Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
We're back!

Well, you dedicated HNZers and RPers, we're back from that long long break, and we're so glad to be home again back online with you. It took a little while longer than we'd hoped, but we can now fill you in on exactly what happened and what's happening next!

What happened to ZetaBoards?
ZetaBoards was acquired by Tapatalk in 2017. Initially, this came with the promise of increased resources to improve forum stability, add new features, etc. While the sale was a surprise and many on the support staff were sceptical, it was viewed with some optimism that we would see updates to ZetaBoards again that we hadn't seen in years. This optimism quickly waned as, over the next year, there were no new updates.
Instead, this year it was announced that ZetaBoards would be merged with Tapatalk into their forum software contrary to what we had initially been told. This was a disappointment to me and the other support staff, and alarming as many key features that ZetaBoards offered us did not exist on Tapatalk and, while Tapatalk promised to "grandfather" some of these features back in and has been rapidly adding features, we realized our time to move had come.

Where are we now?
We've moved HNZ out of the Tapatalk ecosystem on to a forum software called Xenforo. Based on our research, Xenforo seemed to provide the most comparable experience to what you knew on ZetaBoards (including having BBCode be available, something other softwares have moved away from) while also being a thoroughly modern forum software, adding many new features that we didn't have before, and which will allow us to integrate many of HNZ's old systems back into it as we go.

Moving was important for us to secure the future of HNZ, apart from companies like ZetaBoards and Tapatalk. We now host all our own content, own the license to the software we're using, and have the freedom to make key changes all on our own.

What does this mean for you?
Hopefully, as little as possible. We've done a lot of the ground work to keep the site up and running, and you can read some of the basics of the changes in this FAQ topic.
This transition will still take time, and we're not completely on our feet yet - so it requires your patience, too. If you see something that isn't working how it should, you can mention it in the Xenforo FAQ topic. If you have a question about something, that can go in the FAQ topic, too!
It's also more costly to be hosting ourselves out here on the web how we are now - so from time to time we may ask for donations to keep the site going, but for now the bottom line is:
We want you to hop back into roleplaying and plotting and chatting as soon as possible!

Thanks for your commitment to HNZ over all these years, and let's make a good run of this new thing together!

Yours,

Nick & the whole HNZ Staff Team

As someone who has known about the Tapatalk situation for a while, it has been a bit stressful to wonder what would happen to the site. But I'm very happy you guys managed to turn this forced change into something so positive for the site. I look forward to discovering the new HNZ and the many new and exciting things to explore. Thank you for the update!

Yay! So glad to be back online! Have fun exploring!

It's such a relief to see all the posts back where we left them, even if the site around them is different :wub: I've been quietly worrying about the Tapatalk situation for a while too so it's a huge relief seeing the new site. Thanks so much guys for all your hard work! :hug:

Thanks for your hard work! I just logged in and saw the new features and I am sure I'll get used to it soon enough! :wub: It's good to know hnz has changed forum for the better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back