Upon Returning to School

Estrella bit her lip- whoever Jaken's father was, he didn't seem like an incredibly pleasant person. She realized that she had never gotten her father's view on muggleborns, but she pretty much figured that being a Death Eater implied something. She shrugged, smiling weakly, hoping that Jaken indeed wasn't of that kind of opinion. "My mother was a muggle," she intoned quietly, "I'm half blood too."

Jaken smiled, "My father as a person is well, just weird. His views, I don't agree with." He laughed as he heard her comment about her mother being a muggle. He folded his arms and smirked, "You didn't think I would like you any less if I knew that, did you?" He smiled warmly at her, making sure that she believed him.

Estrella's smile brightened a bit as she listened to Jaken, sighing quietly in relief. She had been genuinely worried for a moment. "That's good to know," she stated quietly, shrugging, "I was just- you know, had to make sure. I never know what to expect from people." Especially when it comes to a sensitive topic like that, she thought to herself.

Relaxing a bit, her shoulders dropping, she stated, "And I wouldn't like you any less for it either."

Jaken sighed in relief to hear her. He agreed, "I know what you mean. That is a...debatable topic, and it could potentially destroy friendships." He smiled. He saw her relax. He informed, "Just don't say anything to my father if you happen to run across him. He can be...touchy." He laughed nervously and wondered what his father's response would be.

"I hear you," Estrella replied, her gaze casting to the ground. She chuckled a bit. "Why would I ever run into your father? Isn't he in Bulgaria or something?" She grinned, thinking it would be an odd circumstance indeed to run into the boy's father. In any case, it seemed that she didn't want to. "But yeah, I'll keep that in mind. I usually don't go flaunting blood status; not entirely safe, you know?"

Jaken shook his head, "Nope, he is living here. He occassionally goes to Bulgaria to handle with his business. Otherwise, he resides not far from here actually." He hoped that Estrella didn't run into his father. It could swing to the good or bad side. And he wasn't going to risk that. He laughed a bit, "No kidding. I am usually not big on safety, but that...well, I'll make an exception. It hurts emotionally, or it can hurt *physically*."

[Ooc: I wish I knew how to spell that word with the *s. lol]

((If you're trying to spell physically you spelled it right.))

Estrella gave Jaken a small grin. "Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle things if anything like that ever did happen, but thanks for the concern." Her expression was reassuring, her eyes bright as she looked back to him. She was pretty sure that she could handle herself in any situation; and if worse came to worst, she could always call for Persephone. The Herrogard house elf had gotten her out of more than one scrape over the years. But then she had put herself in a questionable situation, venturing into Knockturn Alley with Courtney. She thought it was considerate of Jaken to warn her of his father, yet she knew she should be doing the same. It just didn't seem normal to warn about family, but when caution was due, she supposed, it should be brought about.

Jaken smiled back at her. He wouldn't know what he would do if he had lost another friend, due to his father. Jaken then remarked, "Who knows, he might even like you. But enough about my father. He isn't a very good conversation topic." Jaken's eyes wondered to the lake. He asked, "Is there a giant squid or something in there?" Jaken thought he saw some movement in the water, but perhaps it was just his mind playing tricks on him.

Estrella shrugged, her smirk minuscule as she looked to Jaken. More than unconvinced about his father she turned to look at the churning waves, her expression placid. A slight chuckle escaped past her lips as her gaze trailed back to the Slytherin boy. "I've heard rumors," she stated, "Of a squid and a shark, no less, but they might just be rumors. Who knows? I've never personally seen them myself." Her eyes glinted with amusement as they trailed to the forest. "There's rumors about the forest too, but no one's been far in enough to truly know anything."

Jaken's eyes went from forest to lake and then ending at Estrella. He shrugged, "I would love to find out...however, it is against the rules." The last words ended with an annoyance tone. How much he hated following the rules. "Someone else needs to go in there and find out. In both the lake and forest."

Estrella chuckled, raising an eyebrow at Jaken. "Who would you propose to go in there?" She grinned broadly, feeling quite adventurous at the moment but not really wanting to jeopardize her prefecture.

Jaken closed his eyes and thought hard. He didn't want to go in there, at least, not yet. And he didn't want Estrella to go in there alone either. He then smirked, "A first year." He then added, "From any house. He or she would have to be very brave."

"A first year?" she stated incredulously, "They would get killed, or worse!" Her mouth hung agape in amusement, and she added, "I was thinking more along the lines of someone older. But being as we're the oldest year of students in the school- fat chance of that, huh? It's not like adults would just comply with that. And even if they did, they'd probably keep it a secret themselves."

Jaken nodded, "I suppose you are right. Maybe another fifth year? Or even fourth? I wouldn't ask an adult, or at least anyone I don't trust." Jaken sighed, wishing he had an older brother or sister to go into the forest and lake. However, that would be impossible since he is the oldest.

"I don't think I'd ask anyone to go in, personally," she stated quietly, her dark eyes trailing the perimeter of the forest, "I'd go in myself if I ever had a reason to want to go in there." She grinned broadly, biting her lip as the conversation trailed once again back to the forest. "But I wouldn't want to go alone, I reckon."

Jaken glanced back into the forest. It seemed a bit dangerous for anyone to go in there. He shrugged, "I wouldn't want anyone I know to go in there alone. There has to be someone around here that has been in there." Jaken didn't know anyone, so he couldn't necessarily say anything.

Estrella grinned a bit mischieviously as she listened to Jaken, glancing to the side as he stated that he didn't know anyone who had gone into the forest. "Well-" she started sheepishly, "I was a first year at one time." A glint of amusement flickered in her eyes, hoping that he would catch her meaning. The smirk on her face read that she had indeed ventured into the forest, on more than one occasion too.

Jaken listened to her statement. However, it took a moment to clearly process in his mind. He laughed and shook his head while smiling. He finally replied, "You went in there? How far? I don't think to the edge really counts." He smirked, wondering whether she did go past the edge or maybe a bit further in.

Estrella smirked as she looked back to Jaken, a chuckle erupting in her throat as she observed his facial expressions upon figuring out what she was saying. "Yep," she stated, grinning, "As a first year, with some friends." Who are no longer here. A lot of people had left or died since the school had been started up. "We went much farther than the edge; and boy, did we regret it. We ran into something, I don't know what it was exactly, it looked kind of like a dog, but boy, did we turn tail." She grinned, thinking about the incident, her brow furrowing. Alex and Rose had been with her; Alex had left the school and Rose, her best friend, had already been dead for four years.

Jaken processed it thoroughly and finally grinned, "Wow, that had to have been a werewolf. I would hate to confront one of them. Especially if they are hungry for...people." Jaken grimaced a bit. He turned to Estrella, "No one here is a werewolf here, right?" He then added, "And I would have done the same thing as you if I were in there when I was eleven."

"It could have been," Estrella replied, kicking up a leg behind her against the rock, almost as if she were trying to stretch it. "I don't know what it was for sure, but whatever it was, it was incredibly frightening and by Merlin, I don't want to see one again." She smiled, adding, "If anyone really was they wouldn't tell the general student population, would they? No, I don't know any personally but with the amount of secrecy involved there could be."

She chuckled a bit as she reflected on her first year, remembering it with delight. So many things had happened then to impact her life; and they were very much a large part of the person she was now. "Yeah, you could definitely say the younger years of school were definitely more- adventurous."

Jaken shrugged, sinced he never knew a werewolf by person. He finally nodded, "Yeah, there would be a lot of problems if everyone knew. If there is one around here, then whoever he or she may be, is keeping it hidden extremely well." He smiled, "Hopefully, you won't see one again."

Jaken thought that the school was rather new, but it made him curious on why most of his grade had left. He inquired, "What made them so adventurous?"

"Hopefully not," Estrella agreed, her brow furrowing and her lips pulled into a frown. Would there be any werewolves in the school? Had she even met one? She really had no idea.

She grinned upon his second question. "Well, let's just say the lot of us got into quite a few scrapes in our first and second years." She remembered a lot of things that she had heard people gotten into, and the things she had gotten into herself personally.

Jaken looked around, making sure that he didn't hear one anywhere close. He wasn't very big on werewolves, even if he had never been near one in his life, nor had one in the family.

Jaken grinned, "That's good that it wasn't very serious. And I hope nothing like that will happen again. I may not be understanding it all, but well..." He paused. "Some things happen for the best." He smiled. He wanted to know more, however, he had a feeling that he didn't need to know everything.

"Sorry," Estrella replied sweetly, chuckling nervously. Could she tell him about the Stark Manor incident? Not really. That was something she definitely couldn't tell Jaken on her first meeting with him, in any case. She didn't exactly want to alienate any new acquaintances.

"Maybe- we'll get to it someday?" she laughed, smiling, her eyes bright as she looked back to him. She was definitely seeing a friendship ahead, a prospect that made her very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back