Book Club: March/April

What should our March/April read be?

• The Sunbearer Trials, by Aiden Thomas

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase, by Mark Forsyth

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🪄ollivanders🪄

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Hiii it's my turn to pick the options for our HNZ book club, and I've tried to go for a very broad mix so there's something for everyone. I'll give EXTREMELY loose descriptions here, and put the full Goodreads summaries in spoilers, so you can choose how much info you want to have about the books before voting. (I'm also linking to the Goodreads pages directly, but be wary of spoilers if you choose to read the reviews!) They're all ones that've been on my Want To Read list for a while and all sound fantastic, so no matter where we go I'm eager to crack in :p

The Sunbearer Trials by Aiden Thomas
YA fantasy, based in Mexican mythology, described quite a lot in reviews as "Percy Jackson meets Hunger Games." 416 pages.

Welcome to The Sunbearer Trials, where teen semidioses compete in a series of challenges with the highest of stakes, in this electric new Mexican-inspired fantasy from Aiden Thomas, the New York Times bestselling author of Cemetery Boys.

“Only the most powerful and honorable semidioses get chosen. I’m just a Jade. I’m not a real hero.”

As each new decade begins, the Sun’s power must be replenished so that Sol can keep traveling along the sky and keep the evil Obsidian gods at bay. Ten semidioses between the ages of thirteen and eighteen are selected by Sol himself as the most worthy to compete in The Sunbearer Trials. The winner carries light and life to all the temples of Reino del Sol, but the loser has the greatest honor of all―they will be sacrificed to Sol, their body used to fuel the Sun Stones that will protect the people of Reino del Sol for the next ten years.

Teo, a 17-year-old Jade semidiós and the trans son of Quetzal, goddess of birds, has never worried about the Trials…or rather, he’s only worried for others. His best friend Niya―daughter of Tierra, the god of earth―is one of the strongest heroes of their generation and is much too likely to be chosen this year. He also can’t help but worry (reluctantly, and under protest) for Aurelio, a powerful Gold semidiós and Teo’s friend-turned-rival who is a shoo-in for the Trials. Teo wouldn’t mind taking Aurelio down a notch or two, but a one-in-ten chance of death is a bit too close for Teo’s taste.

But then, for the first time in over a century, Sol chooses a semidiós who isn’t a Gold. In fact, he chooses two: Xio, the 13-year-old child of Mala Suerte, god of bad luck, and…Teo. Now they must compete in five mysterious trials, against opponents who are both more powerful and better trained, for fame, glory, and their own survival.

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase by Mark Forsyth
Nonfiction, about how impactful sentences are constructed. (Figured this could be a fun read for us all as writers!) 205 pages.

The idiosyncratic, erudite and brilliantly funny new book from Mark Forsyth, bestselling author of The Etymologicon and The Horologicon.

In an age unhealthily obsessed with substance, this is a book on the importance of pure style.

From classic poetry to pop lyrics and from the King James Bible to advertising slogans, Mark Forsyth explains the secrets that make a phrase - such as ‘Tiger, tiger, burning bright’ or ‘To be or not to be’ - memorable.

In his inimitably entertaining and witty style he takes apart famous lines and shows how you too can write like Shakespeare or Oscar Wilde. Whether you’re aiming for literary immortality or just an unforgettable one-liner, The Elements of Eloquence proves that you don't need to have anything to say - you simply need to say it well.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
Adult sci-fi thriller, themes of amnesia and isolation in space. Won a whole bunch of sci-fi awards. 476 pages.

Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery—and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he’s got to do it all alone.

Or does he?

There are your options! This poll will be open for 7 days, so get your votes in quick! Once the lucky winner emerges, we'll have two months to discuss and enjoy in this thread, before the next poll begins.

React/discuss in the thread at your own pace, but since we all read at different speeds and are all different levels of busy, please be respectful and hide all potential spoilers behind spoiler tags.

Site rules apply to all discussion on site, but be warned that some books may potentially contain more mature themes or language.

The current book club leader schedule is as follows;
Jan/Feb - Cyndi
Mar/Apr- Rowan

May/Jun- Mia
Jul/Aug- Sarah
Sep/Oct- Kadi
Nov/Dec- Daphne
Anyone keen to take the lead in future should let Cyndi know!

So i voted for the Sci-fi one, but tbh, I'll probably still read the sunbearer one cause I've read the author's other book and really enjoyed it.

I'm having trouble deciding, though it should be east since I've read the first one already xD but I liked it so much I kind of want to vote for it. I'm not going to because I want to read something new, but I would definitely recommend it!

I'm voting for the scifi one too because it's been on my to read list for ages.

Also selected the sci fi one because I've had other books by that author on my list for ages and am curious to see if I like their writing style! (Plus the plot of this one sounds so interesting!)

ooh, good choices, Rowan. I would be happy with any of them. And my library has them all, so I can't even use that as a decider.
I voted for the sunbearer because I love books with queer plots, a bit of mythology.

Man I was expecting this to be a MUCH more even split!

I left it to see how other people were swinging before I cast my own vote, and I've gone for the nonfiction one just to be contrary :p i love an underdog I'm super keen to read all of these and I think they'd all be fun to discuss as a group, but I included that one because I'm SO curious how we would all feel about it with such different approaches and styles to writing. The discussions would be so much fun... (Also as a ~social experiment~ it would be FASCINATING to see what the effect on the site would be if we all read the same book about writing at the same time.....)

I'm mostly voting to be contrary though, I'm so fascinated by the summary of Project Hail Mary, and I've heard nothing but good things about The Sunbearer Trials, so I'm excited no matter which way this goes >:3

Just under 12 hours left on the poll if anyone's been holding off on voting!

I pre-emptively put a hold on the e-book in the lead which was good because the estimate was 11 weeks away when I placed the hold last week. It's down to 9 weeks away now so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get the book before the end of the month :p

Ahaha yeah my library's copy isn't free until late May, so I might wind up just having to buy it again 🫠 woes of having a small & underfunded local library this is why i mostly wind up reading stuff that's free on project gutenberg lately

The Sunbearer Trials sounds like an absolute adventure. I'm all about that Percy Jackson vibe mixed with Hunger Games intensity. Mexican mythology adds such a unique flavor too. Honestly, I'm torn between wanting to devour it ASAP and trying to savor the anticipation! I've been lurking here for a bit, and it's my first time joining the book club. Came across this forum while deep-diving into game of thrones books – got obsessed and needed more recommendations. Your mix of options is like a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to get lost in March/April's literary journey with everyone!

Last edited:
So excited about this winner - has anyone had a chance to start reading yet? I just got my hands on a copy yesterday (ty Daph) but I haven't started yet, I'd love to hear any preliminary thoughts!

I have started it and I’m actually 1/4th of the way in already. I’m really enjoying it so far.
I really enjoy the flashbacks interspersed between the present day chapters. It’s slowly shaping the story more and more. The main character is also really likeable, imo.

I also really enjoyed The Martian by this author, so I’m glad this one is fun too.

I apologize for double posting but I've finished it by now and I LOVED it, can't wait to see your guys' thoughts.

I'm just over half way

I've really enjoyed also the way its weaving the past and the present, it was a good way to like get slowly introduced to the sci-fi elements without it being like overbearing world building. I don't trust rocky. like not even 1 single little bit

I'm just over half way

I've really enjoyed also the way its weaving the past and the present, it was a good way to like get slowly introduced to the sci-fi elements without it being like overbearing world building. I don't trust rocky. like not even 1 single little bit
I very much agree on the weaving part, it really helps. But around the point you were at I was getting very impatient with the flashbacks and just wanted to be in the present because ALIENS.

I've FINALLY made a start, I'm about 30% of the way through & loving it.

My favourite thing about spacefaring sci-fi is always when writers take a genuinely unique approach to aliens, so I am EATING THIS UP YUM YUM YUM

The whole concept of another species having such a different relationship to physics that they can use noble gases as solids is fascinating. One of my cousins is studying astrophysics and I'll definitely be reccing this to him once I'm done, if he hasn't read it already.

Also here is a dumb and bad joke I can't get out of my brain
04506046e7e2a6d10f3c9afa4cf514736fe28ba7.png

I finished it! Omg it was sooooooo good!

I really enjoyed the back and forth of the present day and the past memories, and I almost dropped the book when it revealed Grace had been forced to go. I loved Rocky to death, though I also was afraid because of course he was a spider :lol: Spider aliens. But Rocky was fun. I nearly cried when I thought Grace hadn't gone back for Rocky, but thankfully he was brave for his friend.

I'm not the smartest, but this book was really easy to follow along with the sciencey things and I genuinely enjoyed it, thank you Rowan! Great rec.

This book was also really well written and really funny, I laughed several times out loud- scared myself with it once, lol.

I'm 75% through now and GOD DAMN THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD

I was fully on the edge of my seat when it looked like Rocky had died saving Ryland oh my God the tone of the story has been juuuuuuust dark enough that I could have possibly seen it happening & the last section of the book being Ryland trying to carry on their work alone. (I'm still not totally convinced they're both making it out of here alive...}

I also enjoy that Ryland was wrong about how to save him - a lot of their predictions and guesses have turned out right so far, and it was nice seeing him get something so important wrong for a change. (Though I'm obviously glad Rocky still pulled through regardless :r )

I don't know nearly enough about science to really follow everything it entails but I love the amount of thought that's gone into making Rocky's biology both feasible and COMPLETELY alien. The discussions of sociological differences and similarities between their species is fascinating too, I love well thought through aliens in sci-fi, and this is definitely the best example I've ever read, hands down.

I was unsure from the offset whether or not Ryland had actually volunteered to go on the mission, but as soon as the original crews showed up I realised it was gonna turn out that he had been forced to go, so the explosion on the base wasn't a total surprise. The fact that he didn't choose this though... damn. Only makes it more powerful.

I'm not super sciency (I was born for the arts) but I'll definitely be reccing this book to one of my cousins - he's studying astrophysics, and has complained to me before that not enough sci-fi has actual science in it, so if he hasn't already read this he'll eat it up for sure.

The hold on this book finally came through for me, and it happened right before I hopped on my flight today so I was able to read some of it! :party: I definitely already feel hooked into the mystery of the story (I'm in the middle of chapter 2) so I'm excited to read more tonight before bed. :)

Double posting because I think I'm the only one still reading the book but
I'm just over half way

I didn't even think to not trust Rocky but now...I feel like I should be more suspicious xD
I really enjoy the flashbacks interspersed between the present day chapters. It’s slowly shaping the story more and more. The main character is also really likeable, imo.
Yes, I also find the main character super likeable. It's making this easy to breeze through because he feels relatable.

I stopped myself from reading the last two comments by Jess and Rowan because I don't want spoilers even though I want to know what you both thought very badly xD I've been reading during every free moment and staying up way past my bedtime so I think I'll be done by early next week!

Double posting because I think I'm the only one still reading the book but

I didn't even think to not trust Rocky but now...I feel like I should be more suspicious xD
i think my distrust of rocky is just very reflective of who i am as a person and my interaction with sci-fi being largely horror based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back