Kagyou's Image Editing Tips & Tuts

What Graphic Editing Platform do you use?

• Adobe Photoshop 7/CS2/CS3/CS4/etcetcetc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Photoscope

• GIMP

• Serif PhotoPlus

• Paint .NET

• Paint

• Pixia

• PhotoFiltre

• Others (Post, please.)

• Total voters

Kagyou Wu

Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Hey hey, I see we have some graphics editors or ya'know, some people who would like to do image editing or banners and stuff.

SOOO. I'd like to see who uses what platform, cuz, personally, I use Photoshop 7.0 :D
So. :3 Vote and let me know plox.

You can use more than one

UPDATES

Buh, my bump post went missing ._. *damn this is going to look a bit messy.*

+ 16FEB08
Added Tips.

+13FEB08
"But my eyes are white!"
How to change eye colour Tut. (Photoshop.)

+ 12FEB08
In any case, those who want to learn Photoshop, I think, I'd be posting up a few tips first. : D
Somethings simple, somethings ya'll might know. But it's always good to start with basics.

TIPS

1. DO NOT USE PIXEL-ATED IMAGES.
If you're gonna do this properly, do this properly. Don't use some half-hearted, second-hand image thingieamaggie. Get a nice one (High quality if possible). If it's HUGE and SLIIIGHTLY pixelated, that's still okay. Cuz when you downsize it, at least it still look presentable.

2.Since we're doing banners and avatars, MAKE SURE TO HAVE A CENTER PIECE (Aka. The character)
I mean, its fine to give all images a nice attention spot, but seriously, if its the same person, you just need one nice center piece and SOME to compliment it.

3. When you edit images, make sure they end up silk smooth. Not pixilated (as you noticed, I can't spell this word.).
Images are like women. They like to be pretty. What's the point of going for a nose job if its going to look exactly the same?

4. Avoid. HUGE. UNREASONABLE. EMPTY SPACES.
ITS OKAY TO CUT OFF THE BACKGROUND OR THE 6 PIXELS BESIDE THE LAST PIXEL OF THE FINGER.

//more to come.//

SIMPLE TUTORIALS

bmf_1.jpg

[1] Border for the red box. -12FEB08(PHOTOSHOP)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photoshop
Kay. This is red box.
bmf_1.jpg

And it needs a border. SOO.. kay, see that little "f" thing down there? Yepyep, click that.

Next, we should get this.
bmf_2.jpg

Oo. popup. Kay, We're going to stroke... NO, NOT THAT KINDA STROKE ><; Just.
You know. Line stroke,

LINE STROKE!

Kay, so once we pressed that, this comes up.
bmf_3.jpg

Please, play around with the colours and border line. You can even play with the "inside","outside" thing.
Like for example, when I do the whole image border thing, i fill the whole image, give it an INSIDE border, then change the FILL to 0%.
Cheat way.

Here we go, Mr. Red Box.
bmf_4.jpg

And you can even give it a few Borders too! (All my borders here are outside.)
bmf_5.jpg

One layer below another, the lower they are, the bigger the borders!

comingup.jpg

[2] "But my eyes are WHITE" -13FEB09(PHOTOSHOP)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photoshop
Hello~ Uhm. Ya. My character's eyes ish blue(blue? wtf why I type blue?) white, and as you can see. Uhm. Its red in the picture. So. Uhm.
I know many many people want to change their eye colours from the characters, too. So.

I'll show you how i do it, kay?

So first, we get a picture we want to edit and get it ready. :D
1-5.gif

First things first.
ALWAYS DUPLICATE THE LAYER YOU'RE GOING TO EDIT ON!

and once you've done that, see on the left, we open that black..maggiflyingglass-thing button. (That's the Dodge tool.)
(You open it by holding)
And you should get a few choices.

Dodge tool- Sorta lightens everything.
Burn Tool - Makes everything darker (Burn)
Sponge Tool - Desaturate/Saturate

2-4.gif

So first,we desaturated the image, Its like making a new canvas?
So click the sponge, and desaturated the area you wanna edit. :)

And taa-daaa.
3-4.gif

DESATURATED! :D This is how it looked like now! Yay!!
4-2.gif

But wait, it's NOT DONE.
Her eyes. ARE WHITE. So here. We use the dodge tool and go on it :)
5-2.gif

And the results..
6-2.gif

7-1.gif

But of course, not all our eyes are white. Soooo. :D
What I usually dooo...
First I make a a new layer, and just.. dot right there.
Like so...
8-1.gif

And then see, that "normal" word thing? click on it, and you should be able to see this:
9-1.gif

So when we change the layout effect, we get different results. And I've screenshot a few. :)
BUT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH IT TO KNOW IT BETTER.
effects.jpg

Have fun. :D

I just figured how to use GIMP
to be frankenstein i love it :]

I also use GIMP as well
Though I have to say I'm still trying to get used to it ^_^

Hehe

I use paint, but not professionally, just for fun.

I do have GIMP but have yet to understand it <_<

Photoshop cs4 rocks.. I hate gimp, I downloaded it the other day and I was liek :L at all the features,

Gah, I just died trying to understand GIMP. Photoshop is much easier to use! >__< i want photoshop CS4. my god. <333 3D!

I had CS4 quite a while ago. Am using CS3 again now. I'll upgrade once my laptop is back on its feet more fully. :lol:

I use Photoshop CS3 but my mom just bought CS4 so I might be trying that out soon. :)

I'll admit GIMP is pretty hard to use at first.
I used it once or twice - badly - when I was like 9/10.
Then about a year ago, after PhotoPlus refused to work on my lappy, I decided to try it out again.

And I guess I just got better ^_^

i used to use gimp but that now doesn't work on my computer so i now use photoshop elements which is way easier. however fireworks is pretty good too

I tried photoshop elements on my friend's comp today. More or less the same as photoshop.. but different. XD Like a cuter version of it.

I love fireworks but Its too basic now after you use Photoshop real version.. I had elements for a while and I hated it. :p

We have elements in school - it's fine for photo editing, but I could NEVER make a banner on it.
*shudders*

Ohh we don't have any programmes like that on our school system , well not in my year anyway... all the older students get msn etc on their system we don't :(

Ha. I haven't tried. XD All I did was colouring something that my friend was doing. And we use our own laptop in school. Then again, its a frigging huge campus. I know the Design part uses Photoshop stuff. And they even have Maya!

I think it might be only for Computing and Art, maaaybe Design & Technology. Not sure.

But I do Digital Photography xD

You have Photoshop and want gimp, huh that is weird Its usually the other way around anyway.. you type in gimp in google and download it.. Its free, basic and really hard.

I just saw your "But my eyes are WHITE" section. That's not how I change eye color but I could use it as alternative some day so thanks for showing that. :)

I can't wait for some more tips.. :p My graphics suck. dont they Abby and Kagyou Wu, you both should know ?

They do not suck Darren. :p

Thank you but They kind off do, Compared to yours and stuff... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back