Straight
Wand
Straight 14" Flexible Larch Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
T H E H O G W A R T S M O N T H L Y: Y E A R 2 8 I S S U E 2

tumblr_ot1sylkrJq1w1znofo1_500.gif

L O V E A T H O G W A R T S

</FONT></SIZE></SIZE></SIZE></FONT></COLOR>
A​
while back the school was surrounded with roses and LOVE and happiness. Of course, I'm talking about the Valentines Dance. The Great Hall was decorated with splashes of red, white and pink and the long tables were replaced by smaller heart shaped tables, so there was plenty enough room for everyone to dance or to have a romantic chat close to each other. It was time to put your lovely dress back on or your suit and swoon away at this evening. I could talk all day about the clothes at the dance, and how I want to help some people with choosing their dress or suit for next year more carefully. So if you want some fashion advise, come and find me!

But now back to what I am assigned too. I'm gonna take a look at the couples at the Valentine Dance and compare them with the Yule Ball. Was there some drama between? Or had the love been always there? We are gonna find out!

Some of the couples stayed the same from Yule Ball to the Valentines Dance:
- Lyra Potter and James Cade
- Darcy Pratt and Olivia Havelock
- Zara Cohen-Knight and Xavier Jeffreys
- Clementine Pratt and Anthony Blade
- Joel Gilligan and Layla Reynes
- Madeline Walden and Aion Zephyr
- Evelyn Manning and Noah Kingsley (xox)
- Abel Farley and Sofia Rosenberg
- Kayleigh Hunter and Desislav Zhefarovich

But there were also a few couples that didn't stay together until the Valentine's Day Dance. Let's hope these will still be together until next Yule Ball. Let's take a look at some of the couples that were different from Yule Ball to Valentine's Dance:
- Elysia Styx and Zared Katsaros: Elysia and Zared went alone to the Yule Ball, but at Valentines Dance they seem to have found eachother.
- Elizabeth Wespurt, Aaron Walden and Leo Benivieni: This is a interesting one. Elizabeth went with Leo to the Yule Ball but to Valentine Dance with Aaron. What is the story behind that?
- Zenia Katsaros and Christian Kyle: This is a funny story. Zenia and Christian went together to the Yule Ball but for the Valentine Dance they didn't went at all. From different sources I've heard Zenia got punished by Kingsley for agressive behavior, so she couldn't attend unfortunately.

As we can see a lot of couples stayed together and let's hope that next year it will be the same.
Spread the love!​
Author: Evelyn Manning​
<i>
</i>

H E A D M I S T R E S S S P O T L I G H T

K A T H E R I N E A L I C A S T E L L
</COLOR>
tumblr_ot1udnxERY1w1znofo1_400.gif
Lennon: Hello Professor, how are you liking your first year as Headmistress so far?
Alicastell: I've enjoyed my time here overall. It's certainly had its ups and downs, but I'm looking forward to the future years to come.

L: What made you want to take on this position?
A: I've always had a history in education. In fact, this isn't the first time I've held a position at the school - quite some time ago I was a charms professor here. My life has always lead me back to educating in some form or another, whether I'm directly teaching a particular subject or not. I would say it's my true passion. When the opportunity to become a headmistress presented itself, I couldn't say no.

L: We'd like to know a bit of background on you, what did you do before this job?
A: Prior to his, I was the Head of Department for the Committee on Experimental Charms at the Ministry of Magic. I lead a team of talented witches and wizards who worked to create and monitor new spells on a regular basis. For the past few years I've also held a position on the Wizengamot, which I suppose contributed to my decision to take on a position here. It's disheartening to see young people fresh out of Hogwarts, or in some cases still enrolled appearing in court.

L: Can you tell us an interesting fact about you?
A: I can read runes upside-down.

L: Have there been any challenges to the job lately?
A: Of course. All jobs come with it's challenges, and heading a castle full of growing witches and wizards certainly has its fair share.

L: What do you think of all the unusually high amount of misbehavior from students this year? Do you think it's their way of welcoming you to the school or just something in the water this year?
A: I don't necessarily think it's either case. It can't be denied that the school has a history - I don't believe this type of behaviour is out of the ordinary in particular this year. Take our resident poltergeist as an example. A spirit manifested from chaos well before I took my position here. Perhaps there's been too much leniency in the past. That will no longer be the case. Misbehaviour will not be tolerated, and those who try to push the boundaries may find themselves looking to learn magic elsewhere - or not at all.

L: On a more positive note, what has been your favorite part of taking on this position so far?
A: I couldn't pin it to just one thing. Lately I enjoyed the wheelbarrow race, seeing students and staff alike interacting outside of the classroom and taking the time to just have fun. I'd like to see more enjoyable events like this, but that depends entirely on the behaviour of students in future. I've also been quite impressed by the tutoring program, and the willingness of students to help out those who are struggling. It's an important quality to have, and I can't wait to see more of it.

L: Lastly, what are your plans for Hogwarts in the future?
A: There's quite a lot to be done, though I don't want to reveal anything too soon. Expect many changes in the coming years.
Author: Lennon Cohen-Knight​
<i>
</i>

S T U D E N T S P O T L I G H T

R O R Y F E R G U S S O N

tumblr_ot1uebkuI91w1znofo1_400.gif
Sophie: Rory, want to be the spotlighted person in Hogwarts Monthly this month?
Rory: Not particularly, but I'll do it anyway. So long as it doesn't take too long.
S: Great, your enthusiasm is noted. Now I'm supposed to ask you some questions. So holidays are around the corner, what will you definitely not miss about Hogwarts when you're at home?
R: The people, like ah've got a few good pals, but the people here are the worst, they're disrespectful, loud, messy. There are kids who dinnae even like quidditch, so I definitely willnae miss the people
S: -muttering as she takes notes- So reasonable people that don't go crazy over a silly sport. I see, to each their own I suppose. Is there anything you're looking forward to in the next year?
R: Folk always go crazy over sport, it's a good sport, and ye should always support yer team, have some house pride and that. I have some good friends that I look forward tae seein' again, Flavio, Anabelle and the like. I am also look forward tae another quidditch tournament, slytherin's the best team so rather than not win because of some dumb hufflepuff chaser we'll win, and be the best team
S: Alright alright you like sports, this isn't Quidditch Monthly but Hogwarts Monthly. So... what's your favorite class? -pause- Flying doesn't count.
R: Maybe if ye were a quidditch monthly folk might actually read it. Flyin's awful anyway, I guess I quite like defence against the dark arts or something were ye cast spells, I like that aspect, lectures arenae my thing, they just send me right to sleep. So, probably defence against the dark arts is my favourite class
S: Well I doubt they'll be picking it up because of this riveting conversation, but we'll see. What's your least favorite then?
R: That's yer fault fae asking me. Least favourite's history of magic, just like why am I learning about Greek mythology, rather than the goblin wars.
S: You talked about House pride earlier, why is that important to you?"
R: Because I like winning, and you have to live with yer house fae seven years, might as well have some pride
S: So are you proud of your house's performance this year?
R: Could dae better, could dae worse, ah'm reasonably proud, we came back in quidditch, so there's no reason we couldnae come back fae where we are, so aye, reasonably proud
S: Well, that's surprisingly optimistic. I guess we're almost done. Is there anything you want to get off your chest for the three people that don't skim this segment?
R: Hufflepuff's awful, and if it's done, I'm off
S: Can't say I disagree, see you around.

Author: Sophie Wilson
<i>
</i>
D U E L I N G T O U R N A M E N T

</SIZE></SIZE>
A​
s a first year, I wasn't allowed to participate in the Dueling Tournament this year, so what better to do than write about it? I fully understand that each of the participants know more magic than I do, but that didn't stop me from mocking them when appropriate or even necessary. The Duelling Tournament is separated by year, which makes sense; a second year fighting a seventh year wouldn't be very fair. Probably entertaining to watch, but not very fair. Here are some highlights:

-Neither of the only two seventh year contestants even showing up to fight.
-Gryffindor third year Zenia Katsaros apparently forgetting she is a witch and attempting to physically hurt a Slytherin. (Spoiler: It did not go well for her.)
-Slytherin third year Solomon Mordaunt having trouble beating a Hufflepuff girl, only to be beaten easily by another Hufflepuff girl in his next match that lasted about three minutes. Free tip for anyone going into this next year: don't look at the audience when you're duelling someone.
-Third years Ryuu Arai and Clementine Pratt having the most civil duel in the history of duelling, disappointing many spectators that were just there to see blood.
-The look of utter confusion on Rory Fergusson's face as he had to duel the twin sister of a girl he duelled earlier. Apparently he doesn't pay a lot of attention to the people in his year. But to be fair, who has time to remember things like that?
-Fifth years Rudolf Lagowski and Matthew Harper deciding they needed to make the other look as ridiculous as possible. I have to say the one with the antlers won that particular competition, even if he lost the match.
-Second year Odette Harper resorting to petty insults to win her duel. (She did win, though, so it might be a good strategy?)
Watching all this made me decide once and for all that I'm never joining this tournament, though I might write about it again next year because watching it is quite enjoyable. I just don't understand the need for a tournament like this, is it really necessary to make students jinx each other until one is incapable of fighting more? It sounds to me like a disaster waiting to happen, but when it does: Hogwarts Monthly will be there for coverage.

And because some people might for some reason be interested in this, here are the winners of each year:
Second year: Odette Harper
Third year: Clementine Pratt
Fourth year: Bethany Zanders
Fifth year: Peyton Baird
Sixth year: Kayleigh Hunter
So now you all have a handy list of people not to pick fights with. I'd add Zenia to that list as well if I were you.

Author: Sophie Wilson
<i>
</i>
A H O G W A R T S T R A D I T I O N
T H E W H E E L B A R R O W R A C E

<SIZE size="150"><SIZE size="150">A​
fter many years, Hogwarts New Zealand's Staff versus Students Wheelbarrow Race was brought back to life by the Deputy Headmaster, Professor Justin Cliffeton. Almost everyone in the school participated and it proved to be a success, with quite a competition between the staff and the students right from years 1 to 7.

Fourteen teams showed up prepared to beat one another and I must say it was pretty amusing to watch Professor Pendleton push along little Professor Tuuri as the wheelbarrow. It was quite the sight but was also slightly disappointing they had not crossed the finish line first. Eventually, it were other members of staff who took the title of this year's champion.

In first place was Professor Kida Frost with Professor Aeon Summers as the Wheelbarrow. "My arms were killing me, haha," Professor Summers inquired the Hogwarts Monthly. "I was surprised we came first, I thought for sure we'd be beaten by some of the students at least. I guess I still have some youth in me!" he said.

Close behind were Slytherin Prefect Kayleigh Hunter and Gryffindor Seventh Year Desislav Zhefarovich who, unfortunately, were not fast enough to take the title themselves, but most definitely made everyone proud. They instead came in second place. "I think Desislav and Kayleigh were our biggest competitors," said Professor Summers, and I do not doubt that for one second.

Overall, despite how stupid everyone looked, and most probably felt, the important thing is that everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a great way for everyone to show off their athletic skills, even if they weren't very athletic at all, and everyone seemed to have lots of fun. So, congratulations to the staff for winning! Hopefully next year the students will be able to take the title as they surely deserve.

Author: Lilyanna Hope
<i>
</i>
[td]
Q U I D D I T C H A G A I N

A​
lthough I was unfairly banned from the Quidditch Pitch for the remainder of the semester (even though I have a right to protest!), I still had someone keep up with the results of the Quidditch matches to report for the Hogwarts Monthly.

Hufflepuff started off their season well with a victory against Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw's loss was probably due to such a young player being their Keeper. The sport really should have a higher age restriction because not only is it dangerous but they are not as prepared as older students may be, and put themselves at risk for more long-term injuries.

Then Gryffindor beat Slytherin. Hufflepuff beat Gryffindor. Slytherin beat Ravenclaw. But after that, Gryffindor and Slytherin's luck seemed to run out.

Both teams suffered a loss of players due to foul play in the Ravenclaw common room, so they were barred from playing the sport. Good thing too, because we do not need such vindictive, unpredictable people in the air who can pose a threat to student's safety.

Gryffindor did manage to beat Ravenclaw in their next game, but considering Ravenclaw was the worst team of the season, it wasn't saying much. And in the last game, though Slytherin won against Hufflepuff, they still lost the Cup. Bad luck all around.

The last match's results came as a surprise to everyone. Slytherin managed to catch the Snitch while Hufflepuff was up by 10 points, so the final score for that game was 10 to 150. However, in the overall standings of the year, those extra 10 points managed to put Hufflepuff in the lead, securing their victory as champions for the year. Had it not been for this loss, they would've been undefeated champions. I'm only surprised that no one got injured, that seems like a first for this heinous sport.

This year, the winning team not only got to win the cup, they also got to compete against another wizarding school. Hogwarts New Zealand invited Beauxbatons Academy of Magic to our school to play the sport in a spirit of friendly competition.

Hufflepuff proved to be victorious once again, which really comes as a shock to everyone because no one thought they had it in them. The game was over so quickly, the Beauxbatons players might as well not have come for such a waste of their time.

Such a shame that we waste our international magical cooperation efforts on Quidditch. Perhaps there would be better competitions we could implement to encourage magical cooperation with other schools such as a Wizards Chess Tournament or even an International Dueling Tournament since we already host one at Hogwarts.

<FONT font="verdana">Author: Lennon Cohen-Knight
<i>
</i>
[/td]
T O P T E N M O S T
F A S H I O N A B L E S T U D E N T S

<SIZE size="150">W​
hen we not wearing our school robes, we can wear our own clothes and to be honest I prefer that more. But when I walk down the halls I see outfits that I really like but also where I want to advise people to make it better. So many students and such many different styles, I like it! Here's a list of ten students that are best dressed around the school.

10. Marcos Morales
This boy is only a first year, but he is in my opinion better dressed than many more older students. With his Chilean roots he seems a real charmer. And I can see him becoming a known student around the school if he continues with the clothes he is wearing. Good job!

9. Camelia Kyle
What I really love and very happy can be about is when people dress different than others. And when you try it, it can fail very hard too, but this girl knows it. She is a second year and when I see her walk down the halls I turn my head around I become happy about what I see. She has different styles and I can see she is experimenting.

8. Lydia Archer
This girl is leaving us soon. She is a seventh years and she is just classy all the way. I love her dresses at every dance and the fact she has a very nice personality suits her very well. You can put on a dress but look grumpy at it, well I can say that makes you very ugly! But this girl's appearance makes me very happy. I'm gonna miss your pretty dresses next year!

7. Madeline Walden
This is our last Gryffindor on the list. Good job Gryffindor! The girl with this spot, who doesn't know her? She is a fifth year and when I see this girl she looks very pretty all the time. She has a great sense of fashion in my opinion and she has this girly vibe I really like. But just as with number nine on this list she experiments too, I can see that.

6. Matthew Harper
This one is someone who joined our school this year, but he really earned this place. He is a fifth year and comes from Ilvermorny, how cool! I don't know what it is with Hufflepuff students but Matthew looks very classy too. At the Yule Ball he had a amazing suit and I loved the white sneakers under it! I'm curious where he will suprise us with next year!

5. Noah Kingsley
The first Slytherin on this list is this lovely third year. If you look at the last name you know where he got the good looks from. He is just very mature for his age and has a great sense of fashion. His suits for every dance are just perfect. This year he had a grey suit and well I can say, you did well!

4. Amber Chou Wilson
The girl on this spot is a third year and the last Hufflepuff on this list. I come back to the be different part, and I'm not sure if she notices herself but she has a great sense of fashion. With her adorable looks you just know it is her. Her parents own a store for clothes, so she doesn't got it from someone strange.

3. Darcy Pratt
Another Slytherin on the list is a sixth year and I so love the clothes of this girl. She has a great sense for fashion in my opinion and I never had seen a misser with this girl. With her red long hair she is already someone that you can't miss. But as brunettes and blondes it is more easier to mix colours in our clothes with each other. For a red one so much harder in my opinion, so good job you made it in the top three!

2. Noemie Vanity
The only Ravenclaw on this list! So Ravenclaw you know what to do. This girl is a third year and just very pretty and wears a lot of white. She looks like a angel and has lovely looks. I know she likes fashion and reads a lot of magazines so she keeps busy with it. You earned this spot in the top three!

1. Cairo Savage
Than we come to the number one. It is a fifth year Slytherin and I just LOVE his looks. He knows what he needs to wear and how to do it. Other than the fact he is just very handsome with his white blonde hair he has different clothes than others. And they are all very fashionable in my opinion. He is the best dressed student by far. Congratulations!

Author: Evelyn Manning
<i>
</i>
A G O N Y A U N T

Dear Agony Aunt,

My life is over. The boy I like knows I like him, and there's nothing I can do! He's the worst person, and I don't know why I even like him. He won't stop jeering about it. How do I get away with murder? Or at least learn to ignore him?

-Love-Lost

Getting away with murder is easy. Make sure there are no fingerprints and hide the body in a secluded area. Freezing it will only delay decomposition and is stupid. Instead, you will need to burn the body if you really want to hide the evidence. How you do that is up to you.
Dear Agony Aunt,

My friend is going through a hard break up, and I don't know what to do. How can I show my friend that I'm there for her?

-Bad Friend

Tell her how horrible her ex partner was and make her feel proud that she isn't in such a toxic relationship anymore. If need be, try to distract her from thoughts of them by changing the subject and discussing the alignment of the stars.
<i></i>
Dear Agony Aunt,

I'm trying to learn to be proud of myself, because I know I'm a little hard on myself (everyone says so, anyway). I don't think I have low self esteem or anything, but I can't help but question myself ALL THE TIME. How do I learn to trust myself?

-Confused

You just need to ignore what everyone says and live life the way you want to as no one else really matters and they should mind their own business. Asking questions and reflecting on your actions is a good way to learn more about yourself and the things around you.
Dear Agony Aunt,

I'm still kind of new to all this 'boarding school' stuff, and it's hard for me to adapt. I come from a big, loving family that seems to be completely different to everyone else's families. I'm trying to find a friend that shares what I love and 'gets' me, but I'm scared that maybe I'm a bit too different to find like-minded people. I didn't realise I had a shell until I came here, and I miss having fun with my dad and siblings. What do I do?

-Sad and Alone

I understand that it's hard to make friends but being alone is not the worst thing in the world. After a while you will get used to it, but if you're really worried about it that much, I'd suggest trying to talk to some people. From what I've experienced, older people are much more mature and you should try talking to them.
Dear Aunt Meg,

My best friend is Muggle-born and my parents don't know. I'm a pure blood and my parents are super strict. Should I tell them about my best friend or should I keep the friendship a secret? I really don't want to lose them, but I have to respect my parents.

Your friend,
Distressed

Being a muggle-born would be a privilege and so I don't understand why people are so against them. Try to convince your parents that muggles live amazing lives and begin to discuss with them the importance of each muggle invention, even if you don't mention that they're muggle inventions. It might not always work but it's worth a try.
Author: Lilyanna Hope
H O R O S C O P E S F O R E V E R Y O N E

Capricorn: How the semester has flown by for you Capricorn! There's been so much keeping both your mind and hands busy. This is a good thing, keeping busy is opening doors, improving the relationships in your life, and leading to new people entering your life. You should remember Capricorn that while you are so busy to take time for yourself. Wake up a little earlier, have a nutritious and filling breakfast, go for a run and just ensure that you enjoy the moments that life is giving you. It is good to keep busy but remember to enjoy it. What good is all this fun and success if you don't appreciate it. Ensuring that you eat right, and have a little work out every other day will help ensure that people see how well you are doing.

Aquarius: A positive time has been had for you Aquarius, these new experiences and friendships are so rewarding. You've been doing well in your classes, the extracurriculars that you've been doing have positively impacted you. Likely Aquarius you feel that it might just be all taken away from you. That you are likely to lose it. The stars do not appear to indicate such an occurrence, however, to ensure that luck and positivity remains a part of you, it is good to remember that you can achieve these things yourself, continue to spend time with the important people, get rid of those negative people. Go for a light workout in the morning before you set about your day. Eat well and exercise will definitely help ensure this continued positivity.

Pisces: When it rains it pours doesn't it Pisces! There seems to be no end to this semester, to the annoying professors with all their homework. It just isn't what you expected it to be. But, remember Pisces that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, it may not happen today, or tomorrow, but it is there in the future. Make some new friends, complete a few pieces of work on time, try a new sport or club. Running is a great way to exercise and gives you something new to do. It can help you feel refreshed and motivated for upcoming day and that will help your life find a track where the rain is no longer fall. Trust me Pisces! The end of this bad luck will come soon.

Aries: The semester coming towards it's conclusion has filled many of you Aries with a small amount of fear of the future. Worry not Aries, for the stars indicate that you will be just fine. That all this hard work will pay off, you will succeed in your endeavours, you will do well in your classes, and you'll do well as time goes on. Perhaps some of the people around you haven't been helpful in your recent stress, remember that even if they've been a friend a while doesn't mean they can't become bad friends. Be sure to open yourself up to new opportunities and activities around the school. Be more active general, face these fears head or, or start working out each day to give yourself a clear headspace to face the issues. Don't worry Aries, allow yourself to be healthy, active and you'll see those fear dwindle away.

Taurus: Facing things head on has always worked very well for you in the past hasn't it Taurus, much like the bull, you waste little time in facing problems, but recently it has resulted in a way that you didn't imagine. You've been feeling ill at ease and nervous when you take steps. While your method is commendable Taurus, there are times when you need to take things on slowly. When thinking things over will give you the clearest picture of what you are facing. It will allow you some clarity with the people currently in your life, it will enable you to make new friends and open yourself up. Eat better, watch how you take care of yourself, this will translate in a clearer mind and an ability to better face the issues.

Gemini: Those friends around you have been lacking, Gemini, whether that be in support, or just being there to hang out, it hasn't been what you expected. This is because the stars indicate a change, they indicate a change in yourself that you've likely already been feeling. Open yourself up to your family, those truly closest to you, you'll see soon that those friends will venture off into their own pursuits, this will allow you to foster greater and more deep relationships with new people. Try out new clubs and activities, where plenty of opportunities will arise for friendship and for love. It is important to surround ourselves with good friends, but to not be blinded to their mistakes. Spend time with your family, reconnect with life, spend some time focusing on you, ran some laps, go for along swim in the lake. Take care of yourself, cut out the dead weight of friends and unhealthy habits and you will see fruitful results.

Cancer: There's a little uncertainty in your life currently Cancer, a little for some, and a lot for others. What is clear is that your usual ways of coping aren't working. Your friends have been a great help during this time but there is only so much that they can do. You should remain loyal and thankful to these people, they will continue to be great friends to you during this time. You may even find some new love within this time, whether that be a person or a hobby. Cancer open yourself up, change is hard but it can be for good. You might come out better because of it. Don't be afraid of this uncertainty, the stars indicate that it will be okay. You can help this by trying new things, being open to new people. Perhaps that can just mean making one change to your diet or a ten changes to your exercise routine.

Leo: You are a strong person Leo, this has been shown time and time again, you have been doing well, these new opportunities you've grabbed have served you right. They have given you more confidence in yourself, in your ability to do magic and grown your field of knowledge into areas they hadn't once been. This will keep going, you need to keep yourself open to new opportunities that might come your way as these too will benefit you, they will give you opportunities to make new friends and give a better chance when you leave school. Leo, you should also remember than in all of this success that it is because you did so, you took the opportunities and worked hard them. Everything takes work, whether that be motivating yourself to get healthy or in a class, if you don't work you magically get the results you want. Do not be complacent Leo.

Virgo: Virgo, what a time it has been! Filled with ups and downs of different magnitudes. This is a common thing in life, but it appears to you that you've just had it a lot worse recently than normal. Every up and down seemed bigger than the one before it. Life is a complicated thing, there is no rhyme or reason, but the stars sit in a way that for you Virgo, will at least cause life to settle. You can help this, relying up on the stars is but one step towards bettering yourself, in deal with each up and down. Eat better, a good diet will help you feel better overall, refreshed and ready for the day. Exercise more, there is a lot that keep fit can do for a person, it can also help keep the mind busy during the bad times and help build upon your confidence. Allow yourself to surrounded with friends, to take time away from studies to lean on a few close people. Things will settle Virgo.

Libra: Libra I can not stress enough how important it is to not just throw yourself into a task without first remembering to look after yourself. Whether that be in helping a dear friend or loved one, or if it be a new hobby or a particularly trick and interesting essay. You need to remember to take care of yourself, the result of your labour will only be decreased if you don't take the time for yourself. You are more use to people when you are well rested, well fed and healthy. Only then can your true capacity and ability be unlock. It is commendable Libra, but you should never forsake your own well being for others. Put a light run on your schedule for every morning and try to keep that up. It will help manage the time you have and remind you to take time just for you. Libra you are an excellent friend and student but you need to take care of yourself.

Scorpio: The grind for you continues Scorpio, while things haven't been bad, they've also felt rather boring, with not much happening. You feel that you've just gotten into a routine and you don't entire want that to continue as such. It's sometimes difficult to change up your life especially when life hasn't been going too terribly. The stars indicate that you can remain like this, or you can do something new. The best way to break out of a routine you don't like is to jump out of your comfort zone and into something new. Whether its something you've always wanted to try or something completely at random a new challenge could be exactly what you need. Other than that, there are things you can do, smaller ones, spending more time with friends, going to the quidditch pitch to fly around or to run laps, to make small changes to your diet. There are plenty of things that you can do to help yourself get out of this routine without it needing to be something of a grand gesture.

Sagittarius: It's been fun recently hasn't it Sagittarius! You've been neglecting those studies and going at it with those around you. Your friends have all provided such a fun and engaging time for you that those pesky classes have taken a back seat. There is nothing wrong with this, you've made countless new friends and had dozens of opportunities that you've taken head on. But remember that this is a school, and therefore while all that fun is great you should remember that those classes matter too. If your friend truly are as great as you think they are, they will respect that you want to focus on school and the studies you have and cut back on other things. Perhaps it just means rearranging things, organising healthy lunches that you can share or going outside for a run. Just because you need to focus on your studies doesn't mean that you automatically have to give up your social life Sagittarius, it is all about balance.

<SIZE size="50">Author: Noemie Vanity
<i>
</i>

S T U D E N T P O L L
<i>
</i>
Photographer: Caro Taylor
tc0WLVo.gif
QcjbXwE.gif
W548uje.gif
liSJcW8.gif
</COLOR>
Jessica Matthews
Slytherin First Year
"The Yule Ball was beautiful - but my personal favourite was the Valentine's Dance, thanks to the person I spent it with."
<i>
</i>
Jerara Tapsell
Ravenclaw Second Year
"I really like the Yuleball, it's always nice to be so fancy, plus I had a really great time at it this year, so that made it even better."
<i>
</i>
<COLOR color="#000">Clementine Pratt
Hufflepuff Third Year
"I think my favorite event is the Valentine's Day rose deliveries! Spreading love to their friends and seeing them get so excited when they receive a rose is the best part!"
<i>
</i>
Xavier Jeffreys
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
"I love the valentine's day roses. I got five roses this year, five!! It shows people you love them and the roses are pretty, I love sending them to my friends."
BYnRsd6.gif
q189gNd.gif
CPSlPsx.gif
pT4UVoK.gif
Stella Stilinski
Hufflepuff Fifth Year
"I think you're asking the wrong person? I dunno, the end of the year celebration. Hogwart's monthly? Didn't know such a thing existed."
Darcy Pratt
Slytherin Sixth Year
"I really like the Valentine's Dance, it's a lot of fun. Also... the Pride event that the Wild Patch hosts every year is really important..."
<COLOR color="#000">Alana Finch
Slytherin Seventh Year
"I'm gonna go with graduation, and not just because I'm graduating this year. I like hearing the speeches and seeing how excited everyone is for the future."​
<i>
</i>
Professor Landon Carter
Herbology Years 1-4
"Oh um, I don't really know. They're all really good but I guess my favourite is the Halloween feast as pumpkin is one of my favourite foods and the first years get to give some to the house elves that they've planted themselves."
[th colspan="4"]"What's your favourite event of the school year and why?"[/th]

Editor's Note: This was my first year of being editor of the Hogwarts Monthly and it was a stressful yet rewarding opportunity that I am grateful for. I hope you all enjoy the content that was created for students, by students. Professors may try to stop me us from protesting, but our voices can still be heard. Journalism exposes the truth of what everyone thinks which is why I try not to censor my staff's opinions.

<FONT font="verdana"><COLOR color="#000"><SIZE size="50">Editor: Lennon Cohen-Knight
<i>
</i>

OOCOut of Character:
Hello and welcome to the Cynical Monthly! xD A lot of the staff happens to be cynical characters so we can't help it but it's not all bad! :p All of the members who contributed to this are so great so please give your appreciation & respect to their work! :hug:

Matthew really enjoyed the Hogwarts Monthly paper, it was a cool idea he would have enjoyed participating in back at Ilvermorny if it had been there. Here, however, he didn't feel like he knew the school or the people well enough to even try. Even now as he read it he hardly recognized any of the people mentioned in the different pieces. It was amusing to him that the person writing the Quidditch piece didn't really seem to like the sport, that was kind of funny. Even with a cynical edge, he enjoyed reading about their victories, though it stung a bit to know he hadn't actually participated in any of them.

He was ready to close the paper, only skimming the top ten list, when his eye fell on his own name. He raised an eyebrow, he hadn't expected to be in this paper at all, but definitely not on a list of the most fashionable students. He blushed a bit as he read the piece and he looked who had written it, he was pretty sure he knew the girl from when she delivered a rose to him. How odd, he smiled to himself, this was something to tell Leah about. He was considered fashionable, how hilarious.

Sophie smirked as she picked up the second copy of Hogwarts Monthly she had been a part of, it still felt pretty awesome to see her name in print, and it was even better because Amber's face wasn't staring at her from the pages this time. She didn't care much about the piece about the dances or the interview with the headmistress, her own interview as pretty funny to see in print though. As she continued to read, it occured to her that so many of the people that worked on this were sort of similar to her. When she first applied, she had been sure she would have been the odd cynical one of the paper, but it seemed like most of them had that sort of streak. It made her feel somewhat included, which was pretty cool. She admired Lennon in particular for keeping his opinion about Quidditch clear, and not shying away from the less than pretty parts of the popular sport. Not that she would ever tell him that. But she sort of looked up to the older boy in a way. She really wanted to keep going with the paper, and hoped she would get to write a lot more for it in the coming years.

Alana had always enjoyed the Hogwarts Monthly and Rumor Has It. Rumor Has It was mostly ridiculous and sometimes funny, especially when she wasn't involved, but it served its purpose as entertainment. As she skimmed through Hogwarts Monthly this time, she was a bit disappointed. It felt more like Rumor Has It than ever before. Fluff pieces about love at the school dances and fashionable couples surrounded the more serious and, to Alana, important spotlights on the Headmistress and school events. Pieces were peppered with opinions and rumors of what might have gone down without any research to back it up. Having chosen journalism as a career, Alana had had begun her research, reading up on the subject wherever she could. Putting the paper down, she picked up her issue of The Daily Prophet. She'd been a subscriber for the least two years, though it was only in the last year that she's begun to actually pay attention to the articles, how they were written, and what point was trying to be made. Alana returned to her eggs and ignored the noise around her as she read.

Desislav saw his housemates reaching for the Hogwarts Monthly, but he was too busy reaching for food. He hadn't spotted Kayleigh this morning and figured she'd decided to sleep in. Figuring he'd bring her some food so she wouldn't be hangry later when breakfast wasn't served any longer, Desi reached for a waffle and wrapped it in a napkin. He also grabbed a copy of Hogwarts Monthly skipping by the first article which was about love. As his eyes moved towards the next article, he spotted his name and drifted back to the article. "Well duh" he murmured as the article mentioned he and Kayleigh had stayed together from one dance to the next. They'd been going to dances together for as long as he could remember. Skimming some more it wasn't long before he spotted his name again, this time in the wheelbarrow article. "Damn right we were" he said, a bit louder this time. Desi was still convinced the professors had cheated. How else could such old people beat a pair of teenagers? His dad was a quidditch player, and he was sure he could kick the guy's ass in a wheelbarrow race. Hands down.

Ignoring the Headmistress spotlight since he didn't care what she had to say since he'd be gone soon anyway, he moved on to the student one, nodding in agreement. Desi wasn't a quidditch fan. He'd seen firsthand the toll it could take on someone and didn't get why people got so crazy over it. Desi kept reading as he walked, noting that Kay had gotten another mention or two, and finally getting to the end when he reached Slytherin. He stopped someone, asking them to check if Kayleigh was inside and smirking when they gave him a skeptical look as he declared that it was just a waffle he was holding. Desi enjoyed when people thought he was up to something.

Amber liked reading Hogwarts Monthly, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Evelyn had written a few things. She was a bit sad she wasn't in the first one about couples, but she supposed she and Wyatt hadn't really been a couple yet even though they had gone to the Yule Ball together. They couldn't have gone to the Valentine's dance because of his punishment, though. Sadly.

She was delighted to see her name on the list of most fashionable students, and that was written by Evelyn too! She would have to thank her friend for this. Her nose wrinkled at the sight of Rory, gross. She didn't bother reading the interview, though she noticed Sophie had been the one to take it. Her sister was probably picking someone Amber didn't like on purpose, but Amber wouldn't bring it up with her. She really liked the student poll segment, seeing people she knew talk about different things was always fun. She also read her horoscope before folding the paper again.

Darcy picked up her copy of the Hogwarts Monthly because she had been briefly interviewed for it so she had to admit she was curious to see herself in the paper. However, she had been completely dumbfounded by all the other times she seemed to appear throughout the issue. It bothered her because she didn't like things like that being sprung up on her, but mostly because she hadn't been aware of how observant people were of her. She felt her cheeks go hot as she and Olivia were listed as a couple that had attended both dances together this year because she was barely getting comfortable with the idea of being so open with her, and now it was splashed all over the front page.

It stung slightly that Zara was listed right afterward with a boy she had never even heard of. She didn't know why it hurt so much but she supposed she should be happy that her friend had moved on from Asaiah especially after she'd heard what he and his friends had done to her and her common room. On the bright side, Darcy was slightly happy to see that she had been in the top three most fashionable students. Another one of those things she hadn't noticed people observed of her. Sometimes she still felt like a transfer student from Beauxbatons, but by the time she would graduate next year she would have spent more time at Hogwarts New Zealand than she did there. Darcy finished reading through the rest of the paper, even reading her horoscope and taking it to heart, smiling a little before she closed up the paper.

The blonde couldn't wait to read the end verison of Hogwarts Monthly. She enjoyed writing the articles it was just really her and she was glad she stayed to herself. She could write something else but Evelyn liked the truth and sometimes it wasn't nice but it was better than lies. It was lovely to read the top ten fashionable students but secretly she wanted to put herself into the list too, but that wasn't possible ofcourse. Evelyn was just happy with how she looked and why would you hide that? She was wondering what she would write in the next issue. Also she didn't saw rumour has it yet, and was wondering if that still had to come. It wasn't nice to be in there, but sometimes it was just funny to read. After reading the paper she took a sip of her tea and looked around if people were reading it too.

Noemie was always rather proud of the work she'd been doing over the last year for the monthly, and so she came to the great hall, knowing exactly what was waiting for her here. She sat down and picked up a copy of the monthly, flicking through it and giving her own section a little read before venturing into the other bits of it. Eventually she got to the best dressed section and was so surprised to find herself in the number two spot! She had no idea that she was worth of such a thing. The part veela smiled shyly before getting up from where she sat and found Evelyn in the hall. She walked over, "Evelyn!" she greeted warmly before taking a seat, "I didn't expect to be number two, you are too kind!" Noemie told her honestly. She had never expected to ever get such a position on such a list but Evelyn thought she did. She was honoured a little self conscious about it. She didn't think she dressed well at all, but she did make great efforts to make herself look nice, so maybe that was why. She just smiled at her friend, "I would've put you first, I wish my style was half as good as yours!"

Jerara walked into the great hall and took his seat at the ravenclaw table. He pulled a book out of his bag and had been about to start reading it when he noticed the hogwarts monthly sitting beside him. He decided to read it, after all, he'd answered a question for it, so he wanted to see if he had actually been included. He began reading, through the first few articles, the ones that he wasn't too interested in, after all, the yuleball to valentines day didn't interest him, he liked quidditch from a distance and still believed it overly dangerous but felt there was no way to change things. He frowned at the article about the boy that he and Tristan had poured red paint over. Eventually he got to the part that he had done, right at the very end and noticed his own picture and the words underneath it. he certainly hoped that Eleanor wouldn't mind him saying anything. He really did hope so. But he was happy, it had been a good read, a good way to spend his breakfast. He put down the monthly when he was done with it and began on the book he had meant to be reading. He felt better about the day, though the monthly could be said to be cynical he had thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lydia was pretty content with how things were going for her, her NEWTs and graduation were soon to be upon her but she was looking forward to it. The teen sat herself down in the great hall for a light breakfast before she got started on the day's studying. However, it wasn't long into her breakfast that she noticed that lots of people were reading one thing, and she picked it up hoping that it wouldn't be the another rumour has it. But it wasn't, it was another monthly. She smiled to herself as she began reading, a little surprised when she and felix weren't on the couples list, but she moved on, reading through the bits and pieces, finding it so filled with information and that she actually really liked that. Finally she came to the bit where she spotted her name, on the best dressed. Lydia laughed lightly to herself and then finished off reading, it was nice to be included but she didn't think it was right at all. She placed the magazine down and just went back to her reading, oh that was just so funny.

Marcos was content with sitting in the great hall, he had his breakfast in front of him and was penning a letter to his older sister. He was looking forward to going home, looking forward to spending time with his family, since he knew it was going to be great fun, that was until someone chucked him a hogwarts monthly magazine. He was surprised, since he'd noticed them upon walking in but he had no connect to it so he didn't spend much time concerning himself with it. But since it had been chucked in his direction he decided to read it. And that was how he realised he was mention as best dressed. The boy looked down at his clothes and smiled slightly, he had never really made much of an effort with his clothes but maybe he would in the future. Maybe he could try to make more of an effort. He didn't have much money to buy new clothes, but he wanted to make more of an effort especially if it got him some sort of recognition for it. He liked being recognised for it. It felt nice. His cheeks blushed lightly and he put down the monthly and went back to writing to Pia, now adding to it a little line about how best to dress, to make more of an effort in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back