Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
lesbian
Wand
Straight 13 Inch Flexible Ash Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
REVOLUTION

So my girl Hayley wants to start a revolution, and naturally I can't do that alone.

THE REVOLUTIONARY MANIFESTO

The Problems
- The wizarding world is stuck in the past
- Prejudices abound, against muggleborns, squibs, anyone who's different from wizarding norms
- Wizards, purebloods in particular, are ignorant about muggles and this leads to nonsensical beliefs

The Solution
- Many of these problems could be solved by letting the muggle world know about the wizarding world
- Muggles being aware of wizards would put a lot less stress on the relations of wizards with the muggle communities they live in
- The wizarding community would become less backward as they'd get to incorporate muggle technology, bringing them out of the era of parchment and quill pens
- It would put a lot less stigma on Muggleborns, as there wouldn't be so much ignorance about muggles
- There would also be a lot less stigma on squibs if people who don't have magical ability were more acknowledged as people

(Yes, I am aware there are gaping holes in the logic here, but these are all teenagers.)

THE CONSEQUENCES

Obviously I don't expect the revolution to be ultimately successful, as such major social change would entail a major shift in the nature of the AU. But I would love it to gain some support and have some consequences.
I'm thinking speeches, protests, flyers, civil disobedience. (Naturally some of that will require plot approval.)

WHAT WE NEED

- Supporters! Hayley has only talked about this to a couple of close friends so far, but this year she's going to start trying to get public attention around the school. If you have any characters who might be interested in her ideas, please post here.
- Enemies! Obviously there will be a lot of people who are satisfied with the status quo who will be against this concept; I'd love input from them too.
- Ideas! I'm not sure how best to go about this, Hayley herself won't be sure how to start a revolution. Please give me ideas about what sort of things to organise.

I love this.

My character - Geo Volt:
I think this would be something that Geo would hear about and consider initially to be a good idea. She's grown up within a magical orphanage but at the same time she's been around muggles in the UK, and would agree that there are stereotypes and prejudices that would be better off quelled. She would also believe that the wizarding world is stuck in the past, and there's a number of limitations to wizards that are available outside in "the real world". Also it's worth noting she's a Metamorphmagus but doesn't believe she's any better than anyone else, and would like to see the two sides of wizard v muggle combined, as it would take off a lot of the pressure and make the world a fairer place.

However..

She would also consider that this would be incredibly dangerous for muggles. If their worlds were to be combined, muggles would be at a disadvantage in most circumstances, given that they don't have the same power that wizards hold, and it would take a while for her to consider that it would be an idea worth pursuing.

What she could do:
Geo wants to be an Auror when she's older, she likes danger, and she's incredibly loyal to those she's trusts meaning there's not much she wouldn't do to help. I could see her wanting to be part of this, but thinking more along the lines of keeping both sides secure. She would be there to protest and hand out flyers, but be someone who would also act as a line of defence if things took a turn for the worst. She would want to encourage muggles to know about their world, but she would want them to also look to wizards as people that can be trusted and who they can turn to, to help them come together against bad people.

I can offer Katherine to give everyone joining this revolution a year-long detention? :devious:

Though in all honesty I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I don't have any input this early on, but I think I have a few people who'd be against it as it develops, either due to their own prejudices, or due to fear of what would happen if the magical and non magical worlds collided.

Realising I would also have Maggie next year :r

Maggie's going to spend most of her first year quite freaked out by seeing real magic as she's been so sheltered from it, but will eventually come round to loving this part of her and will want to show others it's not something to be afraid of. Her parents believed she shouldn't be submitted to it until she was ready, but she's spent the last few years imagining various fantasy scenarios (and as a result one of her favourite things to do is play D&D). She will be more careless than Geo, and willing to go all out in an effort to allow others to not have to go through the feeling of being alienated.

I'd be on board with this, I'd be willing to add some people once this thing progresses, I actually have an organisation dedicated to this kind of thing if she wants some help with that!

THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER.

Lilyanna here would definitely want to be a part of this and she would be willing to fight for it until she won basically. However, if it became too overwhelming with a lot of people and loud noises I can't really imagine her staying around too long. But she's all for combining the muggle and wizarding world and thinks wizards knowing how muggles survive without magic would help them for the long run as magic can't exactly do everything in her opinion.

So yeah, sign me up! :p

We've already talked plenty about this, but you knoooow Harley is on board :lol:

Ainsley I think would agree ideologically but really struggle with the concept of actually taking any action. Hayley could probably convince her to participate in some stuff at first but she'd dip pretty quickly once she realised how many people and noises and arguments are involved.

Kauri's my other muggleborn and I think he'd honestly be a bit blindsided by all this. He's still very much enchanted by the magical world, and might honestly side against Hayley if anything. He doesn't see any problems in things the way they are, and he's a pretty big stickler for rules. He'd probably find the whole thing offensive if anything.

I also maybe have some thoughts about one of my adult characters that would also involve Daph so I'll message you both about it. It's just a thought, but could potentially be an interesting scene down the line.

As far as ideas of actual protest events, the kind of things that I think would be within Hayley's scope to organise while at school would be things like flier campaigns and letter writing campaigns and the like, I think. Maybe she could try to write an article and get it published somewhere arguing the case for magical/muggle integration. I think big events like large scale rallies would only be possible with adult involvement, though something school-related like a student 'why is there muggle studies but no wizard studies' protest would be possible (with plot approval for all of this larger stuff obviously) or like. some kind of pledge campaign around the school not to use certain terms for muggleborns & to stand up to people who do (like the anti-bullying pledges that roll around schools from time to time) obv, not all of these are good ideas, I'm just throwing spaghetti at the wall re protest ideas to see what sticks.

'why is there muggle studies but no wizard studies'
What do these kids think all the other subjects teach? :r

Professor Katherine Alicastell said:
What do these kids think all the other subjects teach? :r
:lol: I meant in terms of a cultural class, the way Muggle Studies teaches about muggle culture. It's always seemed weird to me that there didn't seem to be anything in the books that indicated muggleborn kids got any kind of help acclimating to wizarding society, there's gotta be a lot of culture shock there. Obviously I'm not advocating to actually add it to the curriculum, but it seems like the kind of issue that muggleborn students who've struggled to adjust would care about.

I always thought that because canonically muggle-borns are far fewer, maybe there wasn't enough muggle-born students per year to have a class about wizarding culture. Or it was just one of those things like how Hogwarts doesn't teach Math/English/Geography :lol:

Maybe having an article printed and posted in the great hall about the revolution would be a good idea, like how rhi publishes theirs, or maybe the group could write something in the Hogwarts Monthly?

Pheeb: yay, I'm so glad you like it! Yes, Geo sounds like a great person to have on board! (Not that I or Hayley would turn anyone down, obviously.) And Maggie (get the firsties early, muahaha)

Teigs: what's the organisation? Hayley isn't really the sort of person to ask for help, but I'd certainly like to know more, and even she might be moved to admit this is bigger than she can deal with on her own . . .

Kaye: Excellent.

Rowan: Hayley will definitely try to get Ainsley on board.
I love the idea of Kauri telling on them for breaking rules at some point.
Yes, good ideas, thank you :)

Jesse: I definitely anticipate Hayley at least trying some stunts in relation to this that would result in detention (honestly I'm astonished she hasn't had more of those).
Also it really doesn't make sense how Hogwarts doesn't teach Math English etc., that is itself something Hayley's ranted about before. And there are a lot of classes that kind of assume some level of pre-knowledge about how the wizarding world works, and some that are downright muggle-phobic; I think it's more likely some complaints might focus around that kind of thing.

Jesse is only in on this so he can get everyone into trouble :r

Hayley Elridge said:
Also it really doesn't make sense how Hogwarts doesn't teach Math English etc., that is itself something Hayley's ranted about before. And there are a lot of classes that kind of assume some level of pre-knowledge about how the wizarding world works, and some that are downright muggle-phobic; I think it's more likely some complaints might focus around that kind of thing.
Thisssss

I also thought maybe they could hand out badges of some kind, like they did for Cedric in the TWT?

Oooh this sounds like something a couple of my characters would get involved in!

I have Sara Benivieni, my muggleborn Slytherin. It'd be quite interesting to see her point of view on this because she loves the magical world as is but at the same time she has parents who still kind of disapprove of all of their children having magical blood so it'll make her want to participate. Sara is cautious, although if convinced enough can potentially protest a little further. It depends of course how far it'll go, I know she'll want to be involved and to help out however.

I also have incoming firstie Lavinia Benivieni, who's related to Sara though she is a half blood and not a muggle born. Lavinia is quite strong-headed and is the type to join in on things like this, especially if she believes in something so strongly xD Lavinia wouldn't exactly care about getting in trouble either so that makes her quite stubborn and determined to do what's right.

Those are my two characters that are very likely to join in on the revolution :) I don't think my others would as much as these two. Lavinia would be more than happy to be part of it as much as possible.

Pheeb: ooh yes, I like the idea of badges. And it's the sort of thing Hayley would be into, since she's an artist. I don't have any ideas for catchy slogans yet, though.

Clara: yes, I was wondering what Sara would think of this. Definitely keen to have Lavinia 100% involved :D

If you want someone who'll hate on it, Rory Fergusson would happily do that job. He is beginning to realise that he is wrong about muggleborns and he's trying to improve, using the term mudblood less, trying to educate himself by taking muggle studies, but it's a slow process and he would definitely come into conflict with this, just because of his upbringing and tradition.

Depending on how long it went on, he might even switch to their side eventually, given that he won't want to follow the traditions of his family when he eventually leaves school. But at the beginning he would be very anti-this and vocal about his distaste for it.

Hayley Elridge said:
Teigs: what's the organisation? Hayley isn't really the sort of person to ask for help, but I'd certainly like to know more, and even she might be moved to admit this is bigger than she can deal with on her own . . .
It's called the Shannara Foundation, they work for the understanding and inclusion of muggles (as well as other magical creatures) I believe this extends to proper wizarding education and the likes. One of my characters, Callistophae Shannara, he travels around the world collecting information about different wizarding practices and figures out how best to help incorporate muggle and wizarding culture :D

Emzies: oh wow, having Rory change his mind about muggleborns in connection with this would be really entertaining considering the current extent of his interaction with Hayley. And yes, having someone like him clash with this would be great, particularly if he's already beginning to change his mind about muggles.

Teigs: that sounds really cool. I'm not really sure yet how the Foundation might interact with the revolution, but it definitely sounds like a relevant and interesting thing to incorporate in this storyline :D

IT BEGINS!
The first meeting of the revolution is up here!

I encourage characters to ask questions, make suggestions and criticisms. Even if you don't have something to say, if you have characters who want to join the revolution, please post in this thread.

However, I would prefer that enemies of the revolution don't post in this topic; we don't want to shoot this down before it's properly begun. They could have some negative reactions to the posters up around the school though :D

All right! As discussed in the thread, that topic got really out of hand. I would like the next event to be a quieter one, where people who support or are interested in the revolution can discuss there ideas peacefully.

This is a list to keep track of who wants to be involved in that thread. To start off with, I'll assume everyone who's already posted here or talked to me through other channels is on the list. If you want to be taken off the list, let me know. If you want to be put on the list, let me know.

Hopefully this will result in a more sane experience :)
The List said:
- Hayley Elridge
- Harley Tsuji
- Aurora Night
- Rose Holland
- Geovanna Volt
- Maggie Ryan Rosendale
- Lilyanna Hope
- Sara Benivieni
- Lavinia Benivieni
- Lenore Harvelle

- Hayley Elridge
- Harley Tsuji
- Aurora Night
- Rose Holland
- Geovanna Volt
- Maggie Ryan Rosendale
- Lilyanna Hope
- Sara Benivieni
- Lavinia Benivieni
- Lenore Harvelle
- Camila Woods
- Kinsey Wilde*

*Only if there is no more aggression, she's very flighty.

Can I get Felix Urie, Aleksandra Kaster and Zennon Baros added to the list please ^_^

- Hayley Elridge
- Harley Tsuji
- Aurora Night
- Rose Holland
- Geovanna Volt
- Maggie Ryan Rosendale
- Lilyanna Hope
- Sara Benivieni
- Lavinia Benivieni
- Lenore Harvelle
- Camila Woods
- Kinsey Wilde*
- Felix Urie
- Aleksandra Kaster
- Zennon Baros
- Ainsley Lynch*
- Zoe Tsuji

(Ainsley's asterisk is for the same reason, she's very flighty & wouldn't do well in violent situations.)

But it was such a fun read! :p
'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back