Back to work

She smiled and nodded, she was feeling very light-headed. She walked down the hall where he had motioned to, and waited for him to come through. She kept her back strait, and didn't move it. All those years of etiquette classes had definitely paid off.

Gabriel went into the staff room with her and looked through the fridge, passing her some fruit juice and a slice of boston bun. "Are you feeling okay? If it's too much, we can stop, and you can come back in a few days to have more work done. Tattooing can go as fast or slow as you like." He smiled, getting some juice for himself.

"I feel fine. I've lost a lot more blood then this." She smiled and took the food and drink gratefully. "So anyways, what have you been up to besides work?"

Gabriel nodded, smiling. "Fair enough. Just let me know if you feel really faint, and we'll stop." He grinned.

"Besides work?" He thought. "Not much. Just getting used to my new flat. It's nice, but kinda lonely living alone." He smiled.

"Ah i see, well who knows, it might get better." She smiled. "You can always come hang with me, and help me decorate." She kidded to him. She had a lot of work to do at home, but that would have to wait.

He laughed. "I'm always up for decorating. God knows my flat is far too fancy." He grinned, thinking of the brightly coloured posters, paintings, and photos that covered every inch of the walls at his house.

"I'd like to see it sometime. I can just imagine the rainbow pattern wall paper." She smiled. "That gives me an idea, i'm going to paint my house, in RAINBOW!" She shouted the last part and put a bit grin on her face. She quickly stowed it away to a small smile though, since she wasn't supposed to grin like that.

Gabriel laughed. "Only in the bathroom. Every other room is covered in posters and pictures." He grinned. "I like things bright." Gabriel laughed loudly when Sarah announced she was going to paint her house rainbow. "That sounds like an AWESOME idea! I'll definitely have to come help out." He smiled.

She started to laugh. he was so amazing, and a very bright and cheery person. it reminded her of her brother. "So you knew Angela." She asked, looking at her drink.

"Kind of... He was a few years ahead of me, so we didn't really talk much. He was always nice though." Gabriel smiled, finishing his juice and putting the cup in the sink.

She took a big gulp of the drink and then put the now empty cup in the sink. "Yeah, that's him. He was the nicest guy in the world. unless you messed with me of course."

Gabriel chuckled. "He sounds like a great brother to me." He smiled. He had often wondered what kind of big brother he would have been if his dad had lived long enough for him and Gabriel's mum to have more kids. He had decided in the end that he would be an awful big brother and probably tease them relentlessly. Or possibly be a bad-influence big brother and get kicked out of home for scaring the weans. Either way, bad ending. Gabriel couldn't imagine what kind of terrifying father he would be.

"Yeah he was. He took care of the whole family, since we were mostly poor. It wasn't until me and my brother started doing contests that we got good money." She smiled. Dancing with her brother was so much fun. "Anyways..." She ate the rest of her snack and smiled.

Gabriel nodded. He could understand the whole poor thing; growing up on a nurse's salary wasn't exactly luxurious. "Contests? In what?" He couldn't help being curious; it sounded interesting. He had considered entering talent contests a few times, but had always passed up the opportunity because he hated his voice.

"So how long have you been in New Zealand, anyway?" Gabriel asked, changing the subject. He couldn't remember if he had asked already or not, but if Sarah was still decorating her house she could have just moved recently.

She smiled. "We did dancing together. He died two days before our last competition together. i was 17, we were almost too old for them." She smiled sadly. It had been devastating to her. She had went on with her other partner, but broke down in mid dance. She had wanted to win so bad, just to show her brother she could be strong.

"I moved not to long ago, about a month actually." She said, recognizing the change-of-subject trick.

Gabriel nodded sadly. "What kind of dancing did you guys do?" He asked, not being able to guess. Gabriel didn't know a lot about dancing; growing up, he had pretty much regarded dancing as something for sissies and girls, and had never gotten into it himself.

"Cool." He smiled. "Are you liking NZ? It's pretty gorgeous." Gabriel grinned, feeling the familiar rush of pride in his country every New Zealander felt when talking to a foreigner.

She grinned. "All kinds. We did tango, flamenco, and our own styles even. We one first place in eight or nine competitions. There was one each season." She smiled, she loved dancing. "Then after he died, i did something i had never done before. I went on stage and sang, just for him. He had always wanted me to." She realized that she was talking about herself a lot. "What about you?

"Yeah it's pretty here. and the people are nice."

Gabriel nodded. "Wow... you must be really good. You should teach me to dance - I'm rubbish." He laughed.

He nodded again when she mentioned the singing. "That sounds really nice." He smiled. "I could never sing alone on stage."

"Me?" Gabriel blinked. "Nah - I've never had the courage to do anything like that. Besides, I'm crap at everything except tattooing, and I can hardly do that on stage, can I?" He smiled.

He grinned when she complimented New Zealand. "I know... I love it here. It's so beautiful, and relaxed about everything."

"We were amazing together." Seh said, then he popped a question she hadn't heard in a while. "I would L-O-V-E to! I haven't had a good dance partner in a long while!" She said excited. He then mentioned not having courage.

"Well you are an amazing singer, i would love for you to preform with me." She said sweetly. Sometimes people just needed a confidence boost.

Gabriel grinned. "Don't expect me to be a good dance partner at all. I'll probably manage to step on both of your feet, both of my feet, and then topple over and hit my head in the first ten minutes." He laughed.

Gabriel laughed embarassedly. "I can guarantee I'll degrade to mumbling within a few minutes. I have zero confidence in front of an audience." He laughed.

She smiled. "I sucked at dancing when i started. And the confidence thing, is all in your head. If you need to, while you're onstage, i want you to think that it's just me there. You'd be great." She smiled.

Gabriel smiled. "That might just do the trick." Suddenly unsure what to say, his natural awkwardness took over. "Do... you feel well enough to keep working on the tattoo?"

"Yeah i feel completely fine." She said. her hotheadedness was gone. It might have been because she hadn't eaten all day.

Gabriel nodded. "Remember we can stop whenever you want, if it's hurting too much just let me know." He smiled, putting Sarah's juice cup in the sink, and heading back to the tattooing room.

"No i actually feel fine. And my back is still numb, so that's cool!" She smiled and followed him back to the room. "I bet it's going to be hard to get dressed though." She giggled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back