Upon Returning to School

Jaken smiled warmly, "It's fine." He wanted to share other things with this girl, but perhaps this wasn't the time. He felt a grave feeling overcome him, making him uncomfortable. He wanted to dismiss it, but it wouldn't leave.

Jaken nodded, his expression the same when he casted a smile, "Definitely. I'll hold you to that." He felt rather good about the entire event.

Returning the smile of warmth, her brow furrowed as she looked to the boy. He looked like he felt uncomfortable. "What, the cold finally getting to you?" she joked playfully, slugging him on the shoulder. She hoped that he knew that it was only a gesture of jest, in full.

Jaken shook his head, "No. The weather feels very good to me. I just have a bad feeling. I don't know why or anything. I just do. It's nothing..." He laughed at Estrella. He smiled, "If I was supposed to feel that, then you rather failed." He didn't know how to play back. He just laughed instead.

Estrella's brow furrowed as she looked to Jaken, wondering what was going through his mind. It seemed she wasn't the only one who was getting intense, foreboding feelings today. She wondered why. Was it because of the change in the weather? Were they going to have a bad winter? Granted, it didn't get as cold as it did in the Western Hemisphere but the chill had a lot to be desired.

"Oh. You're not alone on that today," she stated quietly, her gaze falling back on the lake. She glanced at him oddly; didn't he know that she was only playing around? The male species seemed so complex to her. If Estrella had slugged a girl on the shoulder like that she would either have gotten whined at in good spirit or slugged back. What was it with boys and being tough? Kale had been the same way.

Flexing her fingers, she laughed, "I suppose that was a rather wimpy attempt of me?"

Jaken shook off the grave feeling. He couldn't let a feeling get him down. He was happy and a simple feeling shouldn't bring him down. He wouldn't let it.

Jaken laughed a bit. He explained kindly, "I have no experience when it comes with 'playing around'. Don't take it personally. Maybe I ought to get used to it here, huh." Jaken smiled.

Jaken joked, "Just a bit."

Estrella gave the boy an encouraging smile, her gaze falling down to her skirt. She frowned as she smoothed a wrinkle out of the material; she really would like to just kick back in jeans and a t shirt one of these days. Uniforms could really make one detest them.

She raised an eyebrow as he stated that he was not used to playing around. "Having fun, more like! You're telling me that you're not used to wit, sarcasm, even a little bit of humor once in a while?" Of course she could be taking it entirely the wrong way, but she had to imagine that even the most serious of families had to laugh once in a while. Right?

She looked back at him curiously, smirking. She considered taking off to the pitch later for a while; maybe she could take his comment to heart and swing at some bludgers.

Jaken watched her as she patted a wrinkle out of the skirt. He laughed to himself. She hated the uniforms too. Well, who wouldn't? He wouldn't mind getting back into his own outfits himself.

Jaken shrugged, "Well, not physical contact. We have a ton of sarcasm in our family, er, just from me and my siblings I suppose." He tried to think of a time when his dad or mom were sarcastic. No, they both were serious people.

Jaken smirked as well, "I just didn't notice it at first when you...uh, tapped me. So, no offense when I say that you hit like a girl." He snickered a bit.

Estrella snorted as she looked to Jaken. "I hit like a girl?" Her mouth hung agape in mock surprise, pretending like she was going to punch him again. "Well-" she started, raising her fist and then dropping it, letting it hang limply at her side, "I'm okay with that then. Since I am a girl and all." She snickered back, grinning broadly at him.

She wondered what his family situation was like- although she knew that it would not be prevalent to ask, considering that this was the first time she had met him. She couldn't expect him to either, considering that she would be quite uncomfortable talking about her own family. She was just happy to sit back and appreciate a friendship that had seemingly just burst into bloom.

Jaken laughed as he watched Estrella poise like she was going to hit him again. He smiled as he said, "You are pretty fun to watch." He looked across the lake, hoping to see the shark or squid there were rumors about. Jaken turned back to the girl, wondering what he could say next.

Estrella cocked her head to the side, grinning broadly. "Fun to watch? Now whatever is that supposed to mean, Jaken Styx?" she stated dramatically, if not borderline flirtatious. "Are you proposing that you'd stick me in a cage in a circus? Since that's what happens to fun things to watch?" She laughed, her expression laced with intense amusement.

Jaken moved his hair from his face and smirked, "Hm, putting you in a circus could be entertaining." He laughed, "I'm just playing. I meant that you are amusing considering that all the other girls at Durmstrang didn't have a heart." Jaken shrugged, continuing, "Rather bored creatures, they were."

Estrella raised an eyebrow. "I just wonder what section they'd put me in; I mean, would I really get a cage next to the Bearded Lady?" She made a pouting face, grinning broadly at Jaken. She laughed. "Didn't have hearts? Come on, the country your school is in may be frigid but I doubt that the girls are the same!" She pulled a strand of hair behind her ear, quite interested to hear about Durmstrang, considering the students would be here soon.

Jaken thought for a moment and answered with a laugh, "No, just next to a two-headed camel." He felt deeply amused with the image of the camel. He sighed, "The girls, well, their personallites were different...but nonetheless, they were as cold as the weather. My ex girlfriend was pretty cold hearted." Jaken felt solemned at the thought of her.

Her mouth hung agape, Estrella's laughter was quite louder than normal, lowering her voice level when she realized that her volume was so high. "Well, that's just marvelous," she stated mock sneeringly, narrowing her eyes jokingly at Jaken.

"Cold? I'm sure they weren't all that bad." She grinned, hoping for her sake and that of everyone else; the Durmstrangs would be staying at Hogwarts in any case. She hoped that they were at least decent. "Why, why was she so cold hearted?" Thoroughly interested, she looked to the boy, wondering what he still felt about this girl.

Jaken mimicked her tone of voice, "You should take that as a compliment. A bearded lady is just a freak, while a two-headed camel is an amazing thing." He chuckled, never having this much fun without causing havoc in one setting before.

Jaken shrugged, "That was all the girls I knew at least. All...cold. Or bitter. Whichever." Jaken shrugged. His mentioning of his ex girlfriend hit a rather discomforting nerve. He finally answered, "I...honestly don't know. I never asked, since I was at that time, the same way. If we were to meet again, I doubt that we would really connect like we used to." Jaken looked away from Estrella's stare. He questioned his own feelings, and became befuddled. Jaken muttered, "A rather pointless relationship it was, actually." He finally grinned a bit and turned back to the girl.

"Would not a two headed camel be a freak?" Estrella chortled, shuddering as yet another blast of breeze hit her face. She grinned broadly, glad that she could be so relaxed with someone that she had just met.

She frowned as Jaken looked uncomfortable, hoping that she hadn't gone into any forbidden territory. "Oh-" she stated, looking away. "Sorry, if that's uncomfortable to talk about I'll stop. Really, none of my business anyway." She gave him a weak smile. She really liked this kid, but it was really only their first meeting, and she wasn't sure how to feel about him in any case.

Jaken shook his head, "No, of course not. Camel can be amazing, not freaky." He laughed. Jaken embraced the chilly breeze with complete bliss. He loved the weather here.

Jaken shrugged, "It's nothing to worry about. Things might be difficult if we were to run into each other again, but well..." He paused. "I don't like her anymore anyways. We were more like close friends, but with a label. My dad liked her in any case." Jaken smiled, thinking of how good it feels to talk about how he really felt. "If you want to know anything, then I don't care to answer it."

Estrella raised an eyebrow. "How can camels not be freaks with those big lumps on their backs?" she chided him. "Especially if they have two heads!"

She smiled at him weakly, stating, "It's alright. What do you mean, into labels? Why don't you like her anymore?"

She hoped she wasn't bombarding him with questions and making him too uncomfortable.

Jaken shrugged, "Um, one of a kind I guess? Everyone has a bearded lady." Jaken chuckled at her statement at camels.

Jaken thought for a moment, searching for the words. He finally chosen them carefully, "We were close friends, and one day, I cannot really remember how, we were boyfriend girlfriend. Nothing really changed between us, except she got to meet my family. We hardly even considered ourselves as dating." Jaken shrugged. "As for me not liking her anymore, well, I want someone with a warmer personality. Someone I can actually be myself with, whereas, I couldn't with her."

Estrella shook her head, grinning broadly. She never would have guessed this year that she would be conversing about two headed camels with a transfer student from Durmstrang, someone who apparently had the reputation of being a miscreant no less. She felt that this was the beginning of another chapter in her life, and she was quite glad that she was able to drag some friends along.

Her lip twisted into a frown as she looked back to the boy. "That's quite an odd circumstance," she stated, remembering when she and Kale had suddenly become a couple. It had been a spur of the moment thing, and while they were not together anymore it was still a memory fresh in her mind. She wondered how he was doing, not having seen him around at the school lately.

"I guess that would be desirable," she added, "I think I'd go crazy if I were with someone I couldn't be myself with." She gave Jaken a warm smile, wondering if she would be considered a warm person. Not by the standards of many people at this school, she reckoned, especially after last year.

Jaken smiled, thinking how in the world he came up with a two headed camel. It was beyond him. Maybe he wasn't as serious as he thought he was. Or was raised up to be.

Jaken nodded slightly, "It was." He didn't really have anything more to say about him and her. He grinned, "Exactly. Looking at myself now, I seem more...well, my own person. It feels rather nice to be myself again." He smiled at her, curious about whether she accepted him for who he was. She probably does, considering that she has left yet. Jaken laughed silently.

Estrella grinned broadly at Jaken, her expression brightening considerably. "Well, Jaken," she stated, hoping that he wouldn't notice the tinge of pink on the tips of her cheeks, "I like you as yourself. Even if I can't say that considering I just met you!" A glint of amusement gleamed in her dark eyes, her expression warm despite the cold that her whole body was engulfed by.

Jaken'e eyes widened in shock as he heard Estrella say those words. He saw the pink upon her cheeks and decided not to say anything about that. Jaken remained silent as he tried to think of something to say. He had never heard anyone say that to him. Jaken, after the shocked feeling left, gave her a warm smile, "Thanks for liking me as I am, despite the stuff I had said earlier about what all I have done in Durmstrang. It was the first time I have ever heard anyone say that to me, so that was why I was so shocked."

Estrella frowned a bit as the shocked look struck Jaken's face, hoping that she hadn't upset him. She looked at him for a moment, her dark gaze cast to the ground as they shared an awkward silence. She looked back up to him after a moment, wondering how he would react. She was not expecting the warmth in the smile on his face, unable to not grin back.

"Well, how could I make judgments upon you from what you did in the past if I didn't know you then? I'm hard pressed to do that, and I find it hard to believe when people do it themselves." Her smile was minute as she replied quietly, "You seem entirely decent to me. I would never have guessed you were even a troublemaker back at your old school."

Jaken laughed, "How could I think that? I actually feel rather dumb now." Jaken nodded in agreement. He used to be judgemental, since he thought that people could never change. If he were to still believe that, then he would be a hypocrite, something he despises. Jaken grinned, "I know. I am actually a totally different person now than I was then. Like a split personality thing, but I became better or something." Jaken laughed, hoping that he wouldn't turn into a horrible troublemaker again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back