.

Welcome to HNZ! I'd love to RP with you :)

I've got a few different first years, but the one Kat would be most likely to meet is Zoe Tsuji. Zoe's in Kat's house/year, and she's... a bit of an oddball. Very into conspiracy theories, cryptids and aliens and all that. She's pretty weird, but a good friend, and her loudness could be a good contrast to Kat's shyness? There's an open thread in the Ravenclaw girls dorm here, feel free to jump in and get to know some of Kat's roommates :)

I've also got Kauri Tipene, who's a second year now, and very keen to help first years acclimate to the castle. He's super friendly and helpful, and wants to be a good role model and help first years feel at home at Hogwarts. He could offer Kat a tour of the castle maybe?

Let me know what you think ^_^ and if you have any questions about the site or just wanna chat, feel free to drop me a PM!

Thank you for the warm welcome Rowan! ^_^ I'm just a little nervous about talking to new people on here, which is why I haven't really branched out on my own yet. I know I have no reason to be, but I am working to over come that! So thank you for responding to my post!

Zoe definitely sounds like a good friend for Kat, she is accustomed to weird with her friend Luna, I think she might be a bit skeptical at first but soon realize that Zoe is a good friend to have. I will definitely add a post to the dorm room.

As for Kauri would be nice to expand her relationships to Gryffindor house plus have an older student to look up to and to go to for advice.

So I'd definitely love for Kat to be able to get to know either of them.

No worries! I'm quite shy too, it took me a long time to start making friends on here, so I totally know where you're at :) There are tons of super friendly people on HNZ though, I'm sure you'll fit right in :hug:

Yay :D I'm glad she'd get along with Zoe! I'll keep an eye on the dorm thread :)

And that sounds perfect with Kauri! I can start a topic for them if you like, though it probably won't be til tomorrow, I've got a bit of a busy day this afternoon.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting more people! I'm lucky to already be good friends with Claire before coming here. So that helps a ton! :)

I'll get a post up either tonight or tomorrow in the dorm, and no worries about the topic for Kauri and Kat, I'll likely head to bed before too much longer anyway so tomorrow is perfect! I'm looking forward to it.

Hey! :D

I have a first year Hufflepuff named Nixon Mercury who could be friends with Kat! Nixon is super outgoing and social, always wanting to meet and make friends with new people. I definitely think he and Kat could get along, since he wouldn't mind the shyness and he would really like that she's interested in potions! Nixon's parents are astronomers both of the magical and muggle variety so he also has a bit of exposure to both worlds, which could be a thing they bond over? It might be familiarity for them to talk about it when they're away from their homes at Hogwarts!

Anyway bottom line is I think Kat and Nixon could definitely be friends, and I'd love to rp with you. Let me know what you think!

Hey there! ^_^

Nixon sounds like a great friend for Kat! They could definitely bond over being into both worlds. She is also super interested in Astronomy, she just doesn't know a lot about it yet, but is eager to learn more, so that would be another great bonding point for them.

I'd love to rp with you! I'm heading off to sleep now, but if you're around tomorrow, I'd be up for it! :D

For Kat, I can offer her Achlys Styx. Not sure if they'd hit it off, but she comes from a strong line of pure-bloods as well, mainly over in Europe. She is a first year as well.

Katherine Porter said:
Hey there! ^_^

Nixon sounds like a great friend for Kat! They could definitely bond over being into both worlds. She is also super interested in Astronomy, she just doesn't know a lot about it yet, but is eager to learn more, so that would be another great bonding point for them.

I'd love to rp with you! I'm heading off to sleep now, but if you're around tomorrow, I'd be up for it! :D
I will be around for a little bit tomorrow! :D

If you want I could start a thread when I'm free? Do you have any preferences to where I should post it?

Hello Brandy! Would love to plot with you and I've got some stuff for Kat.

I've got two firsties and both Slytherin. First I got:

Charlotte Harper: She is a clever mean girl that wants nothing more than be surrounded by people. She is very good at reading people and so she can easily find people's weak spots and their strengths. The fact that Kat is shy and quiet will notice Charlotte and she will be very kind to her to win her over and offers her to help her with stuff. Later on Charlotte will want something in return I guess. I think that we can do something with this. And it is a coincidence but Charlotte already got two ravenclaw girls who will follow her around and one slytherin. So Kat can join the rest and perhaps make a real friendship out of this thing. Charlotte will think and call them ''minions'' but she will not say it to those of who she thinks of. Let me know what you think of this and if you have skype we can discuss it more.

Liam Waldgrave : He is a big flirt and all I can offer is for him to try to impress other girls and be the charmer he is to them. In lessons or outside they can meet and he would love to have her attention. Since eleven is pretty young most of the girls would not really understand what he does and feels but he gets drawn like a magnet to the girls he can't help it. He will be very friendly to her and later on he will start to have female friends too.

Hi, welcome to HNZ!

I have my first year Frankie Tillington to offer to you - she's loud, spontaneous, and just sort of crashes around the place getting people involved in things whether they like it or not, so I feel like she'd be quite a shock to the system to Kat. (Her bio is here: http://hogwarts.nz/topic/30299844/1/ and her character development is here: http://hogwarts.nz/topic/30237235/1/ if you want to read more about her.)

I don't know whether they would end up being friends, or if Frankie would completely scare her off, but I think it'll be fun to rp them together and see. :)

Sorry everyone, I wasn't sure of the best way to organize a response to multiple people. Hopefully this works!
That'd be okay with me. If they don't hit it off it's fine too. It seems she will have a good amount of options. :)
That would be perfect, and I don't have any particular preference on where it's started. :D
Hmm, I don't really think that Kat would appreciate being a follower of sorts to Charlotte, but I wouldn't be opposed to discussing it further. I think that having her meet Liam would be good though. She only knows one other boy as of right now, and I'd like to broaden those horizons for her for the future. I do have skype if you'd like to add me. I'm bschim.
Hmm. I'm not really so sure that Kat would get along well with Frankie, but we can definitely give it a go if you'd like ^_^
Fantastic! I'm headed to the first years dorm after I post this and then to Kauri straight after.
Thanks for starting it!

Sweet! I'll start a thread when I'm free, and post the link here when it's up :D

Flavio Morales said:
Sweet! I'll start a thread when I'm free, and post the link here when it's up :D
Perfect! Thanks so much! I look forward to it :D

Aurora Night said:
Awesome, would you like to start it, if you're not already snowed under? :p Otherwise I can.
I've never actually started one yet to be honest. I'm not quite sure at the moment where to start. :unsure:

I likely won't have time until tomorrow to start it either. So if you want to start it that's fine, or if you just wanted to maybe give me a couple pointers or something on how to go about starting I could start it tomorrow. Either way is fine with me. :)

Starting is... well I don't know how everyone else does it, but I tend to just think of a reason for my character to be in the place where I'm starting the thread, then bash away at my keyboard until I have enough internal thought processes going on that constitutes looking like a proper reply xD
Each character tends to be different, too - characters like Frankie I'll often have her talk to the other person straight away and just pull them into the action, while my more introverted characters will be off in their own world, ready to be bumped into. If that's the case, I generally try to give them something to do that the other character could react to, to give them an entry to the action.
I have to dash off now (my weekend is stacked busy, I guarantee I would be starting a thread later than you, sorry!) but if you read a couple of starting posts of different threads, I think you'll soon get an idea of how it could be done, and then eventually you'll be a mess pro at starting threads like the rest of us! ^_^

I've definitely been trying to pay close attention to other peoples' starting posts. I think my main issue right now is that with Kat being so shy, it would be rather out of character for her to just go up and approach someone on her own. Well, I will do some thinking tomorrow then and see if I can figure something out! I'll post here if I think of something. :D

Also, thanks so much for the advice ^_^ I appreciate it very much, hope you have a good weekend!

Aurora Night said:
I have to dash off now (my weekend is stacked busy, I guarantee I would be starting a thread later than you, sorry!) but if you read a couple of starting posts of different threads, I think you'll soon get an idea of how it could be done, and then eventually you'll be a mess pro at starting threads like the rest of us! ^_^
D: My brain is just absolutely not working at all. I have been trying to think of something anything that Kat could be doing that would make her approachable by Frankie. But I'm coming up extremely dry. x_x

Professor Kalif Styx said:
I'll start ours once I get moved and whatnot. ^_^
Fantastic! Thank you so much, I look forward to it! :)

All good, just have Kat doing her normal thing, walking to the Great Hall for lunch or sitting in the library or anywhere you like, absolutely minding her own business and having such a lovely beautiful day (or an angsty internal conflict about whatever's going on their life right now, those seem to crop up more often than not :p ) and just have 'someone' bump into her - or be standing in her way that she needs to politely ask to move to continue on her way. That's all it'll take for Frankie to start talking to her, and for most other characters as well in the future.

Basically, a starting post is always what your character would be doing in whatever place it's set while they're by themselves, and its up to the second character to respond to that - don't fret too much about thinking that it should be done in a specific way. Just have Kat be Kat and it'll all tend to fall into place.

Aurora Night said:
Basically, a starting post is always what your character would be doing in whatever place it's set while they're by themselves, and its up to the second character to respond to that - don't fret too much about thinking that it should be done in a specific way. Just have Kat be Kat and it'll all tend to fall into place.
This is why I like starting xD

Aurora Night said:
All good, just have Kat doing her normal thing, walking to the Great Hall for lunch or sitting in the library or anywhere you like, absolutely minding her own business and having such a lovely beautiful day (or an angsty internal conflict about whatever's going on their life right now, those seem to crop up more often than not :p ) and just have 'someone' bump into her - or be standing in her way that she needs to politely ask to move to continue on her way. That's all it'll take for Frankie to start talking to her, and for most other characters as well in the future.

Oh! Okay that actually helped a lot and it makes a lot more sense now! :D Thank you! I should be able to start it soon, now that I have a better idea of what to do.
Professor Sloane Stark said:
This is why I like starting xD
Oh I see how it is... taking the easy way out? <_< Kidding! I just always feel like I have an easier time when someone else starts. I'll get the hang of it before too long though! ^_^
Okay I've got Frankie and Kat started here: x. Hopefully it's okay :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back