Recommended Books & Book Discussion

WAH! I just wrote a HUGE post reviewing all the books I've read recently and then my internet cut out :cry:

Anyway, books are by favourite thing in the world. (Don't tell my fiance!)

Currently reading Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder among others.

I fully recommend The Life of Pi and The Little Prince. Among others. Full list lost to cyberspace! :(

I recommend Vampire kisses the series is awsome

So much reading! I should have read Mary Barton, by Elizabeth Gaskell, which looks like a good book, but I'm going to pretend I did for the purposes of my 3 hours of lecture/tutorial on it today. :r:
Nearly finished Disgrace, by J.M. Coetzee, which is good but definately for older readers, and that's for my other 3 hours of lecture/tutorial today. -_-
Next I have to read Bleak House, by Charles ****ens. And I know I have to read a few books like Atonement and Life Of Pi soon, too.
God, I love English. Although 2 subjects is tricky. -_-

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin is an awsome book i loved it.

I've just started a series, the first book is called City of Masks.
I'm pretty sure the series is called Stravaganza, it's either that or Talia. One of the two ^_^
But yeah, they're good ^_^

One of the characters is called Arianna. ^_^

Ahh cant believe no one else has brought up three of my favorite authors

Marian Keyes - ahhh I absolutly love her books all of them!! shes awesome

Jodi Picoult - not as good but still love her books...

and for a touch of older books, my mother got got me ADDICTED to Sidney Sheldon he is an amazing author... my favorite book of his 'If tomorrow comes was awesome'!!! it was about a female con-artist.. highly recommended :D :D

And theres the Memory keepers daughter... very good book

mmkay, I haz read some goodly books lately.

Just finished Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. An entertaining and educational read. Like reading a whole book by your favourite columnist.

Also just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for the second time. It's the Philip K. **** novel that Bladerunner, the cult sci-fi movie is based on. I studied the film in my final year of high school - twas great - so easy to write about in exams. The book is way different than I remember, but better, in a way. The film is epic, and I'm not usually a sci-fi fan.

Another one I've just finished (seriously, these have all been in the past week) is Justine Larbalestier's Magic or Madness, the first in her trilogy about magic. It's really, really, really good! I can't wait to read the next one, Magic Lessons.

I'm still working on Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World. For something subtitled a novel about the history of philosophy, it's a surprisingly easy read. It does get a bit heavy at times, but really gets intriguing on page 283. The premise is basically a 14 year old Norwegian girl unknowingly embarks of a philosophy course, and it's really interesting.

Also reading some short stories by Narayan. Great author. I love Indian literature.

Oh, and I read Dolphin Music the other day. It's a short, simple read with deep themes, kind of 1984-ish, but not so dark and depressing. I was previewing it to teach to an ESOL class of 15 year-olds. I think they'll enjoy it, and the language is simple enough for them to understand, but rich enough that they won't get bored or feel like they're being talked-down to. I know for a fact that I could never write strong, 3d characters in such a short space, so any criticism I have of the book is just nit-picky.

In my own writing, I'm currently working on a based-on-a-true-story short novel, an epic fantasy tale and a few others. One in particular, I keep seeing that little girl who played Latika in Slumdog Millionaire as my main character (who is, as yet, unnamed).

Sure someone has mentioned it before, but I just finished Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series, and I absolutly loved it, I totally recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy

So there is now a book called Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
Same concept as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Saw it today and bought it. It's not quite as good as PPZ, but it's still pretty funny. =))
(I think the lack of ninjas might have something to do with it not being as good).

I finished, and quite enjoyed, The Great Gatsby - but I'm aware that very few share my like of that book... :lol:
'tis sad. :(

So I haven't read a good book since the summer when I read 'A Boy in Striped Pajamas' loved it by the way :wub:

So I went to the library yesterday (which has a very limited selection of decent books) because I spend a fair bit of time traveling and I like reading on the bus. So I got 'Tales of Beauty and Cruelty' by Kate Petty and Caroline Castle. It looked like the best out of a bad bunch.

But so far I'm totally in love with it. Basically it is a collection of Hans Christian Andersen's famous works; The Ugly Duckling, The Little Mermaid, The Emperors New Clothes, The Snow Queen, The Little Match Girl etc etc but with a modern day twist to them all.

So far I've only read, The Ugly Duckling, The Little Mermaid and The Nightingale, I'm currently on The Steadfast Tin Soldier. The book itself isn't that long and all it is a collection of small stories so it's easy to read and honestly doesn't take that long - and I'm a slow reader :lol:

So I totally recommend this for anyone you loves the classics or would like to get interested in them but doesn't like the out dated setting, or anyone just wanting a good read, it's totally worth it ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back