Olympics

Professor Elvera Le Fey

Seer, Mother of twins, Divination 3-4

OOC First Name
Mia
Wand
Oak 14 3/4" with an Essence of Raven Feather core.
the olympic opening ceremony is now airing and I am starting a discussion thread.
so what does everyone think of it.
please be warned there will be spoiler below.

to begin with I am finding it oddly nostalgic. I am english myself but haven't been there for yeas. I loved the country scene to begin with, then the industrial revaluation was spectacular. then JK Rowling read and the NHS scene was awesome with the huge Voldemort and Mary Poppins's.
and i admit i am singing along to the music (at least in my head) as I type this.

part of me wishes I was back in england to be part of the action, and not having to experience it only via the TV.

It doesn't air here till 7:30pm which is about 1 and a half hours away :( But I'm excited for it!

I missed it, but I will be watching it later.

Awh, me too <_< I blame our time zone. I was still probably rolling on my sheets while the people of London were having fun. :tut:

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo2_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo3_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo4_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo5_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ukpdmb0B1r2cq9vo6_500.jpg

Here's some pictures! I only focused on the part with Voldy/Mary Poppins.

I couldn't not put the lovely Rowan Atkinson in there. How can there be so much awesome in one opening ceremony?! For those who have seen it, what do you think?

These pictures were found on the huffington post website by the way.

Awh, it looks so cool!! Now, I will really have to watch the replay. The Voldy thingie looks really grand. They almost have the same features. Haha. And Rowan Atkinson looks very funny! Now, I really miss his Mr. Bean days. Oh well. Thanks for posting the pics Anna!

Harry Potter did not defeat Voldemort here it was Mary Poppins!

Great part, I am watching it now we're watching all the nations come in Palau just walked in.

the countries took so long to come in. the australian team were funny and partying and dancing as they waited (we got a lot of shots of them as i am in australia. but if you have got to P you are a good way through.

the flame was awesome how it was lit. the petals (i wont say much more only that it looked beautiful, and really original)

Haven't even gotten to my own country yet, curses for it starting with a U! Still have about an hour and twenty minutes of the whole ceremony left...

uep the u's are at the end then v,w,x,y,z and then UK (they get lucky last) then the flame arrives.

I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies, especially the beginning. Rowan Atkinson was great ^_^

It's finally almost time for team U.S.A. to come out.

I know what you mean by finally. 204 countries and they are one of the last (and one of the biggest). their uniform was really smart.

I like the uniforms too. There has been a bit of controversy about the fact that part of the uniform was made in China :p.

yeah they mentioned that. here they said that they remodelled it after that was discovered and was then remade in america

That would be a pretty quick turnover. Ah, team UK now. Love that the confetti is flying. Their entrance should be the largest.

Aphrodite Snow said:
I have goosebumps.
Just saying. :r
I had some too. :r
The games are going to be fantastic as always! I'm excited to watch everyone play. And the opening was damn funny. Atkinson was great!

Hmmm. If I weren't watching it with Livvy, Julie, and Courtney, I'd probably turn it off. I'm kind of bored with the opening ceremony.

The set's fantastic, Mr. Bean is awesome, and the music set isn't half bad. However, the show's all over the place and hard to follow. And I couldn't care less about the royal family. xD

Erik Drage said:
And I could care less about the royal family. xD
Could you care less?
That only means that you must care at least the smallest amount in order to be able to care some amount less. :r The only thing that doesn't mean is that you don't care at all. :tut:
Dear America... :r

I DVRed the opening ceremonies and will probably watch it sometime tomorrow. My silly mother is hogging the TV for watching Scarecrow & Mrs. King nonstop.

Nicolas King said:
Erik Drage said:
And I could care less about the royal family. xD
Could you care less?
That only means that you must care at least the smallest amount in order to be able to care some amount less. :r The only thing that doesn't mean is that you don't care at all. :tut:
Dear America... :r
I edited. It's laaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

The Queen will forgive you this time. :r

I loved the James Bond thing though, and Rowan Atkinson. (I thought the weird clown thing was terrifying! And the childcatcher!)

To be honest, I really wasn't at all impressed with the opening ceremony. I thought it was in a state of chaos for the majority and some of teh aspects had been done in the Beijing and Sydney Olympics. Not to mention my total confusion with the ending dance and the whole no elton john thing. I also had a hard time trying to fathom what Mary Poppins had to do with England, considering P. L. Travers is Australian born. Honestly most of the opening was copied from previous ones or had little significance to the nation. Though I did like Rowan Atkinson and the lighting of the "Cauldren" That was effective and quite good.

Elton John isn't the end all and be all if Great Britian (not England ;) anyway Paul McCartney is a lot more iconic thanks the Beatles) Also what doesn't Mary Poppins have to do with GB, the author may not be but Mary Poppins is one of the best loved literary characters in British history :tut:

And to clear up confusion, what did they copy as I never saw the opening ceremonys for Sydney or Beijing Olympics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back