🌕 Halloween Werewolf 2023 🐺

header01.png

Please do not sign up to this game if you're not going to be active on the board during play!

Cobwebs flutter in the flickering light from lanterns and candles as Hogwarts is plunged into a Halloween season that feels... just a little different to usual. The stairs creak under the weight of a new threat – a curse that has spread through the student body, turning some of them to monsters, and others into helpless prey. Can the students of Hogwarts ferret out the werewolves lurking in their midst, or will the Halloween season see the school turn to a bloodbath before the costume contest even begins?

TEAM STUDENT must find and eliminate all the werewolves in their midst to win
TEAM WEREWOLF must pick off all the delicious students around them to win.
headerrules.png

Signups will begin immediately and close at 10 am on October 31st, NZST

Once signups are closed, every player will be sent a PM with their role in the game and instructions on how to play that role.
At this point we will immediately begin the first Night Phase. Phases last approx. 24 hours, due to time zones across the board.

Night Phase
No players may post in the thread during night phase, as all students are asleep. During this time, players with night roles may PM me to perform their actions.

Day Phase
When day breaks, the results of the previous night's actions will be revealed. All players may discuss suspicions and accuse others of being werewolves. At the end of each day phase, the player with the most votes will be expelled by the students, for better or worse. Ties will be broken by RNG.

headerroles.png

Student - Their only goal is to survive, and vote out the werewolves around them!
Werewolf - By day they masquerade as regular students, but by night they prowl the school picking off their classmates one by one.
Seer - At night, the Seer uses their powers of prediction to discover the role of one of their classmates.
Fool - Although they fancy themselves a dab hand with the tarot deck and believe themselves a Seer, using their powers of prediction once a night to discover another player's role, the Fool unfortunately receives only random answers.
Prefect - Each night, the Prefect patrols the halls by one student's dorm and keeps them safe from harm, should the wolves come knocking. The Prefect may not guard the same person two nights in a row. If the Prefect chooses to guard a werewolf's dorm, they will be killed instead of the intended target.
Poltergeist – The first student killed by the werewolves will be so frustrated by their fate that they continue to haunt the game, communicating only through emojis and textless gifs. This player may not vote in expulsions, but can use their power to sow chaos around the school. This player may choose to assist whichever team they like, and may switch allegiances at any time.
-
Additional Werewolves - The school will begin with one werewolf, and more will flock to the feast at 8 players, 14 players, 18 players, and 21 players. They must all be eliminated in order for the students to win.
Head Student - At 9 players the Head Student will take control of the situation, working to bring order to the chaos sown by their classmates. The Head Student's vote will be counted twice during expulsions. This role comes with responsibility, so weigh your decisions carefully!
Lycanthrope – At 10 players, one student will start showing a certain kind of promise. Should the werewolves target this player, instead of dying they will be turned into a werewolf and switch teams.
Duelling Champion - At 12 players, the school duelling champion will enter the fray. Upon the Duelling Champion's demise, be it death by werewolf or expulsion by their classmates, their quick wand hand allows them to take one schoolmate with them, for better or worse.
Animagus – At 13 players, one student who's studied hard will gain the ability to take on animal form. Unfortunately, this means that during the night phase if targeted by a Seer, this player will show up as a werewolf, instead of a student.
Quidditch Captain – At 15 players, the captain of one of the Quidditch teams will choose one other player to be their teammate. Should either one of these players die, the other will die alongside them. Both players will be aware that they are teammates, but the Quidditch Captain will not be told their partner's role.
Apprentice Seer - At 19 players, the Seer takes an Apprentice under their wing. Should the Seer perish, the Apprentice Seer will step up to take their place. The Apprentice will not know their true role until the Seer's demise.
headernotes.png

During the day, please make it clear who you are are voting to expel, by bolding their name.
This game is played out of character, so only one account per person. It would be best to keep this account as the one you use for the whole game.
There should be no communicating about the game outside of the thread, other than night role PMs with me.
You may not, for any reason, show another player the PM containing your role. Lying about roles is permitted, using screenshots or direct quotes to prove you aren't is forbidden.

Special thanks goes to ElementalAlchemist from IF/ZB Support, who showed that this game could be played on a forum, has worked out a good number of kinks in it, gave us the code to generate game roles and (most graciously) let us copy his summary of each game role from his post in previous games verbatim. Many thanks!

Let the games begin!
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]
[/LIST]

Yeah because it’s been a nearly silent game and we have nothing to go on.

It’s not like you have ever gotten it right either considering YOU voted for me twice! In fact I’m the only one you’ve voted for.

I’m screwed no matter who I vote for since I’m out numbered. But I guess I’ll vote anyway and go with Amber Chou Wilson since you voted for me twice.

No, I know. It's been a tough game because it was so quiet and I am aware I only haven't gotten it wrong because I've only voted for you, but I just wanted to point out the comment because it felt a little odd.

I would have voted for you either way because I've just been suspicious of you from the start, honestly.

I mean I was going off Verity’s wording how she said “I can see see now that I've got this very, very wrong.” And how she is still wrong because I’m not the werewolf.

But also at this point I’m probably talking to a void since odds are you and Verity are the wolves unless Zacharias has been a silent wolf this whole time.

There’s no point to me switching my vote while still outnumbered but it is still HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS that Verity voted for me out of the blue. I don’t know why her attention suddenly shifted. Unless she knows I’m one of the only students left. And if Daph is also a wolf I’m screwed no matter what.

If Daph isn’t a wolf I only ask that she maybe switch her vote to Verity so it’s a three way tie and there’s at least a chance we get a wolf and I don’t die?

Edit: Also would I be this desperate if I was a wolf and had a partner? Again this is possibly falling on deaf ears lol

gameover.png

With so few voices left in the room, there was almost no hope left for the survivors, and it was almost a mercy that @Poppy Perkins was merely expelled, the last Student to leave the halls of Hogwarts alive. Finally, with grins full of far too many teeth, the Werewolves, @Amber Chou Wilson and @Morrie Ayre turned to descend on the last remaining Student, as @Zacharias Chase realised too late the consequences of his silence. As the moon rose on Halloween night, the wolves were the only ones to enjoy a feast.

THE WEREWOLVES WIN
Congratulations team Werewolf! Everyone is now free to discuss the game, I'll be back briefly with a full role table and some thoughts.

Sorry Kadi! That was a quiet game though which played in our favour, as well as getting lucky finding the special roles early on.

WOW this game has been interesting to follow from the outside. Here's a full table of roles, as well as the fake roles the Fool was getting. All roles were decided by RNG.

PlayerReal RoleFool Role
@Sky EriksenSeerStudent
@Professor Killian BorisyukFoolLycanthrope
@Stefan ArcherPrefectWerewolf
@Professor Cyndi KingsleyHead StudentWerewolf
@Demetrius WagnerLycanthropePrefect
@Amber Chou WilsonWerewolfStudent
@Morrie AyreWerewolfStudent
@Freya SongStudentSeer
@Lysander SummersStudentFool
@Zacharias ChaseStudentHead Student
@Poppy PerkinsStudentStudent

When I got Cyndi and Emzies as team wolf in the Fool roles I was so tempted to switch the lists but I am a Man Of Integrity and stuck to my original plan.

I think more than anything the thing I've learned from this game is that WOW a quiet day phase is a GIGANTIC advantage for the wolves. It makes it easy to say JUST ENOUGH to control the narrative without standing out for talking too much or too little. I was worried I'd put team wolf at a disadvantage by replacing one wolf with the lycanthrope but I did NOT need to be worried at all. (Their luck in the early game picking off all the special roles DEFINITELY helped a lot too - Mia's been playing along by herself asking to see people overnight and she figured out both wolves a couple of days ago, so things would be VERY different if she had still been around.)

Though it didn't wind up being much use, I really like the Poltergeist role and I think I'll keep it for future games I run. I've been killed first in games where there's no ghost role of any kind, and it's massively frustrating not getting any opportunity to engage with the game after waiting so long to play. I've played around with a few different ghost roles in other games I've run, and I think the Poltergeist is my favourite iteration so far. (Also means there's DEFINITELY at least one player stuck in gif town at all time, whereas when we played with the Sorceress role it depended on whether that person was actually using their power or not.)

Good game everyone, and congrats again Team Werewolf!!

Good game wolves! The time was tough for me because I work as the day was ending. It helped that day ended before I could change my vote to Kadi that first night because she was one of the more active folks and it was helpful to read her feedback, but it hurt the day before I died because I was trying to quickly vote for Daphne after I'd read Kadi's posts , but Rowan beat me to it and ended the day phase and then I died that nightxD
lso means there's DEFINITELY at least one player stuck in gif town at all time, whereas when we played with the Sorceress role it depended on whether that person was actually using their power or not.)
I remember being in a gif role one game, and it was soooo fun!

When I got Cyndi and Emzies as team wolf in the Fool roles
:o Did Kaitlyn ask about either of us??

Thanks for hosting, Rowan!

night one I looked at Jesse saw he was a student.
Day one died I was slightly relieved initially as it meant I would t have to read through lots of pages of discussion. Though as the game progressed at a slower more manageable pase that i wished i had been alive.
Night two I looked at cyndi - I had decided to look at her before I was killed. But had a suspicion that as it didn’t go to rng she was head student. I was right. This also confermed that I was the seer not the fool.
night three I looked at Kadi. And saw she was a student. By this time I was sure daph was a wolf. And had my bets that verity was the other one
Night four I looked at Zacharius because it made more sense to look at the one person I thought wasn’t a wolf than one of the two people I thought were

I had a weird feeling I was the lycanthrope! Man, I had a split gut feeling it was either Kadi (which it very much wasn't, sorry Kadi) or Verity but I voted Kadi in the end that last day for me. Didn't matter anyway 'cause Verity managed to sway Jesse against me. (Me: Let's not vote for inactive players Others: Okay let's vote for you Me: Wait not like that). Enjoyable first game here for me even though the students didn't win and I like to win xD Werewolves played a good game. Such good luck getting the special roles all out of the way. So sneaky too.

Crap this is getting really dire.
I was watching the game from afar, but I just had to point out that I saw Daph post this and thought of the direwolf role. But then I was like "why would a wolf reveal anything about them being a wolf?" And then I wondered that maybe it was just so quiet the wolves were bored :lol:

I was watching the game from afar, but I just had to point out that I saw Daph post this and thought of the direwolf role. But then I was like "why would a wolf reveal anything about them being a wolf?" And then I wondered that maybe it was just so quiet the wolves were bored :lol:
Haha the direwolf role wasn't a thing in this game and this wasn't a hint I promise xD

The time was tough for me because I work as the day was ending
The time was tough for me as well as it was right before bedtime for me haha, so I would go to sleep, go to work and not really have time to respond until the day was mostly over.

I wanted to play as a wolf really badly sometime and I am a little sad the game was so quiet, but it was still fun! Sry for eating you all but you were very tasty.

I'm going to go along with Jesse
This is the moment I knew Daph was probably a wolf :r :p

I panicked in my last vote because I’d just woken up and only had MINUTES to make a decision and there was practically nothing to go off of. As much as I made stabs in the dark I didn’t think it was Kadi in the end and Sarah was the only other one up on the chopping block with so little time left to vote D:

Losing all the special roles early in the game was rough.

I was playing tactically but it was so quiet that I couldn't tell if it was working or not, other than nobody was openly suspecting me. I did plant the suggestion Cyndi was head student without saying so and I was hoping someone else would call out her role for me, which is what happened (sorry Kadi). I then made sure that I didn't say Kadi was suspicious because otherwise I'd look suspicious for setting that up, in fact I went the other way to say she was innocent to make myself look innocent and genuinely trying to hunt wolves and win the game. Sorry to everyone, especially Kadi. Like what Daphne said, you were all delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back