Open Y42 Start of Year Feast

"I'm not muggleborn," Sera said, tutting. What a funny thing to assume. "My mum and dad are magical too. My dad went to this school - he was a Slytherin. Maybe he knew your mum!" Unlikely as it was, Sera couldn't help but hope his family had some connection to Ainmere's. It made their meeting here again feel even more like fate. "So, Hufflepuff, huh! You happy?"

@Ainmere Pendleton

Objectively, Brooke knew her education was very important and she needed to take her NEWTs seriously but the small and bitter part of her that reared up every time she saw Ares' Head Boy badge from further down the table really made her wonder what the point was. She wasn't a prefect, she wasn't Head Girl, she didn't lead any clubs, her last year of school was here and she hadn't really managed to do anything. It was frankly depressing and Brooke really wondered why she bothered. At least she supposed she could be glad that Flynn wasn't head boy...

It wouldn't do to let anyone see her starting out her last year in such a strop though and Brooke made a point to put on a polite smile as Professor Alcott-Ward addressed the hall at their new headmaster. Now that was something that was going to take some getting used to and Brooke found she would rather miss having him as her History professor. Hopefully whoever replaced him wouldn't be a complete mess, she mused, scanning the new faces at the staff table. She also couldn't help but over hear another familiar name during the sorting ceremony, eying Delilah's little brother for a moment before scooting closer to him to talk. "Don't tell me you have another sister at school," she asked dubiously, trying to spot the new Thorne girl or Delilah across the hall. Delilah had never mentioned another sibling, but you could never tell with some of these older families. @Caleb Thorne

Ainmere was giddy as they spoke. "I bet they were probably friends that didn't contact after graduation, that happens a lot you know! I bet they'd be happy to be friends again and have us hang out!" She said not knowing about his father's fate. "Yeah, I didn't mind which house honestly, I just wanted to make friends. Though now I hope my little sister gets the same house as me so I can keep an eye on her! What about you? Happy?" She asked with a grin as she munched.

@Seraphiel Fletcher

Sawyer resisted the urge to flatten down his hair, aware that the more he fussed with it, the more likely people were going to notice it. As if anyone who knew him hadn’t already noticed it. At least it made it easier to spot Thistle in the crowd as she was herded inside with all the other first years and Sawyer had to tuck his smile into the palm of his hand as he watched her take in the hall excitedly. It was going to be a weird year without Theia here, but he was sure he and Felix would have their hands full enough now that Thistle was finally joining them.

Sawyer had his own thoughts about what house Thistle would end up it, pleased to be right when the hat called out Ravenclaw and he let out a cheer, clapping loudly and waving her over to a clear spot by him. The spot on his other side had been filled only just before by another Ravenclaw who seemed keen to chat as the feast got underway. “Hey, I’m Sawyer,” he said easily once he was done fussing at Thistle for a moment as she made herself comfortable at their new house table. “Welcome to Ravenclaw and all that. Oh and avoid the peas, they’re mushy,” he added, pointing at the nearby plate and shaking his head. @Conan Burke

Salem was more than relieved to have her OWL year over and done with so she could relax this year. OWL work had been interesting, but Salem had to admit pretty early that she wasn't exactly good at it. Not that she had ever been particularly good in her classes, but it was nice to have more free time again to find something more interesting to do around the school instead of panic about homework all year. At least until next year she supposed.

There had been a lot of hubbub about who their new headmaster would be and while Salem had been quietly hoping it might be someone like Professor Kingsley, she supposed she didn't have any complaints about Professor Ward. He came across friendly enough though Salem did think he was a bit boring. Maybe it was just the side effect of having to teach a boring subject for so long, Salem could certainly never have handled doing the same thing for as long as some of the professors did every year.

René shifted in his seat as the sorting ceremony started, trying vaguely to pay attention to the hat and not stare too obviously between the Gryffindor and Slytherin house tables. He hadn't gotten a chance to mention Jenna to Caleb and Louis yet and he wondered how soon was too soon? Could it be too soon to tell them he finally had a girlfriend or would it come across as bragging? Would Jenna get mad if he didn't tell people? It was all new and weird and René wasn't quite sure how it worked but he still couldn't quite keep the smile off his face as he listened to Professor Alcott-Ward. There were a lot of new changes happening this year, what with their OWLs and the new headmaster (and his new girlfriend) and René found he was tentatively excited for it all for once, sitting up higher at the table instead of his usual slouch as the food arrived.

Cameron was almost impressed at how old the sorting ceremony got after his first year. He liked to think it was just a sign of being a wizard that a singing hat and enchanted school didn't phase you anymore. He did wish he had more friends in Slytherin still, catching sight briefly of Isadora waving across the hall and rolling his eyes at her, returning the wave after a brief moment before hastily lowering his hand in case anyone saw.

He had managed to snag a seat near Ngawaiata at least, not that she was great company if you wanted to talk but it did mean he wouldn't have to talk to any random first years if he didn't want to. He was a little curious about their new headmaster though, he looked like a dork to Cameron and he'd never had any of his classes though he was pretty sure his impression was the correct one. "Hey, what's he like, kinda seems like a pushover right?" He asked one of the prefects sitting near him, nodding to Professor Ward as he finished his address to the school and food began to appear. @Natalia Novak

Marnie was thrilled to be back at school. She'd missed her family at lot last year but after a few weeks she was eager to be back and learning magic and hanging with her friends all over again. And even better this year was that she was a second year, which meant she actually knew stuff around the school and only sometimes needed to ask a prefect for directions, which was pretty cool.

She settled in at the Hufflepuff table, beaming at her roommates as the sorting ceremony got started, eager to see the new first year's reactions to the sorting hat. Her attention was caught particularly by one of their new Hufflepuffs, and Marnie couldn't resist scooting over to talk to them once the feast was underway. "Hey, did I hear your last name is Friend? Like F-R-E-no wait F-R-I-E-N-D, friend? That's so cool! I always listen to the other F names wow there were so many this year because we're like name neighbors right though I guess you're a first year so it's not like we'll be next to each other the roll in class or anything but still Friend! We should start a business together or something Frogg and Friends it sounds like a business doesn't it or maybe like a radio show, I'd listen to it at least oh sorry my name is Marnie, Marnie Frogg, thus, Frogg and Friend right?" She said excitedly to the new boy. @Gregory Friend

Raafe hadn't doubted Anisha for a second when she'd promised they'd stick together this year though there had still been a cold, horrid moment after she'd stepped away and been sorted were Raafe had almost entertained the idea. It would really throw off their whole plan (read: Anisha's plan) for the year however and Raafe was glad he hadn't given into hysterics too early when the hat seemed aimable enough to just let him follow her right after to the Gryffindor table. Raafe hadn't had any real opinion of any of the houses beyond wanting to stick with his cousin, so he was perfectly content to squeeze Anisha's hand back as the feast got underway, tilting his head to check for Indira before letting himself enjoy the food and thankfully good company.

The worst had happened. Dorian should have known to expect as much but he did his best to keep a stiff upper lip as he seated himself at the Ravenclaw table, stomach sinking more and more as Ezra was sorted into another house not long after. He'd known the second the hat had called out Ravenclaw that they'd have no chance of sticking together. He loved Ezra dearly, he was a great friend, but he wasn't a Ravenclaw and now Dorian had to deal with all his new housemates. On his own. For seven years. He resisted the urge to drown himself in his pumpkin juice as the feast began, sitting quietly and rigidly as he tried to make his way through this first dinner without talking to anyone or getting jostled by over-eager friends reuniting around him. One night down... Seven more years worth to go, he thought grimly.

Natalia had decided there were no interesting people nearby to talk to, so she focused on her food. She frowned a bit as a young boy suddenly spoke to her. She gave him a cold look as she asked him about her opinion on the headmaster. Like she was going to fall for something like that. Insulting the new headmaster on the first day of term was a stupid thing to do. "No. He is fine." She said shortly.

@Cameron Roswell

Gregory was nervous as he sat there. He had food on his plate and was enjoying it, but felt a little nervous. Should he speak to someone or should he keep quiet. However, he didn't need to as someone called to him. He looked at the girl, who seemed a little older than he was, though not by much. He nodded at the first question, had been about to confirm when she just kept speaking. her name was Marnie, her surname was Frogg and she thought they should go into business. "Frogg and Friends sounds cool! What would we sell or do?" he decided to ask. It felt like an conversation to have as he ate.
@Marnie Frogg

Sera shrugged one shoulder awkwardly, electing not to mention his father's passing. "Yeah, probably," he said. "That would be cool-beans." Cool-beans? Sheesh. Was he ninety? "Your sister was... kind of annoying," he recalled vaguely. "Well, not annoying. I got told off once for making her cry, but I didn't do anything - I was just standing next to her, which I guess is a crime, I mean, what do I know?" Sera reached for a jug of deep red juice and poured himself a glass. "Oh, I wanted to be in Hufflepuff. I think it's the best house, you know - hard-working, patient, kind, honest, cute... OK, I made the last one up, but you can't deny it. Do you want some blood-juice?"

@Ainmere Pendleton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back