Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Last year, Ainsley had been too unsettled in her new home to attend a feast for a holiday she and Mum had never celebrated before, but this year she found herself glad that she was attending with Amber. The matching costumes made it that much more fun, and she linked arms with Amber cheerfully as they headed down to the hall, careful not to crinkle her friend's beautiful dress as she touched it.

When they entered the hall, Ainsley couldn't hold back a surprised gasp. Everyone looked so different, all bright and spooky and costumed. It was a whole new kind of magic, different to the kind she had come to understand here, and so exciting and refreshing. "Oh wow, everyone looks amazing!" Ainsley breathed excitedly, leaning closer to Amber and bouncing on her toes a little, still careful not to rumple her friend's dress. Ainsley still didn't understand what Amber found so important about clothes most of the time, but there were times when Amber was so put together and perfect it took Ainsley's breath away, and today she looked especially stunning, and Ainsley could begin to understand why her friend found clothes so important.

During her first year at Hogwarts, Amber hadn't dressed up for Halloween. She had still been new at the school and she hadn't been prepared. She hadn't had a costume, and also didn't really have anything to make one with. But this year was different, she wanted to impress people and look cute so she had prepared one carefully. She felt very pretty as she walked into the great hall in her dress, especially next to Ainsley. She knew that Ainsley would probably draw everyone's eye, she was so tall and pretty and had such beautiful hair, but she also knew that together they looked a lot beter than apart. Two dolls. A set.

She giggled at Ainsley gasp, feeling very much the same way. Seeing everyone around them in costume was so much fun! She wanted to go up to at least ten people to compliment them on their costume, but decided to stay at Ainsley's side for now. "Everyone DOES look amazing." She said happily. "Oh, wow. Why can't people dress up every day?" The creations around them were so beautiful and creative, some people put even more effort into it than Amber had! She beamed and took Ainsley's hand to lead her over to the Hufflepuff table. As much as she liked admiring everyone's costumes, she wanted to eat too.

Ainsley's heart fluttered with happiness as Amber took her hand, and she followed her friend over to the table contentedly, bare feet padding across the cool floor. Ainsley was torn between wanting to watch Amber, and wanting to stare around at all the costumes filing the hall, her head awkwardly flicking from place to place as she tried to see as much as was possible at once.

Ainsley's face fell slightly as she had to let go of Amber's hand to sit down, though the food quickly distracted her. The combination of sights and sounds and smells all happening around her at once felt like a wave, a layer of pressure, of things happening all around at once, with no distinction or guidance or way to tune it out and focus. Hands twitching a bit and knee bouncing anxiously, Ainsley ruffled her hair up to cover her face, hiding behind it like a curtain to block out at least some of the sounds and sights, but there was still so much happening everywhere. Hesitating for a second, Ainsley leaned on Amber slightly, hoping her friend would pick up the signs of her discomfort without her having to say anything. Being able to lean on Amber was a slight comfort, the reminder that her friend would always look after her in situations like these where Ainsley didn't know what to do easing at least some of her tension.

Amber noticed how Ainsley tensed as they sat down and she looked at her friend anxiously. What was wrong? Too many people? Too many strangers? Did she want to go? Amber didn't want to leave yet, but she would if Ainsley needed her to. That's what friends did.

She gently put her hand on Ainsley's arm. "Are you alright?" She whispered, unable to see her face with her hair hiding it. She let her friend lean on her, hoping it would help a little. "Is it too much? Do you want to go back to the Common Room? We could take some food up there if you wanted." Her voice was gentle and soft and she squeezed Ainsley's arm a little bit, hoping she was helping at least somewhat.

Ainsley took a few deep, slow breaths, trying to calm down and focus, to draw her senses back and just be aware of herself and her friend, Amber's soft hand on Ainsley's arm helping to ground her. After a few moments of breathing Ainsley began to manage to think past all the noise and bustle and crowding. She relaxed slightly and peered out past her hair at Amber, though the rapid bouncing of her knee didn't stop yet, helping to keep her calm and release the spare energy. "I... I'm okay." Ainsley said softly after a moment. "Sorry, it's just... a lot of noise, things happening..."

Taking a couple of breaths, Ainsley brushed her hair back again, enough to be able to see the table, focusing on one thing at a time for now. "We should eat..." She said softly, trying to stay relaxed. "Thanks..."

It was a relief to see Ainsley calm down a little, and Amber kept murmuring to her soothingly. It pained her to see her friend so unnerved and scared, but she could only hope her presence was helping her. Ainsely explained herself and Amber nodded slowly. "I know, it's a lot. Everyone's wearing different things and people are making lots of noise... But it's just Hogwarts, just the same. I promise." She met her friends' eye and gave her a small, encouraging smile.

Her smile widened when Ainsley brushed her hair back again. As pretty as her red hair was, her face was even prettier. Amber still wanted to be cautious, though. "Are you sure you want to stay?" She asked again. "Just remember that we can leave anytime." Even as she said it, she looked around at everyone else. It wasn't bad to stay close to Ainsley at a time like this, but she also wanted to socialize a bit. But for now, staying with her friend was more important.

Ainsley met Amber's smile with a small one of her own, gradually relaxing as she managed to slowly adjust. "I'm fine now, it's... I just needed a moment." She said, already quiet voice softer than usual. She turned her attention to the table, slowly beginning to fill her plate, focusing on the activity to keep herself calm and focused.

Ainsley was surprised when Amber mentioned leaving, shaking her head urgently. "No! I want to stay, this is so fun and everyone looks so pretty, it's just... there's a lot of it, it's... I can't switch the noise off but it's a party, parties are fun, I want to stay and have fun." She smiled encouragingly, trying to convince Amber that she was really fine now. "After we've eaten let's go dance, okay? I bet we'll look extra pretty, we can try to dance like the way dolls would move..."

As Ainsley assured her she was fine now, Amber relaxed a little bit. It was nice to just spend time with her friend and she was glad they didn't have to stop earlier. She started filling her own plate, careful not to make moves that were too sudden or fast. Ainsley was so nervous, she didn't want to add to it.

It was a relief that Ainsley really wanted to stay, and Amber grinned at her. "I like it too, we should have a ton of fun together." She said eagerly. "Dancing sounds like lots of fun! We could do the doll like moves too, I bet we'll look spooky." She giggled at the idea of them being scary. "But lets eat a bit first and look around, do you see any costumes you like?"

Ainsley clapped her hands softly, delighted. "Yes! We'll look like spooky haunted dolls, I love it!" She smiled, chatting in between bites as she began digging in to her food. "You know, I used to have lots of books that had haunted dolls in them, I don't know why so many people think ghosts like to live in dolls. Do you think they do? Maybe we should ask one of the ghosts, or look in a book, I don't know why they would like dolls so much... I mean, I guess they're people shaped, but they're so little and the haunted ones always seem to be babies. I think it would be more sensible to haunt one of the big people figures they put clothes on in shops, they're closer to the right size and you could probably have a lot more fun haunting something that sits in the middle of a busy shop than a boring old doll..." Ainsley rambled ponderously, mind wandering now that she felt more settled.

Amber's question about costumes gave Ainsley pause and she peered around a little, peeking past her hair. "I, um... oh, that girl looks like a lion, that's cool!" She beamed, eyes pausing on an older girl for a little before looking around more. "Everyone looks so different, they're all so creative... it's sort of like being in a hundred different movies all at once..."

Amber listened to Ainsley wondering out loud about haunted dolls and laughed a little. "I think maybe once it worked one time, other people realized it scared people and started using it too to scare people and then it became a common thing? Could that have happened?" She asked gently. She wasn't as curious about the world as Ainsley often was, but she still liked to talk to her when she wondered these kinds of things. It often made her see things in ways she normally wouldn't.

Amber followed her gaze to the lion and smiled. "Wow, that is cool! And I can see a professor that's dressed like grapes! That's so funny." She giggled. "And is that one in his pajamas?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back