The House of Rambolt

"Ah." Nicolas began after hearing the explanation behind it all. when offered a drink he wasn't all too sure what to ask for, having always drank in the wizarding World as whenever he was in the muggle world it was business. His first impulse as such was to ask for fire whiskey which he knew for a fact they could not supply for him. "Some wine would be great, thank you." he decided to say, figuring wine would be safe and broad enough.

"Wonderful," Marilyn said, watching as her husband went to uncork the wine they'd brought up from their cellar and pour them glasses. "Dinner should be ready soon, why don't we have a seat for a few moments?"

James came back into the room and handed their guest his glass first, then his daughter , his wife and then he sat down beside her. The wine was an old vintage, a bit sweet but not too sweet and red. "So you're in law enforcement?" he asked, taking a drink of his wine.

(be back in a bit)

(Okies)

Nicolas accepted the wine with thanks and waited for Cecily to move toward the table before he did. He withdrew a chair for her, moving it closer to the table after she sat then seated himself beside her. "Among other things." Nicolas said with a smirk, "Yes, I work for the Wizarding World's equivalent to the MI5 without the military." he explained as best he could with his knowledge of Britain's muggle systems.

Cecily accepted Nicolas help with her chair, feeling blessed to have a true gentleman. She smiled at him in thanks and listened to the banter between him and her father.

"Fascinating," James murmured, his brown eyes bright. "How long have you been in?" He'd also helped his wife to sit down before seating himself, kissing her hand before he took his seat.

"As long as I've been a professor, so four and a half years." Nicolas replied, adjusting himself in his seat and feeling his wand jab him in the side as he did so. He had meant to put that away somewhere, he knew there was no need for it here. He motioned his hand beside his chair and under the table so the only person who could possibly see him doing so would be Cecily. His hand motion caused his wand to move itself from his side to his inside pocket.

Cecily caught the movement of Nicolas moving his wand and glanced at him, sipping her wine. She kept hers on her at all times now. There wasn't a moment it wasn't within reach.

Marilyn got up from the table, asked for Cecily to help and went to the kitchen. James wanted to help but knew from experience he'd only be turned down. He looked over his shoulder before leaning forward with his elbows on the table, fingers linked together. He fixed Nicolas with his serious brown eyes. "I haven't seen Cecily laugh this much in years," he said quietly.

Nicolas smiled at Cecily as she left and then at her father's comment. He was glad for this, if she had been happier with Bearse, knowing what he knew about their relationship, that would not have been good. "Sorry, I don't quite know what you do." Nicolas stated, not sure how to reply to his comment.

"I own a fishing company. We have several boats ocean wide. I retired from the fishing expeditions a year ago. Miss it sometimes but Marilyn and I spend a great deal of time in our houseboat year round. Do you sail?" James asked, curious to how a wizard spends his free time.

"No, I've never sailed." Nicolas began, recollecting his evening with Cecily where she had asked the same question. "I much prefer the air to the sea it seems."

James chuckled. "Cecily said much the same thing when she went to Hogwarts. Went to stay at her friend Edward's house for a summer and all they did was play Quidditch. Then she had that accident in her seventh year. Think it soured her to the experience for a few years."

"Accident?" Professor King enquired, his interest aroused. He still didn't know much of Cecily's past and wouldn't mind learning more. He figured he would ask her about Edward himself later.

"Didn't mention that one, did she?" James mused, lips quirking. "Practicing for Quidditch and ran herself into a tree. The darnedest thing about it though, was the tree objected and knocked her and her broom across the lawn. We were called in because she had to spend a week in the hospital wing."

"Sounds like she had a few adventures that she's kept secret. Perhaps she'll share them later?" Nicolas mused, more to himself then anybody else. "Do you figure the ladies need any help?" Nicolas asked, Cecily's absence making him grow uneasy unsure of what to discuss with her father.

Just then, Cecily and her mother reappeared, and floating in front of them were many dishes and a large tray where the Christmas ham, hot from the oven, made its star appearance. Cecily had everything land safely in the predestined spots on the table, the turkey to the side of her father.
"Ta da!" Cecily said, grinning, knowing how much her father enjoyed it when she made things levitate.

"Wonderful!" James exclaimed. "You've outdone yourselves this year, my dears." He waited until they sat down to raise his glass. "I propose a toast." He waited for all to raise their glasses. "Here's to life, love and friendship. Merry Christmas."
Marilyn's eyes sparkled with her unshed tears, thankful to have this time with her family when last year she'd been staring death in the face. "Merry Christmas!" she said, grinning.

"Merry Christmas." Nicolas echoed behind the others after raising his glass. He then took his glass and took his first sip of the wine. He wouldn't lie, it couldn't beat goblin wine but it suited it's purpose and he smiled as he drank it.

For many moments, there were quiet murmurs as James sliced the ham and everyone passed the many dishes around, filling their plates. James was passing the potatoes to Cecily when Marilyn addressed Nicolas. "Yams, Nicolas?" she asked, ready to pass him the dish if he chose. "Cecily grew them this year." She looked at her daughter fondly.

"Yes, thank you." Nicolas said, accepting the yams and putting a fair amount on his plate. "This all looks very delicious, you really have outdone yourselves." He stated, looking over the foods on the table.

"Yes," Cecily said softly, glancing at him. "We are." She wanted to lean over and kiss him right there. She hadn't felt this happy and carefree since she was a teenager. It made her feel young and light, as if the bad experiences she'd had had never taken place.

"Well, I'm quite honoured to be your guest." Professor King responded, taking some potatoes and placing them on his plate along with a cut of ham.

Once everyone had their plates filled and began eating, the conversation turned toward the wizarding aspect of the world.
"How is that poor girl doing, Cecily?" Marilyn asked curiously, eating a bit of ham. James had become more focused on his food but kept an ear open for the conversation.

"She's doing much better, mum. Her uncle works as a nurse at our school so she's adjusting quite well." Cecily said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back