Wizarding World Schools

Thorine Dolohov said:
should we pull up a chair boys :-?
I'm just going by what the creator of the hypothetical universe has put down and apparently that's a problem. :-0

yes but with all the Irish children that are about isn't there then a very small number in attendance at Hogwarts? That we know about of course.
which leads me to believe that there aren't that many wizards and witches about to make up the numbers, hence why Ireland doesn't have it's own school it is mixed with Britain.
and other countries around Europe would be the same. I'm sure if we dug around we could find a spell that assists in language barriers ;-) but three schools I would have to say would be the max. in europe

Professor Nicolas King said:
Brian Getathorn XIX said:
Births can not be tallied since some years booms and other years there are not.
But the point is there wouldn't be a need for 30 wizarding schools there as the majority should be adults, and hogwarts only accepts 11 year olds.
Despite how many students attend a school I'm going to still disagree on a very simple Economic Principle.

Each Country has it's own set of laws that it is governed by.
This is including the fact that each country have their own Ministry For Magic therefore each country would want the students living in their country to attend a school that would teach them the laws for their country rather than the laws of another country.

Also I never said their were thirty different Schools either I merely stated that there would definately be more than three since you also have Italy and Germany which speak different languages, I would also assume Spain. I would estimate Europe as having around 10 Schools and that's being generous my exact guess would be 6 or 7.

I would suggest America as having perhaps around 5 or 6, For NE NW SE SW and one for Native Americans and Salem.
What's up with "one in the north west, one in the southwest etc." trying to put down locations is silly.

JKR said that American children have A place to go. It was all singular. She intends for the US to have ONE wizarding school for children. (I\m not sure if Salem is it, or a seperate thing)
J.K Rowling said 'A' but that doesn't mean is singular and that wouldn't make since to only have one place to go, She never really thought about a School for Americans so you can't say whether she intended for Ameica to have one school.

J.K. Has also stated that people could create their own American School for Witchcraft and Wizardry so if we take that in consideration we can have as many as we choose.

location wise is simply because the United States is the Size of Europe so it would make since to put a School in each part of the Country, I would assume Canadians would come as well.

But the point is there wouldn't be a need for 30 wizarding schools there as the majority should be adults, and hogwarts only accepts 11 year olds.
Despite how many students attend a school I'm going to still disagree on a very simple Economic Principle.

This is including the fact that each country have their own Ministry For Magic therefore each country would want the students living in their country to attend a school that would teach them the laws for their country rather than the laws of another country.

Also I never said their were thirty different Schools either I merely stated that there would definately be more than three since you also have Italy and Germany which speak different languages, I would also assume Spain. I would estimate Europe as having around 10 Schools and that's being generous my exact guess would be 6 or 7.

I would suggest America as having perhaps around 5 or 6, For NE NW SE SW and one for Native Americans and Salem.
What's up with "one in the north west, one in the southwest etc." trying to put down locations is silly.

JKR said that American children have A place to go. It was all singular. She intends for the US to have ONE wizarding school for children. (I\m not sure if Salem is it, or a seperate thing)
J.K Rowling said 'A' but that doesn't mean is singular and that wouldn't make since to only have one place to go, She never really thought about a School for Americans so you can't say whether she intended for Ameica to have one school.

J.K. Has also stated that people could create their own American School for Witchcraft and Wizardry so if we take that in consideration we can have as many as we choose.

location wise is simply because the United States is the Size of Europe so it would make since to put a School in each part of the Country, I would assume Canadians would come as well.
Very good. you read Ford's previous post. <_<

Now, I would love to see your sources for where JKR said people could create their own American school.
Q: Can American kids go to Hogwarts ? (Kelly)
A: No, they have their own school. You'll find out in Book 4. Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm

Note: School is SINGULAR

Arguements and discussions are two different things.

mayhaps you should learn it? :-0 :p

Very good. you read Ford's previous post. <_<

Now, I would love to see your sources for where JKR said people could create their own American school.
Q: Can American kids go to Hogwarts ? (Kelly)
A: No, they have their own school. You'll find out in Book 4. Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm

Note: School is SINGULAR
Ford's point was Valid so I reiterated it.

As for your site, it was written in 2000, she has changed things since then even she admits that.

As for my source She states on her official Website, www.jkrowling.com. (took me a bit to find the exact location)

In the FAQ's section in the About Me section. The Question is about inserting American's into the School, she says 'if you wish to write about American Wizards (They would have to go to a school) they are free to write their own book'. Now as far as that is concerned that gives liscense to write about any school they want their wizard to attend. Which by contrast means that we could have as many schools for the America's as we choose as long as it fits.

'if you wish to write about American Wizards (They would have to go to a school) they are free to write their own book'

is also singular.
I think, if anything, she wants to go with one school per country, and countries that don't have the births to support a school would send them to the nearest one.

Just because JK doesn't mention other schools, doesn't mean they don't exist. Are we going to beleive that there are no schools in the entirety of the Middle East, Africa, and Asia simply because she doesn't mention them.

Another point, JK said somehwere, I do not recall the exact location that there are about one thousand students in attendance at Hogwarts. She acknowledged the discreptincy in size compared to Harry's class and attributed it to lack of foresight.

'if you wish to write about American Wizards (They would have to go to a school) they are free to write their own book'

is also singular.
I think, if anything, she wants to go with one school per country, and countries that don't have the births to support a school would send them to the nearest one.
Reguardless of what she wants, there might be flat out too many students. The projected world population for 2020 is 7.58 billion. I highly doubt that the wizarding population is not going to increase as well. (Note, this does not mean that that increase will be similar, just that it exists.)

Andromeda Fiorelli said:
ehm... Brian where did you go?
Now my post looks daft with your one gone! :( :blink:
Ya sorry...
I sort of over-reacted/mis-read a portion of his post...

Alright, I am going to lead up a discussion, that will eventually lead to a vote(s), on the wizarding schools that are not Hogwarts, Hogwarts New Zealand, Beauxbatons, or Durmstrang. From my graduation list I noted many who listed themselves as having gone to the wizarding school in Salem, Massachusetts. The problem therein lies in the fact that this is cited, in Goblet of Fire, as the Salem Witches Institute. This would lead me to the assumption that is a girls school, not co-ed. This would require there to be two schools (atleast) in the United States.

This purpose of this discussion is:
1.  To determine how many schools did exist in, primarily, the United States. 

2.  The names of said schools.

3. Weather or not those schools had the same conventions of Hogwarts.  Such as Dueling clubs or championships, prefects, or head boys/girls.

This thread is for calm and logical discussion only. Posters may state their opinions or give a proposition and back up (very important) why they believe that their proposition is the correct one. There will be NO arguments or flame wars in this thread. I will ask the mods that such posts be deleted. If you have a problem with anything going on in this thread, PM me before you take any other actions, please.

Next, this will not make an official site policy. Such an action is beyond our reach at this point. However, rest assured when I am able to discuss that option with the admins, I will. Alicia may negate anything and everything on which we decided here with a word, but I will argue for that not to happen.

Now, in order to spur this discussion:
I believe that there should be, at the very least, two schools in the United States and Canada. This is because it is the Salem Witches School which, I as intimated strongly at before, would indicate a single-sex institution.

I agree that there should be more than one school in the United States and Canada. I see no reason why Canada cannot have their own school. I think that there should be at least two schools in the East since the Salem Witches Institute is girls only, with the second school being either boys only or co-ed. I also believe then that there should be at least one school in the West, such as California or something of the like. Although if that one school is not co-ed then there would need to be another school to balance that out.

Really, I think there should be a school within each timezone of the United States. It makes no sense that a child from Seattle, Washington would travel to Massachusetts to attend school. But in any case, I think at least one on each edge of the country would be sufficient.

I also think that Hawaii should have its own school, since it is so remote. Alaska could either have its own school or travel to a closer one in Canada or the Western side of the United States.

I do not believe that other schools would have the same systems as Hogwarts. They most definitely would not have the same houses, of course. But as for Prefects, we see nothing in the books that indicates that the other schools has similar systems. I would not be opposed to them having some sort of system akin to that of the Prefect system, but I do not believe it would be the same as Hogwarts.

Hogwarts never had a Dueling Championship to our knowledge. While I admit it is possible that one was instituted in later years I do not believe it would have been. After the Battle of Hogwarts the world was a much calmer place, and I doubt that Dueling would have been focused on. The reason they teach the students dueling in Prisoner of Azkaban is because Sirius Black is on the loose and dangerous and they want the students to have some skills protecting themselves.

As for others schools having Dueling Championships, I guess it would depend on the school. Also, would those other schools have Quidditch? We know that Viktor Krum plays Quidditch, but it is not stated to my knowledge whether Durmstrang itself had Quidditch as an extracurricular activity.

Wow, Sophia pretty much said it all.
I will say, I think there should be two Canadian Schools, one in the East and one on the West Coast. Canadian culture is much more different from American culture then many people think. So I'd like to see two co-ed schools in Canada.

Professor Freya Heimdall said:
Wow, Sophia pretty much said it all.
I will say, I think there should be two Canadian Schools, one in the East and one on the West Coast. Canadian culture is much more different from American culture then many people think. So I'd like to see two co-ed schools in Canada.
However Great Britain had but one school and very different irish/british cultures however it serves both locals.

Wow Sophia, that was awesome. Good job.

North America is alot larger than Great Britain, so I don't see why there wouldn't be schools in both the United States and Canada. Plus, there are language differences.

Courtney Potter said:

North America is alot larger than Great Britain, so I don't see why there wouldn't be schools in both the United States and Canada. Plus, there are language differences.
Ok, a french school for quebec.
But otherwise, Canadian kids can go to the states.

Courtney Potter said:

I disagree. I think Canada should have at least one English-Speaking school to itself. As Freya said American and Canadian cultures are in fact different. While I realize the difference is not much I still think it would be beneficial for them to have a school in their own country with the way America is about having people travel into and out of it.

Sophia Stark said:
Courtney Potter said:

I disagree. I think Canada should have at least one English-Speaking school to itself. As Freya said American and Canadian cultures are in fact different. While I realize the difference is not much I still think it would be beneficial for them to have a school in their own country with the way America is about having people travel into and out of it.
XD Good point about the travelling in and out.
But if one school serves all of the UK and Ireland, and Ireland is a free nation, and there are differences in culture, then why would there be two schools in Canada which has less population?
I like the idea of Canada having it's own school. and two schools is better. But it seems to contradict what you see in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back