Letting off Some Steam

Sophia followed beside Professor King, holding her wand out a bit before her so she could see the ground as she walked. She knew that she would have to explain herself sooner or later, but Sophia still did not know what to say. "My...I recently discovered that my memory has been tampered with. I do not know what was erased or why aside from the fact that my father ordered it be done. It has been bothering me ever since I found out."

Professor King nodded, he wasn't sure how one stumbles upon the fact that their memory had been altered, but he planned to ask in time. He figured he too would be bothered if he thought his memories to be altered, "Nothing was erased remember, just sort of written over." Professor King corrected with a smile, "So do you have any more questions?" he asked, a sinking feeling inside of him telling him that Sophia may want him to reverse the charm on her, why else would she ask if he was able to reverse them? He wasn't sure if he trusted himself to try to alter a student's memory, a student whose parent had altered her memory, what if it had been for good reason?

"Written over?" Sophia mused over the words for a bit as she walked, considering the possibilities. "So, is it possible to uncover the memories without a reversal charm? Can something trigger the memories?"

"Yes, written over." Nicolas confirmed as they came to the edge of the forest, "And I don't believe anybody can escape it without a counter-charm of sorts, unless the original charm was cast poorly or on multiple people at once."

Sophia bit her lower lip. She was sure her mother would not have done a poor job at casting the spell, even if she did not want to do it. "Professor, is it dangerous to have a memory charm reversed? I know you said it required trust, but, what can happen if the trust is not strong enough? What would happen if the reversal went badly?"

"Well, Ms. Stark, " Professor King began un-easily, not wanting to discourage the girl from regaining her memories but knowing she had to know the truth and hoping this might prevent her from asking him. "I guess I should start by stating that trust isn't always required, the caster can reverse it near any time they want without the victim noticing with no trust involved and much less risk. However, if there isn't enough trust or skill between the two people then... well, people die. The person whose memories were lost is more common, but sometimes the caster of the reversal charm can die too, it's really dependent upon the situation."

Sophia stopped walking at this news. "Wait, both parties can die? From a simple memory reversal charm?" She did not really fancy the idea of dying but she did not think she could live the rest of her life without knowing what was missing. Professor King said he had performed the spell before, surely he would do it again, would he not?

Professor King stopped when Sophia stopped, "Yes, if your mind had been jinxed or cursed in any fashion during the charm or something, then it could be a trap in waiting, it's rare, but yes the possibility is there." He held back a smile as he explained this. He didn't expect Sophia to ask for his help with the risk of both their deaths.

Sophia felt a bit relieved when Professor King said this. She stepped toward him, her golden eyes bright with excitement. "Oh my mother would never set a trap like that. She is the one who cast the charm and she said herself she is confident I will figure it out. She would not say something like that if she knew that reversing my memory would kill me or someone else."

"Well then that eliminates the risk for whoever you ask to reverse the charm." Professor King started, "If your mother is confident you'll figure things out and such why won't she just reverse it for you? Or did she not know it was reversible?"

Sophia's brightness faded slightly. "My mother is in hiding right now. She could not risk my father finding out I knew where she was, and her reversing the charm would surely clue him in. But as long as someone else reverses the charm he will not know I was in contact with her."

"How can he know who reversed the charm?" Professor King asked, very unsure of how her father could possibly be sure of anything of the sort. If he was supposed to know, he didn't right now. You could blame the night, the firewhiskey and the situation of earlier that day.

"Legilimency. He is not very good, but he would be able to find out who reversed the charm. Unless you could somehow modify that memory as well. With Legilimency can you see modified memories, or only the memories the person can see?" It seemed that each thing brought up more questions. Sophia noticed that the Professor seemed to be saying more negative things about the reversal of the charm than positive. She hoped he would say yes because she was determined now to have it done. Sophia did not feel like explaining her situation to another professor.

"That would be one of the things I don't know." Professor King admitted, having hoped he would be able to answer any questions Sophia may have, he being a legilimens could probably penetrate Sophia's mind and figure out for himself but decided doing so without permission would be more than rude and that he really didn't want to try this evening. "I would suspect however that the person using legilimency can only know what the person their using it on knows."

Sophia nodded, accepting Professor King's answer and making a mental note to do some research on the subject. "Well then Professor, I suppose I will cut to the point. Would you be willing to perform the charm on me? I am not asking you do it immediately, but, I would really appreciate it if you would do this for me. If you say no I will simply keep asking people until I find someone willing, and it is very possible that that willing person will not be as good a wizard as you."

"I'm not sure you'd trust me enough." Professor King began rather bluntly, but if she was serious about this he was going to be serious in his reply. "I don't think I could handle killing a student, and that's what this would be risking doing. I'd definitely have to have one of your parents approve it, and Alicia." He stated, that would probably be the deal-breaker too, but he wouldn't feel right about things otherwise.

Sophia's mouth dropped at hearing Professor King's demands in order to have him perform the spell. "My father is a Death Eater and my mother is in hiding from him and you want me to ask their approval? And the Headmistress?! How on earth can I explain all this to her. She would never say yes and you know it. Why did you not just say no in the first place?" Sophia turned and began to walk swiftly toward the castle wishing to escape the situation now. She could feel the anger rising within her and Sophia was not keen on losing control just now.

Professor King shook his head as Sophia spoke. "Ms. Stark come back here now." Nicolas said firmly as he waited patiently to see if Sophia would come back of her own free will.

Sophia stopped stiffly and turned on her heel but did not step any close to the Professor. "Why Professor? What point is there in my walking back to where you stand? Your mind is obviously made up and I will not waste my time trying to change it." Sophia was breathing deeply in an effort to suppress her anger, not wanting to have a mishap here tonight. That was one positive to how she had been feeling lately, she had not been quite so angry. However, coming so close to something she wanted to be told no was not sitting well with Sophia's temper.

Professor King couldn't quite believe Sophia's audacity, though it shouldn't have surprised him considering her past behavior and of course just earlier that evening. "As it stands I think I'm your closest shot at somebody helping you, so come back here and I'm not asking." He continued in the same firm voice as before, waiting patiently for the girl to return.

A soft huff escaped Sophia's lips before she walked swiftly back to where Professor King was standing. Despite her feelings she knew disobeying a direct order from him would not be a wise choice. "You think you are my closest shot. I would be willing to explore other options before attempting to ask the Headmistress for approval. This has nothing to do with school, it is my life and my memories." Although the deep breathing was helping quell her anger it was obvious by Sophia's tone that she was still not pleased.

Professor King pocketed his wand, not wanting to do something he would regret doing. "Ms. Stark. You are a student at this school. Myself and the rest of this faculty are charged with your safety. If I go to reverse that charm and you die, I very likely go to Azkaban. Nobody will have known what I was trying to do for you, they'll know that there's a dead girl at the school again and that a Professor killed them this time." Professor King stated in a low but harsh tone. "Now if you want help I will help you but we'll do it on my terms. The headmistress doesn't have to necessarily approve it, and maybe not your parents but I will be telling somebody, and if you don't like my terms I invite you to find another Professor, or anybody who will be willing." As he finished this sentence he started to walk toward the castle once again.

Sophia took in the Professor's words silently, listening carefully to all that he said. She knew he was right, but she was sure there were other ways than to ask the Headmistress of all people. She frowned as Professor King began walking toward the castle, the anger washed from her face as she turned. "Professor, please, do not go yet," she said softly after him, trying her best not to seem desperate.

Professor King stopped after a few paces and turned around, "What more do you wish to discuss Ms. Stark?" he asked, now wanting to simply go to sleep and not return to the forest this evening.

Sophia took released her breath in a sigh of relief when the Professor turned back around. She considered her words carefully before speaking them. "I would like to discuss your terms further. I was a bit hasty to dismiss them earlier." Sophia bit her lower lip as she waited for Professor King's answer. She knew that he was right, he was her best hope at getting this done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back