Upon Returning to School

Jaken smiled. He realized that he has never been this nice and pleasant to a complete stranger, especially sharing information that makes Jaken feel like a complete idiot. Maybe I really have changed. Well, at least it was for the better, for the sake of himself and others around. A wave a nervousness washed over him. He decided to enter the Triwizard Tournament. He wanted to ask Estrella whether she decided to enter, but he decided to wait.

Jaken laughed, knowing the feeling she had, "Seems like whenever someone else does something bad before you and get away with it, once you do something bad, you get caught. At least, that's what happened to me. Even on stuff I didn't claim to do." Jaken thought silently And the teachers knew that Jaken was proud of the stuff he did, and took all the credit. "You didn't enjoy it? That's a first I've ever heard." He noticed her glance to the badge. "Oh...well, I suppose you can find other things you enjoy other than getting into trouble."

Jaken nodded, as he moved his hair from his face once again, "Yeah, I was. I have always been about speed." Jaken tried to remember what a Streak was. Perhaps they were called something different in his homeland. He finally figured out what she was talking about and grinned, "I have seen them. I have been meaning to get one soon. Or get my dad to get me one." He paused, "No offense, but how could you have hit a shed? I shouldn't be talking since I hit a tree... Anyway, I was never the Chasing or Keeping material. That was my sister, and my mother." He laughed, "I would be content to fly with you sometime. As soon as I get either my old broom or a new one."

Estrella smiled slightly, looking back to the lake. Rays of sunlight licked at the waters, almost too bright to the eye. She grinned back, winking slightly at him. "There was more than one reason for hating suspension- but in short, it sucked." The fact that she didn't really have anywhere to stay was the bad part. She watched him glance to her prefect's badge, adding, "Yeah." She glanced pointedly at the forest, a smirk lighting across her face. "I've always considered peeking around in the Forbidden Forest one of these days..." Her voice trailed off, unable to belief that she had admitted the thought out loud. She shrugged her shoulders sheepishly, her expression brightening a bit as Jaken continued about Quidditch.

"The Streaks are really amazing," she stated, nodding her head at Jaken and grinning. "Much faster than the Firebolts, and more maneuverable in my opinion." A slight blush coming to her face, she stated, "Yeah, I think that'd be fun! You have to get around the Quidditch pitch one of these days. And if you're ever interested in playing I'm sure the Slytherin captain would be happy to take older and possibly experienced players."

Jaken nodded, "I won't ask any details about the suspension. Obviously, it is more than what you are telling me." Jaken glanced over at the forest, most likely known as the Forbidden Forest. "Can't help but wonder, why is it forbidden?" He wondered if there were mystical creatures there or something.

Jaken imagined the Streak and how fast it would move. He smiled, "I am going to write to my father to buy me one. Red and black to match my hair." He laughed at himself, "I'll have to stay away from the trees. As for the Quidditch, I just might sign up since I hardly have anything to do here. And it might keep me out of trouble."

Estrella grinned, glad that Jaken was so understanding. Especially since she had just met him, she knew that it would be best to limit what she was talking about on that particular subject, as she tended to run off her mouth at times. If she talked about the suspension she would start talking about what had caused it, and that just wouldn't be an incredible impression on someone she had just met. She glanced to the forest, her eyes misting over a bit. "Yeah, there's things in there. A few students and staff have been attacked." Her lips twisted into a frown as she observed the forest, wondering if the threat was still there or if school officials had removed it.

Trying to lighten her mood, she looked back to the boy, beaming. "That would be neat.. I think you'd need that custom made though, I know that Quality Quidditch supplies only carries a few colors-" Her eyes were bright as she added, "That'd be pretty neat- Quidditch is fun if you get the hang of it. At least, in my opinion."

Crossing her arms across her chest, she smiled, turning to look at the forest again. What other beasts lurked beyond the fringes of the trees? Hopefully, one to find out wouldn't get hurt.

Jaken smiled. His eyes wondered back to the forest. Now he was curious about what was in there. Werewolves? Giant spiders? What other creatures were beyond the trees? Jaken decided to go there one day, to find out whether it was safe or not. "Hm, sounds rather intriguing." He smirked, developing a plan to wonder into the forest one day.

Jaken thought for a moment, "What if I were to ask my father to get me a ruby streak? Or would that symbolize Gryfindor?" He would hate to be confused as a Gryfindor player if he were to join the team. "You know, I think I will join the team. Or try to. I seriously need to do something besides sit around and being bored, feeling anxious about the selections of the Triwizard Tournament." Jaken looked back at Estrella, grinning slightly.

Estrella watched as Jaken gazed at the forest, thinking that bringing it up to a habitual troublemaker might have been a bad idea. Well, what was done was done. No matter his background she still liked him, and was hoping that they could have a solid friendship. She was in dire need for a good friend in any case.

She chuckled, stating, "Nah, I don't think it's really based on broom colors. Now, if you were to wear red robes during the game," she smirked, her eyes glinting with amusement, "that would be confusing. I'd say you're alright getting a ruby streak."

Chortling, she raised an eyebrow as she looked to him. "Did you put your name in to compete too? I'm getting sooo anxious. I want to know who our champion is now! And, I also think it would be neat to meet the Durmstrang and Hogwarts Scotland students."

Jaken sighed as his curiousity diminished. His thoughts were more into the present than the future. He couldn't help but feel a pull to go into the forest one day. Perhaps in his seventh year. Maybe. And if he did, he wouldn't want anyone to be with him, in fear of them being hurt.

Jaken laughed, "I ought to wear my Durmstrang robes. They are blood red. But I will get a ruby streak. Thanks to you, I have the urge to go flying right now." He could actually feel some of his fingers twitching with excitement.

Jaken recalled writing his name down and putting it in the cup, "Yeah. Are you in it? Surely you are aware that the tournament has always been dangerous, unless it changed now." Jaken's eyes widened, "The Durmstrang students are here? I hope, depending on who they are, don't recognize me whatsoever. As for the Hogwarts Scotland...I don't know about them."

Estrella's eyes narrowed as she looked to Jaken, although her expression lightened up as he looked back from the forest. She knew that she would have to go in there some day, maybe when she was older. But presently, she had to focus on the here and now- her conversation with Jaken, with which she was thoroughly enjoying herself.

She giggled a bit, stating, "Yeah, you'd cause havoc on the pitch. People would get seriously confused; everything's going so fast, that'd only add to it." She grinned broadly, adding, "Hah, so is that a bad thing or a good thing then?" She of course was inquiring to his comment about she having made him want to fly, jokingly of course.

"Yeah, I put my name down in the cup," she stated, her eyes glittering brightly, "Of course it's dangerous. I think I can handle it though." Beaming, she added, "I can't wait to see who gets to compete. I think it will even be fun cheering for our champion. Yeah, I heard rumors that Durmstrang is going to be here." She wondered which school Jaken would cheer for; his former one or his new one, HNZ.

Jaken felt a small breeze blow through his hair. If he were to go into the forest, he would need to know several powerful offensive spells and defensive spells first. He grinned at Estrella, hoping she couldn't figure out that he planned to go in there....once he was in his seventh year. As long as he didn't say anything else about it, perhaps she wouldn't catch on. Jaken doubted it seriously though.

"That would be interesting to see nonetheless," Jaken smirked, "Depends on how you look at it. It's bad that I cannot fly right now, but it is also good that you got me interested in something for the first time since I moved." He smiled as he thought of flying again.

Jaken had read about the Triwizard Tournament, and it could be brutal, and life threatening. "I suppose only people used to dangerous things can actually handle participating in this tournament." He then wondered if he could handle it. He ignored it and said, "If you like to cheer. It would be rather confusing for me though. If Durmstrang does come, then depending on the champion, would I support them. Same thing for this school. If I didn't like either, then I would skip the entire tasks, including the ball that comes too. Wait, I would skip that anyway." He laughed quietly.

Estrella chuckled. "Yeah, it'd be funny at first, especially if Slytherin was playing Gryffindor. I'd watch out though; one of their teams beaters might not be feeling so merciful if you choose to go that route." She observed the skies, stretching over the lake and overlapping the tips of the mountains; despite the chill, it was a perfect day for flying. She wondered if she should go back up to Ravenclaw tower and grab her winter jacket or something. She still wore Jaken's coat, and while it was a barrier to cold it didn't prevent the chill entirely.

"That actually sounds like a good idea right now," she intoned quietly, her curiosity turning back to the forest. She looked to Jaken, wondering what was running through the transfer boy's mind.

Grinning broadly, she turned her head back to the boy, chuckling, "Yeah, I suppose that'd be quite the dilemma for you. I hope we get someone that's good for the job though- I mean, it'd be so awesome if NZ were to win!" Her eyes flickered in amusement as listened to his last comment. "Ehh, I suppose they'd be fun to watch. You're not the most social character are you?" Smirking, she stated, "My, you wouldn't even go to the ball if a girl asked you?" She hoped that the question wasn't too odd for him, as she was thoroughly amused.

Jaken shrugged, "I'm not very merciful either. I can get really competive when it comes to games and such." Jaken saw a bit of Estrella's discomfort. "Are you still cold, even with my jacket?" He couldn't tell whether it was colder or not, considering it still felt warm to him.

He wondered whether he should go check to see whether his father or sister had wrote him something. He shrugged it off, since he was clearly interested in this conversation.

Jaken nodded, "Just a bit. Besides, in Durmstrang, over than my gang, I wasn't liked very well, at least, by the good kids." He laughed a bit. "Hopefully the Selection won't choose a dud for this school." He looked at the ground and then back to her, "Isn't it that obvious? Especially in a new place." He thought for a moment before answering her last question, "Uh, that would depend on the girl. If I liked someone enough to make a fool out of myself by dancing, then I would ask her. I refuse to go with a girl that is young and immature."

Estrella shuddered a bit, stating, "It's nothing." Something other than the cold had coursed up her spine, causing her to convulse just a bit. She knew innately that it had to be something other than the frigid air, but she couldn't place a finger on it. Trying to get rid of her placid expression, she attempted a grin. "No, I'm very grateful for your jacket. This is very- nice of you. Considering we just met and all." Her smile was small as she cast her gaze to the lake, her dark eyes trailing slowly back to him.

"Why not?" she inquired, "You seem like a nice enough kid." At least, she considered herself a good kid, and she was enjoying Jaken's company quite a lot. "Yeah, a dud would be bad. I think it'd be really cool if our champion won. I'm just really interested to see what everyone else is like." She blushed a bit, feeling a bit sheepish after his retort to her comment. "I'm sure you wouldn't make a fool out of yourself; everyone feels a bit silly on the dance floor I think." She laughed, thinking she at least wouldn't be considered young and immature. She hoped not anyways.

Jaken's eyes narrowed as her expression changed. "It obviously doesn't appear to be nothing. I can summon my furry jacket if you want." He laughed a bit. If that didn't keep her warm, then nothing could. "I know it is. And, being nice isn't something I'm used to."

Jaken snickered, "If you knew me last year, then you would think otherwise. I was rather...cruel and brutal. That might be why I was sorted into Slytherin." He shrugged the thought away. "And I wouldn't mind seeing this school win. It might beat the pride down in Durmstrang. Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing them win either." Jaken laughed, "I don't dance. I never have, nor did I find the reason to. So, skipping it would be suitable to me. And I also know that those little first and second years would be excited to go to the ball." He didn't like the younger children. None acted like their age, or what they are supposed to act.

Estrella shook her head, her light brown hair falling onto her shoulders. "No, I'm fine," she stated, although she appreciated the gesture. Something other than the cold was bothering her, a feeling that upturned her stomach, although she had no idea why she would feel that way. "I wouldn't want to make you go to the trouble anyways."

Her lips twisted into a grin, she stated, "Cruel? Brutal? That doesn't seem like you at all." She smiled at Jaken, to let him know that she did appreciate his company, no matter what he had been like at Durmstrang. She was the last person to judge anyone on their past, in any case. "Well, I still know who I want to win-" she smirked, her brown eyes flickering in amusement. "I don't think it's just first years and second years that like it." Of course, she did like attending the ball, although hadn't for a year for lack of a date. "We have an annual one here- but I can imagine the one that's coming around for the Triwizard will be a lot more extravagant. I'm sure even the older students would like it." She gave an encouraging smile, wondering if she was going to attend the ball this year. She would really like to, but she had no idea who she would go with.

Jaken shrugged, "All I would need is my summoning charm. It's no trouble at all." He knew that there was something bothering her. He wanted to know what it was...but maybe it wasn't the time to ask.

Jaken smiled, "I know. I get it from dad's side of the family." He remembered meeting his grandparents once upon a time, but they disgusted Jaken. Jaken shrugged it off and replied, "I know. You want this schoool to win. Maybe even someone of the Ravenclaw House." He snickered a bit. "Maybe all girls are excited about dances. My sister was the same way. And I agree that the Triwizard ball would be more...interesting than the usual ball. If I did go, I would only be in there for a moment." Jaken glanced down at the ground. He didn't care for dances, but perhaps his mind will change soon.

Slender fingers trailing to the cuff of the jacket she was wearing, she crossed her arms around herself. "No really, it's fine," she stated, keeping the smile plastered on her face and trying to shrug it off. Something didn't feel right- but maybe she was just getting the heebie jeebies for nothing. She was glad she was able to hide the goosebumps she could feel prickling up her arm, although she couldn't discern if it was the cold or the creepy feeling coursing up her spine.

Her jaw taut, she raised an eyebrow, continuing, "Really?" She wondered what Jaken's family was like, although the words cruel and brutal didn't sound so good. But who was she to judge as far as family was concerned. She shrugged a bit, grinning back at him. "You also have to be with the right people. If you were with the right person I think you'd find you'd want to stay there longer than a moment, but mind you, that's just a guess." Her face lighting up, she stood up straight, no longer leaning against the rock. "So, did Durmstrang ever have any dances?"

Jaken sighed, knowing that she wasn't going to give in. He finally said, "Fine then." He laughed to show her that he wasn't upset or anything. But there was something else. Something that Jaken couldn't figure out. He dismissed it.

Jaken nodded, "Yes. I pretty much love my mom's side. They were such nice people." He then got worried over his mother. Maybe his father was having another episode? He shrugged it off. "You are right about being with the right people. If I were with the right person, then I probably wouldn't leave until like three in the morning." He laughed. "Yeah, actually. They had two every other year, and the Christmas one." The girls there were different than the ones here though. One of the reasons why Jaken didn't go to dances.

Estrella's smile became small as she looked to Jaken, upon hearing his sigh. She hoped that she hadn't offended him by declining another jacket. She was quite glad that he was polite enough not to pry, as she was not sure she was entirely ready to be expressing such feelings to anyone right now.

She smiled, not entirely sure what to comment on his mother's family. A bit uneasily, she asked, "Oh? That's neat that you can have some family to talk to, right?" These days she was not sure who to turn to, pretty much having disintegrated any friendly relationship with Valcan and not having seen her mother's family in an incredibly long time.

She grinned broadly, chuckling, "Three in the morning? I'm not even sure they'd keep running it that late. Unless you were sneaking around afterwards, of course." The prospect made her laugh, as she supposed that the Professors would probably be patrolling much more heavily on that night than the usual.

Jaken smiled and enjoyed the cooler weather as it began to settle in. He hoped that winter would hurry and settle in. He then wondered why he was being so nice. He hasn't been this nice to anyone...well, not in a few years. He smiled again since he enjoyed it rather.

Jaken shrugged, "Not really. I go by from what I heard. I haven't met mom's other sisters, or their children. Both sides of my grandparents are dead, so...I only have Alessine. And what about you? Do you have anyone to turn to?" He then wished he could take it back. Maybe this was a bit much.

Jaken grinned, "That's good. Durmstrang wasn't strict on those rules. I had to keep an eye out half the time. Rather frustrating." He cringed at the thought of his sister being alone in that school.

Estrella grinned, the eerie feeling of foreboding that had washed over her now dissipating, lifted off her and elevating her mood quite a bit. She smiled; while she would like to get out of the harsh bite of autumn's chill she was enjoying Jaken's company too much to leave just yet.

Pursing her lip, she replied, "Well, at least you have your sister, right? That's too bad about your grandparents." She gave him a small smile, biting her lip as she tried to think about who she could turn to, could really talk to. She soon realized that she didn't really have anyone. Valcan, while her guardian was distant, and the mutual distrust was now obvious between the two of them, especially after what had transpired over the summer. "My dad, I guess," she replied slowly, although this wasn't entirely true. She could turn to her dad for some things but often it was a last ditch attempt for help.

She chuckled a bit as he stated that Durmstrang was not so strict. "Really? I always got the impression that they were an incredibly strict school- well, that's what I've gathered from my grandfather anyway. But maybe it's just him that's staunch, not the school itself."

Jaken watched her mood lift. He saw it in her eyes, and he felt more comfortable. He gazed over the lake only for a moment before turning his attention back to Estrella.

Jaken nodded, "Pretty much." He didn't necessarily tell the truth. She lived in Bulgaria, and also, she was acting more like their father. It was something Jaken never wanted to happen. "That's good that you have your dad. Mine is always, well, obsessing over something." The last thing his father ever said to him was Don't let the mudbloods get you. before attending Hogwarts New Zealand. His father was just...off in the head, he supposed.

Jaken shrugged, "At least, they weren't strict on me. Dad and mom attended their, so maybe that is why they didn't make things so strict on me, until last year. They are strict about not letting muggle-born children in." He rolled his eyes.

Estrella gave Jaken a small smile- having lied about her own father she was not entirely sure how to comment on his. She decided to stray away from family altogether, turning to the other subject.

The word muggleborn stuck into her mind, her dark eyes trailing from the lake to Jaken. "Is that a good or bad thing?" she asked slowly, unsure how to respond to the remark. She knew that she could simply be overdramatizing things and taking his words way out of context, but it still did not cease from making her uneasy. Being a half blood herself she had gotten more than one nasty comment about filthy blood, in and out of the school.

Jaken felt relieved that she didn't question any more about the family subject. And he wouldn't pursue into the subject any more than he already has.

Jaken shrugged, "I honestly don't know. I have never met a muggle-born child. I was raised in a society that hated them, naturally. I am just now deciding on things on my own." He could have taken that statement about him not knowing a muggle-born. He did. His adopted aunt. He couldn't stand her, but her blood wasn't the reason why.

Estrella raised an eyebrow, tugging at her sleeve. She wasn't entirely sure how to react; she had been interacting with purebloods and muggleborns alike all of her life, and she had never felt the need to discriminate. "How could you never have met a muggle born child?" She felt awkward all of a sudden, not sure what to think. Should she mention that she was a half blood herself?

Jaken shrugged, "My father never liked chlidren with parents both being muggles. I have met all the others, and I am almost positive that I am half blood. I don't have anything against people that I haven't met." He then added, "Wait, I do remember someone I have met that has muggle parents. But I hate her as a person, not for the blood." He smiled, reassuring her that he isn't like his father.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back