Late picnic

Nicolas blinked a few times, perhaps it was just his mood today or perhaps that he was male but he hadn't found the joke funny in the slightest. He gave Cecily another smile similar the rest and set down his wine glass, unsure yet again of what to say. "Did Arithmos give you that one?" he finally inquired skeptically with a wink.

She smirked and considered him for a second. "No but Alicia told me this one." She leaned forward and whispered in his ear for a moment, sat back and nonchalantly picked up her plate and started eating again.

Nicolas raised his eyebrow at Cecily's joke, he probably would have normally reacted to it in some human way but his behavior today was different. Cecily and Alicia must be close because he couldn't imagine Alicia telling him such a joke. "That was... interesting." He stated with a smirk.

She grinned and ate a bit more. "I grew up around fishermen and then hung around Death Eaters. Trust me, I have more jokes stored up that I can't share in mixed company than a wizard has muggle money."

"I see." Nicolas began, archiving her statements for future thought. She had spent her whole life living with what might be considered the crudest type of people in both Wizard and Muggle cultures, criminals and fishermen, could she truly enjoy his company if it was different than that? And if she did, was he not that much different from those he sought to capture? "Well I'm sure they're more than funny."

She nodded, smiling. "Some of them are. Some of them aren't." She shrugged, picking at her food with her fork, not looking at him. "How's your dinner?"

"It's quite fine, I would compliment your cooking but the house elves prepared it." Nicolas stated with a wink, "Are you enjoying yours?"

She laughed softly. "Yes, I am." She set her plate aside and picked up her wine, sipping from it. She stared into the liquid, stealing glances at him. "Nicolas?"

"Yes?" Nicolas inquired, looking up and into Cecily's eyes. He figured he knew the question that was coming, unless Cecily had something she did want to tell him that she had previously neglected to share.

"What's wrong?" she asked simply, the concern she'd been trying to conceal coming forth in her expressive green eyes. "It's like you're a million miles away."

Nicolas had been in deep thought the entire evening yet he took great offense to the latter statement from Cecily. "I'm not a million miles away." He started firmly, looking down at his half empty glass of wine. "I'm here, I'm with you, I'm just in thought and if that's so very far away... well..." he stopped cold in his speech. Was he upset with Cecily? Partially, yes, despite her statement and intentions surely being harmless his thoughts were even with her, and their future or lack there of, and his present feelings of her and how much danger she could be in because of them. He knew she didn't know these things, but he felt she should.

"Nicolas-"she began then ended saying simply, "I'm sorry." She hesitantly reached out her hand and laid it gently against his cheek.

"It's alright Cecily." Nicolas replied with a slightly larger smile then previously, possibly caused by her touch. He knew he had over reacted to her statement, but it struck a nerve with him. It was an unfair assumption that his thoughts weren't with them. "I shouldn't have been as offended." he assured her, touching her hand with his to hold.

Her lips curved into a gentle smile. "Is there something wrong though? I'm here if you want to talk...and I'm still here if you don't," she smiled.

"Depends on what you mean by wrong." Nicolas stated with a slight shrug. "It's just that a lot has happened today which makes me have to think about a lot of different things." he explained, knowing now that there was no salvaging this evening or preventing Cecily from knowing his thoughts or fears.

"What happened?" she asked, concerned for him.

"Well, I told you I would be meeting with Sophia." Nicolas began, recollecting the day and all its events. "Well, she came to my office and we discussed my terms, she agreed to them and told me that she believed all memories of a sibling, a brother, had been altered. So her whole childhood. Lastly she asked that I reverse them as soon as possible, so I ended up reversing the charm today." He took a short pause in this part of his story, knowing that it wasn't quite the place for it but wanting to collect his thoughts. "She's fine now," he continued with a reassuring smile, "She stayed unconscious a little longer than what I had assumed normal but she's fine. She was right though, she has a brother." He then decided that this was enough to share with Cecily about his day so far, that if she wanted to know more she'd ask but that that was a fair chuck to swallow.

"That poor girl," she murmured, her eyes reflecting her horror over what she'd been through. Her heart went out to the young woman. "I'm certainly happy to hear that she is alright." She reached out and held his hand. "And you Nicolas? Are you alright?" she asked quietly.

"Yes, I'm fine. There's just a lot to think about now. I mean, her memories were happy, which has her very confused. But the problem is her father is a legimens, not a very good one from what I understand but one. If he knows I've reversed the charm for her then he could come after me again, and now not just as a direct attack toward me." Nicolas explained, looking deep into Cecily's eyes as he said this, hoping she would understand what he meant by what he had said, and hoping she'd be able to figure out thusly where his thoughts had been.

"Nothing will happen to me," she said firmly. "He can't get to me here and I rarely go to town. I'll be alright." Her last words were spoken softly.

Nicolas broke his gaze and shook his head, the castle was not nearly as safe as people liked to think it was. Death Eaters had come in and out, wandering its halls too many times in the past. Also, the Sophia's father works for the ministry where they're not aware of him being involved with any Death Eater activities. Lacking proof Nicolas couldn't convince them he was and so Sammael would be granted access to the castle on a whim.

"I taught a lesson on Boggarts today." Nicolas began, looking back to Cecily, this story tying into his former statement and worries. "I always give an example of what the students have to do to defeat a Boggart so I set the wardrobe in the centre of the room and opened it, allowing it to tell me what my greatest fear was." Nicolas continued, trying to think of what he wanted Cecily to understand from this. "I wasn't quite prepared for it this time, though." He admitted, recalling his shock when his worst fearr was not what it had been the previous four years. "Do you have any idea what the boggart became?" he asked her.

She shook her head, her hair swaying in the wind, watching him intently.

"Well, after a fair pause you came out of the closet and collapsed onto the floor." Nicolas stated as he watched Cecily for her reaction to this, wondering how she'd take something so seemingly silly and meaningful at the same time.

"Oh." Her eyes locked with his. "Nicolas I know you love me," she said with a small smile, her eyes lighting when she said 'love', "but why would you be afraid of me collapsing? I'm perfectly healthy."

"Cecily, you were dead." Nicolas stated firmly, having hoped to avoid putting it so bluntly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back