Open WPC Y36 S1 Event - The Great Bee House Swarming šŸ

Aubrey had never felt more overwhelmed in her entire life. She hated it, she felt unbelievably alone and she didn't know what to do. But did she show any of that? No, she held her head high as she walked into the wild patch club. She had to do well here, she had to make @Thaddeus Miller proud of her. She would be the best if it killed her, but the idea was so overwhelming to her... the quidditch team was nearly impossible to get on, there were so many kids in her classes she was sure no one even knew her face. She listened as a few boys talked about painting beehives. Painting? She didn't know anything about painting. Or building beehives. Not wanting to mess up a painting, she set to work, keeping her head down and building the beehives.

Mary Lou wasn't sure what on Earth had possessed her to sign up for so many clubs, but she now had a lot of meetings she had to attend and a bunch of people she would need to get to know and interact with in a time when she really didn't want to interact with anyone. As she walked into the Garden with the other students and headed to the section designated for the Wild Patch Club, she stayed a little to herself, not really sure what to do first. The Leader, Elliot, mentioned they would be building hives and so when they were allowed to, Mary Lou moved off on her own to sit by herself and build something. She had never built anything before, but, if it was anything like baking, she was sure she could figure it out because she was good a building cakes and this was really only an extra step, wasn't it?​

Ajaccio glanced up as he spotted Lysander approach him, ā€Hey!ā€ he greeted warmly, it was always a good thing to see friends. He nodded at the question, ā€Sure!ā€ he decided it would be useful to have another person with him, who could maybe apply the glue while he held the pieces together. ā€If I hold it together, you can glue?ā€ he said, thinking that would be a good way for them to split the work here. They would be able to put it together a little easier, though he didnā€™t think it would need too much work, it was a school club event they didnā€™t need to go all out for it. He brushed some of the hair from his face and chuckled, ā€Kinda wish Iā€™d brought a head band,ā€

Nikola was looking forward to the Wild Patch Club meeting, though he wasn't sure what they would be doing. He hoped it would be something along the lines of discussing flowers or something. That seemed most appropriate, anyway. The titles of the club members were kind of nice and he rather liked them. When the option of painting came up, he already knew his answer. He was definitely going to be a better painter than anything else, and that was when he spotted @Saira Lykims. The young Ravenclaw smiled at the familiar face. "I'm going to be painting," he answered, finding it convenient that they would both be doing the same thing. "I'll join you," he added, carrying cans himself and following her to the boxes. Saira seemed to be painting daises and images of the cosmos, which was rather similar to himself. Being an avid stargazer, he liked the idea of that being reflected in his work, so he worked on a dark blue background with several white splotches spread around, and an awkward flick of the brush to signify a comet. It wasn't to the quality of his uncle, but his uncle was a professional painter and Nikola was lucky to touch a brush once a month. he felt his effort was decent.

Bada was glad Elliot was the leader of the Wild Patch. It made her feel much more comfortable attending knowing a friend was in charge and at first it seemed like mostly younger students came to their first meeting. This made Bada a bit nervous that maybe this meeting was for just the younger years. But her nerves calmed down a bit as she noticed quite a few of the prefects in the others houses start showing up. She was very surprised to see Aonghas come as well. She wasn't quite sure how well their last conversation had gone. During their younger years it had been nearly impossible to really understand what he was saying most of the time. A language barrier that she hoped wouldn't be an issue now. So as Elliot gave the go ahead she found some paint and a beehive house to paint and headed over to @Aonghas Fergusson. "Hello, how're you doing?" She said putting her supplies down across the space from her housemate.

Ana Sofia had already started on trying to put the first two pieces together when Rose said she didn't feel like helping. Even though the other girl said she didn't want to disappoint her, she still slightly was. She tried to hide it though, not wanting to make her friend feel bad. "I know." She nodded when Rose mentioned not liking arts and crafts. "But, like, it has a goal! I mean we'll help make houses for the bees and in return they'll be good for the flowers." She smiled, not wanting to push her friend into doing something she didn't like but also wondering if perhaps she could change her mind about helping anyways. "I mean think about how happy they'll be with a beautifully painted house!" She excitedly clasped her hands together, smiling brightly at Rose at the thought of painting the entire box. "Okay.." Ana pouted when her friend said she could just sit next to her and talk while Ana made the box. "But you have to promise to paint your name on it yourself." She added. "Not let me do it, even if I have a good idea for it." @Rosemarie Chatwin

Aonghas glanced up and gave a weak smile to Bada, he knew that their relationship was strained, almost possible friends, but it had always been prevented by the language barrier, and unhelped by his accent. Heā€™d after a certain point just decided to not bother spending the time with her, if he couldnā€™t be understood and it was just frustrating and embarrassing why bother. He gave a little shrug at the question and dipped the paint brush back into the paint before replying, ā€Iā€™m doing okay,ā€ he seemed to expressly be trying to minimise his accent as he spoke to her, though the harsh, thick accent was difficult to really suppress after so many years. ā€How are you?ā€ he returned to her as he began brushing the paint over the beehive. He hadnā€™t been the most honest with her about how he was, but he knew it didnā€™t matter.

Selene made her way to the grounds for the wild patch club event. she liked the idea of beehives. they had had beehives back at home when she had been growing up. the honey from them had always been sweet and they had used it in some their lotions. however, the thing she remembered most about them was the tradition of telling the bees. whenever something important happened they were encouraged to go and tell the bees. sometimes she would go out to the hives in the early sawn light and tell them her nightmares as she didn't want to scare helia with them and her mum would always pull a weird face then she talked about them. she found it helped. after telling the bees her worries she could go back inside and get some sleep.
She looked at the group and listened as the directions wre explained. after helping construct one of the hives she made her way over to where lars was painting. "wow those sunflowers are really pretty" she said smiling at the bright yellow plants on the box. "the bees will wonder why there is no pollen in them" she said. before picking up a paintbrush and one ont of the other sides of the on the sloping roof she started to write in her neatest calligraphy. "What will you tell the bees?" before putting her name in smaller writing underneath.
@Lars van Houten

Lars had gotten pretty caught up in his painting, so he looked up in alarm when Selene approached him. he had thought for a moment it was Elliot, and his shoulders sagged in relief when he saw it was his fellow prefect instead. He smiled a little, moving to the side so she could join him. "Thank you." He said, then paused. "Do you think its cruel to paint flowers on the beehive?" He added, glancing at his painting. He hadn't thought about that. He looked at what Selene had written, and frowned a bit. "What does that mean?" He asked her quietly.

@Selene Le Fey

Bada realized how long it had actually been since she had a conversation with Aonghas once she said hello to him now. It made her feel a bit awkward but she decided to stick to it knowing she shouldn't go and bother Elliot with all the people surrounding him at the moment. She did hope to speak to her friend at some point, hopefully they could set up a time for later in the semester they could study together since she knew grades were pretty important to him as well. "Yes? Good, I'm good," Bada replied with a light smile glad to hear he was doing well and hoped it was true. He seemed like a nice person when they had met in first year in the common room. She wished she had had a better grasp of the English language back then, it might have helped her understand him with his accent then. "Have you been in the club many years? I just decided to join this year, I thought I should have some fun before seventh year comes around."

Aonghas nodded lightly as she replied that she was good. He wondered if it was actually good, or the same way Lauren had always said she was good when sometimes the alternative was actually true. But, she had always seemed fine, and from what he knew she had a pretty solid family. He gave a little shrug and a little smile graced his features, as if he knew something she didnā€™t. But he stopped painting to answer, ā€Ah joined in first year,ā€ he said, he didnā€™t want to go into the why or any of the reasons, ā€Stuck around ever since, makes fae a nice change from studyinā€™ā€ he replied. He knew he didnā€™t need to study, but he always did and he always tried to give it his best effort, but he found it hard. He knew it was pointless and the harder he tried to work the more his mind reminded him of how pointless it really was. Especially given that if he didnā€™t intend to sit the NEWTs, the OWLs werenā€™t going to be that important either. ā€How are ye feelinā€™ about the OWLs?ā€ he was still very expressly trying to dull his own accent as he spoke to her, and truly hoped it wasnā€™t too obvious.

Selene shook her head when lars asked if it was cruel to paint the beehives with flowers. "No. anything would be proud to live in such a well decorated house" she said.
when lars asked what her writing meant she thought for a second. wasn't this a well-known tradition? was it just one of her families reied myths? "Where I grew up it was a tradition that you had to let the bees know about any major life event. like births, deaths marriages. of you didn't tell them they would get upset and not make any honey." she said. "I used to tell them a lot more than that. tell them about my good days and bad dreams. It made me feel better without upsetting helia or making mum look at me funny and change the subject" she said looking back at her work. "It was like they took the nightmares away and used them to make them sweet honey" she added. realising that she may have said a little more than she had intended. maybe it was a silly thing to put on the hive.
@Lars van Houten

Rosemarie loved digging out the weeds and removing bugs from the plants. The actual gardening was amazing and gave her tons of energy. ''That is true, bees are good.'' Rose mused ''They will be overjoyed to be in a real Ana Burleigh'' She said it as an real artists name. She watched as Ana was painting, it was looking amazing. ''Make sure you don't paint the inside, bees don't like that.'' She said while Ana was painting the most intricate things one it. Bees couldn't even see all colours, she was pretty sure they could only see about four of them. ''I will sign my name on the box, even if your idea is way better'' Rose laughed. 'She found a big slug in one of the plants and showed it to Ana. ''Ew, look at this bugger'' it looks disgusting. She didn't mind animals, but animals that ate plants weren't her favourites. @Ana Sofia Burleigh

Bada was glad @Aonghas Fergusson hadn't stopped to correct anything she said. She hoped it meant her English was very good and she wasn't making any obvious mistakes. She had a much better grasp on the language now that she was older and spoke in it most of the time. She only found herself at school speaking Korean whenever she was around Tyler Lee, but that was because he understood most of what she'd say. Otherwise she spoke English and she even thought in English as well which had been a very strange change for her mind. No longer was she having to translate everything into Korean in her head but now she just understood most things from the start. "That's really neat, I wish I had been more willing to join clubs earlier, I..struggled you know with English and clubs made me feel nervous having to talk to more people," she said a little more shyly than she been speaking before. She was nervous for the OWLs but she wasn't sure she wanted to admit that. "I think they'll go well, not taking all them but I do like the classes I'm in, so that help. I wish we did not need to wait till the year end to take them, it'll be hard to remember everything from this semester then," she said as she painted the box in front of her, slowly working and painting a scene of a tree with a sunrise.

Aonghas nodded as she said she hadnā€™t joined many clubs because of the language barrier. Aonghas knew he wasnā€™t always well understood by his roommates or peers and though heā€™d been in New Zealand a while he had never tried to change his accent or make it any more neutral. Heā€™d been stubborn. Now, he did give some attempts and but he knew that it was pretty late and it wouldnā€™t matter. He gave a little smile at her, he thought about saying that more clubs wouldā€™ve immersed her more in the language but that felt rather silly to say. ā€Never too late, weā€™ve still got a couple of years left here,ā€ he said, again smiling in a manner like he knew something she didnā€™t, but it was only because he didnā€™t intend to come back after sixth year, so he had less than a couple of years left. He nodded as she explained how she was feeling about OWLs, he wasnā€™t so concerned about his own, though he did want to do well, he just was sure it wouldnā€™t matter at all. He nodded, ā€Aye the end ae yearā€™s gonna be hell,ā€ he agreed that much was true even for him. ā€Youā€™re really good at painting,ā€ he motioned to what she was doing, it was really cool.

Bada couldn't imagine how quickly time was going the older they got. She supposed it was because her measure of time that she was basing the speed on was getting longer. So it always seemed as though the years were going much faster. But Aonghas was right there were only a few years left of school and then they'd be out on their own getting jobs. "I should've started earlier," she said shrugging her shoulders referring to be in clubs. She missed out she felt at least, painting here with the Wild Patch was actually relaxing. She smiled at the compliment noting the mistakes she had made in her head and deciding to not point them out verbally. "Thank you, I like your style," she said pointing over to the way he was painting.
@Aonghas Fergusson

Aonghas shrugged in response, "Cannae be easy tae involve yerself if english isnae yer first language," he countered with a little shrug, again, attempting to keep all of the heaviness out of his accent as he spoke to her. Knowing he found it difficult, "Ah mean, technically ah speak english but some folk have real trouble understandin' me, so cannae imagine how it was fae ye," Aonghas said to her with a little shrug. He looked at his own attempt and laughed lightly, "Aye sure, ah'll give up ma family title now, and just become an artist right?" he joked with her. He knew she was being nice, but he thought it would be easier to just joke with her.

Bada was one of those who had trouble understanding what Aonghas said. Of course it was easier now but as he began to speak more his accent began to take over his language again. She wondered if he must have been thinking and trying hard to not speak with a heavy accent before and now that their conversation was more comfortable he wasn't as trying or maybe he was using it more to prove the point to what he was saying. Either way it made it more difficult for Bada to understand but she got much more of it than she would have five years ago. "The most strange moment I had was when I think in English for the first time. I was talking and conversation with someone and then my thoughts were English and I was not translating everything to Korean and back," she said. It had been a very strange experience that she hadn't even noticed at first. "You have a family title? Would that be as in Lord?" Bada asked a little confused by his meaning just then.
@Aonghas Fergusson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back