Open Y43 Start of Year Feast

Dahlia was jolted out if her bad mood by Max, noticing finally that she'd cut the potatoes she had into almost a mash. "Oh," she muttered, awkwardly scooping some onto a fork and slumping a bit. """Can't punch my sister, so this'll have to do," she grumbled, scooping the rest into her mouth. At least it tasted okay, if a little less good. "Didja have a good break? Guessing you'll try out for Quidditch, right?"

@Max Goose

Felix had just taken a big bite of his food when he heard someone start to talk to him. He turned and saw one of the younger girls in his house and he tried to keep up with her excited ramblings. He chewed slowly and tried to remember her name. They had only spoken once before but he felt bad that she had remembered his and he hadn’t done the same. “Thanks.” he said slowly and wasn’t entirely sure what part of her spiel he was responding to. “Well last year was a prank with my siblings. And my older sister would have killed us if just one of us had green hair so we all joined in...” he tried to explain. He had considered keeping the color or changing it but quickly realized one year was enough of that. “What was our name again?” he asked after a moment, knowing it would bug him if he didn’t ask now. @Marnie Frogg

Margo did her best to hide how close she was to tears. She even let her hair fall in front of her face to pretend it offered any kind of shield. But of course someone looking as miserable as her was not likely to go unnoticed. She jumped slightly when Renata spoke to her and reflexively wiped at her eyes to get rid of any tears that decided to betray her. Margo tried to say something but her throat was too tight and she just nodded and swallowed hard. “Yeah, long trip.” she said. That seemed to do it and before she knew it tears were really falling now. She tried to wipe them all away and pretend she was fine but it quickly became apparent that she was fighting a losing battle. “I’m fine.” she said but her voice made it hardly convincing. @Renata Stepanova

Eliza smiled brightly as the older girl complimented her name. "Thank you," Eliza says with a small smile. She thought that the girl was nice and was glad that she had greeted her. "Quidditch is the magical sport right?" Eliza asked Aurora with curiosity. She didn't really know much about the game. Her grandmother had vaguely told her about the sport. But Eliza was a little curious about the game. "I'm not sure. I think I'm excited to learn about the spells and explore the castle"

@Aurora Archer

Max smiled confusingly when Dahlia awkwardly scooped some of the now mashed potatoes onto her fork. It was obvious to him that something was bothering his classmate but he wasn't sure if he should ask her about it, especially with so many people around. ''You could grab a chicken drumstick instead and chug it at someone, or better yet, you can chug them at me, I'll happily eat all of them.'' He really wasn't the best at trying to make people feel better, so he often said silly or straight-up dumb things in the hope that it would make the other person laugh. Saying that she could throw chicken drumsticks at him was about the dumbest thing he'd ever come up with. ''Of course I'm going to try out for the Quidditch team! I've been practising all break for this, I'm as ready as I can ever be. What about you?'' @Dahlia Doherty

Oh, dear. Was that the whoosh of another joke flying over Ralph's head? Rion feared so. She took the pitcher and poured herself some juice. "I was being sarcastic," she said ruefully. "Sorry." He'd get used to it. Or she hoped he would - she needed someone around who thought she was funny.

Once she had all the food and drink she wanted (cheese excluding), Rion began to eat, chatting to Ralph between mouthfuls. "Sure," she said. Ainmere would be delighted she'd made a new friend. "But then I have to meet your brother." Fair was fair. After that, she listened to Ralph talk about his hometown and its attractions. The Hobbit? The Lord of the Rings? He really was a nerd. "Oh, I haven't seen those," she said, looking at her plate. Maybe she shouldn't have been talking to him so much. People were going to start thinking she liked the same things by association. She shoved a big bite of chicken in her mouth, so that when he asked where specifically she came from she could only shrug apologetically. It was rude to talk with your mouth full.

@Ralph Easterling

Angel leant back in his seat at the staff table as the sorting ceremony wrapped up. He'd applauded happily for each new Slytherin though admittedly he was tired enough that he hadn't managed to retain many names, if any, yet. It was a bad habit, but Angel was always too wiped between Ama and Chel and prepping for the new school year that he rarely had any energy by the time the year had actually started. That and he'd spent the extra time this year sprucing up the common room which was even more tiresome. Well, he'd used magic to do it, but his wand arm was tired.

"Here's to another winning year for Slytherin, hmm?" He toasted to one of his neighbors at the staff table, finding just enough energy to feel smug about their winning streak as the feast began in earnest.

Renata could immediately see that she shouldn't push Margo, not wanting to make the younger girl feel uncomfortable. She simply nodded, giving her a reassuring smile. It wasn't really her business, she just hoped Margo was okay. "If you need someone to talk to..." Renata offered, giving a nod and leaving it at that. She turned to look over at the conversation between Leo and Rene, looking forward to getting to the Quidditch pitch.

He only now realized that it was meant as sarcasm as Rion said. A nervous laugh came from the boy, his voice creaking like an old broom closet door. ”Ah… Sorry, I misunderstood you.” It was his nature to take all jokes literally and he often thought slowly. That didn't mean Rion wasn't funny, she just needed to find someone who understood her jokes.

As the food settled into his stomach, Ralph continued to chat with Rion and agreed that she must meet his brother Chris. They both could find a common language. And Chris would definitely understand the sarcasm. "When we have lessons together with Slytherins, I will introduce you to him."
Then he found out that Rion hadn't seen those movies. Ralph was used to the fact that not everyone in the wizarding world watched muggle movies and his passion was perceived as nerdy. ”Is there a muggle in your family? My grandmother is a muggle and we often go to muggle movies.”
When Rion was eating, Ralph didn't notice that her mouth was full and continued talking himself, even though he was not the least bit hungry.

@Rion Pendleton

Anisha had just been enjoying the food while Raafe talked to some first year off to the side. She noticed Dahlia and Max talking nearby and tuned into their conversation as they talked about Quidditch. “I considered trying out, but it seems like Gryffindor team is always the most popular one.” She commented, waving her fork to articulate her point. “So I figured there’s no point.” She wasn’t a huge Quidditch fan either and was a bit worried it would leave her with too little time for homework. She realized she might have said something discouraging to her friends, though. “You two should totally try, though.” She said, nodding quickly.

@Max Goose @Dahlia Doherty

Josephine tended to sit next to Angel at feasts, after all, she did love the man and wanted to spend time with him. When she saw him toast to another year for Slytherin, she rolled her eyes fondly. “Your confidence will be your downfall one day.” She said though she tapped her glass against his. “One of your students is going to pull off something bad one day and we both know it.” Slytherin was a dangerous house in that way. Josephine could know, it was her own old house. “But I do rather enjoy the Slytherin decorations at the end feast each year.”

@Professor Angel Castillo

Rion's best efforts to appear preoccupied went unnoticed. She found herself, to her surprise, relieved. Her behaviour in the bookshop, on the day they met, had been terribly rude, but Ralph did not seem to have realised that, nor had he realised she was being rude now. Whether she deserved it or not, he had thrown her a second lifeline. "Well, my granddad's muggle-born," she said, after she'd finished her mouthful. "He has a TV. I... watch it sometimes." Every weekend, more like. Rion tensed as she remembered the playground taunts, the way she'd cried when Joshua had stolen her favourite figurines from her bag and thrown them on the roof of the year six classroom. She'd never got them back. The thought of them still up there now, face-down in a puddle, made her equal parts angry and ashamed. Ainmere would never have let something like that happen. She'd have kicked Joshua in the shins, held him down in the dirt until he agreed to retrieve the figurines himself. Maybe Rion should have done the same.

She wondered what she would do if somebody bullied Ralph for being a nerd. Somehow, it was easier to imagine standing up for him than for herself.

She took a deep breath and asked, "Have you seen Star Wars?"

@Ralph Easterling

He spoke and ate bite by bite, and did not consider it necessary to interrupt the conversation even when Rion’s mouth was full. This was not an obstacle to a meaningful conversation about nuggle relatives and films. Lo and behold, Rion had a muggle-born granddad who had a muggle TV. It was even better than going to the movies. At that moment, Rion looked worried about something, but Ralph ate a spoonful of beans and continued. "What movies do you watch on TV?"

But then there was a question about the movie Star Wars, which immediately interested Ralph and he answered with enthusiasm in his voice. ”I have watched the first three parts of Star Wars. I plan to watch all the other parts. Do you like Star Wars?”
He liked to talk about movies and there was nothing he could do. Also, he collected film posters, which he pasted on the wall in his room.

@Rion Pendleton

Dorian could have seen that Conan had a bunch of shells, but he didn’t understand why he had a bunch of shells. “A shell collection,” he said flatly, disapproval clear in his voice. “Why would you collect shells? Just to look at them?” He asked dubiously, looking down at the shells to get a closer look and frowning. They didn’t look very interesting to him. He’d had his doubts about his roommates before, but he never took them to be dull enough to enjoy something that seemed about riveting as looking at rocks, Professor Alcott-Ward’s ability to give an interesting speech non-withstanding. @Conan Burke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back