• Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I havenā€™t started yet but I do want to get the Hufflepuff version of this, then I shall ā˜ŗ
I started reading it about two months ago though, because I got it in French, although I wonā€™t lie Iā€™m still on the first chapter =))
It was my grandad that got me into the series. He took me to see the first film at the cinema when I was 8 and then I read the first book immediately after! Heā€™s always been the type to get the books as soon as they came out and then let me borrow them :D

I have to start my reread though to be fair I had recently reread the book for my son so I still have a clear idea of the chapters lol

I found the books by happenchance at my library and read the first one while my brother read Lord of the Rings (I still think I chose the better book lol) fell in love with it and got the second one for Christmas as I was finishing up the third one so was able to start on it immediately.

For the secrecy thing, they did have little to celebrate for years and the magical community does like to show off when around each other so I think the ministry kinda suspected it would be a little crazy right afterwards. I remember the devices and was actually a bit surprised later when it was discovered Dumbledore actually invented them so I am curious as to what the planetary watch did too. Shame he didn't mass produce some of them... he a little hoarder!

I have just finished ā€œkapitel 1: drengen der ikke kunne slĆ„s ihjelā€ aka the boy who couldnā€™t be killed.
things I have learned be careful what version of the book you get
Harry Potter och de vises Sten is in Swedish
Harry Potter og de vises stein is in Norwegian
Harry Potter og de vises sten is in danish.
just two or three letters different between them all but different languages and to make things more complicated if you change the form on Amazon from audio to kindle it seems to also change language.

it is going to be an interesting read as I only understand about 60% of the words and a lot of the technical ones I donā€™t.
My other thought was who thought it would be safe to leave a one year old baby on someoneā€™s front doorstep overnight near the end of October. From my memory there is a fair chance that there can be snow near the end of October even if no snow it is fairly cold. Surely not the healthiest place to leave possibly the most famous baby ever. I can see the history books reading ā€œHarry Potter, the only person known to survive the killing curse. Unfortunately the toddler died the following day due to hypothermia.ā€

I've just finished listening to the first one on audiobook. Though its not like I won't read it again, since I voted for it.

I hear good things about the Harry Potter audiobook so think I have to give it a try one day. I've never been much of an audiobook fan though, which is why I haven't done it already. What did you think @James Cade?

I'm on to chapter three today. I love the description of Harry getting the letter. I remember getting letters as a kid and it was always the coolest thing when someone would write to me. You're used to seeing your guardians get mail so when you get some as a kid, it's like :o and add to that being poor Harry who is so neglected and he really must've felt special in that moment.

So, I thought I'd never heard "Tiptoe through the Tulips" but I have, just not the original. If you're interested, click here for the song Mr. Dursley was humming to himself a couple of days in to the letter onslaught. xD

So, I thought I'd never heard "Tiptoe through the Tulips" but I have, just not the original. If you're interested, click here for the song Mr. Dursley was humming to himself a couple of days in to the letter onslaught. xD
My mind is being blown left right and centre this evening..

Who do you think was sending the letters on repeat, like I get magic was involved but wouldn't it have been so much simpler for Dumbledore to just pop up or McGonagall? Maybe they secretly like messing with the Dursleys lol

I like to think there's some wizard working in the wizard post office, rigging up all these letters to the owls, mumbling irritably to himself about how he's not paid enough to keep doing this, he's been working overtime for the last five days, he wants a day off too, the name 'Hogwarts' is now a filthy word etc

I hear good things about the Harry Potter audiobook so think I have to give it a try one day. I've never been much of an audiobook fan though, which is why I haven't done it already. What did you think @James Cade?

I'm on to chapter three today. I love the description of Harry getting the letter. I remember getting letters as a kid and it was always the coolest thing when someone would write to me. You're used to seeing your guardians get mail so when you get some as a kid, it's like :o and add to that being poor Harry who is so neglected and he really must've felt special in that moment.

I really enjoyed it, I'm not much of an audio book fan either but I wanted to give it a try. I actually listened to it way back in the day when I was primary school so it was interesting to listen to it again so many years later. I always enjoy the descriptions of Hogwarts through the changing seasons, I really enjoyed hearing it read out loud.

I like to think there's some wizard working in the wizard post office, rigging up all these letters to the owls, mumbling irritably to himself about how he's not paid enough to keep doing this, he's been working overtime for the last five days, he wants a day off too, the name 'Hogwarts' is now a filthy word etc
I love this so much xD

Who do you think was sending the letters on repeat, like I get magic was involved but wouldn't it have been so much simpler for Dumbledore to just pop up or McGonagall? Maybe they secretly like messing with the Dursleys lol

I 100% agree, I definitely think they ended up just doing it to mess with them, even if it would have been way easier for them to just show up. :)
Maybe that's also why they sent Hagrid to collect Harry in the end?? Since a half-giant would have likely scared them far more than an elderly wizard/witch. ;)

I 100% agree, I definitely think they ended up just doing it to mess with them, even if it would have been way easier for them to just show up. :)
Maybe that's also why they sent Hagrid to collect Harry in the end?? Since a half-giant would have likely scared them far more than an elderly wizard/witch. ;)
Haha, yes. They were probably like 'you hate magic you say?'

And send in the giant they did! We finally see Hagrid as Chapter four begins! His outrage at Harry not having been told about magic always makes me chuckle. I don't know that any other character would have been that offended. It's so great.

There's so much foreshadowing in this chapter! Hagrid mentions Voldemort not daring to take the school while Dumbledore's in charge :( and that he may not have enough human in him to die. :o
Anyone notice any other fun foreshadowing I've not mentioned?

Such a fun chapter though. We get to see the Dursleys put in their place :party: , finally see The Letter :D , and see a bit of bad but really, really good magic. xD What's your favorite part of the chapter?

I...have a few chapters to catch up on =)) going to start listening to an audiobook or something tomorrow.

I also forgot to mention that Chapter three of the Pottermore re-read is up...and it's Eddie Redmayne reading the chapter! If anyone gives any of those chapters a listen, let us know what you think!

I got stuck in a meeting today that I did not need to be in, so I ended up finishing the book.
listen, dumbledore is just the worst. like he's such a manipulative little shite, like he comes across as like a quirky old man who doesn't have his marbles but that is very purposeful when you read it knowing where the story goes and what dumbledore is really like. honestly, I finished the book and was just muttering about how much I hated dumbledore in this read through. I just.....what on earth, harry's 11 in this book, and dumbledore's just testing out how he manages with stuff. Like the challenges to get to the stone are like OBVIOUS for each of the characters which. you could claim would need to be for like plot to move forward but STILL. Then there's the flute harry gets from hagrid at christmas, absolutely feck off with the idea that hagrid had that thought independently.

i had a lot of thoughts and feelings but they would be vented if I could punch dumbledore in the face but alas I cannot.

I got stuck in a meeting today that I did not need to be in, so I ended up finishing the book.
listen, dumbledore is just the worst. like he's such a manipulative little shite, like he comes across as like a quirky old man who doesn't have his marbles but that is very purposeful when you read it knowing where the story goes and what dumbledore is really like. honestly, I finished the book and was just muttering about how much I hated dumbledore in this read through. I just.....what on earth, harry's 11 in this book, and dumbledore's just testing out how he manages with stuff. Like the challenges to get to the stone are like OBVIOUS for each of the characters which. you could claim would need to be for like plot to move forward but STILL. Then there's the flute harry gets from hagrid at christmas, absolutely feck off with the idea that hagrid had that thought independently.

i had a lot of thoughts and feelings but they would be vented if I could punch dumbledore in the face but alas I cannot.
Wow that was kinda a big leap lol went from yay Hagrid showed up to F Dumbledore lol I think alot of Dumbledore's actions throughout the series shows deep psychological issues to be honest though...

I've started a bit late and have made it through chapter 2.

it makes me think of how much of the story you miss if you just watch the movies.

I have FINALLY ordered this (In Hufflepuff ofc :wub: ) So I can start tomorrow, yay!
So, quick confession time. I've only read this book once (Goes for most of the series, but I think GoF I never finished) and that was when I was about 8, so I'm looking forward to this! Ngl I will probably read it all in one sitting =))

Last edited:

He is rather manipulative, isn't he?

I forgot to pop on yesterday and post my thoughts on Diagon Alley!

Hagrid tells Harry he flew to him before they set off for Diagon Alley but he doesnā€™t seem to have a broom or any other apparatus with him. Did he use a thestral to get to Harry??? :o

I like all of the little tidbits Hagrid goces Harry about the wizarding world like this one- that the ministers main job is to keep muggles from learning about magic. Bet thatā€™s partly because of all the breaches 11 years ago :p
And the tease about quidditch. He throws out some details about it but not enough!

Harry seeing the magical world via the shop is one of my favorite parts of both the book and first movie. Itā€™s fun to see all of the shops and their wares. And Gringotts! I remember during one of my first reads that I read and re-read the Gringotts bit because I thought it was super cool that wizard banks used tracks to take people to their vaults.

Iā€™d forgotten that Hagrid bought Harry Hedwig as a present ( rip :cry: )

This is a fun chapter and we get a lot about a lot from it, from Harry's own exploring to Draco's thoughts to Hagrid's mini explanations.

I always forget about Harry and Draco's interaction in Madam Malkins. Draco's comment about Hufflepuff makes me want to punch him every time.

Also yeah Dumbledore, he's not only a terrible person he's a terrible Headmaster. Hey lets take this thing that a dangerous dark wizard is after out of the bank and hide it in my school and have a massive three headed dog guard it. What could possibly go wrong.

I have FINALLY ordered this (In Hufflepuff ofc :wub: ) So I can start tomorrow, yay!
I have the hufflepuff version as well xD I have a handmedown versions of each book from a coworker at my last job who just gave them all to me, but having a new book to read and my first official 'philosopher' copy rather than sorcerer makes me quite happy. The pages stick together slightly and I've been wearing my husband's wizards hat he got as his keepsake from the wizardry world at universal since sitting and readying with my hufflepuff backpack wouldn't be quite as comfortable xD I'm hoping to make a cup of tea and catch up to Cyndi today!

Comment on the book time: It's interesting that reading as a kid you wouldn't really pick up on Dumbledore, he is written that comes off in a caring way(thinking back to chapter one dropping harry off and the twinkle usually in his eye was gone). But of course he was rather old in the series and saw many things in life that probably skewed what is right and wrong in his mind. And I really question his screening process for Professors. I mean he just asked mad-eye to teach, but there wasn't some sort of magical screening thing when mad eye got there couldn't saved a whole book's worth of trouble if dumbledore was more safe and less..wacky xD or how do you not noticed the dark lord's presence in your magical school? xD

Also the whole idea of putting Harry with the Dursleys was to hide him from knowing he was famous, and yet when Harry describes people that stop or hug him in the street, he even mentions that Dumbledore once stopped to shake his hand. Dumbledore, what ya doing! You is confusing the boy!

Also the whole idea of putting Harry with the Dursleys was to hide him from knowing he was famous, and yet when Harry describes people that stop or hug him in the street, he even mentions that Dumbledore once stopped to shake his hand. Dumbledore, what ya doing! You is confusing the boy!
I'm pretty sure that wasn't Dumbledore but... someone else from the order? I don't remember it being Dumbledore that stopped to shake his hand šŸ¤”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back