Recommended Books & Book Discussion

Professor Nicolas King said:
Brian Getathorn XIX said:
Andromeda Fiorelli said:
Brian Getathorn XIX said:
Athene Perthro said:
the Northern Lights series (at chapter 14-15 of the Subtle Knife)
I'm sorry the Northern Lights Series? I believe it's called "His Dark Materials"

Which is based off of,

The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spy Glass
actually The Northern Lights was the original title of the book it was only changed after the movie was made. :)
I wiki'd it :D

The Series 'His Dark Materials', was originally called 'The Golden Compases'. (was changed)

The Golden Compass is the title for the American Version of The Northern Lights

Then theirs the Subtle Knife and Amber Spy Glass.

So Athene wasn't wrong, out of North America it is generally known as Northern Lights :p
No,

she said the Northern Lights Series, the Series is called 'His Dark Materials' It was once (Before Publication) known as The Golden Compases but that was changed, it is officially known as 'His Dark Materials' (Not that I'm trying to argue or say anything against her since I think she was simply mistaken)

The first Book is called The Northern Lights in lieu of the American version The Golden Compass.

The series following Northern Lights. :p

Yeah, it's only in America where they have to change book titles, apparently.
Sorcerer's Stone, much?

I read parts of Hamlet to my 3 year old sister last night. She was enjoying it (no seriously, she was).

Really need to read Heart Of Darkness for next term. But I keep getting distracted. I started re-reading Jane Eyre, yet again (the 20th time now?).

Heart of Darkness is good stuff, its the only book that I can honestly say that I'm ashamed that I didn't finish for school.

I'll have to admit that "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was a good play to read, too bad I missed thereading of the last act. <_<

Brian Getathorn XIX;

Years and years ago, before the third book came out, most people referred to the series as the Northern Lights Series, for exactly the same reasons as people refer to Stephanie Meyer's most popular series as the Twilight series.

I've been calling it that since I was 9. I'm sorry if I confused you.

Meahwile, I just finished rereading As Meat Loves Salt, my all time favorite book. Everyone should read it. It's excellent ^^

Ford Harkonnen said:
Heart of Darkness is good stuff, its the only book that I can honestly say that I'm ashamed that I didn't finish for school.
I didn't much like Heart of Darkness. Had to read it twice for school, grade 12 and 1st year English in University. :mellow:

Today I will start reading Twilight and see if I like it as much as everyone else does. :p

Well I did it, I went and bought myself Twilight and New Moon. Have decided I need to see what all the fuss is about. My friend who owns the book store gushed about them as well, so I have promised to be back for Eclipse and the new one when it comes out. Whether I like them or not, have to read the whole series!

Will let you know how I go, of course this means you mightened see me on HNZ for a while - and no one breathe a sigh of relief there! I'm listening :D :)

RAGE! All you need to know about Twilight is the vampires can go out in daylight and they sparkle, thus it making it totally unreadable.

(See signature for an appropriate visualization of response)

Fred McElroy said:
RAGE! All you need to know about Twilight is the vampires can go out in daylight and they sparkle, thus it making it totally unreadable.

That, and the girl has serious issues and is one of the most annoying book characters I've ever come across.

And I've come across some annoying characters in books.

Violet Bellamy said:
Fred McElroy said:

That, and the girl has serious issues and is one of the most annoying book characters I've ever come across.

You have no idea how much I agree. I'm not very fond of Bella. It's like the author made her slow and gave her a bit of a b1tchy personality just to contrast Edward. But really, she's not very bright at all.

Athene Perthro said:
Violet Bellamy said:
Fred McElroy said:

You have no idea how much I agree. I'm not very fond of Bella. It's like the author made her slow and gave her a bit of a b1tchy personality just to contrast Edward. But really, she's not very bright at all.
Nooooooooooooo, don't tell me this when I'm just starting to read the books. #-o :-SS

well I liked it!
it needs serious tweaking to be sure for the movie which I can't wait to see now but thought the plot was cool, she was seriously naff but not completely hopeless and he was just... your basic swoon vampire!
:D will start in on New Moon at the weekend!

Okay the book I read its called Wicked too.

But the authors are Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie.

I don't know if that the one you guys been talking about, but I don't think it is.
Its pretty scary book, Its also about witches and Warlock. I picked it out randomly from a book store. I finished reading it ages ago but now I'm crazy to get the next book.

I just re-read Prisoner of Azkaban. =D.

Its been a long time since I read Hp...I only own the last one. But I can

get the others ones at a bargan store for 4 bucks.

zomg, thread revival.

I'm still reading Possession, because I've been distracted with school, heh. But it's really really good.

Next book I will purchase is a history of the Brisbane exhibition (a.k.a. the Ekka), because I like books about history that are actually about things I'm interested in, like music and TV and the yearly show in my home city =P.

I'm also going to get Lady Chatterley's Lover, by D.H. Lawrence, because I feel I ought to read it mostly because, compared to my English Extension class, I'm fairly sheltered in my reading (excepting the good Christian girl who hasn't even read Harry Potter).

Wow, that was so incoherent.

I'm soooo Happy! My Books that I ordered almost a month ago finally came in.

One is my all time favorite book,

T.H. White's The Once and Future King, SUCH A GREAT BOOK/EPIC STORY!

the second I haven't read yet but looking forward to it, is

Michael Scott The Alchemyst {The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel}

I'm kinda wondering which one to read first, a Book I know is great and I love or one that I haven't read before. decisions decisions....

I'm strangely tempted to read Breaking Dawn, for the lulz.

I'm potentially re-reading Pride and Prejudice for my English Extension assignment. Wonderful book. My favourite Austen book is Sense and Sensibility, but Pride and Prejudice is wonderful too.

I must say, sense and sensibility is my favorite answer/clue to suggest when people are playing charades in my drama class. XDD

I almost have to read Breaking Dawn now. ^_^ I won't get to it for ages though.

I'm finding the Dune books pretty good, although I have to say the second two I've read aren't as compelling as the first one.

I haven't read a lot of books lately, but I can always come here and read everybody's suggestions :lol:

Okay, I read The Rachel Papers, by Martin Amis, was suitably impressed and disgusted (by the narrator, who is one of the most horrible characters I have ever come across).

I went and re-read Little Women, and I was going to read Good Wives (which I hadn't actually read - my copy of Little Women was published without Good Wives) and after skipping to the end (as you do), I was completely appalled and couldn't read any more. It has the worst ending, seriously.

I bought Gulliver's Travels, and also Atomised, by Michel Houellebecq. I'm really enjoying the latter. It's a really interesting book.

Atomised was great, except it was filled with, um, rather dubious scenes that wouldn't be suitable for under 18s.
(Me, I'm ruined already so it doesn't matter =P).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back