Recommended Books & Book Discussion

Let's see... I haven't been able to read much but these are the few good ones I've read lately.

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer
The Last Juror by John Grisham

Artemis Fowl is kiddish but absolutely sweet. It's definitely for younger teens but I still love it. The Last Juror was pretty good too, especially if you're into crime/court case novels. I'm currently reading The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer.

Hehe, Roald Dhal's books are trippy. I love Matilda. Never read George Orwell though.

Dude, the next Artemis fowl is out? After the Lost Colony?!?! Seriously? How the heck did I not know?!?! GAh! The interwebs has failed me. -sulks-

And ya, it is childish but it's funneh and fun. ^_^

Professor Nicolas King said:
Dude, the next Artemis fowl is out? After the Lost Colony?!?! Seriously? How the heck did I not know?!?! GAh! The interwebs has failed me. -sulks-

And ya, it is childish but it's funneh and fun. ^_^
Dang straight! I didn't know you read them. I thought I was all alone. :r:

It's really good, you have to read it. ^_^ So I can talk with someone about it at least. :rofl:

I'm about to read Breakfast At Tiffany's, continuing my tradition of not being able to finish a book before moving on to another.

I actually went back to Lady Chatterley's Lover the other night. Man, that book is hardcore.

Violet Bellamy said:
I'm about to read Breakfast At Tiffany's, continuing my tradition of not being able to finish a book before moving on to another.

I actually went back to Lady Chatterley's Lover the other night. Man, that book is hardcore.

Hardcore in what way?

Hardcore in that it's got some pretty intense sex scenes... :r:

Violet Bellamy said:
Ah okay ^^ I only ask because I'm looking for some 'hardcore' books at the moment - nothing to do with hormones, but because I'm writing a sex scene in my novel. While I'm comfortable in my ability to write one, I think it'd be silly if I didn't read any beforehand. I've only read a handful of novels containing graphic sex, and none of them have been recent. Aaand, I can't quite go up to the local librarian and ask 'where can I find the erotica?' XD

Who's the author, do you remember?

Athene Perthro said:
Violet Bellamy said:
Ah okay ^^ I only ask because I'm looking for some 'hardcore' books at the moment - nothing to do with hormones, but because I'm writing a sex scene in my novel. While I'm comfortable in my ability to write one, I think it'd be silly if I didn't read any beforehand. I've only read a handful of novels containing graphic sex, and none of them have been recent. Aaand, I can't quite go up to the local librarian and ask 'where can I find the erotica?' XD

Ahh, I see. It's by D.H. Lawrence. It's pretty good. Intense, but quite a good read. (I feel dirty just saying that).

Violet Bellamy said:
Athene Perthro said:
Violet Bellamy said:

Ahh, I see. It's by D.H. Lawrence. It's pretty good. Intense, but quite a good read. (I feel dirty just saying that).
Ah yup, thanks! My all time favorite novel has some pretty graphic scenes in it, and is described as 'erotic', but it doesn't stop it from being the most stunning and powerful historical war novel that I've ever read. If the sex is important to the plot, I don't mind reading it. It's just when author's put it in for the sake of turning on the readers that it makes me uncomfortable.

On another note, I'm reading the leaked version of midnight sun, and it's not very interesting. Although I suppose it is only a third draft. But still. I was sort of hoping it might be a little better than the Twilight series. She should have written one from Jacob's or Emmets' point of view, seen as they were the only non-Sue main characters. Hum. You'd think, the anti-twilighter that I am, that I wouldn't even bother reading it '^^

Has anyone else read it?

Oh yeah, while I'm here I might as well recommend a book - the Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Has anyone read it?

I recommend :

(Some are classics because i've been reading classics lately for no reason at all )

The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles ****ens
Deja View by Lisa Armstrong
Oliver Twist by Charles ****ens
The Outsiders by S E Hinton

Iggie's House by Judy Blume
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume
It's Not the End of the World by Judy Blume
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume
Blubber by Judy Blume
Forever by Judy Blume
Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume
Superfudge by Judy Blume
Just as Long as We're Together by Judy Blume
Fudge-a-Mania by Judy Blume
Here's to You, Rachel Robinson by Judy Blume
Double Fudge by Judy Blume

I love her books :D

I'm half-reading the leaked copy of Midnight Sun - half in that I'm trying to see how far in to it I can get before clawing my eyeballs out. It's not particuarly brilliant.

I think the fact that I've already read this from Bella's perspective adds to it, you know?

I was trying to be nice. ;)

So, I'm going to have to take books with me to the beach. I guess I should take Lady Chatterley's Lover, Crime and Punishment, Catch-22, Tom Jones, Oscar and Lucinda and that book about The Cure because I think I've started all of them and haven't finished a single one of them.

I recommend, highly to all, The Zoo Story by Alfred Albee.
Wikipedia said:
This one-act play concerns two characters, Peter and Jerry. Peter is a middle-class publishing executive with a wife, two daughters, two cats and two parakeets who lives in ignorance of the world outside his married life while Jerry is an isolated and disheartened man who is very troubled. These men meet on a park bench in New York City's Central Park. Jerry is desperate to have a meaningful conversation with another human being. He intrudes on Peter’s peaceful state by interrogating him and forcing him to listen to stories from his life

I read it and loved it, so I read it again in the same day. It isn't wordy, or hard to read/understand, it's straight forward. It's funny. It's serious. It's depressing. It's dark. It's amazing.

Link to the full (one act) play online

That was awesome, Nick. ^_^

I FINALLY finished reading Lady Chatterley's Lover. Now I can set to diminishing that pile of half-started books.

Anyway, it was a pretty good book. I wouldn't say it was one of my absolute favourites, but I liked it well enough. The descriptions were pretty...graphic. I suppose it is a book about an affair...

OK how about, Travel and Tourism, Book One, 2nd Edition, 2007 Specifications by Ray Youell

^_^ I love it <_<

I finished Breakfast at Tiffany's last night. It was a really good book. I enjoyed it. And it was only 100 pages too, so not very long and the language isn't that complicated = it's easy to read.
I didn't expect to feel sorry for Holly but I actually did! :p

I want to recommend 'Searching for Alaska.'

Usually I don't enjoy stories about typical high school lives, but what I really liked about Searching for Alaska was the characters. They were interesting, unique and likable without being unrealistic.

The story is about a boy... who's name I just forgot. Damnit, how can I rave about the characters if I've forgotten all their names? D= Lets call him boy1 for now. Anyway, boy1 decided to go to this boarding school in search of 'the great perhaps,' which is something mentioned by a dead famous guy. This kid, a typical nerd 'nobody' from a small town, has this awesome little quirk in that he remembers famous people's 'last words,' is fascinated by them and often quotes them.

So, when he gets to the school he meets Alaska Young (the only character, it seems, who's name I can remember,) and Alaska is this tough, popular, smoking and alcohol drinking rebel. She - oh wait, I just remembered Boy1's name! Pudge. At least, that's the nickname his roommate (who's name, predictably, I can't remember,) gave him. Ironic, because he's really skinny. I like irony. So did he, apparently.

Anyway, Alaska meets Pudge. The three of them (later joined by a foreign girl, name escapes me, who Alaska tried to match-make with Pudge,) do all sorts of pranks, get caught smoking and drinking, etc. Basically, they become inseparable friends.

SPOILERS (for people who know they'll never read it but want to know how it ends.)

So, despite being a terrible example, Alaska really is a big sweety on the outside. She's always happy, always trying to make other people smile. But, in reality, she's trying to escape from 'her labyrinth.' Her mother died when she was young, and her father blames her for it. She's been suffering since then, I suppose. At the climax of the story, Pudge is in love with Alaska, and maybe Alaska was in love with Pudge too? We don't find out, because one night, on her mother's death anniversary, Alaska, Pudge and Pudge's roommate get drunk. The same night, Alaska drives out of school and straight into a police car. She dies, and the two boys blame themselves. They knew she was drunk, but let her go. It's heart breaking, because Alaska's last words were, after pulling back from her kiss with Pudge, something along the lines of 'until next time.'

Pudge and his friend spend the rest of the novel trying to work out whether Alaska committed suicide or whether it was a drunken accident. I don't think they ever decided, but they pulled a giant prank 'in memory of Alaska Young.'

It was ages ago that I read it (about three weeks, I think,) so I can't remember all the details, but of all the books that I've read in those three weeks, Searching for Alaska made the biggest impact. I was just thinking about it now because I'm stealing some of Alaska's personality and some aspects of her 'labyrinth' for one of my new roleplay characters ^^

Anyway, it's a good book. Not amazing, not an epic, but still good. I've bene having trouble finding good books lately =]

So I finished Catch-22. Very strange, but well worth it.

Zomg. Yesterday I read The Outsider (or L'Etranger) by Albert Camus, and I have to say, it's absolutely brilliant. It's deceptively simple in the writing, but it's a really powerful book, one that I believe is going to influence me greatly in years to come.
Definately worth reading. I highly recommend it.

...no. Just...no.

Well, personally I found the Inheritance Series - Eragon, for those who know it by that name, quite interesting. It fufills the whole concept of fantasy & adventure, and reminded me of Dragonriders of Pern.

I love the Inheritance Series! They are very well written and I absolutely loved Brisingr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back