Doctor Who

I don't really know what to say about this weeks episode.

To be honest I was sure that I was going to be disappointed in it, though i'm not entirely sure as to why. I like the Doctor and I like Clara, but I though that the situations they were being put into were annoying. Every Doctor has been defined by the way they handle the Daleks and I think it was interesting to discover how Capaldi reacted to them. Neither Smith nor Tennant handled them with any difference and they both reacted badly to their presence, most of the original Doctors all reacted in much the same way, full of hatred and anger towards their species, something that always made me realise that the Doctor was no better then a human, as he was full of prejudice towards the giant pepper pots of doom. I do fear that the Daleks are being used far too often. Since the beginning, before the reboot, Daleks were a very scarce commodity and when they actually did show up they were the most horrifying things imaginable. Each Doctor only ever had one Dalek story, even Baker, the longest running Doctor, only had two Dalek stories. However since the reboot, the Daleks have often appeared three or four times and it is beginning to make them almost unscary, rather more of a big joke. The final episodes of the ninth Doctor played by Christopher Eccleston saw the Daleks in fearsomely good form, en masse and more horrid than ever. Even the Doctor was actually scared. However, these days, they have become just an annoying inclusion that makes me want to bash my head against a wall whenever they appear. It has gotten to the point where I honestly fear them running out of storylines, considering that all the appearances have basically had the same elements.

</COLOR></FONT>
I had initially thought, as many did, that this was going to be a rehash of the Eccleston episode "Dalek" which saw the first glimpse of Daleks in the shows reboot. So, of course, i was delighted to discover that not only was this episode not a rehash, it was an episode that managed to convince me that Peter Capaldi was more then definitely the right man for the job. The story at the start was a stranded Dalek in a room held by a small militia and the Doctor turns up. Here we go again, another rehash plus some added Inner Space for good measure, but then something strange happened and I'm laying the credit equally at the feet of Phil Ford and Peter Capaldi. The episode became about right and wrong, whilst the Dalek changed from radiated good back to pure evil the Doctor genuinely thought he was good and could help and ended showing Rusty (my Dalek collection now all have that name) that the Time Lord is more pure evil than the master race could ever be. Capaldi shone again, and I really think a drunk illiterate could write My Little Pony as an adventure and he could make it work, but Clara became the voice of sanity and the Doctor began to build the morals and guidelines that will define this era and for that I have huge admiration. We are yet to get a Talons of Weng Chiang, Blink, or The Doctor's Wife but I am now filled with hope that at some point this series it will click and Capaldi's crowning glory, the story that launches HIS Doctor and makes him MY Doctor is just around the corner.
<FONT font="verdana"><COLOR color="black">

Overall, i am definitely staying for the remainder. I can't wait for the Robin Hood episode next week.

I'm watching the unaired pilot for the original series of Doctor Who now... and plan to slowly make my way through old who.

It's a daunting task.

The Christmas special:
I think I liked it better when Clara was old and that was the end. It's a sad ending, sure, but sometimes that's how it goes with the Doctor's companions (Rose, Donna, Amy & Rory). I love Clara, have for a really long time, but I feel like development that was happening will just be undone to be redone the longer they have her on, like they did to Amy. The bittersweet would have been nice. I also was super intrigued by the girl in the dream world that woke up alone on Christmas and checked "forgive <whoever>" off her to-do list mostly filled with movies. I think she'd make an amazing companion. Even if Clara sticks around for a while, I hope they bring her in somehow too.

I'll probably be a week behind this whole season, but I was severely disappointed in the first episode. :(

I totally disagree.

I liked the Clara/Missy dynamic, but the episode just didn't work for me in some areas, it sort of undermined itself a little. I love Missy, not a fan of Clara though.

Clara seems to be a love/hate figure from what I've seen. Personally I like her but it is her last series so for those who aren't a fan they will soon be getting the change they've long wanted.

Oh no, just because I dislike a character doesn't mean I want to see them gone. I wouldn't watch anything if I loved all of the characters. I'm quite sad that she's leaving.

I'm curious to hear what people are thinking about the new season!

Nicolas King said:
I'm curious to hear what people are thinking about the new season!
So far I have only season Episode 1, but I enjoyed it. Bill seems quite nice and she's a solid companion, it'll be nice to have someone who won't swoon over the doctor constantly.

Will watch 2 and 3 this week sometime and get back to you. So far, so good, though. :)

I think it might be a little depressing that they had to make a character a lesbian to make her not swoon over the doctor.
If he's that irresistible, is even sexual orientation enough to stop people from falling for him?
How about they just finally learn how to write a female character who simply isn't romantically interested in him ever without forcing themselves to write competently by cheating. :tut:

I've watched all three so far, and I think it's starting to get to me a bit how every new companion/new doctor/new season feel like a reset entirely... so we have to spend five episodes setting things up and learning everything again in order to move forward. It makes the show highly accessible, but also very difficult to track with over a long period, I think.

How are you surprised, Nick? The only reason a woman isn't attracted to a man is because she's gay. Duh! Anyway lesbian character on TV so you know what comes next? She'll die. They always die.

I quite like Bill so far, and I think it's great to have a lesbian character for a change. Even if that means she'll die. The companions always leave in some tragic way anyway, right? Besides, Donna was straight and not romantically interested in him. It's just that Moffat isn't actually that good at writing; he resorts to tropes all the time and there's quite a lot of sexism in his writing. (Is it obvious how pleased I am he's leaving at the end of the season?)

I was really pleased with those references to POCs actually existing in period London, though.

Hayley Elridge said:
(Is it obvious how pleased I am he's leaving at the end of the season?)
I'm also very happy about this. I think he's not as clever as he fancies himself, and is a better writer than a showrunner. During his time being showrunner, the best episodes were the ones not written by him and the repercussions of which he successfully ignores as he drives the larger arcs of plot. (The Doctor's Wife remains one of my favourite episodes.)

Any continued thoughts on this season?
I'm an episode behind, because I'm saving stuff to watch during an upcoming trip, but by and large I'm pleasantly surprised.
Except the Missy thing I'm not sure I like. But the episodes themselves have generally been enjoyable and not rage inducing!

I am upset about the season finale. It should have been dramatic and exciting, but literally every line fell flat. I felt no emotion other than disappointment.

Ive greatly enjoyed this series, I really liked BIll and I must say I'm happy that Bill didn't die. Though she's also not technically alive, she didn't lose everything she gained just by being without the Doctor. I am slightly annoyed that they so easily plucked her out of cyberman world. That was a let down.

Hayley Elridge said:
I am upset about the season finale.
Oh shoot!
I didn't realize this past Saturday's was the finale!
I've been saving two episodes because I'm travelling and want stuff to occupy my time. Now I might have to bump Doctor Who back to the top of the watch list. :(
They always end too soon.

Sorry, Nick! I was trying so hard not to be spoiler-y, I didn't realise that was a thing people might not know.
I'm also glad Bill didn't die. I was wondering whether she would that whole time, because on the one hand they very rarely actually kill companions, but on the other hand Bury Your Gays. I quite liked the reincorporation from that earlier episode as a way to do that, although it would have felt more logical if they'd foreshadowed that a little more.

So, what do you fans think about the news?

I think I might start watching again :r

Amber Chou Wilson said:
I think I might start watching again :r
Thisss. When I heard, I was like, maybe I'll start watching again xD I haven't seen it in a while but this is awesome.

I genuinely don't care, and so the fact that everyybooddyyy is making such a big deal about it (for and against) makes it annoying to me. xD

I mean, they've obviously been working toward this. We had seasons of hints about time lords not regenerating as the same sex, and then we saw the Master do it, and now the Doctor is doing it. Whoppeeeeee~ I might have thought it was cool if it wasn't so obviously forced and they didn't bring us on a little pony ride to get everybody on board with it. Just do it if you want to do it, and don't spend years of the show just trying to prep people for it.

I'm not sure I agree. From the reactions I've seen online all this preparation still wasn't enough to make a lot of fans get on board, so it was probably necessary to get as many on board as there are now in the first place and it might never have been approved because of the negative reactions it would get. I've seen a statistic fly by on twitter that claimed the approval for a possible female Doctor went up from like 13 to 46 percent since the introduction of the female Master. Though I didn't look into anything to back that up or research it at all myself so take it with several grains of salt :r . But I'd say never underestimate the resistance to change some fans have xD (or the misogyny to be honest)

But I haven't seen the show myself for several years so I can't really judge how much it was forced. I'm just happy with the result regardless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back