Late picnic

Her hand flew to her mouth as she sucked in a stunned breath. She looked away and said faintly. "Well, that's different then." Her worst fears used to be about death and people dying. When her mum became sick it made her look at things a lot differently. She got up and walked to the tree near them, looking out over the darkened lake as the sun finally set and the night was upon them.

Nicolas nodded slightly, hoping that Cecily understood his fear in general and his slight concern for her safety. She would be same until the summer no doubt, but that's all he could guarantee. Ever since Nicolas had turned of age anybody he ever cared deeply for seemed to die. His parents, then a girl he had only gone on one date with but had been friends with many years prior and now the possibility of Cecily, he didn't want to risk the loss but it seemed he already had.

She turned back and fell lightly to her knees beside him. Wrapping her arms around him from the side, she gave him a light squeeze before putting them in her lap and laying her head on his shoulder. The night sounds of bull frogs croaking and crickets chirping filled the night. "When my mother became sick, the doctors told us she didn't have much time." Her soft voice drifted around them. "She went downhill so quickly. They started her on treatment." She tilted her head back. The stars over head were out in full force, no clouds in the sky to mar them. "My father would sit with her and just hold her hand. I didn't accept what they were saying though. How could I have all this magic pouring from these hands," she held them out in front of her, "and not be able to do something to save her?" Her hands lowered and laid in her lap once more. "I used everything I knew to do, every potion, every herb and tonic I could think of to give her. We don't know what turned it around for her at the end. She lay so still one night and my father came to me. We sat beneath the stars and he turned to me and said, 'Cecily, everybody dies.' That's it. That was his great advice to me." An owl hooted over head in the tree. "But it stuck with me. It changed how I looked at death and at life." She turned her head and looked into his eyes. "Don't dwell on what could happen Nicolas," she whispered. "The here and now, today, might be all we have. Wouldn't you rather make the most out of every moment we're here?"

Nicolas sat in solemn silence as Cecily returned, laid her head on his shoulder and spoke to him. He understood what she was saying, and understood her logic to some extent but didn't agree with it. How could he agree with something like that? He had lost everybody he had ever truly cared for less Cecily now and Sarah. Sarah was a distant friend to him now, he had burnt that bridge when his parents died, and now he only had Cecily. He knew she would die eventually, but he wasn't prepared to accept anything like death right now. He couldn't imagine it, he'd be more or less alone in the world again. He had his colleagues and a few acquaintances he could talk to about things, but there weren't many connections he made outside of work. "You can make the most out of every moment and remain cautious of certain things." Nicolas responded, deciding he didn't want to argue with Cecily about how she couldn't possibly imagine how he felt now, how he would if he lost her. Losing somebody you care for is always difficult, but when you lose nearly everyone you care for it's quite a different story.

She laid her hand on his cheek and brushed his hair gently back from his forehead, studying the man she loved. Her thoughts were drawn back to the empty room with a lone book in his house. It'd saddened her then that he'd had no family there to fill those rooms. He'd lost his family. She'd had a brush with death but her family had come out unscathed. She thought of what it would mean for her, if she were to lose him. It felt like someone had punched her in the stomach. She closed her eyes and impulsively hugged him.

Nicolas thought in silence after his last statement, unsure of what to say. When Cecily hugged him he too embraced her, glad for the moment of closer intimacy as his thoughts continued to wander. "Did you send that letter?" He decided to ask, not wanting to have Cecily dwell on his own worries which in time would pass to some extent.

She nodded her head against his shoulder. "I sent it before I came outside today."

"Didn't happen to mention my blowing up trees about it, did you?" Nicolas inquired with a slight smile, hoping that if she had it'd put the scare in him a little bit so he would leave her be or at least understand his bounds.

She laughed. "Although I wanted to, I didn't think it right to write about. I did tell him how upset we both were about his actions. I haven't got a reply from him yet." When he did respond, she'd also told him it'd better be with an apology and a promise to behave or she'd never speak with him again. Being friends since childhood had taught her how to handle her friend Edward. It should also teach him that she didn't play around or make idle threats.

"Well, I hope he decides that he was out of line." Nicolas stated, taking a sip of the wine he had left beside him. He then put his other arm around Cecily. "Thank you for this evening." he began with a smile, "I'm sorry if I've ruined it."

"I have a feeling he won't," she smirked. She relaxed against him when he put his arm around her. "You didn't ruin it. Any time I have with you is perfect," she grinned.

"Well we'll face that together later on if it happens." Nicolas stated in reference to Edward.

She nodded. She didn't think she had much to worry about where Edward was concerned. He would just have to live with the fact that she was with Nicolas and he would be damned happy that she was happy. Or else. She sighed.
"What are your plans this summer?"

"I don't have any as it stands. I'll probably go back home and just check up on things more." Nicolas stated with a shrug, "Do you?"

"Just visiting mum and dad. I'd like to take in a show or something entertaining." A bull frog gave a particularly loud croak which brought a giggle from her. "Feisty tonight, aren't they?"

"How're your parents doing?" Nicolas inquired when Cecily mentioned them, "Haven't used all of that potion yet, have they?" he added with a chuckle as Cecily mentioned the frogs. "I guess so."

She laughed. "They're doing wonderful. Mum wrote me and said they took a sip last month. Said they had the most perfect day out on the boat. Dad caught the biggest fish they'd ever seen and mum said it was the best she'd felt ever." She whispered, "I can't thank you enough for doing that for them."

"Well I'm glad to hear that." Nicolas began with a warm smile, trying to leave all other thoughts to when he wasn't with Cecily. "It was no problem really, I was half afraid it'd kill whoever drank it so I tested the brew myself before I put it in the vile." Nicolas explained with another small chuckle. He was normally confident in his potions ability but his training after school had mostly been in poisons, antidotes and of course truth serum when necessary, so luck potions weren't his field of expertise.

"How was your day when you tested it?" she asked curiously.

"Well, I didn't die. That's luck." Nicolas replied with a wink.

She laughed and nudged him. "Well that's a good thing then. I've kind of fond of you, you know," she teased.

"Yes, I suspected as much." Nicolas stated with a grin, "I'm kind of fond of me myself." He concluded with a wink.

"I can't wait for the summer break," she sighed. "Hot summer winds, sunshine, lounging around the lake...heaven."

Nicolas smiled for Cecily, glad that she was excited for her summer plans. Granted, he couldn't share her excitement as he was looking forward to nothing but two months to himself but he was happy for her.

"Soo..."she drawled out, slanting a mischievous look up at him. "Since I've only been to muggle beaches and the like, is it true?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back