Estrella Drage

Obliviator for MACUSA | HNZ 1st Graduating Class

OOC First Name
Amanda
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Widow
So, I noticed there isn't a thread here about other books, and I was wondering if anyone had any books to recommend and/or discuss.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever read the Shannara books? I found them positively awesome.

Books I would recommend:

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer (yes, they're books geared towards children but they still rock!)
The DaVinci Code or similar stuff by Dan Brown

The thread is open for discussion of any book! :lol:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. REALLY long and sometimes the books get wordy, but the stories are AWESOME.

If you're into Sci-Fi I'd recommend Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card. And then if you like those read the Shadow series, which continues with Ender's Shadow. Game and Shadow are parallel novels, they take place at the same time but follow two different characters. So cool.

I think I'd recommend the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Pretty awesome.

Professor Nicolas King said:
And this is why you got nominated for useless posts. :p

Oh yeah, A Wrinkle in Time. And the Chronicles of Narnia. All easy reads there.

Kaela McIlvoy said:
Professor Nicolas King said:
And this is why you got nominated for useless posts. :p

Oh yeah, A Wrinkle in Time. And the Chronicles of Narnia. All easy reads there.
A wrinkle in time was a horrible film and a mediocre book.
Chronicles of Narnia kicked teh a$$es

nice topic Estrella.
Personnally hated the Artemis Fowl books, just couldn't get my head around them.
loved the Da Vinci code and His Dark Materials and so forth weren't bad at all.

At the moment I'm reading 'The Woman who Waited' by Andrei Makine.

Beautifully written book; back sleeve:

In a hamlet amid the austere beauty of northern Russia lives the woman who
waited, still expecting her lover to return from the Second world war after 30yrs. A young rebellious writer from Leningrad fascinated by her fruitless fidelity, seeks to unravel her secrets - but the closer he comes to her, the more she surprises him.

It is riveting and visually beautiful to read.

I actually just started these series books by Scott Westerfeld. The first book is called the Uglies. The second is called the Pretties. The third which is the one I just finished is called the Specials and the last one is called the Extras. Great series so far. Each book is about 400 pages not bad but I got all four books two days a go and I haven't been able to put them down (Actually reading chapter one of the fourth book as I type right now :p)

yep besides DaVinci code, HP and one or two others - haven't heard of any of them. but then again i read mostly classics.
have every Alexander Dumas book totally love his stuff, the black tulip, the man in the iron mask, count of monte cristo...
brilliant. :)

Storm Avainne said:
yep besides DaVinci code, HP and one or two others - haven't heard of any of them. but then again i read mostly classics.
have every Alexander Dumas book totally love his stuff, the black tulip, the man in the iron mask, count of monte cristo...
brilliant. :)
Classics?! :-0 High school taught me to hate most Classics. Expcet Candide and Les Miserables.

Whoa! This went fast.

Kaela, I have never read Ender's Game although I have always considered reading it. I wasn't too sure whether to delve into it or not, however.

I love Artemis Fowl :X they're kiddish but some of the best books out there in my opinion. lol

Narnia rocks, I'm working on finishing Voyage of the Dawn treader and then getting ot the last two. I want to know what happens in the end!

I read a Wrinkle in time in the eighth grade- I didn't care for that book, but that's just me.

Who's read Ella Enchanted? The movie was horrible for me, but the book was amazing.

tis after you leave school that you come to appreciate these things.
i was an exception to that though, totally loved Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion in school.
I was the literary geek... :-B and very proud of it. :D

there's a book about Elle Enchanted sweet. i did think the movie was so disney type of thing but except for P.S. I love you usually the books are way better than the movies.

Oooh. I was tempted to make a topic like this. I'm glad somebody else did. =P.

Being an English nerd, my favourite book is Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. <3
Other books I'd recommend are:
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (most awesome books EVER)
anything by Jane Austen
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
If On A Winter's Night A Traveller - Italo Calvino
Everything Is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer (quite rude, I'd recommend this for more mature readers. There are lots of, um, adult references. =P)

I'd like to think I'm well read, but I'm probably not. At any rate, I am rather pretentious. =P.

I'm currently reading Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky. =D.

geez the only thing i've read for the last 9 months is my text books for nursing school

though i'm taking a note of all these books (at least the ones i haven't read yet) so that i can hit the library once i graduate and read all of them

Estrella Drage said:
Whoa! This went fast.

Kaela, I have never read Ender's Game although I have always considered reading it. I wasn't too sure whether to delve into it or not, however.

I love Artemis Fowl :X they're kiddish but some of the best books out there in my opinion. lol

Narnia rocks, I'm working on finishing Voyage of the Dawn treader and then getting ot the last two. I want to know what happens in the end!

I read a Wrinkle in time in the eighth grade- I didn't care for that book, but that's just me.

Who's read Ella Enchanted? The movie was horrible for me, but the book was amazing.
Ok, I lied, I like a few more Classics than I realized.

I LOVE the Ender stuff, and the Shadow series. I wanted more Ender, but the sequels were so far advanced. I might try and read them now. But the Shadow Series gives me more on the same level Ender was.

I read A Wrinkle in Time in 7th grade and liked it. I dunno. I haven't read it since. Granted 7th grade was also the same year I first read Harry Potter.

Oh! I forgot! The Bloody Jack books are fantastic too.

oh read it years ago.. very heavy. have the Brothers Karamasov as well.
he is a total heavy read.

read the Kite runner and a thouand splendid suns recently - wonderfully written books.

the book thief is amazing as well.

Oh, also, I love books by Tamora Pierce and Diana Wynne Jones. =D.

i love the Tracy Chevalier books, the colours in them are amazing.

Isabelle Allende is good too. :D

Storm Avainne said:
i love the Tracy Chevalier books, the colours in them are amazing.

Isabelle Allende is good too. :D
Ooh, Isabel Allende? Have you read The House of the Spirits? I didn't mind that one.

Tamora Pierce was meh for me, although my friend's just absolutely loved them. I never got into the books.

And for whoever mentioned the Uglies series earlier, I know my sister read those books and she loved them, although I never had enough interest to pick it up.

And Kaela, I still love a lot of books from my childhood.. lol

Oh my gosh! I love Tamora Peirce! I've only read two of her books but once I read them I was hooked. Has anyone heard of Allison Croggon? She's got some good stuff. James Patterson is very good aswell. Erm, I definatley reccomend the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyers. Chronicles of Narnia, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Darren Shan Saga, Demonata series, anything by Jane Austen.

I would totally recommend all of Dan Browns books. They are amazingly good!

Let's see... where to begin?....

Okay The Hatchet, was an awesome book, of course so were it's sequels Brian's Winter and Brian's River.

John Grisham books are good, especially The Testament, very funny yet interesting to read as well. Tituba was a great book as well as the Once and Future King, His Dark Materials was already mentioned and it really is a good book (as long as your not a bible thumper!) Lord of the Rings were alright, kinda had to force myself to read them. any book about Norse Mythology would be good as well as Greek. Star Wars Knights: Darth Bane is good because of it's subtlety. Star Wars: Republic Commando series is also pretty good. Heroes: Saving Charlie, it's kinda the same as the episode but still fun to read. I'll add more later!

Here are some good books:

Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison
Fall on Your Knees - Ann Marie MacDonald
I Know This Much Is True - Wally Lamb
Confessions of a Shopaholic or any other book by Sophie Kinsella
Anything by Euripides, Menander, Aristophanes, or Sophocles
Anything by Gregory Maguire
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
I really liked the Great Gatsby, but I know a lot of people didn't :p Ohh and 1984 by George Orwell was good too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back